topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which File Manager do you rely on in Windows?

Windows Explorer
Directory Opus
Total Commander
XYPlorer
xplorer2
Altap/Servant Salamander
Frigate
Speed Commander
AB Commander
Haven't decided yet.
Other
Variety is the spice of life - I use mutliple File Managers!!
Power Desk

Last post Author Topic: What's your preferred File Manager  (Read 456562 times)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your preferred File Manager
« Reply #500 on: December 06, 2013, 06:40 AM »
It's a German version that will not be freely upgradable

Not sure about the language (XY's language files are usually exchangeable...?), but interesting that my work is "freeware" now. Bah.  :huh: ;D

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #501 on: December 07, 2013, 09:35 PM »
^glad you like Qdir - possibly it's not listed here because it uses Windows Explorer.

I used Directory Opus for few months, didn't like the way other properties of a single shortcut or file got slowed down (while closing).
-
dont know what that's about - it's not a method I use to open properties (Alt+double-click) but I tried it and it works absolutely fine here (Win7 X64). Does that even have to do with Dopus? (I mean: did the problem go away after Dopus uninstall?)
Yes the problem vanished after uninstalling Dopus, a 64 bit machine would perform quicker and faster in those Dept. For a 32 bit i'll stick with plain and simple Q-Dir, yeah it doesn't have those bells and whistles, but i prefer functionality, than those high end complicated and also functional Dopus. I'll will stick with Dopus if i had a 64 bit pc.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #502 on: December 07, 2013, 11:29 PM »
^ That might be something to do with your configuration.  32 bit and 64 bit on several machines, and I experience no degradation.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #503 on: December 08, 2013, 12:34 AM »
Just tried the Alt+double-click thing and I can confirm the delay hulkbuster gets - this happens across all my drives: HDD, SSD, Flash, and RAM - on a new Windows 8.1 Pro x64 install with very little in the way of programs.

An example:
Open a lister for K: (my RAM drive).
Alt+DC on a file and the Properties dialog opens immediately.
Close it and Alt+DC on another file/folder and there's almost a 10 second delay before the dialog opens.

Another example of Alt+DC seemingly impacting performance:
Open a lister for K:
Double-click on TEMP to enter the folder
Close it and return to the parent folder (K:) and then DC on TEMP again, there's a upwards of 5 seconds delay before it changes folder.  (There's no delay switching folders if Alt+DC isn't used.)

verszipo

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #504 on: December 08, 2013, 07:35 AM »
I for one use FAR Manager 3, i'm probably too used to the console "feel" (i've used Volcov Commander and Norton Commander back in the days).
I'm not very fond of "graphical interfaces" for file managers, that's the reason why i don't like Total Commander.

Since version 3 FAR Manager it is freeware (actually opensource so you can even modify it if you want to), it has a new LUA scripting support and quite a few good plugins/scripts.
I use it in combination with ConEmu which gives me the ability to run multiple sessions of FAR in the same window (with tabs to switch from one to the others). It also gives the posibility to show files in Thumbnails mode (similar to Total Commander). I for one don't use it too often, but it's nice to have the support :)

I also use a lot of portable apps with it for image viewing/editing, development and other stuff, most taken from PortableApps.com

P.S. there is a 64bit version of FAR3 but i still use the 32bit version on Win8 x64 since i use at least 10 compoatibility plugins from FAR1 and FAR2 and they can't be loaded on the 64bit version.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #505 on: December 08, 2013, 04:34 PM »
I for one use FAR Manager 3, i'm probably too used to the console "feel" (i've used Volcov Commander and Norton Commander back in the days).
I'm not very fond of "graphical interfaces" for file managers, that's the reason why i don't like Total Commander.
Total Commander is as close as you'll get to a console feel in a GUI program  :)  If you like console mode, there's also the excellent XTree-like ZTreeWin

Since version 3 FAR Manager it is freeware (actually opensource so you can even modify it if you want to), it has a new LUA scripting support and quite a few good plugins/scripts.
[...]
I also use a lot of portable apps with it for image viewing/editing, development and other stuff
I didn't know it had gone freeware.  But, isn't it a slightly strange hybrid?  I was under the impression that though console mode, it kept its configuration details in the Registry.  That also means it isn't portable.

The author of the multiarc plugin for Total Commander wrote this in his readme:
Some ideas was "stolen" 8-) from FAR file manager by Eugene Roshal. Thank you, Eugene - you write a GREAT program but I prefer GUI applications in
GUI environment. 8-)

verszipo

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #506 on: December 08, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Total Commander is as close as you'll get to a console feel in a GUI program  :)  
I didn't know it had gone freeware.  But, isn't it a slightly strange hybrid?  I was under the impression that though console mode, it kept its configuration details in the Registry.  That also means it isn't portable.

Well, from my point of view FAR is more like a console application than Total Commander, but it's just my opinion :p
What i don't like in TC are the toolbars and also the fact that it's not freeware :p

Since FAR 3 all settings are stored in MySQL files either in the "Documents & Settings\<username>\FAR3" folder or in a subfolder in FAR3's folder (depends on how configure it in the FAR.exe.ini file), so you can make it completely portable.
The only settings saved in registry are if you use old plugins (made for FAR1 or FAR2) and if you use ConEmu. Conemu had a beta that was portable but for some reason the release versions don't have the portable support.

EDIT :
also, a great feature of FAR is that i was able to connect using an SSH server (installed on my Win computer). SSH only supports text but since FAR uses a text interface i could still have the exact same interface that i'm used too.
On Linux i also use Midnight Commander so i like having 2 programs (FAR and MC) on 2 OSs and still have a very similar interface, this decreases the number of things i have to remember (and lately i seem to have trouble remembering things that i don't use often :p )
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:28 PM by verszipo »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #507 on: December 09, 2013, 11:08 AM »

Just tried this on my Directory Opus x64 configuration and when I alt+DC on any file it just opens. No properties dialog at all. Checking the pull-down menu and I see Properties does not have any shortcut (keyboard or mouse) assigned to it.

My first question is are you two using a DOpus configuration that you imported from a previous version or did you start fresh with a new configuration when you upgraded to v10?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #508 on: December 09, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Just tried this on my Directory Opus x64 configuration and when I alt+DC on any file it just opens. No properties dialog at all. Checking the pull-down menu and I see Properties does not have any shortcut (keyboard or mouse) assigned to it.

You set it under Settings->Filetypes->All files and folders (Directory Opus File Types)

Events-> Left double-click + Alt: properties nofromfocus

2013-12-10 13_22_51-File Types - Directory Opus.png

My first question is are you two using a DOpus configuration that you imported from a previous version or did you start fresh with a new configuration when you upgraded to v10?

Yes, but I didn't have Alt+DC set to anything, (I never used it for anything) - I had to set it myself and clear it from All folders (under Directory Opus File Types) and Archives (under File Type Groups).

If you don't clear it, then default is to Open the item.

Also, a bit more info with what I'm finding - the Properties dialog close and then Alt+DC action on the next file has to occur within 10 seconds.

ie.
Alt+DC on file, close Properties, Alt+DC on another file <- all within 10 seconds

If you wait 10 seconds between Alt+DC on items then the delay didn't occur.  It also happens if I use Control+DC instead but then you get items being left selected.

I'll clear out my DOpus install and see if I can narrow it down a bit more.

EDIT: OK, RevoUninstaller'd DOpus to clear it out, restart, and then installed DOpus 10.5.4.0 x64 with everything default (Ugh!).  Changed the Filetypes to match above and ... it still does it, (on a near new installation of Win8.1 Pro x64).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:48 AM by 4wd »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #509 on: December 10, 2013, 05:35 AM »
OK. the problem with Alt+DC went off, my settings in Filetype/All file and folder/edit
Alt+DC has not been defined, that did it.
But still feels heavy.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #510 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16 AM »

There is nothing better than Directory Opus.

It isn't cheap, but it's worth every cent. It makes no sense to go into all the program details: they can be found on the GPSoft website.
A 60-day evaluation version is available, you donot want to have anything else after that.
For x64 machines, you always need to use the x64 version. I think the 32bit can't be installed.

If you are stuck with something, their forum gets you an answer to almost everything (Directory Opus wise that is).
You'll get unbelievably fast reply on questions. At least, that is my experience.

=

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #511 on: December 10, 2013, 10:28 AM »
I fail to see how the Alt+DC thing is too much of a problem as it is user-created. It's not like it is a stock configuration item out of the box. Regardless, the author is very receptive towards bug reports. Has anyone reported this bug to Jonathan? If so, what was his response?

Dcwulf62, you're right. DOpus isn't cheap, but I bought it when it was on sale for Christmas one year from their German reseller who also included the USB and FTP Advanced options for free. The only other file manager that rivals it is Total Commander, but its rabid user base will not allow its author to modernize it for the times so I regretfully had to move on.

You can install the 32-bit version on an x64 system, but then you have all the directory navigation problems that come with using a 32-bit program on a 64-bit version of Windows.

And yes, the DOPus resource forum is amazing. Chances are whatever you want to ask already has been asked and can be found with a quick search. On the rare times it isn't already answered, Leo is quick with a reply.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #512 on: December 10, 2013, 05:51 PM »
I fail to see how the Alt+DC thing is too much of a problem as it is user-created. It's not like it is a stock configuration item out of the box.

But Control+DC is default for Properties out of the box and it exhibits the same bug.

Regardless, the author is very receptive towards bug reports. Has anyone reported this bug to Jonathan? If so, what was his response?

I posted on the DOpus Resource forum in Help & Support, which is their referred method.  Leo has confirmed the problem, so they're looking into it.

While I tend to agree, it's a matter of opinion/circumstance - if I have to install a filemanager on a relatives machine that doesn't entail spending money, then FreeCommander XE or A43 is the best  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:43 PM by 4wd »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #513 on: December 10, 2013, 05:54 PM »

This was true until the "Vista-styled" versions were released which look bloated and a bit boring, no matter what you configure.

(Does dired count as a file manager? It is a serious competition to FAR Manager [which I also like as I stated a couple of years/pages ago].)

One tool, one purpose. Now what is the "one purpose" for file managers? Managing files? If so, it's actually sad that Proto development seems to have been halted.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:00 PM by Tuxman »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #514 on: December 11, 2013, 10:35 AM »
But Control+DC is default for Properties out of the box and it exhibits the same bug.

So it does...I just rarely have to look at properties of files in DOpus. When I start looking at the 'nitty gritty' stuff like that I'm prone to pop open a CLI window.

I posted on the DOpus Resource forum in Help & Support, which is their referred method.  Leo has confirmed the problem, so they're looking into it.

I'm sure it will get fixed then. Jonathan is a very competent programmer.

While I tend to agree, it's a matter of opinion/circumstance - if I have to install a filemanager on a relatives machine that doesn't entail spending money, then FreeCommander XE or A43 is the best  ;)

Yes, once you put the requirement of free on the table then the recommendations will change. FreeCommander XE is probably one of the most powerful free file managers available.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #515 on: December 26, 2013, 02:12 PM »
Speaking of FreeCommander, it looks like XE stable has been released a few days ago:
www.freecommander.com/fc_downl_en.htm

I downloaded the portable version. All I've done so far is hit F2 to see if the Renamer was implemented.  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #516 on: January 04, 2014, 03:53 AM »
The Sanwhole Vole Explorer is being offered with a lifetime license for free at Bits du Jour's.
http://www.bitsdujou...n-profession-edition

It is being updated so frequently that you would think he is bound to someday make it a well working program:

2014-01-04_102551.gif
2014-01-04_102649.gif

click to enlarge:

2014-01-04_103406.gifWhat's your preferred File Manager

2) Vole Explorer does not support Unicode, only old Latin.
3) It could not preview any of my pdf files, not even one.
-me at BdJ's forum

-but as I said, it's being updated so frequently; someday...

EXTRA:

You must install/register the software while the promotion is active, and cannot do so afterwards. Upgrades to future versions of the software will be free for the lifetime of the product.
-email
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:59 AM by Curt »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #517 on: January 04, 2014, 04:05 AM »
The Sanwhole Vole Explorer is being offered with a lifetime license...

I find the description of the lifetime license to be difficult to understand. Someone on the BDJ forum asked about this, and the vendor pointed to a few FAQ answers that frankly were just as confusing. It seems like a paid license will revert to a free version with some features disabled after 12 months unless a renewal/subscription fee is paid.  This is in spite of several claims that all licenses are lifetime.  I think the vendor considers a license that reverts to free behavior is still a 'lifetime' license.  But I'm not sure if I have any of this right.

I assume that the same behavior will occur with the free license being offered on BDJ.

Even more confusing to me is the description of the software's functionality.  I haven't tried the software, so maybe it's not as confusing to use as the marketing material is to understand. I think that there may be a language barrier issue contributing to the problem.

Given my overall confusion and the fact that I'm pretty happy with the file managers that I have, I'm skipping this offer.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #518 on: January 04, 2014, 12:08 PM »
I think, regarding Sanwhole Vole Explorer, that item 1.3 in Curt's screenshots is very telling:

"May I extend my service duration with another giveaway renew code?"

I don't think the term "lifetime license" means the same thing to the author that it does to the rest of us.

And finally, online activation for a file manager? Yuck.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #519 on: January 04, 2014, 12:14 PM »
It just doesn't look appealing to me.  And mwb, some people are expressing the same frustration on BDJ in the comments.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #520 on: January 28, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Hello, i didn't want to start a thread, i just want some info on Total Commander.
I am giving it a shot. It all feels good and ok.
I am not getting a hands on its Multi-renaming tool (Usually opens after Ctrl + M).
Before i used to use Bulk-Renamer, which does a very good job.
Thought of using TC, default Renaming tool.

I followed some tips from here Rename with Total Commander., but i am not getting a hang of this tip.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #521 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32 PM »
i just want some info on Total Commander [...] I am not getting a hands on its Multi-renaming tool (Usually opens after Ctrl + M).I followed some tips from here Rename with Total Commander., but i am not getting a hang of this tip.
I'm not an expert on this, but it looks about right to me; mark some files, invoke the Multi-Rename tool, then edit the changes in much the same way as you'd do with BRU or 1-4a Rename.  The author of the article has made it look more complicated than it need be by changing several things at once, and by using regular expressions as well, but really it's much like the free-standing tools.  Why not try it on a few test files, or surf over to the Total Commander Forum?  Is there anything in particular that's baffling you?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #522 on: January 29, 2014, 02:39 AM »
The Sanwhole Vole Explorer is (...) being updated so frequently that you would think he is bound to someday make it a well working program

But how far has he already gone; what version are we at?:

Release records:
1, 18-Apr-2013 3.4.30418: First release.

-eh... was version 3.4.30418 the first release? His own words!  :o
Now it doesn't sound equally impressive that the current version number is 3.11.40108
-------

needed:

Framework 3.5 or higher

Windows Media Player Codec if you want to watch more kinds of video.
Microsoft Office 2000 or higher if you want to preview Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint docs.
Adobe Flash Player if you want to play YouTube video in VMC Discovery.
Adobe Reader if you want to preview PDF file.

It is not enough for Adobe Reader to merely be installed, it also must have pdf associated, AND have that annoying Adobe update thing placed in Start.

I will not test Vole any further.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:48 AM by Curt, Reason: pdf associated »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #523 on: January 29, 2014, 03:14 AM »
Just Manager (when it gets out of alpha):
http://justmanager.ru/

Q-Dir for now.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #524 on: February 01, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Hello, i didn't want to start a thread, i just want some info on Total Commander.
I am giving it a shot. It all feels good and ok.
I am not getting a hands on its Multi-renaming tool (Usually opens after Ctrl + M).

Although Total Commander looks like a very simple program that's easy to use when you first run it, appearances are deceiving. It's one of the most powerful programs you will ever use, but it can also be one of the most complicated you'll ever use as well. Those who master its secrets will never fear a file management task ever again, but the journey can be a difficult one.

Total Commander's Multi-Renamer has a lot of options that a lot of people would never need. A good way to becoming familiar with its abilities might be to just dump copies of some files into a test directory and start playing with the different options to see how the renaming plays out. Once you get a feel for what each button does you'll feel more comfortable tackling the more advanced tasks.