ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you keep two computers synchronized? i.e. work + home. If so, how?

<< < (8/14) > >>

Deozaan:
Applications like these appeal more towards people who want a free online usb stick than a synching or backup system.
-Paul Keith (September 22, 2008, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I organize my USB stick with directories as well.

Paul Keith:
Applications like these appeal more towards people who want a free online usb stick than a synching or backup system.
-Paul Keith (September 22, 2008, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I organize my USB stick with directories as well.
-Deozaan (September 23, 2008, 01:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

As do I. Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant to say was whenever I have a new usb stick, I find half the fun is to recreate all the directories and subdirectories and see if I get a better structure than before rather than uploading the old folders.

Darwin:
+2 on organizing my USB sticks as well...  :Thmbsup:

cmpm:
http://www.xdrive.com/

5 gb of free storage with sync capabilities
desktop app is adobe air now
much better then the first program they had
or there is a web interface that works very good-cmpm (September 18, 2008, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just signed up for Xdrive, and I don't understand my confirmation e-mail:

Congratulations! We received your registration for [[email protected]]. AOL(R) is proud to have you as a member of our online community.

Confirm your email address now! If you requested to reserve this email address as part of the AOL(R) Screen Name Service, please select the "Yes, I made this request" link below. Otherwise, if this was not requested by you, please select the "No, I did not make this request" link below to reject this request.

Yes, I made this request and I want to reserve this email address as part of the AOL Screen Name Service

No, I did not make this request and I do not want my e-mail address registered with the AOL Screen Name Service

To learn more about AOL Screen Name Service, please visit the Screen Name Service Web site at http://my.screenname.aol.com.

Thank you,

Screen Name Service Team
--- End quote ---

So... Yeah. I DO want to confirm my e-mail address for Xdrive, but I don't want need an AOL Screen Name. Suggestions?
-Deozaan (September 22, 2008, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Deozaan, you now have an aol email account. As I do.
I don't use it, it just sits there with one message in it, the welcome message.

When signing into XDrive just use the screen name that you choose, as it says, and no need for the '@aol.com'.

Carol Haynes:
Why is it so freaking difficult/risky to sync two pst files?
-Darwin (September 17, 2008, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Primarily because a pst file is a database rather than a simple collection of individual message files. Your Outlook e-mail application enforces its own internal integrity and structure checks on the database. Hard to tell exactly how Outlook tracks things, but I would assume it hashes the pst file periodically and stores the result internally. It then checks the latest hashkey when it opens the pst file. If there's a mismatch, it knows some other app has changed the pst file. Outlook tends to view any changes made to pst by outside programs as file corruption.  So to do it correctly, Microsoft would need to provide some sort of "smart merge" feature for pst files. And  I doubt MS will be in any rush to provide that feature since it would remove some of the rationale for needing to buy MS Exchange. ;D
-40hz (September 17, 2008, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Strikes me it would be simplicity for MS to ensure data inegrity. Do an MD5 check on the PST file (or similar) and store its hash value as the last few bytes of the file. When Outlook opens the file it can read the has value and recalculate the has with the rest of the file and compare them. That way PST files would be portable instead of a PITA !

One way you can keep Outlook up to date across different systems is to import the PST file across the network without allowing duplicates to be copied. Not convenient (reasonably fast if you have a Gigabit network) but could be automated I suppose. The advantages of this to open and copy to folder are firstly the import without duplicates is automated and secondly you are not 'opening' the PST files on the other system so Outlook on eacy system is unaware that the file has been used by another version of Outlook. Also if the PST files are in Outlook 2000-2003 format it should work across and between all Outlook 2000-2007 versions.

My preferred method is to keep the PST file as small as possible and hive off all my email into MailStore Home (allowing MailStore to delete all emails in Outlook older than a certain number of days so that the PST file doesn't grow too big). You can then sync those MailStore database files without any problem across systems. If you get Mailstore Home Plus you can even automate the archiving of all your email to MailStore and the auto-deletion of email from Outlook. Since Mailstore only deals with email, I also use Outlook's Archive to move dead tasks, calendar entries, Notes etc. into an Archive PST file, that would need to be imported on each system o keep things up to date but since it only contains older tasks etc. it doesn't need to be synced that often.

Another approach with outlook would be to use a search app (such as X1 Pro) that can sync PST file content across a network so that the data is searchable without actually being moved. You could then index all of your PST files on each computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version