topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019  (Read 465797 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
CHS - Access violation at address 0080DF94 - Read of address 00000008.
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2016, 08:14 AM »
On 2015-05-09 using CHS v2.29.0, I got a spurious error:
Access violation at address 0080DF94 in module
'ClipboardHeIpAndSpeII.exe'. Read of address 00000008.

I was busy editing notes in CHS at the time.
The error did not stop the CHS process, but I closed CHS down and restarted it anyway, just in case, and then got CHS to Verify, Repair, Optimize database .

I can better define this problem now: (see image below - actual text copy is in the spoiler below that)

06_552x524_CCA5E322.png

Spoiler
In CHS, if you leave the cursor inside one or any (not sure if it applies to ALL) of the fields in the Grid pane, and then do a search, then the below Read of address 00000008 error occurs.
In the example below, I had left the cursor inside the Notes field when I did the search.
It seems to make no difference whether the field involved is in a record which is included as one of the search results.
This is a repeatable, non-fatal error.

Screen clipping taken: 2016-01-06 21:16
   ---------------------------
   Clipboard Help+Spell
   Access violation at address 0080E8C8 in module
   'ClipboardHelpAndSpell.exe'. Read of address 00000008.
   OK   

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:00 AM by IainB »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.34.0 - Jan 4, 2016
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Nice work  :up: :up: :up:

I can confirm and reproduce this bug.. It's wonderful that you figured out a reliable way to trigger it, because now I can fix it  :Thmbsup:

Will try to get out an update this week.

Thanks IainB, both for finding the bug and for your good natured spirit about the hunt!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2016, 08:46 AM »
^ You're welcome - and thanks right back to you.   :Thmbsup:
I quite enjoy analysing software problems - if I use that software for my own purposes. It can only tend to benefit myself in the longer term.
I only tripped over it by chance, whilst doing some serious experimentation/discovery with CHS, I felt pleased to have finally found a consistent explanation of the trigger.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v2.36.0 BETA - May 13, 2016
  • [MinorFeature] Added option (Tweaks tab) to disable default behavior of focusing search edit box when toggling display of main window.
  • [MinorFeature] Added option (Interface tab) to not flash/change tray icon when copying clips.
  • [MinorChange] Changed the default values on the maintenance tab to wait longer before moving clips from New to Old section and from Old to Recycle bin.
  • [MinorBugFix] You can now search for - as a single character.
  • [BugFix] Fixed bug where clip title edit field could temporarily disappear if previous clip was an image and window was minimized before capturing a text clip.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the update, but I am getting this when I try to update using the FARR DCUppdater (yes, is the correct spelling):

17_786x488_BAC546EE.png

I haven't figured out what the problem is yet.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure why you are getting that error BUT:
  • This is a Clipboard Help and Spell update, not a FARR update.
  • This is a beta release, not available via the updater or shown on any update check -- just available for download at the BETA link on first post.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ach, I'm half asleep, got no sleep last night.
As to the error message, for always I have had CHS set up as one of several FARR plugins and so that when I run DcUppdater ("Check for updates now" from the standard FARR Help menu), it checks for latest version updates for FARR and all plugins at the same time - updating whatever is listed in the Installables folder - in one hit. I've never seen that error message before, so thought I should mention it. I haven't figured out the root cause yet, but, as I only recently migrated FARR to this new (refurbished) laptop that I am using, I suspect that I may have inadvertently fouled up the FARR DcUppdater settings or not set it "PORTABLE" or something.    :-[
As for it being a CHS Beta update, my apologies - I was in too much of a hurry and did not read the post properly and thus did not register that this latest CHS version was a Beta update. I have now updated it separately via the opening post to this thread.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[BugFix] Fixed bug where clip title edit field could temporarily disappear if previous clip was an image and window was minimized before capturing a text clip.

Thought I should mention this: I noticed by chance in one instance the other day that, when the condition arose where the clip title edit field did happen to temporarily disappear, I chanced to inadvertently restore it by maximising and then minimizing the CHS window.

Since I can't make that condition arise to order, I was unable to test for consistency/repeatability.

vietnam rum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #283 on: September 11, 2016, 09:50 PM »
Read of address 00000008.

I received an Access violation - Read of address 00000008 and found this thread.
Got the error when doing a search - program continued to work after closing  the error boxes.

You message shows  v2.36.0 BETA - May 13, 2016
I can not locate it on our site.

I am running v2.34.0 and it is the only one i see for download.

Thanks, excellent program.
Vietnamrum

vietnam rum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #284 on: September 11, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Just found link to Beta 2.36 on the first page. I did not see it originally because my search took me to page 12.
https://www.donation...pandspell/index.html
Shows 2.34

Forum CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.34.0 - Jan 4, 2016

Please post a sticky with current Beta so it is easy to find.

Thanks, excellent program.
Vietnamrum

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #285 on: October 01, 2016, 07:10 PM »
I have never tried CHS but I'm just wondering, how is CHS's performance once the database gets large such as 400MB+?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a ClipCache Pro database of that size, and ClipCache is painfully slow now with any operation involving that database.

My laptop is reasonably powerful (core i7 5500U, 16GB RAM).

Basically I'm wondering if CHS could handle working with databases of this size better. E.g. I wanted to delete the larger clippings there, or put them into folders by year, but everything is so slow (freezes) that it's just not feasible with ClipCache.

The other thing I'm wondering if it's at all possible to import a ClipCache database into CHS.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2016, 07:16 PM »
@dr_andus: I'd be interested in any CHS performance factors/limitations you may discover on this. Please could you post your results here, as and when any turn up?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2016, 05:01 AM »
how is CHS's performance once the database gets large such as 400MB+?

That's a good question, but i don't know the answer.. If there is interest we could find out -- I could write a function that generates some random clip data and we can see how it performs.

My suspicion is that, assuming the clips are in different "folders", so that it's not trying to sort and search 400mb of data at a time, that CHS will perform pretty well, but that's just my guess.  It's also quite possible that it performs very similarly to ClipCache... A factor involved here is how many clips there are (a relatively small number of large clips will perform better i would guess than a million clips).

What I will say is that CHS does try to "help" you not accumulate 400mb worth of clip data, by employing configurable options that will automatically move default (non-favorited) captured clips by default from new to old to trash groups.

As for importing, CHS doesn't have a way to import clips (though it can export them).  I would be willing to write a simple import function if you can get your data out of your existing program in a fairly clean and simple format.  The easiest would be one line per clip, with a line being just the clip text, no extra data like date, etc.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #288 on: October 03, 2016, 05:24 AM »
Hi mouser - thanks for your reply.

There doesn't seem to be an export function in ClipCache (and it can only import its own older version files).

Yes, the problem is that I have now one mega folder with 46,375 clips accumulated over 4 years, ranging in size from a couple of bytes to 16MB. No matter how I sort it or what I try to do with it, it now takes minutes to complete every operation (such as sort by size or date or search).

This was not by design. I just never had the patience to figure out the app and develop a workflow. Instead, it just runs in the background and saves every clip. This might not be an optimal workflow but it has the advantage that I can find things that I never knew I had (such when I find that I lost a bit of text somewhere ages ago and then I find a copy of it in ClipCache, which is a godsend).

So for me this is a backup solution, as none of my other backups protect me from some apps truncating text while I'm working on it or from me accidentally deleting text. The clipboard memory can be a last resort in finding lost stuff.

I guess I just have to start a new database, so that the current one stops growing.

Don't trouble yourself with the import script. I'll just need to take CHS for a test drive, as I'm curious about those rules you mentioned. Though I wouldn't want to defeat the unconscious backup function.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #289 on: October 03, 2016, 08:00 AM »
I'll just need to take CHS for a test drive, as I'm curious about those rules you mentioned. Though I wouldn't want to defeat the unconscious backup function.

You can stop it deleting anything.
I do remember having some performance issues some years back when I had everything being saved (unfortunately I cant find any record of it). I think it better as mouser says to group older clips in folders maybe by date.
Tom

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2016, 08:45 AM »
@Tom - thanks for the suggestion. Though it's now too late for my 400MB file (it would be just too painful to try to restructure it now), going forward I'll try to use folders by year or month.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v2.38.0 BETA - Dec 16, 2016
  • [Improvement] Significantly improved performance when browsing through clips and adding new clips.
  • [Improvement] Home and End keys now go to top and bottom of grid.
  • [Improvement] New option to not update last view date of clips when browsing (better performance).

You should find that browsing through clips is noticeably faster now -- for some folks the speed improvement may be huge; thanks to Iain for his help tracking down the slowdown.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:48 PM by mouser »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cross-posted from: Re: Problem: CHS consistently very slow to display clips. Need workaround or fix.
This can definitely be flagged as "FIXED" now!
I have downloaded CHS v2.38 BETA Portable.zip and installed it, from
CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.38.0 BETA - Dec 16, 2016

Thanks a lot for doing this speed-up. Nice work. You raised the bar of CHS' performance.   :Thmbsup:
 CHS v2.38 BETA is blazingly fast - just like it should be. Out of interest, I was just comparing it side-by-side with CHS v2.36 BETA on another laptop. No contest!
And thanks also for improving the functional ergonomics of the Home/End keys. It's only a small ergonomic improvement, but, when one uses those keys as frequently as I tend do on a daily basis, then it can all add up so that even a small ergonomic improvement like that can make for a vast improvement over time, in terms of time saved.

By contrast, the speed-up is also an ergonomic improvement, but it's a big deal (massive) improvement for this user, and it changes one's whole perception of the ease-of-use of CHS. After this fix, one can now better use CHS for the sorts of things it should and could have been useful for, by design, but which one had avoided using it for, because it was effectively crippled by such a proverbial PITB. (Because of my critical view and high expectations, I am usually extremely impatient with computer software and can't abide "laggy" functionality in a GUI that I need to use.)

A much happier user now!    :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Odd thing here. Text is in the spoiler below.

18_608x552_8AA9A5F9.png

Spoiler
      CHS "hang" with unusual icon with a little green arrow, in the Systray.
      Whilst messing about on 2016-12-15 (0429hrs) with testing the CHS "laggy" problem (not absolutely sure, but I think it was CHS v2.37), CHS hung (stopped responding), and I noticed that it had this icon with a little green arrow in the Systray. Since I had never seen it before, I took a screenshot, meaning to ask you what the icon signified. Then I killed the CHS process (in Process Hacker) and restarted CHS - and promptly forgot about it.

Then, with CHS v2.38 the same thing happened earlier this morning (2016-12-18) - CHS hung, the little icon was there, and I killed the CHS process (in Process Hacker) and restarted CHS.

I don't know what the little icon with the green arrow signifies. Could it be related to a CHS hang? Since I had never seen it before (previous CHS v2.36), I wondered whether you had introduced it in v2.37.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Under what circumstances would CHS (v2.36) put files:
  • tmpin.txt
  • tmpout.txt
- into the CHS program folder?
I recall taking a clip of the contents of the first file, but there is no clip in CHS, so I may have subsequently deleted it.
The contents of the second file appear to be a very garbled version of the contents of the first file.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That icon will be shown while it's trying to copy a clip to the clipboard.

As for tmpin and tempout, those are used when CHS is trying to invoke a custom external exe tool that you have configured as part of modifying the clipboard text.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^^Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Would love to hear more beta tester reports..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd really love to hear some more reports that the beta works well before I release it officially..

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CHS v2.38 BETA still running very nicely on my Win10-64 Pro super-discounted (>50%) Dick Smith closing-down-sale Intel i7 Pavilion 15 laptop (a nice laptop, but not without its shortcomings).
CHS is now blazingly fast, and, after years of teeth grinding sluggishness - finally, a pleasure to use!    :-*    :Thmbsup:

For Christmas(??), before you wrap it up, I would respectfully request that that you consider these changes (already suggested elsewhere on the DC Forum):
  • restore/ensure the source URL capture to the Grid "Notes" column (I am really missing this. Users wanting this have to tediously manually work around the problem).
  • OCR of any embedded text in image clips (most users would probably be able to make use of this).
  • Enable the optional display of Grid fields (meta data) as selectable, editable and actionable rows beneath the Memo display (most users would probably be able to make use of this, and it would circumvent real and ergonomic problems of editing the Grid fields).
  • restore/correct the meta data for image clips where the CHS image file has been edited (e.g., by SC). (Relevant to all users.)

There is also one new request:    :)   (ingratiating smiley)
  • Enable wiki-like - (say) [[link]] - linking between CHS records - maybe by new/smart use of SQL virtual folders(??).