topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019  (Read 465867 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Even though I'm not much for name changes in general, codyclips does sound good :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
@mouser: Sorry I posted this here:
Re: V2 Beta of Clipboard Help+Spell With Support for Images
I think it should have been in this thread.
@mouser:
CHS seems to be working really nicely for me now, and the image support is sometimes exceedingly useful. THANKYOU!    :Thmbsup:

Feedback and suggestions/notes:
See if you can identify what triggers these remaining problems. [sporadic DBISAM errors]
Belated feedback on this: These errors seem to have "gone away".

Plus, some interesting notes:
1. Taken from the ReadMe.txt file of LeeLu Soft's Clipboard Rules 1.0:
Spoiler
Clipboard Rules 1.0 - a freeware by LeeLu Soft 2011
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clipboard Rules is a unique and simple to use clipboard monitoring tool that can trigger different actions based on the text loaded to the clipboard.
The rules applied only to text strings loaded to the clipboard.
It is a small and portable utility.

How to use Clipboard Rules
--------------------------------------------
Clipboard Rules is a portable application, there is no install process, just unzip the file to any folder and run it.

Using Clipboard Rules, like all other LeeLu Soft programs, is very simple.

The application starts minimized in the system tray, a click on the Clipboard Rules tray icon will open the main form, a right click on the Clipboard Rules tray icon will open a popup options menu.

To add a rule, click on the "Add Rule..." button, this will open the rules editor.
Here you define the rules, some of the properties are mandatory properties:

- Rule name - this is the rule identifier and it is mandatory.
- Text to trigger rule - this is the text that when loaded to the clipboard will trigger the action rule, this is case sensitive and mandatory.

- Execute a program or batch file - check this checkbox to enable execution when rule is triggered and enter or browse the full path and file name to execute, red text means the file doesn't exists, blue text means files exists.

- Write to a log file - check this checkbox to write a log entry for every time the rule is triggered, enter or browse the full path and file name (will be created if not exists) for a text log file, red text means path doesn't exists, blue text means path exists.

- Open windows explorer in - check this checkbox to open a specific folder when rule is triggered, enter or browse the full path to the selected folder, red text means path doesn't exists, blue text means path exists.

- Replace clipboard text - check this checkbox and enter a new text to replace the clipboard text when a rule is triggered, check the "Append text to clipboard text" checkbox to append the new text to the existing clipboard text.

- Popup a message - check this checkbox to popup a message when a rule is triggered.

- Show desktop alert - check this checkbox to show a desktop alert (same as new mail in outlook) when a rule was triggered.

- Save - rule will add the new rule to the rules list and will clear the edit fields.
- Clear - click to clear the edit fields.
- Exit - to exit the rules editor back to the main form.

Now you can see your new rule on the rules list and it is active.
To edit a rule, double click on it and the Rules editor will open with the rule loaded.
To delete a rule, select it and click "Delete Rule"
To pause a rule, select it and click "Pause rule"
To activate a paused rule, select it and click "Activate rule"
Selecting a rule, will display his status on the status bar.

You can minimize it to tray again by clicking on the "Tray" button.

Clipboard Rules must run (better minimized to tray) in order to trigger actions based on rules.

2. Yankee Clipper - YCX <--> YC3 comparison.
CHS would seem to surpass most of the features of these two.

3. Would it be useful to add the option in CHS to periodically re-establish the clipboard chain?
This is currently done by manual selection as and when the chain breaks.
Since the chain breaking could happen at any time and is outside of the control of CHS, it might be worth considering an option setting to re-establish the chain at variable intervals (e.g., 10mins. or 30mins.)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i wonder why no one has requested that before.. sure that's easy enough to do.
Because it shows that way on the popup already?  It only matters (to me) when using the main window.

though note that another way to look at your request is to say that you can just ignore the title field (and event hide it from display if you like), and just look at the excerpt field, which you can show in quick paste menu and show in the grid, etc.

so i'm happy to add it, but if you are desperate for it, might it be the case that you aren't sure how to have the excerpt column do the job you want it to do?
I hadn't noticed the "excerpt" field   :-[  I had to give myself a short refresher on how to reorder columns, too.  Putting "excerpt" as the first column, then "title," "created," and "data size" seems to work well for me.  The new title token %shortexcerpt% looks potentially useful, depending on set up.

By the way, I just looked at the CHS page again, and realised you can customize the layout.  I've not found it very easy, but, how do you "save layouts for easy switching," and is there a quick "panic button" way to get back to the default layout in case of screwing it up?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
but, how do you "save layouts for easy switching," and is there a quick "panic button" way to get back to the default layout in case of screwing it up?

Yes and yes.  All under the "Presets" menu -- I should rename that to "Layouts".  Im not sure why it deserves a top-level menu of its own except that in the early days i envisioned people might be switching often between different layouts.

Note that you can save not just the tiled panel layouts, but it will also save the column list as well, which can be useful.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All under the "Presets" menu -- I should rename that to "Layouts".

Thanks!  Renaming it would be good, especially as there's another Presets menu for a different purpose under Modify Format/Case for an individual clip.

OK, I can now Save my layout as a named file, and revert to the Last layout, but how do I load a named layout?  The Presets menu has a Save As item but not an Open item.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
but not an Open item.

you just select an item in that menu to load it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you just select an item in that menu to load it.
Do you mean that saved layouts should appear as entries in that menu?  Because mine doesn't.  I have a saved layout, with three files, .grid, .dock and .preset, but the only menu entries are Standard, NewClips, Last, ColumnCustomizer, and Save As.

Does it matter where they're saved?  I didn't run the installer as such, but unzipped it into its own directory.  However, it wanted to save the layout files into
user account\Documents.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah that sounds like a flaw... i'll look into it. 
It should be saving them into the program configdir\PresetViews

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah that sounds like a flaw... i'll look into it. 
It should be saving them into the program configdir\PresetViews
I just tried moving the three preset files from user account\Documents into program  configdir\PresetViews before starting CHS, but it still doesn't show my new preset in the menu.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've pushed a new version which solves rjbull's problem -- though it's important to remember that if you are running CHS without installing it (i.e. in portable mode), you need to edit the configdir.ini file to set the program to run in portable mode or to save its files in the current directory.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've pushed a new version which solves rjbull's problem
I confirm that it now works as expected, provided you edit the config to be portable  :-[

Thanks, mouser.

[Edit 2011-08-10, 22:22] As mouser suggested above, he's also changed main menu item Presets to Layouts in the latest version, which does make sense. [/Edit]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:25 PM by rjbull »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@mouser: I said above:
3. Would it be useful to add the option in CHS to periodically re-establish the clipboard chain?
This is currently done by manual selection as and when the chain breaks.
Since the chain breaking could happen at any time and is outside of the control of CHS, it might be worth considering an option setting to re-establish the chain at variable intervals (e.g., 10mins. or 30mins.)
However I just noticed that, as well as the manual "Re-establish Clipboard Chain", the Options include Clipboard | Clipboard tricks | Re-establish clipboard periodically. Is that the same things as what I was asking for - "periodically re-establish the clipboard chain"?
If so, then I apologise for not having spotted it before.      :(
CHS is in a state of dynamic change, so there's sometimes lots  of new stuff for me to discover about it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yep, that's it.

TheManRetired

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello, I am having a problem downloading the new version, for some reason in Firefox 5 and now 6 it will get to where I click on the location to save the file and then it just sits there and does nothing, is there some way you can send the file to me by email as I can get it there. The dcupdater program does the same thing also, so I don't think it is on my end but it could be, if you know how to fix this so I can get the updated programs I would love it. I also have the same problem with the Screenshot captor program. Thanks for the very good programs. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's really stranage.  Did you try with another web browser -- chrome or internet explorer or opera?
If those still don't work, send me a message and i will try to email you a copy.  But it's not a good permanent solution so it would be nice to find the real cause.
Maybe some security software on your pc?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CHS v2.04.01: If I copy an image or text from a .CHM file (Microsoft proprietary compressed HTML Help file format), it appears in CHS correctly as image or text, but the "source application" in CHS seems to always be incorrectly given as the last application you happened to take a clip from.
I'm not sure if this a bug in CHS or a reflection of the fact that when you open a CHM file:
"The Help Viewer uses the underlying components of Microsoft Internet Explorer to display help content."
(This quote is from Help for HTML.HELP in the file htmlhelp.chm.)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CHS v2.04.01: If I copy an item from the active window of any application using the Clip to OneNote copy crosshairs (invoked by pressing key combination Windows+S), the area in the rectangle drawn by the crosshairs is correctly copied to OneNote as an image and into CHS as an image, but CHS records it as coming from:
Microsoft Office OneNote (Microsoft Office OneNote Quick Launcher) [ONENOTEM.EXE]
I suppose, but am not sure, that this could be because the OneNote Quick Launcher takes control and passes the clip to the clipboard, which is where CHS gets the source application name from.
Whatever the sequence of events, the real source is lost - together with any associated URL if the source happened to be a browser.
Can this be fixed (i.e., somehow capture the original source), or are we stuck with it?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CHS v2.04.01: If I change the settings in Options | Backup/Maintenance | Automatic Filing, some of the items are consistently restored to their previous settings.

Is this meant to happen, or can it be fixed?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
which settings? This was pointed out to me before but i was sure i fixed it in most recent release.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I just checked and looks like it is happening for me also.

Screenshot - 9_9_2011 , 12_33_21 PM.pngCLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019

Un-checked all three boxes and Accept.
Then exited/closed CHS in tray.  Re-started CHS, looked and all three boxes were checked again.

Screenshot - 9_9_2011 , 12_44_03 PM.pngCLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019

Any other settings that should be changed to make it stick.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nope looks like a bug then -- maybe i just never made the latest version public..
Either way, I know the issue so look for an update this weekend where it will be fixed.

ps. thanks for the report  :up:

TheManRetired

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's really stranage.  Did you try with another web browser -- chrome or internet explorer or opera?
If those still don't work, send me a message and i will try to email you a copy.  But it's not a good permanent solution so it would be nice to find the real cause.
Maybe some security software on your pc?
Sorry so long getting back but had some medical problems, yes I tried IE9, Opera and same thing happens with them. Don't know why but it is only this site that I have problems downloading, even CNET's stupid new download program doesn't give me problems and I don't have any idea why.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Minor update:

2.05.01 - September 11, 2011
  • [BugFix] Dialogs were not adjusting for machines with Large Font setting resulting in cramped dialog text.
  • [BugFix] The auto filing checkbox options were always being forced on.

I will try to post a more substantial update later this week.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Minor update:

2.05.01 - September 11, 2011
  • [BugFix] The auto filing checkbox options were always being forced on.

Works fine for me now.
Not able to report on the other fix.

Thanks for the update.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bugfix release, but highly recommended:
v2.06.01 - September 18, 2011
  • [BugFix] The information about the executable process for some application windows was not being parsed properly -- causing CHS to attribute captures to incorrect applications sometimes.
  • [BugFix] CHS was occasionally wasting cpu cycles while idle if it could not detect application window information.