topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1047609 times)

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #625 on: October 02, 2013, 03:35 PM »
This was the signature tune of a Tv program (no video though):

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:56 PM by Giampy »

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #626 on: October 02, 2013, 03:43 PM »
4 non blondes - Misty mountain hop:

http://vimeo.com/66410009

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #627 on: October 02, 2013, 07:10 PM »
I am not sure, but it seems like a parody or satire of modern music. Personally I prefer TommyVFs remix/cover of it (The video is also pretty good)

Long mix

I saw an interview with Ylvis and yes, they are parodying popular music with all it's accoutrements and smorgasboarding from a handful of other genres.  But then again, when has pop music not borrowed elements from the edges to serve sanitized to the mainstream?  I've always held that pop music was self-parodying most of the time anyway, so when things like this come along, I find there's a particularly gritty irony in that while parodying pop music, they actually came up with a quite listenable... wait for it... pop song
"...gaze into the abyss..."  :huh:

I mean, if this had been about "boy wants/meets/loses girl" or "we're having a great time at this social gathering" instead of ridiculous animal noises, these guys would be, at this very moment, having the world offered to them on a silver platter (in the form of a tidy record contract, of course).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #628 on: October 04, 2013, 04:25 PM »
A little off-topic in the sense that there's no accompanying video, but the music more than makes up for that imo:
nice and mellow--and upbeat at the same time; it gets going about the half-minute mark -

Tonbruket - Peace (2013)
(I dont know anything about the music or the musicians, just came across it..)
Tom

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #629 on: October 05, 2013, 07:21 PM »
That idea of mellow and upbeat at the same time reminds me of The Flashbulb. He has made a few tracks that feature a similar feeling, at least to me. Planet Th is not quite as mellow as Autumn Insomnia Session though. Both also have somewhat interesting music videos accompanying them.

Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #630 on: October 07, 2013, 01:53 PM »
That idea of mellow and upbeat at the same time reminds me of The Flashbulb. He has made a few tracks that feature a similar feeling, at least to me. Planet Th is not quite as mellow as Autumn Insomnia Session though. Both also have somewhat interesting music videos accompanying them.

thanks, enjoyed the first especially :up:
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #631 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06 PM »
I see Ulrich Schnauss as the ultimate in mellow and upbeat at the same time.

Years ago when I wasn't sure how to describe the music to a friend, I said "It's kind of like techno, but also really calming."

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #632 on: October 28, 2013, 10:38 AM »
This is a fun one. WoW's composer Jason Hayes has put together a group of talented professional musicians who will be arranging and performing music from famous computer games. The group is called Critical Hit - and this is their first video, the theme to Angry Birds.

I'm glad they're doing this for two reasons:

1. There is some really great music lurking in many old and new computer games that would sound fantastic if played on something better than a sound chip. Deathgate, M.U.L.E., Elite and a bunch of other games too numerous to list would all be ideal sources for some great musical arrangements.

2. This sort of music is fun to play if you're a musician. Tricky time and key changes, the opportunity to incorporate and show off some unorthodox playing techniques and special effects, and (above all) catchy melodies? Gadzooks! - most musicians I know would be lining up in droves for the chance to audition for this sort of ensemble. Music should be enjoyable to play and listen to. Something far too many composers seem to have trouble understanding.
 :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #633 on: October 28, 2013, 01:28 PM »
This is a fun one. WoW's composer Jason Hayes has put together a group of talented professional musicians who will be arranging and performing music from famous computer games. The group is called Critical Hit - and this is their first video, the theme to Angry Birds.

I'm glad they're doing this for two reasons:

1. There is some really great music lurking in many old and new computer games that would sound fantastic if played on something better than a sound chip. Deathgate, M.U.L.E., Elite and a bunch of other games too numerous to list would all be ideal sources for some great musical arrangements.

2. This sort of music is fun to play if you're a musician. Tricky time and key changes, the opportunity to incorporate and show off some unorthodox playing techniques and special effects, and (above all) catchy melodies? Gadzooks! - most musicians I know would be lining up in droves for the chance to audition for this sort of ensemble. Music should be enjoyable to play and listen to. Something far too many composers seem to have trouble understanding.

That was so @#$%-ing good.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #634 on: October 28, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Total Eclipse of the Heart, Diva Impressions

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #635 on: October 28, 2013, 03:53 PM »

That was fun to watch. Personally I never liked the Angry Birds theme, but the Critical Hit's rendition almost redeemed it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #636 on: October 29, 2013, 10:28 PM »
His name is Aram Bedrosian. The song is called Weightless.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #637 on: November 26, 2013, 02:11 PM »
Somebody I'm starting to listen to. She seems very promising. Great voice and vocal styling too. Displays a vocal maturity and sophistication you might not expect in one so young. And she's from Scotland???

Her name is KT Tunstall.

It's always pretty ballsy for anyone to try covering a Dylan classic. But she does it here with aplomb IMHO.

She also shows talent in that subspecies of music performance called "looping":

Gonna have to keep an eye on this one. 8)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #638 on: November 26, 2013, 04:09 PM »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #639 on: November 26, 2013, 05:08 PM »
Her name is KT Tunstall.

It's always pretty ballsy for anyone to try covering a Dylan classic. But she does it here with aplomb IMHO.

loved it :-* - must go listen again....
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #640 on: November 26, 2013, 06:42 PM »
@wraith - ah Lindsey! Always fun to watch. 8)

@tomos - glad you liked it. I thought it was a really creditable performance too. :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #641 on: November 26, 2013, 06:58 PM »
@wraith - ah Lindsey! Always fun to watch. 8)

If you like Lindsey, have you heard of the violinists that preceded her on AGT?

Nuttin But Stringz

mrHappy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #642 on: November 27, 2013, 02:23 AM »

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who have friends.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #643 on: November 27, 2013, 03:16 AM »
Cool stuff mrHappy  :up:

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #644 on: December 01, 2013, 09:02 AM »
"Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin is played by Lucia Micarelli. This video gives me gooseflesh.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #645 on: December 01, 2013, 11:27 AM »
Snarky Puppy!

If you haven't listened to this collective of 35 or so musicians, take some time out and do so.

From the band's website:

FULL BIO

Snarky Puppy is truly a different kind of musical animal.

The once Texan, now New York-based quasi-collective has gone from the best-kept secret to one of the most respected names in instrumental music. Although still “underground” in many respects, the band has earned high praise from critical stalwarts like the BBC, Village Voice, Guardian, and Boston Herald, and has performed at some of the best venues and festivals in Asia, Europe, Australia, and North America.

The band has always used live performance as its chief form of evangelism, and maintains a more intense tour schedule than almost any band in the idiom. Over the course of 2013, Snarky Puppy will give almost 200 performances and workshops on four continents, including North Sea Jazz, Monterey Jazz Festival, Jazz á Vienne, Blue Note Tokyo, and the Melbourne International Jazz Festival. Their last album, the live DVD/CD “GroundUP,” reached #14 on the Billboard Jazz Charts and #3 on the ITunes Jazz Charts in 2012, topped only by Grammy winners Robert Glasper and Esperanza Spalding.

Snarky Puppy seamlessly fuses a deep knowledge and respect for musical tradition with sonic and conceptual innovation in a way that is able to reach the most critical- or most carefree- audience. The convergence of musicians from white and black America (who also perform regularly with artists like Erykah Badu, Snoop Dogg, Kirk Franklin, Justin Timberlake, Roy Hargrove, and Marcus Miller among others), which occurred while the band was in its adolescence at the University of North Texas, has naturally established a system of balance that instantly draws listeners to the music- raw funk and sensitive dynamics, relentless pocket and lyrical melodicism, lush harmony and soulful simplicity, and most importantly, a delicate mixture of composition and improvisation.

The group is led by award-winning bassist/guitarist/composer/arranger Michael League, whose creative grass-roots approach to a tougher-than-ever industry has created a new model for independent artists. Snarky Puppy is a three-headed creature: first, and most obviously- an original music ensemble. Second- a production team and session band for individual artists. Third, and probably most importantly- Snarky Puppy is a group of musicians enthusiastically committed to music education and community outreach. Working with groups like ROAM (Roots Of American Music) in inner city Cleveland and the Music Lab at Jefferson Center in Roanoke, as well as giving clinics at hundreds of colleges, high schools, and middle schools worldwide, the band has made a strong commitment to spreading their love of music and general positivity to a young generation looking for something real to be inspired by.

The band has several albums out. But my favorites come from their Family Dinner series of live performances. More below

About Family Dinner
On March 8th, 2013, Snarky Puppy and a host of special guests convened at the Jefferson Center in Roanoke VA. The dream, envisioned by Michael League, was to record a series of live performances in audio and video that would bring attention and benefit to the ongoing work of the center. The Jefferson Center is a non-profit arts center that is revitalizing a key neighborhood in Roanoke with the restoration of Jefferson High Schooland the renovation of the Shaftman Performance Hall. the hal;l brings world class music to the local community through the Music Lab, providing education and recording space for local children.

As Snarky Puppy set up to record yet another live recording with the audience on the stage, special guests with an interest in supporting the project arrived. Lalah Hathaway, N'Dambi, Lucy Woodward, and Chantae Cann joined Malika Tirolien, Magda Giannikou, Shayna Steele and Tony Scherr in what was to become a legendary live session that celebrates the diversity and joy of live music. With the stunningly beautiful theater as a backdrop, the result is a masterpiece of Jazz, R&B, Gospel, and Blues music captured for the world to fully experience.

To give you an idea of just how good they are, check out these two videos from Family Dinner. The first features a 12-year old guest singer by the name of Jayna Brown. This tiny girl has to be heard to be believed. (And to think people go so crazy over Lady Ga-Ga...)

Next up is Lalah Hathaway doing what she does best. Be sure to check out the reaction of the band when Lalah starts singing tri-tone chords around the 6 minute mark. The band only realizes what she's doing about a half minute later. Awesome!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:54 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #646 on: December 04, 2013, 09:07 AM »
holy crap, that Snarky Puppy is awesome!  Those are all alpha-prime level musicians.  I was blown away by the chords Lalah Hathaway was singing, wtf?!  And she was controlling the pitch on the fly like that?  It reminds me of the more crude versions of that that I remember from guys like Bob Seger and Kenny Rogers, with their raspy voices kind of doing 2-note chords, but nothing like what Lalah did.

Speaking of Hathaway, here's my good friend Miz Dee doing my favorite version of the Donny Hathaway (Lalah's dad) classic I Love You More than You'll Ever Know:

I recorded this almost 15 years ago, wow.  This is the blues bar where I first cut my teeth.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #647 on: December 04, 2013, 09:20 AM »
@SB - Very much liking Miz Dee! Great arrangement. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #648 on: December 04, 2013, 09:47 AM »
@SB - Very much liking Miz Dee! Great arrangement. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
I miss that place so much.  It was perfect.  Monday nights, right next to the university on the famous Telegraph street.  The blues bar is basement (Harlem style!) of the main bar.  The acoustics perfectly filled the room (look how good it sounds with just a camcorder).  The crowd was real and raw.  And the musicians were awesome.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #649 on: December 09, 2013, 01:46 PM »
This sort of jazz-pop isn't my usual thing. But I liked this recording. Classy for a change. And the pedigree lineup of players is nothing to sniff at. (It includes Pino Palladino - one of the truly great masters of electric bass. Worth a listen just for him alone AFAIC.)

Pino is one of those session bass players that most people won't recognize by name or sight. But he's played (brilliantly) with just about everyone. He's more a "musician's musician" than a star. If anybody's interested, here's an interview with him discussing that flawless performance on fretless bass that put him 'on the radar' (and made half the bass playing world wince with envy) back in the early days of his career.

Pino! Mr. Bassman! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:02 PM by 40hz »