topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for December 6th - Codename "Operation GOE Freeware Release"  (Read 35243 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for December 6th, 2007
Codename "Operation GOE Freeware Release"

"If you read nothing else on our site, read our BLOG"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Greetings! Darwin here wondering what happened to 2007... I've only *just* gotten used to writing "2007" and it's almost over. At any rate, the onset of December means one of two things - either it's just about winter or it's just about summer! So depending on where you are it's time to stock up on sun creme or on thermal underwear... It's all relative, isn't it?

No matter where you are, December is a busy month. Here at Donationcoder it is no different as we gear up for the holidays and prepare for January's big Donationcoder fundraiser. I can't give too much away, but there are exciting events and discounts being planned, so watch for announcements about them in the next newsletter.

The big news today is that we've just posted 9 new small freeware releases as part of our Getting Organized Experiment (GOE) Coding Challenge.  Read more about it in section 2 of the newsletter.

Speaking of the newsletter, we've broken it down into more sections this time, with fewer links in each -- hopefully this will make it a little easier to find stuff that might interest you.  Is this an improvement? Please let us know.  Actually if you have any suggestions about how we can improve the newsletter, let us know!

Here's a bit of DC trivia for you:  Did you know that about 160 new people sign up at our forum every day? And that there are about 90 new posts on the forum every day?  If you're having trouble keeping up with all of the activity, who can blame you? No seriously, that's a real question -- make a list of who can blame you and try to get them fired before they rat you out for wasting time at work.  Or you might want to bookmark our blog, which highlights a few of the best new topics on the forum every day:

2. The Getting Organized Experiment (GOE) 2007 - Massive Freeware Release!

As you probably know, each year we have a little experimental event where people on the forum exchange ideas, systems, and techniques for improving their productivity and time management.  This time we decided to ask the coders on our site to contribute by writing brand new little freeware utilities.  Well the results have just been posted! 9 brand new little freeware tools to put some extra minutes in your day.  There are some real fun ones here so make sure you stop by and check them out.

And don't forget to join other DC members as they try to find ways to make them more productive. Surf over to the Getting Organized Experiment 2007 board to participate!

3. Your Input Requested

A big welcome to everyone who has joined us in the past month. If you haven't had an opportunity to participate in the forum, we'd love to have your input in the following threads especially:

4. Discounts and Giveaways

Congratulations to the ten winners of last month's software draw, each of whom will receive a license for DefenseWall HIPS.
And this month we are giving away 5 copies of Surfulater, a very nice web site surfing helper.

And don't forget! In January we will be having our big annual fundraiser, with TONS TONS TONS of discounts and giveaways for supporting members lined up by DC member cthorpe.

5. Living Room

Join us in the Living Room, where you can let your hair down and post about/discuss topics that don't quite fit in the other categories at Donationcoder.

6. Ralf's Top 10

DC member Ralf Maximus has proven to be a wunderkind when it comes to ferreting out strange links from around the web and writing funny top 10 lists.  This newsletter sports an entire section devoted to his top 10 lists -- pass them along to your friends.

7. Fun, Games and Humour

The Living Room gets crowded, so crowded that it's always necessary to create sub-categories such as this one for the newsletter. Many discussions in the Living Room revolve around games and humour so we're featuring some of the highlights here.including a flash game that requires you to act quickly to save the life of Fred, a stuffed rabbit, who is in cardiac arrest.

8. General Software Discussion

You'll find lots of opinions, requests for assistance, suggestions, and general commentary on software at Donationcoder and much of it can be found on the General Software Discussion board. This and the two sections that follow are just some of the highlights from the General Software Discussion board from the past two weeks.

9. Specific Software Discussions

If you're interested in a particular application, you'll probably find one or more threads devoted to it in the General Software Discussion. Here are some highlights from the past couple of weeks, with a bit of an emphasis on the ongoing MS Vista controversy.

10. Software Suggestions Requested

Need to find a utility to extend the functionality of your windows installation? Can't narrow down your search? Post about it in the General Software board and you'll probably be overwhelmed both by the variety of suggestions and by your respondents' knowledge of the solutions that they suggest. Read below for some recent discussions (and debates!).

11. Found Deals and Discounts

Donationcoders love a bargain and are generous in reporting their finds. Here are some recent discounts and deals that have been found and posted about on the forum.

12. Mini-Reviews by Members

Donationcoder member dhuser has written a mini-review of authorPOINT Lite, an application that allows you to convert Powerpoint presentations into Flash movies. Mini-reviews are a lot of fun to write up and are very helpful to other users. If you've got a favourite application that you'd like to post about, consider doing a mini-review, they are always welcome.

13. Coding Snack Headquarters

Looking for the perfect app to help you be that much more efficient? Can't find it? Why not post your idea on the Coding Snacks Requests board and see if anyone at Donationcoder will to code it for you? That's what coding snacks are all about...

14. Developer's Corner

There's always a lot of activity on the Developer's Corner board.  Not a developer? Don't be scared away! You can learn to code yourself in the coding school, and if that doesn't tickle your fancy, your time spent in the developer's corner will not go to waste.  This is also where we talk about entrepreneurial and freelancing stuff.

15. Member's site spotlight - App's Apps

This week we're highlighting long time Donationcoder member (and forum moderator) app103's site. App's been coding for five or six years now and has produced some very nice freeware - everything from a utility to remind you to get up and stretch your legs when you're working on a project to a couple of desktop clocks (she's clearly got a clock obsession). You'll also find links to her other sites, which include a blog and a site called SnailWare site which focuses on software for older pcs.

16. Site of the Month - KarenWare.com

Karen Kenworthy has been writing freeware for almost a decade, and her site KarenWare.com is well known to people who appreciate small tools that do exactly what they say they will.  She's got dozens of freeware programs available and you are sure to find something useful there.  She also puts out a regular free newsletter (Karen's Power Tools Newsletter).  Keep up the great work Karen! We are fans.

The End

That's it for this newsletter. Thank you for reading and see you again in two weeks!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 05:59 AM by mouser »

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Awesome newsletter, Darwin!  And thanks for the Top Ten shoutout and kind words.

:-)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Ralf!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
I just added an item about the NANY 2008 challenge.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just keeps getting better, Darwin!  :Thmbsup:

manimatters

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
awesome! thanks.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
well done Darwin :up:
you're making me feel idle though :-\

like the new layout/breakdown a lot btw
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Oops - the email version doesn't have links for the forum postings :)
- carpe noctem

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you're having trouble keeping up with all of the activity, who can blame you? No seriously, that's a real question -- make a list of who can blame you and try to get them fired before they rat you out for wasting time at work.
:D :up:

Great newsletter, Darwin. Btw, I like the "more sections this time, with fewer links in each"!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The new splitup into more sections is quite usefull!

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oops - the email version doesn't have links for the forum postings :)

yeah, I'd like it to be still text-only, but with links :)
Well, too late now anyway...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the feedback, everyone - keep it coming!

I'd like to take credit for the "more sections this time with fewer links in each", but really, mouser's been repeating this like a mantra to me since August  :o

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member

I'd like to take credit for the "more sections this time with fewer links in each", but really, mouser's been repeating this like a mantra to me since August  :o
I don't think he meant to get rid of links completely, though ;)

(No, it's not nagging, just a friendly nudge, please don't take it too hard :) )
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I don't think he meant to get rid of links completely, though ;)

(No, it's not nagging, just a friendly nudge, please don't take it too hard :) )

:'(

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seriously, though... just to clarify, I meant that mouser has been after me to reduce the number of links per section and to increase the number of sections (if necessary) to make this possible. This isn't related to the presence or absence of clickable links in the e-mail version. Actually, my dim memory tells me that usually there are NO such links in the e-mail version and that the presence of some in this one is a departure. No?

Anyway, my two bits on the fewer links/more sections thingie is that I like it - it tightens the whole newsletter without sacrificing content.

LaoziSailor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Darwin , I'm actually tempted to try the GOE's out (the answer lies in them -- I just don't have the time  ;) )

OTOH, ...Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Cheers!  :beerchug: :drinksmiley:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Personally, I preferred the old version in which you commented an interesting thread of your choice briefly. It made the newsletter more enjoyable for me, since I check the site daily (almost) and I don't find much use in going through lists of links I already visited. Just my two cents.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FWIW, I've noticed a huge influx of new posters over the past couple of days, as well as some returning visitors I don't recall seeing before.

Or is this a standard phenomenon after every newsletter goes out?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's the Darwin-edited newsletter effect :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Personally, I preferred the old version in which you commented an interesting thread of your choice briefly. It made the newsletter more enjoyable for me, since I check the site daily (almost) and I don't find much use in going through lists of links I already visited. Just my two cents.

Thanks for that alternate p.o.v., Lashiec - I'll keep it in mind! Perhaps my "minimialist" approach of late has gone too far, eh?  ;D

ssoundman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for your fine efforts once again, Darwin.

I like the new format, BTW.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the feedback, ssoundman!