topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which File Manager do you rely on in Windows?

Windows Explorer
Directory Opus
Total Commander
XYPlorer
xplorer2
Altap/Servant Salamander
Frigate
Speed Commander
AB Commander
Haven't decided yet.
Other
Variety is the spice of life - I use mutliple File Managers!!
Power Desk

Last post Author Topic: What's your preferred File Manager  (Read 456508 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your preferred File Manager
« Reply #475 on: October 22, 2012, 08:59 AM »
By now you're pretty okay. It was a tip for the future.

So in the poll maybe it should have included "roll your own file manager". I'm all for you making your own solution when the existing ones don't work for you.

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #476 on: October 22, 2012, 10:46 AM »
Ivan's apparently offering a 50% discount on Desk & Archive through the end of October.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #477 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Fine. He should do this here. I won't use Facebook for anything.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #478 on: October 22, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Ivan's apparently offering a 50% discount on Desk & Archive through the end of October.
Fine. He should do this here.

Early adopters discout available: just enter cno2m as coupon code, and get 50% discount in next two weeks
-Desk & Archive

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #479 on: October 22, 2012, 12:14 PM »
i cant see where to add the cno2m coupon.

any guidance?

ivanii

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #480 on: October 22, 2012, 01:16 PM »
i cant see where to add the cno2m coupon.

any guidance?
The first plan was for the first week, but I have extended it to the end of month.

But it seems that at Plimus control panel I did it wrong, so now it is fixed and available.

Anyway, I didn't want to spread commercial information (including discounts, but there are also some others like affiliates), I wasn't aware if it was OK to say here. And info is also available on Twitter and Gplus, though I guess it doesn't make it any better for you :).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:17 PM by ivanii, Reason: rephrase for clearance »

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #481 on: October 22, 2012, 01:57 PM »
I see... Plimus blocked my order but count me in.

bored of plimus payment system already   :down:

ivanii

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #482 on: October 22, 2012, 02:07 PM »

I don't understand what was your problem exactly? At least in my account setup they had relatively good developer support, so I can try to ask them for fix or advice...

I must say that I have chosen Plimus because they had Licensing solution, so it saved me probably month or more of developing, I might decide to do something else in next versions.

This is now a bit off-topic, but I will release that part of code on CodeProject (unfortunately even that ready made solution took like week or more to make it really work)... if it is of use for anyone here :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #483 on: October 22, 2012, 02:56 PM »
This is now a bit off-topic, but I will release that part of code on CodeProject (unfortunately even that ready made solution took like week or more to make it really work)... if it is of use for anyone here :)

I'd recommend again -as per my post above- make a post in the "Announce your Software" section (the post was # 473 in this thread).
Give the details there and link from here to it. (FWIW I had a look @ the purchase page, it was displaying Paypal logos, but didnt offer me paypal - it did offer me lots of other options though. [I went to second page - my location is Germany])
Tom

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #484 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21 PM »

I don't understand what was your problem exactly? At least in my account setup they had relatively good developer support, so I can try to ask them for fix or advice...

I must say that I have chosen Plimus because they had Licensing solution, so it saved me probably month or more of developing, I might decide to do something else in next versions.

worked already.

they blocked the payment and unlocked already.  :Thmbsup:

ivanii

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #485 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14 PM »
I'd recommend again -as per my post above- make a post in the "Announce your Software" section (the post was # 473 in this thread).
Give the details there and link from here to it. (FWIW I had a look @ the purchase page, it was displaying Paypal logos, but didnt offer me paypal - it did offer me lots of other options though. [I went to second page - my location is Germany])
You were right, this talking here went too far, however here is the link where it can continue:
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=32629

And as last answer here, Plimus generally processes PayPal, but you must be PayPal member, and at this point I am not as my country (Serbia) is not available for selling over PayPal yet.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #486 on: January 13, 2013, 11:13 AM »
Those of you who know me, will understand that the addition of a new scripting feature in XYplorer has moved this file manager up the list somewhat. From the beta change log:

+ Scripting got a new command.
      Name:   makecoffee
      Action: Makes a good cup of coffee.
      Syntax: makecoffee
      Example:
        ::makecoffee;
      Remarks:
        Call again for another cup.
:-*

You might like to know that the recent BETA of XYplorer features a new scripting command that opens specific pages in XYplorer's CHM help. The command is called rtfm :D

Here's the link to the change log with some examples: http://www.xyplorer....c.php?p=80895#p80895

Don

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #487 on: January 13, 2013, 05:46 PM »
The command is called rtfm :D
This made me laugh today when I was reeding it in changelog :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #488 on: November 27, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Forgive me my ignorance, but I have no idea if this is a fine or terrible file manager. However, it should of course be listed here, as the program is on giveawayoftheday today, Wednesday 27 November 2013: "Vole Windows Ekspedition Pro". Normal price: $60

http://www.giveawayo...e-windows-pro-3-9-3/
http://www.sanwhole....dows-expedition.html

1914965.gif

Vole Windows Expedition is a Page-Reproduce, massive space and dockable file manager. An easily customized and more graceful way to manage your documents. Totally compatible with Microsoft file Explorer.

We call document preview page collection and directory list collection as Vole Explorer, Vole Explorer collection as Explorer Project, Explorer Project collection as Vole Windows Expedition. We call all pages and page docking positions reproduce as Scene Reproduce. We call find, download and preview VMC media library in any web page as VMC Discovery. Search for Vole Media CHM for more detail.

Vole Windows Expedition is a universal file manager, totally compatible with Microsoft file Explorer. And we also provides you with the following features:

Build in previewer: preview video, audio, images, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, text documents, etc.

-etc. Read more http://www.sanwhole....dows-expedition.html

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:15 PM by Curt »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #489 on: November 27, 2013, 12:09 PM »

Uhm. Well...

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #490 on: November 27, 2013, 12:41 PM »
I played with Vole when it was a giveaway several weeks back. I just didn't get it - it was hard to get into due to the lack of menu labels, as you can see above. It might be really powerful if you know it all, but getting to that level's going to be painful. But overall, it gave me the impression of being more an organizational tool than of a tool for ad hoc file management.

FWIW, I've been really happy with the improvements made to XYplorer over the past few months. I now conclude that although it doesn't seem to have the elegance of DOpus, XYplorer's functionality and usability is unsurpassed.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #491 on: November 27, 2013, 01:03 PM »
When launched first time, the program immediately found an update and offered to download & install it:

2013-11-27_192911.gif

------------

I was puzzled because GAOTD -programs normally comes without the right to update. Of course I clicked Yes.
The updating went fine and the program is now a "Professional" version (in opposition to a "Free" version) - but the necessary register procedure is weird, to say the least; you must click the blue I > Renew (yes, "renew"!).

When I tried to pre-view a pdf file, an error message said svx1007 had stopped working. The error was fatal, and I have removed the program. I didn't like it anyway, the navigation layout is outdated, and there were no "favourite-folders" that I could find.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #492 on: November 27, 2013, 04:01 PM »
..., the navigation layout is outdated, ...

"outdated" was maybe not the right word, because Windows has always had a shortcut to "User" - and this one doesn't have such a shortcut anywhere (that I could find)! I cannot know if CWuestefeld was right about Vole Windows Ekspedition, ("But overall, it gave me the impression of being more an organizational tool than of a tool for ad hoc file management"), but I certainly found the program to be very slow navigating with.

It should however be noted that the program has lots of tutorials / user's manuals.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #493 on: November 27, 2013, 04:50 PM »
I had an idea and went to their homepage to find a portable version. Yes, they have such! I placed it in ProgramFiles X86 and gave it the same key that I gave to the installed version earlier on today - and it works!
 :)

nyeste627.gif

----------------

Unfortunately it still doesn't read pdf files, "SVX1007 has stopped working", so I am removing it again; it only has interest to me if I can use it for previewing my eBooks. Further more, I really cannot have it being named Profession Edition - yes, I have quoted the spelling precisely!  :o

:down:

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #494 on: December 04, 2013, 12:56 PM »
BTW, today is Cyber Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013, and you still (13 hours left) can get XYplorer's Lifetime License Pro with a 50% discount at BitsDuJour.

Don

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #495 on: December 04, 2013, 04:32 PM »
BTW, today is Cyber Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013, and you still (13 hours left) can get XYplorer's Lifetime License Pro with a 50% discount at BitsDuJour.

FYI there's also a full version giveaway here (apologies for the 'hidden' url - it was extremely long)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #496 on: December 04, 2013, 05:01 PM »
http://www.chip.de/d...plorer_62965241.html will give the same page as the above very long link. It's a German version that will not be freely upgradable:

2013-12-04_235611.gif

It was very confusing that the link also is (mis)labelled "Adventskalender", but the resulting file really is this special XYplorer_13.40_Installer ;-)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #497 on: December 04, 2013, 07:04 PM »
advents calendar seems to be the promotion being run by mostIwant.

The german page probably doesn't help, but the offers still good :Thmbsup:

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #498 on: December 06, 2013, 06:01 AM »
I used Directory Opus for few months, didn't like the way other properties of a single shortcut or file got slowed down (while closing) , Total Commander : never could get the hang of this tool.
Open Dopus, and click the Alt+double click on any shortcut link in the desktop, after the popup close the properties window box. Notice how slowly it closes. [Whats that]
But now i am happily using Q-Dir, which is a surprise, its not mentioned in the Poll.
Download Q-Dir here: Its free.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #499 on: December 06, 2013, 06:31 AM »
^glad you like Qdir - possibly it's not listed here because it uses Windows Explorer.

I used Directory Opus for few months, didn't like the way other properties of a single shortcut or file got slowed down (while closing).
-
dont know what that's about - it's not a method I use to open properties (Alt+double-click) but I tried it and it works absolutely fine here (Win7 X64). Does that even have to do with Dopus? (I mean: did the problem go away after Dopus uninstall?)
Tom