topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019  (Read 465846 times)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ClipMate is unarguably an amazing program -- only reason I even look at other things is the size and importability of CM.  It goes so far beyond the call of duty for a clipboard extender, it would probably be better referred to as a data management solution with Clip Board monitoring support ;)

ClipMate also seems to be on its last legs. No updates in quite some time. The Forum is dead – probably to fend off complaints about its lack of development. The developer has gone to earth.

Which is why I am looking for an alternative.  If Clipboard Help+Spell can handle the bits that I use, then I am on board.

But how do I transfer all those bits and pieces from ClipMate? Could take time.

-michaelkenward (November 24, 2013, 06:45 AM)

Ken, actually, what I do with CM is to export the clips to individual txt files (File-Export, tag Name file Item Title)
Use X1 on them .. :-)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now that is an interesting question.

Might be time to add some importing options to CHS.

But let's have that conversation in a new thread.  I've started on here: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=36599

Hi Mouser
Any developments on CHS ?
Just wonder, have you been able to tackle the export issues?
(export clips to individual text files adding date-time created)

Keep up the good work!

thanks
=

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
bump

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Sorry, CHS has just been at the back of my to-update queue for for a bit, but I'm just about to get to it in my rotation.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v2.24.01 - July 14, 2014
  • By default now if you copy a clip from the main window, it will be re-added to the CHS database -- usually this will mean bumping it to the top of the quick paste list.  You can change this behavior on the Clipboard options tab.
  • Ctrl+C from the clip memo window now copies that text to the clipboard.
  • You can now customize the title of manually created "note" clips.
  • New option for what to do when user triggers a stack-pop but there is no more clips in the stack.
  • New import option (available in File menu and also in clip right-click menu as "split"); lets you import text with each line as a new clip.
  • Ratings column now has good icons with ratings from 0-9.
  • Flag column can now be edited with any user text.
  • ClipType column now can be edited with any text.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Mouser: Many thanks for those changes. Though they weren't fixing any show-stoppers, I've needed some of those changes for a while - in terms of priority, they come under "Nice-to-have", or maybe "Highly desirable", for me.

There is one niggly annoyance I find with CHS and which has persisted across migration from XP to Win7 to Win8/8.1: the recent clips from the top of the popup Quick Paste Menu (Ctrl+Alt+Q) simply disappear, and you are left with just one or two default items in that list. Is there any way to control this behaviour?

There are also two unexplained problems I have which seem to be CHS-related:
1. After copying some rich text+images from (say) a webpage to Clipboard, when pasting rich text contents, only the bare unformatted text gets pasted. I have to copy the source material twice (in succession) to be able to paste all the RTF content. This is repeatable whether pasting into MS Word or MS OneNote.

2. When pasting such twice-copied RTF content into OneNote, the result is a sort of "smart" paste - the RTF content is pasted correctly, and is followed by a reference string containing the source URL. For example:
"From <https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=36936.new#new>"
However, when pasting such twice-copied RTF content into Word, the content is pasted correctly, but is not followed by any reference string containing the source URL.

In CHS, I use:
  • Ctrl+C - Copy.
  • Ctrl+V - Paste just the text contents from Clipboard. (Modified by an AHK script.)
  • Ctrl+Shift+V - Paste rich text contents from Clipboard. (Modified by an AHK script.)

Ideally, I'd like the RTF Paste into Word to be "smart" - to include the same reference string (URL) as per OneNote - but I'm not sure how to control this.
I know the URL and other source reference data are in the Clipboard, and I know there's a switch in CHS to set some of this ON in a paste template, but the latter would seem clunky for what I am after.
If anyone could help to throw some light on workarounds to control these dynamically, I'd be grateful.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There is one niggly annoyance I find with CHS and which has persisted across migration from XP to Win7 to Win8/8.1: the recent clips from the top of the popup Quick Paste Menu (Ctrl+Alt+Q) simply disappear, and you are left with just one or two default items in that list. Is there any way to control this behaviour?

You are seeing the default behavior of CHS, which is to only show on that menu recent clips from the last few days.
You can find instructions on changing that in this post: https://www.donation....msg357920#msg357920

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ideally, I'd like the RTF Paste into Word to be "smart"
The RTF paste is a current limitation of CHS -- in that it only stores text and images, and not more elaborate clipboard datatypes.  That is on my todo list to improve.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ideally, I'd like the RTF Paste into Word to be "smart"
The RTF paste is a current limitation of CHS -- in that it only stores text and images, and not more elaborate clipboard datatypes.  That is on my todo list to improve.

Yes, that was what I thought, but I could not figure out how come the "smart" paste works into OneNote but not into Word. Are not both pastes being made by CHS? Maybe I misunderstand how it works.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

You are seeing the default behavior of CHS, which is to only show on that menu recent clips from the last few days.
You can find instructions on changing that in this post: https://www.donation....msg357920#msg357920

Got it. Very simple once it's pointed out. Many thanks:
To change the default behavior that only shows recent clips on the quick paste pop-up menu, it's a bit trickier -- unnecessarily complex i would agree: On the menu window right click on the "Quick Paste" group, and choose "Edit this Group", then in the box next to SQL, you can DELETE the phrase "AND CreationDateTime > DateTimeMinusOneDay" or perhaps change it to "AND CreationDateTime > DateTimeMinusThirtyDays"

Mine had been set (I guess as the default) to "=DateTimeMinusOneHour".
I changed it to "=DateTimeMinusThreeDays". I shall see how that goes.
It reminded me that CHS has got some pretty nifty features buried away in the back room.   :Thmbsup:
I must explore it some more...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:43 AM by IainB »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, that was what I thought, but I could not figure out how come the "smart" paste works into OneNote but not into Word. Are not both pastes being made by CHS?

First thing to try always, is just copying and pasting using normal windows clipboard, Ctrl+C followed by Ctrl+V.

When you do that, CHS is totally out of the loop.  So that will show you what the programs can really put on, and retrieve from, the clipboard.  Some programs can put multiple versions of a clip into the clipboard, some versions with extra information that only certain applications know how to handle when it is pasted.

Once you do that, you might find that some applications put extra information into the clipboard that CHS does not perceive or store.  If you copy something to the clipboard (Ctrl+C) but then later paste it using the CHS quick paste menu, then you will see what CHS puts on the clipboard during the paste operation, and if it's less than a native Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Got it. Very simple once it's pointed out. Many thanks:
To change the default behavior that only shows recent clips on the quick paste pop-up menu, it's a bit trickier -- unnecessarily complex i would agree: On the menu window right click on the "Quick Paste" group, and choose "Edit this Group", then in the box next to SQL, you can DELETE the phrase "AND CreationDateTime > DateTimeMinusOneDay" or perhaps change it to "AND CreationDateTime > DateTimeMinusThirtyDays"

Mine had been set (I guess as the default) to "=DateTimeMinusOneHour".
I changed it to "=DateTimeMinusThreeDays". I shall see how that goes.
It reminded me that CHS has got some pretty nifty features buried away in the back room.   :Thmbsup:
I must explore it some more...

Just a note for posterity, to record that the edit/change (above) to the virtual folder called "Quick Paste" does not work and produces the error:

Error DBG109: DBISAM Engine Error # 11949 SQL parsing error -
Expected column name but instead found DateTimeMinusThreeDays in
SELECT SQL statement at line I, column 226

That appears to be because you can only put certain fixed, predefined date/time field names into the SQL, and "=DateTimeMinusThreeDays" is not one of them, as per the note in that particular virtual folder, which says (my emphasis):
A virtual folder shows the contents of all other folders, as filtered by an
sql conditional expression based on database fields.  You can use a
virtual folder for example to show all entries in a certain date range, or
just clips marked favorites, or clips from certain groups, or any
combination.

ex.: IsFavorite=true AND Application like ultraedit

You can also use some special fields to test for special folders:
IsInRecyleBin, IsInClipboard, IsInClipboardNew , IsInClipboardOld ,
IsInFavorites

And some special date/time fields: DateTimeCurrent ,
DateTimeMinusThirtyMinutes , DateTimeMinusOneHour ,
DateTimeMinusSixHours , DateTimeMinusTwelveHours ,
DateTimeMinusOneDay ,DateTimeMinusTwoDays ,
DateTimeMinusFiveDays, DateTimeMinusSevenDays ,
DateTimeMinusFourteenDays, DateTimeMinusThirtyDays

ex. ModificationDateTime > DateTimeMinusTwoDays  AND NOT
IsInRecycleBin will show all items added in the last two weeks that is
not currently in the recyclebin subtree.

So I plumped for"=DateTimeMinusTwoDays", which seems to be working fine for my needs, at present.

Yours truly, of course, did not read/register the full import of the above information before making the initial change. If I had, then I would not have created the error.
More haste, less speed...    :-[
One is fortunate if one learns something new every day.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you could put in a custom date expression if you wanted to get a very specific time period.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, that was what I thought, but I could not figure out how come the "smart" paste works into OneNote but not into Word. Are not both pastes being made by CHS?

First thing to try always, is just copying and pasting using normal windows clipboard, Ctrl+C followed by Ctrl+V.

When you do that, CHS is totally out of the loop.  So that will show you what the programs can really put on, and retrieve from, the clipboard.  Some programs can put multiple versions of a clip into the clipboard, some versions with extra information that only certain applications know how to handle when it is pasted.

Once you do that, you might find that some applications put extra information into the clipboard that CHS does not perceive or store.  If you copy something to the clipboard (Ctrl+C) but then later paste it using the CHS quick paste menu, then you will see what CHS puts on the clipboard during the paste operation, and if it's less than a native Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

Yes. You are right, of course.
As a test, I shut down CHS, and tried the copy/paste and the copy-copy/paste, copying from a web page in Firefox and pasting into OneNote and Word.
The result:
  • The copy/paste pastes just the plain, unformatted text into OneNote and Word.
  • The copy-copy/paste pastes the RTF (formatted text and images) into OneNote and Word, but with the difference that a formatted string containing the web page URL is pasted at the end of the clip as, for example:
  • "From <https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=36936.new#new>"

OneNote always specially formats URLs pasted into it, and in this case it presumably collects the URL from the Clipboard (which contains all the available data about the clip), puts angle brackets around it, formats it and precedes it with a formatted text string "From ".

In Firefox, the first Copy is a result of auto-copy on mouse-selected text. The second copy is made using Ctrl-C. If I copy from a webpage in IE, there is no function for auto-copy on mouse-selected text, so the first and second copies are made using Ctrl+C. So there are evidently idiosyncrasies in the browsers. Also, pasting from IE takes a lot longer (even has a progress bar) than from Firefox, which is almost instantaneous.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you could put in a custom date expression if you wanted to get a very specific time period.

Thanks. Could you give me an example please?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think something like this would work

AND CreationDateTime > DateTimeCurrent-3

I *THINK* that would work and give you three days back.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^^ Thanks. That errors out - doesn't seem to work - though it looks like it should.
I don't know what the syntax/rules are for this.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll have to play with it and report.. sometimes I feel like I don't know my own software   :-[

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser, thanks for the update.
have you been able to check the issues reported in posts

- Suggestion: Updated Find and Replace
- Export to single .txt files (adding date-time)
- Export to txt-Import into Excel-some minor flaws

keep up the good work!
=

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v2.25.04 Beta - October 5, 2014
  • [Feature] Hotkey to display main window (Ctrl+Alt+W by default) now toggles display of main window.
  • [Feature] You can now right-click on a clip in the quick-paste-menu item to show the "more actions" menu for that clip (instead of having to hold shift and left-click).
  • [Feature] Attempt to make CHS smarter about moving to last row in view (should only happen now when the newly added item is visible); currently experimental -- can be disabled on Tweaks tab.
  • [Feature] Added "Add note" to right-click CHS tray menu.
  • [Feature] Quick toggle of inline/live spelling of memos with button on memo toolbar.
  • [Feature] Group ID# now shown in Edit Group box.
  • [Feature] New clip grid menu items for creating new groups based on selection (moves clips) or search (creates a virtual group).
  • [Feature] Group tree drop target is now highlighting while dragging over it.
  • [Feature] Quick search/filter now provides a drop-down of favorite searches; set favorites in the Misc. Options 2 tab.
  • [Feature] Added icons to group/tree right-click context menu.
  • [Feature] Better statusbar info about selected group; reports total # clips in view and # selected.
  • [BugFix] Experimental fix to improve directory existence checks for network folders.
  • [BugFix] Fixed bug interacting with some other programs (e.g. TinySpell).
  • [BugFix] Right/Shift-clicking on quick-paste menu could sometimes trigger right-click context menu of the application under the cursor.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:09 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've added a couple of important features to the beta; i'd appreciate any bug reports.

New stuff:
  • [Feature] New clip grid menu items for creating new groups based on selection (moves clips) or search (creates a virtual group).
  • [Feature] Group tree drop target is now highlighting while dragging over it.
  • [Feature] Quick search/filter now provides a drop-down of favorite searches; set favorites in the Misc. Options 2 tab.
  • [Feature] Better statusbar info about selected group; reports total # clips in view and # selected.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:08 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm going to try to make a couple more screencast videos about CHS and maybe redo the old introductory video.  Just going over tips and tricks and some of the more unusual features.  Let me know if there are some features or operations you'd like me to hit on.

Old existing screencasts are here: https://www.donation....com/screencasts/chs

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've made a bunch of improvements that could hypothetically cause problems, so i'd love to hear more reports of beta testers before i release this one as official.  anyone?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.26.0 - Oct 8, 2014
« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2014, 02:34 AM »
v2.26.0 is official.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.26.0 - Oct 8, 2014
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2014, 05:11 AM »
Only got to update today: Win7 x64

I had long ago removed the hotkey to open the main window - the toggle key tempted me to add it again:
  • I am unable to add Ctrl+Alt+W it keeps changing it to Ctrl+Alt+V
  • Alt+W gets changes to 'None'
All other letter are working fiine as shortcuts, and the 'W is working correctly otherwise

It is a German keyboard which should not make any difference -
Spoiler
maybe it's pronouncing the 'W' with a German accent? :-[

(Note: Ctrl+Alt+W was previously being used by Popup quotes, so I removed it there and closed popup quotes - but the problem remained)
Tom