topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Do you keep two computers synchronized? i.e. work + home. If so, how?  (Read 70164 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do you keep two computers synchronized? i.e. work + home. If so, how?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 03:46 PM »
I don't have any use for such, but because I use Linux at home, I looked into it briefly. Here's some Linux solutions:

DirSync Pro
http://directorysync.sourceforge.net/
Synchronization
Powerful synchronization algorithm
Bidirectional (Two way) and Unidirectional (One way) synchronization mode
Synchronizes unlimited number of folders
Large number of options to change the synchronization behavior
Option to synchonise subdirectories recursively
Synchronizes files/folders any file system (FAT, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, WinFS, UDF, Ext2, Ext3, ...)
Synchronizes files from/to network drives
Synchronizes files from/to any mounted devices (Harddisks, USB-Sticks, Memory cards, External drives, CD/DVD's, ...)
Synchronization could be used for making incremental backups.
Option for handling symbolic links
Option for handling time-stamps
General
Easy, clear and user-friendly graphical user interface, no unnecessary gadget you never use.
Runs on every modern operating system including Windows™, Linux™ and Macintosh™
Open source, it is 100% free of charge, 100% free of commercial text, 100% free of advertisements and 100% free of spyware.
No time/function limitations
Uzes no local database, so no overhead
Does not need any installation. Just download and run it. You can put it on you USB-stick en you can run it on any computer/any platform.
Logging
Advaned logging/reporting facilities. Just select a log level and define where to write the log.
Option to log on application level (default log)
Option to log on each directory level (dir log)
Option to define the log leven (how much to log)

Conduit (for Gnome)
http://www.conduit-project.org/
Conduit is a synchronization application for GNOME. It allows you to synchronize your files, photos, emails, contacts, notes, calendar data and any other type of personal information and synchronize that data with another computer, an online service, or even another electronic device.

Conduit manages the synchronization and conversion of data into other formats. For example, Conduit allows you to;

Synchronize your Tomboy notes with another computer
Synchronize your your PIM data to your mobile phone, iPod, Nokia Internet tablet, or between computers
Upload photos to Flickr, Picasa, SmugMug, ShutterFly and your iPod,
... and many more
Any combination you can imagine, Conduit will take care of the conversion and synchronization.

MultiSync
http://multisync.sou...ceforge.net/news.php
MultiSync is a free modular program to synchronize calendars, addressbooks and other PIM data between programs on your computer and other computers, mobile devices, PDAs or cell phones. MultiSync works on any Gnome platform, such as Linux.

Those were the best-looking ones I could find.
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:51 PM by Edvard »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Also see this thread that zaine started in 2006 on synchronization softwares.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 11:07 PM »
I didn't know you had the server space already urlwolf.

I like GoodSync for between my computers and I'm sure it would work.
It is about $30 for the pro version but it is loaded with features.
A one time charge for the program.
I bought it and don't really need it I like it so much.
Check out the trial and see if it meets your agenda.
I don't think there is a limit on how many sync jobs to create.
Any deleted files go to the respective computers recycle bin.
I think the features are very flexible with filters and exclude options.
As well as more that more experienced users would use.

http://www.goodsync.com/index.html

It may be too simple, I don't know.
Depends on the needs I reckon.
It sets in the tray works auto or manual.
And yes push one option from the tray and all sync jobs are performed for manual.
Might want to practice with test files for different scenarios.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 12:33 AM »
http://DropBox. Only 2GB at the moment, but in the very near future 50GB. It just doesn't get easier than this, they solved the problem. You don't have to push a button.

I've used DropBoks (not Box, thats a different service) ever since it first showed up on the web - small files for school and personal stuff, but it it freaking awesome how they keep it simple, yet powerful behind the scenes. Familiar interface, compressed.

EDIT: Also, unlike DropBox, DropBoks doesn't require a download - you upload and download your files in a small explorer-like box.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:36 AM by wreckedcarzz »

megar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 01:35 AM »
I use subversion (command line client) and a centrally subversion server.

The only downside is that it takes twice the needed bytes.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 01:04 PM »
http://DropBox. Only 2GB at the moment, but in the very near future 50GB. It just doesn't get easier than this, they solved the problem. You don't have to push a button.

I've used DropBoks (not Box, thats a different service) ever since it first showed up on the web - small files for school and personal stuff, but it it freaking awesome how they keep it simple, yet powerful behind the scenes. Familiar interface, compressed.

EDIT: Also, unlike DropBox, DropBoks doesn't require a download - you upload and download your files in a small explorer-like box.

Yeah, I've always been impressed with DropBoks. Wasn't too sure how long it would last though so I never tested it long term.

Has the service been stable for you wrecked? I'm afraid the service might disappear one day because of it's similarity to DropBox's name.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 12:50 PM »

I just tried out DropBoks. It's almost completely useless because it doesn't have an easy way to upload an entire directory and all subdirectories. Instead it forces you to manually create each directory, navigate into the directory, then browse your computer into the appropriate directory, then upload all files from the directory. But any subdirectories are ignored and you have to start the process over again.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 01:03 PM »
http://www.xdrive.com/

5 gb of free storage with sync capabilities
desktop app is adobe air now
much better then the first program they had
or there is a web interface that works very good

I just signed up for Xdrive, and I don't understand my confirmation e-mail:

Congratulations! We received your registration for [[email protected]]. AOL(R) is proud to have you as a member of our online community.

Confirm your email address now! If you requested to reserve this email address as part of the AOL(R) Screen Name Service, please select the "Yes, I made this request" link below. Otherwise, if this was not requested by you, please select the "No, I did not make this request" link below to reject this request.

Yes, I made this request and I want to reserve this email address as part of the AOL Screen Name Service

No, I did not make this request and I do not want my e-mail address registered with the AOL Screen Name Service

To learn more about AOL Screen Name Service, please visit the Screen Name Service Web site at http://my.screenname.aol.com.

Thank you,

Screen Name Service Team

So... Yeah. I DO want to confirm my e-mail address for Xdrive, but I don't want need an AOL Screen Name. Suggestions?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 03:50 PM »

I just tried out DropBoks. It's almost completely useless because it doesn't have an easy way to upload an entire directory and all subdirectories. Instead it forces you to manually create each directory, navigate into the directory, then browse your computer into the appropriate directory, then upload all files from the directory. But any subdirectories are ignored and you have to start the process over again.

True but with the size available to you in DropBoks, it's really more a hassle if you had to restructure your directory just to reduce the space it takes.

Applications like these appeal more towards people who want a free online usb stick than a synching or backup system.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 01:04 AM »
Anyone tried OpenDrive? 1 GB at the moment, but looks promising. Not mentioned at DC so far.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 01:47 AM »
Applications like these appeal more towards people who want a free online usb stick than a synching or backup system.

I organize my USB stick with directories as well.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56 AM »

I organize my USB stick with directories as well.

As do I. Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant to say was whenever I have a new usb stick, I find half the fun is to recreate all the directories and subdirectories and see if I get a better structure than before rather than uploading the old folders.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 07:40 AM »
+2 on organizing my USB sticks as well...  :Thmbsup:

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 08:45 AM »
http://www.xdrive.com/

5 gb of free storage with sync capabilities
desktop app is adobe air now
much better then the first program they had
or there is a web interface that works very good

I just signed up for Xdrive, and I don't understand my confirmation e-mail:

Congratulations! We received your registration for [[email protected]]. AOL(R) is proud to have you as a member of our online community.

Confirm your email address now! If you requested to reserve this email address as part of the AOL(R) Screen Name Service, please select the "Yes, I made this request" link below. Otherwise, if this was not requested by you, please select the "No, I did not make this request" link below to reject this request.

Yes, I made this request and I want to reserve this email address as part of the AOL Screen Name Service

No, I did not make this request and I do not want my e-mail address registered with the AOL Screen Name Service

To learn more about AOL Screen Name Service, please visit the Screen Name Service Web site at http://my.screenname.aol.com.

Thank you,

Screen Name Service Team

So... Yeah. I DO want to confirm my e-mail address for Xdrive, but I don't want need an AOL Screen Name. Suggestions?

Deozaan, you now have an aol email account. As I do.
I don't use it, it just sits there with one message in it, the welcome message.

When signing into XDrive just use the screen name that you choose, as it says, and no need for the '@aol.com'.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Why is it so freaking difficult/risky to sync two pst files?

Primarily because a pst file is a database rather than a simple collection of individual message files. Your Outlook e-mail application enforces its own internal integrity and structure checks on the database. Hard to tell exactly how Outlook tracks things, but I would assume it hashes the pst file periodically and stores the result internally. It then checks the latest hashkey when it opens the pst file. If there's a mismatch, it knows some other app has changed the pst file. Outlook tends to view any changes made to pst by outside programs as file corruption.  So to do it correctly, Microsoft would need to provide some sort of "smart merge" feature for pst files. And  I doubt MS will be in any rush to provide that feature since it would remove some of the rationale for needing to buy MS Exchange. ;D

Strikes me it would be simplicity for MS to ensure data inegrity. Do an MD5 check on the PST file (or similar) and store its hash value as the last few bytes of the file. When Outlook opens the file it can read the has value and recalculate the has with the rest of the file and compare them. That way PST files would be portable instead of a PITA !

One way you can keep Outlook up to date across different systems is to import the PST file across the network without allowing duplicates to be copied. Not convenient (reasonably fast if you have a Gigabit network) but could be automated I suppose. The advantages of this to open and copy to folder are firstly the import without duplicates is automated and secondly you are not 'opening' the PST files on the other system so Outlook on eacy system is unaware that the file has been used by another version of Outlook. Also if the PST files are in Outlook 2000-2003 format it should work across and between all Outlook 2000-2007 versions.

My preferred method is to keep the PST file as small as possible and hive off all my email into MailStore Home (allowing MailStore to delete all emails in Outlook older than a certain number of days so that the PST file doesn't grow too big). You can then sync those MailStore database files without any problem across systems. If you get Mailstore Home Plus you can even automate the archiving of all your email to MailStore and the auto-deletion of email from Outlook. Since Mailstore only deals with email, I also use Outlook's Archive to move dead tasks, calendar entries, Notes etc. into an Archive PST file, that would need to be imported on each system o keep things up to date but since it only contains older tasks etc. it doesn't need to be synced that often.

Another approach with outlook would be to use a search app (such as X1 Pro) that can sync PST file content across a network so that the data is searchable without actually being moved. You could then index all of your PST files on each computer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:35 AM by Carol Haynes »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Thanks, Carol - I'll try the MailStore Home route (I've had it installed in the past). All I am worred about are e-mails, so this should be the perfect solution. I also have X1 Pro, but I don't have a server set up and would like all e-mail to be local. MailStore Home is an attractive idea because if I am reading your post correctly, I shouldn't have too much trouble syncing between multiple comptuers (at the moment I have five of my own plus my wife's work notebook).

Alternatively, I am open to the idea of switching to a different client. I used to love Eudora - it was so easy to take your e-mail and e-mail settings with you.

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • BECOMING A WRITER SERIOUSLY
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 10:04 AM »
This thread speaks to one of my own greatest concerns.  I have some information to add that has not yet been mentioned.

FIRST, I'm evaluating a new facility, still in beta, called Syncplicity, available at www.syncplicity.com.

This open-source facility keeps the core files you designate at an online "cloud" hub.  You can access it from any computer world-wide via your browser.  BUT it also has a desktop-side program which allows you to designate just which files you wish to synchronize.  So far, I've got my laptop and desktop in Mexico sync'd up.  Whenever I changed a file on one computer, the change would ripple up to the online hub and then back down to the second computer.  Worked beautifully.

Now I'm at my other residence half-way around the world.  Of course, I brought my laptop with me -- probably for the very last time since the new US Customs policy of seizing laptops willy-nilly, for no announced reason.

I'm planning on setting up a desktop here too, and introducing Syncplicity.  Once I set it up, I'll be interested to see if all of my "sync'd" folders get automatically downloaded into that new desktop.  I expect it to happen flawlessly.

Assuming my expectations are fulfilled, I'll be one happy computer user.  I've been searching for such a facility for 11 years, ever since I established two residences.

BUT THERE'S MORE:  I read a couple months back that Microsoft has yet another OS in the works, to follow eventually on the heels of Windows 7, which is expected to be out within a year or two.  This new OS has built right into it the facility to maintain core files ONLINE, with synchronized dumps back onto whatever computers one uses.  Fabulous idea.

In fact, I see a subtle movement among many software developers in this direction.  The new iteration of  the free facility EVERNOTE is a prominent example.  Also there are new efforts underway to set up "virtual desktops" which are accessible both online and off, all synchronized.  I've already experimented with one of these that is in very early beta stages of development.  It's promising, but requires very fast internet connections and computers.

I'm beginning to make judgments about which software to buy and install based on similar considerations.  I'm beginning to look very carefully at purchase licenses of software I'm considering for purchase.  Those that allow installation on only one computer will have a difficult time earning my acceptance.  On the other hand, I'll be favorably inclined toward those that allow a single user to install the software on more than one computer, as long as only one is in use at any given time.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 10:30 AM »
Sounds good, Syncplicity is not open source though? At least I couldn't find it and they've got pricing plans.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I like the sounds of Synplicity as well...

justice, I found this in the faq:

Price
How can you afford to offer Syncplicity for free?
We’re offering Syncplicity for free during our Beta period in order to test out the service and get as much of your valuable feedback as possible. It’s also one of the ways we want to thank you for starting to use Syncplicity early on, putting up with the occasional bug, and helping us build a product that suits your needs exactly. The Beta period will end on July 28th, 2008.

After the beta, Syncplicity will still offer free accounts. Please see our pricing for more information

So it looks like we missed the free beta by a good couple of months...

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 02:20 PM »

BUT THERE'S MORE:  I read a couple months back that Microsoft has yet another OS in the works, to follow eventually on the heels of Windows 7, which is expected to be out within a year or two.  This new OS has built right into it the facility to maintain core files ONLINE, with synchronized dumps back onto whatever computers one uses.  Fabulous idea.

This is what I'd expect an OS to do nowadays. A pity that it's M$ who implements it first.
I'm sure it'll be copied.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this should be a core OS thing. I'm also scared that M$ could have control over my files in the cloud though.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 07:55 PM »
justice, I found this in the faq:

Price
...After the beta, Syncplicity will still offer free accounts. Please see our pricing for more information

:-[ I didn't even read the quote closely enough the first time to notice this  :o

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2008, 02:55 AM »
the free accounts come with 2GB just like dropbox.  :Thmbsup:

wwdj

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2008, 07:51 AM »
Hi ,

Full disclosure here: I work for http://www.nomadesk.com, which offers small business users (or nomadic professionals, as we like to call ourselves) an innovative way to share documents and work together on a “virtual fileserver.” I found this topic thanks to google, and just wanted to add NomaDesk to the discussion.

Since the size seems very important for you guys , I can tell you the following :

We don't have any limits and you don't have to wait/look for an invitation code, you can just go to http://www.nomadesk.com and download our application!
Check out our movie on our homepage and you will be convinced!

Thanks!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2008, 12:52 PM »
Time Machine is very impressive.

I also suspect it's just Subversion VCS tricked out with one of those stunningly beautiful front-ends Mr. Jobs & Co. do so well. Apple actually made version control look pretty. That's gotta be some sort of breakthrough right there.
Nah, nothing to do with subversion - simply a bunch of hardlinks.

rsnapshot works similarly for lunix systems.

- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2008, 01:04 PM »
Welcome to DC, wwdj, and thanks for telling us about Nomadesk. When I have some time, I'll give it a whirl. For now, as much as this kind of solution appeals to me, I'd like to get everything caught up WRT my current backup strategy, which is based on external harddrives, etc. Once I've gotten my computers synced with the harddrive, I'll give the on-line solutions a whirl  :Thmbsup: