topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GemX - missing in action  (Read 266731 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GemX - missing in action
« Reply #300 on: December 22, 2007, 05:01 PM »
People have been speculating too much. If Gemx meet their new datelines, they'll also get a vote of confidence from me. A new version of Texnotes would be amazing news. I'm also looking forward to their new version of Do.

Yup. This is more or less the tack that I am taking as well. Of course, I have an ethical dilemma... my registered user area still points to downloads for both the full version of Do and a licence key  :o

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #301 on: December 23, 2007, 06:11 AM »
I will cut them slack after they refund me the $80 I spent on my product.

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #302 on: January 10, 2008, 05:44 PM »
Someone asked about Dobberman database that's in DO, they use Accuracer database. Download Accuracer tools and you can access your DO database.

JaneDC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #303 on: January 12, 2008, 10:50 AM »
theres a new version btw. looks like it got out just 2day.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #304 on: January 12, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I have never looked at any GemX software before and know nothing about the company.

I just looked at TextNotes Pro. They are selling it for $24.95 (1/2 off I think) and it looks like an amazingly nice program. Is it worth the cost or should I stay away from GemX?

Thanks, Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #305 on: January 12, 2008, 02:03 PM »
It's a nice product. But after all the problems the customers have had with GemX, it' could be a bit hazardous to invest (in time, mostly) into an application that might have no future.

Did you want to do something in particular? There are so many other note taking applications around.

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #306 on: January 12, 2008, 02:33 PM »
I don't think that GemX applications have no future - they have been around for some time, and I bet they still will.

Get their product if you like how it works now.
If you would be purchasing it due to a future potential (as surprisingly many people do), don't do it. Wait until bugs get fixed and functionality implemented.
Don't buy if you need a community around (apparently the forum will never be reinstalled).

I think they are good people, just that it sometimes goes over their head.

They are promising way too much. Things they can manage when all works, but when things fall apart (due to whatever reason, nobody knows, family problems?, health?, no time due to other obligations?), they can't fulfill the promises anymore.

I bought the product for half the price on a special, and for that price it's OK if you ask me. I never had a single problem with them, and my only support request was answered within few hours through DSM. I didn't like that they shut down the forum with all my posts, and particularly with other users posts, some were helpful tips. But that's life.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #307 on: January 12, 2008, 03:22 PM »
... Did you want to do something in particular? There are so many other note taking applications around.

That's a great question and the answer is yes and no. I thought it looked like a nice app to use with a notebook pc, doing handwriting and such (I could be wrong about everything I believe it does). I create a lot of text files (which I currently manage with UltraEdit) and have been thinking for a while that using a Rich Text app to manage them would have some real benefits.

I did not go looking for a program, however. I just followed a post to it and was really impressed with what I saw. I knew people had experienced 'issues' with TextNote Pro's developer: GemX, but I did not follow those discussions closely as I did not own any GemX apps. I also didn't know the state of those issues or whether they had been resolved.

In addition to UltraEdit, I also own and love both OneNote and EverNote Plus. Perhaps once I understand TextNotes Pro better, I'll realize it doesn't do what I think it does or that it doesn't add meaningful features or benefit to my current software configuration. Any thoughts?

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #308 on: January 12, 2008, 07:16 PM »
I create a lot of text files (which I currently manage with UltraEdit) and have been thinking for a while that using a Rich Text app to manage them would have some real benefits.

[...]

In addition to UltraEdit, I also own and love both OneNote and EverNote Plus. Perhaps once I understand TextNotes Pro better, I'll realize it doesn't do what I think it does or that it doesn't add meaningful features or benefit to my current software configuration. Any thoughts?

My feeling is that it probably won't do much more than OneNote for you, in terms of features (especially regarding text formating and outlining), etc. to justify using it. Unless you want to create little manuals, books, etc. : it has some nice features to achieve that (but then, other applications can do similar things too). You should maybe know that some here (like Nudone) have found TexNotes to be crash prone, which is NOT good for a text "editor"... I can't

If you'd just prefer many to work with single (RTF or not) files instead of files inside a database, there are other options out there.

One option that some people like (here at DC : J-MAC) is AM-Notebook, written by aignes (Martin Aignesberger).

AM-Notebook uses that file format : http://www.trichview.com/, and everything can be exported in RTF format.

According to some, AM-Notebook might have problems with Unicode support though… But that might not be a problem for you since you speak English.,.

For notes, you could also use SQLNotes (code name), which is now available for free for a free 50-55 days trial  in beta ("renewable" at each new  beta installation, if I remember correctly). It’s immensely powerful and does much much more than only note taking… but it could be used just for that if you wanted. The new Daily Build, allows for rapid NoteTaking, GTD fashion — but you first need to register at the SQLNotes website (http://www.sqlnotes.net/)  and download the full version (and install it…) before you can extract the daily build and copy it in your SQLNotes program folder…

SQLNotes might well be overwhelming though... I'd first try AM-Notebook.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:15 PM by Armando »

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2008, 07:42 PM »
For current DO users: if any of you use spreadsheets, that functionality was removed in 3.1, so before upgrading, copy your spreadsheets elsewhere !

Btw. I have just received a reply from GemX through DSM, in about 2 hours after the request. (And it's long after their business hours.)

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #310 on: January 12, 2008, 07:47 PM »
From the little testing of TexNotes that I did, I don't think it can add to what you have (Onenote, Evernote). Well depends on what you are looking for. To me TexNotes was more about text formatting and editing and such (and very powerful), than about data, which is where Onenote and Evernote shall be more powerful. GUI seemed extremely overdone, way too many things, but it was also very configurable so no problem..

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #311 on: January 12, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Btw. I have just received a reply from GemX through DSM, in about 2 hours after the request. (And it's long after their business hours.)

Well, if they can get back on tracks, that's cool for all those who still use and like their products!

From the little testing of TexNotes that I did, I don't think it can add to what you have (Onenote, Evernote). Well depends on what you are looking for. To me TexNotes was more about text formatting and editing and such (and very powerful), than about data, which is where Onenote and Evernote shall be more powerful. GUI seemed extremely overdone, way too many things, but it was also very configurable so no problem..

I agree with all that.

I'll add to what I say previously that, nevertheless, TexNotes is a very nice and likable application and it has some very good export features... So it's still an option, ken, if you're willing to take the GemX route...

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #312 on: January 12, 2008, 07:59 PM »
For notes, you could also use SQLNotes (code name), which is now available for free in beta.
My copy says "this beta version expires in 50 days" so it might be just a trial version and not "free beta".

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #313 on: January 12, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Actually, you're right. Bad wording on my part, sorry!!!
Although since new versions of the beta appear almost every month, it's like an endless trial... until the final version (will be released, at some point). Pierre Paul Landry (pplandry DC member : very nice and open developer) suggested a $49.99 introductory price. But "contributing" beta testers should get a free license (you could check that with him though).

So... you downloaded it.... You should also go check the thread about SQLNotes.

SQLNotes is really impressive once you start to understand how it works and everything you can do with it. I can't wait for the essential features I need to be implemented : calendar (soon) + Outlook import and palm syncing (if it happens)... I'll just ditch Outlook and many other software, most probably.

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #314 on: January 12, 2008, 08:39 PM »
No need to apologize. I understood, it's actually Pierre's words that it's free, but he means that it's free to use now, while we shareware veteran users still call it trial :)

Actually I downloaded about two times months ago, and it never worked on my system. This is the first build that works for me, and it already looks way more complete than the older ones. It's very powerful but also steep learning curve. I'm a happy UltraRecall user, no need to change, but SQLNotes might be hard to resist (the inner child needs to play).

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #315 on: January 12, 2008, 08:44 PM »
No need to apologize. I understood, it's actually Pierre's words that it's free, but he means that it's free to use now, while we shareware veteran users still call it trial :)

Actually I downloaded about two times months ago, and it never worked on my system. This is the first build that works for me, and it already looks way more complete than the older ones. It's very powerful but also steep learning curve. I'm a happy UltraRecall user, no need to change, but SQLNotes might be hard to resist (the inner child needs to play).
Yes, I tend to write: free while in beta... which does translate to a trial with an undetermined end date  ;)

Glad to see that it runs on your system. I'm not very well versed in URp [edit] I purchased it but did not find the time to really try it out. I do follow the forums though to learn the "terminology" [/edit], but other URp users have mentioned that once the SQLNotes underlying concept is understood (basically the same as Ecco Pro + some additions of my own), it is easier to grasp than URp, simpler. But again, this is not my own experience, but only what others have said.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:45 AM by PPLandry »

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Armando and tamasd,

Thanks very much for the input. I've used Martin's software before and loved it. I had not tried notebook though. I don't want anything fancy. I don't want to write notes in database or I would use OneNote (which I adore). I just want to edit text files with some formatting. So Notebook might be perfect for me.

I just got interested in TextNote Pro because it looked like it would work with my notebook pc's pen, which so few programs will. So I got all excited about it. The need/desire though is much simpler and I won't likely edit with my pen. If I get interested in doing that, I do have a few programs.

I've downloaded and installed Notebook Pro. Maybe Martin will see the discussion and send me some great big discount code or something  ;)

Edit - Oops, I had forgotten that Martin already gave us a 50% discount code, valid until the end of Jan, in honor of our upcoming fundraiser. Act now everyone!

Thanks again guys.
Take care, Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:14 PM by KenR »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2008, 04:31 PM »
IMPORTANT NOTE: do-Organizer default installation directory has changed from ie. C:\Program Files\Gemx\doOrganizer to C:\Gemx\doOrganizer. If you are installing it to version 3.1 default location please remember to copy your licence key to the new do-Organizer default installation location after finishing the installation. Otherwise do-Organize will run in TRIAL mode.

This, imho, is retarded. NO APPLICATION SHOULD INSTALL TO C:\. Not in the modern day and age. Program files exists for a reason, as a single place for installed applications. GemX just made a very big bonehead move.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #318 on: January 13, 2008, 06:22 PM »
This, imho, is retarded. NO APPLICATION SHOULD INSTALL TO C:\. Not in the modern day and age. Program files exists for a reason, as a single place for installed applications. GemX just made a very big bonehead move.
I suspect that they had problems with getting their app Vista compatible and instead of making significant changes, decided to get out of the Program files folder altogether. But this is pure speculation on my part (I was also shocked when I read that).
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2008, 11:50 AM »
This, imho, is retarded. NO APPLICATION SHOULD INSTALL TO C:\. Not in the modern day and age.

Josh,
When I got Vista last summer, I had to reinstall InfoSelect to C:\, after installing it to Program Files and realizing *nothing* was saving.

I was told that Vista does not allow most programs written prior to Vista to write data to C:\Program Files.

I haven't had any problems with this installation. I just installed do-Organizer to C:\, as well.
Forgive my ignorance, but is there some particular reason why this is bad?
-Sarah

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2008, 11:53 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but is there some particular reason why this is bad?
Once installed, users (good and malicious ones) should not be able to access the program files folders. That way, less chance that something will go wrong. That is the theory. All program data, should use application data/program name/...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2008, 02:04 PM »
That's true - the problem is that pre-Vista it was never enforced. Also pre-Vista there is nothing to stop anyone going into C:\Program Files or C:\Windows and pretty much doing what they like.

As I understand it the new method was introduced into Vista to aid multiuser applications keep seperate data - or maybe there was a bit of security too - can't remember.

Maybe Vista users should create their own C:\Noncompliant Program Files folder and install older apps in there ? Keep C:\ clean.

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2008, 09:49 PM »
That is the theory.

Here is another theory:

Why not take heed to what mouser said? Get off their backs [GemX], and leave them alone. Let's see what 2008 will bring!

It's the new year and maybe it's time for some second chances and for giving people the benefit of the doubt. I think it's clear that people have had problems with GemX, and they have expressed their unhappiness.
But maybe it's time to cut them some slack and see how they do in the coming year.
-mouser

In the beginning, this thread was setup so users could express their disappointments. Well, fine, that has been done. There are 13 pages now, how many more do you need? I don't believe that this thread is for people to constantly REPORT back any GemX issues on a constant basis - if so, then I think that we are abusing the privelege granted to us in this thread. That's a sign that it's getting out-of-line. If you want to constantly put wood in the fire, then you're stirring things up wrongfully. I firmly disagree with this constant reporting...

I would just rather say what's on my mind (no offense)....
Happy new year

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2008, 10:13 PM »
doublewitt: I have no intent of repeating what I've said in the past, however, I will not stand idley by and let a person blindly purchase a program from a company with a very shady support history. I will give my opinion here when asked, and I will do so in a manner I deem which fits the question asked. In this case, the question was would you recommend the program. I said yes but only if you can deal with the fact that you might not get support answers in a timely manner at certain times. I have no intent to bash a company for the past, but I will state what time has proven to be true.

zak11000

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #324 on: January 15, 2008, 03:38 AM »
I agree. Why shouldn't we post comments here if we want to? Are GemX going to try to close this forum down as well? Are we not allowed to criticise a piece of software if we want to and post our opinions? This was a totally ridiculous comment to make doublewitt... The only reason people are expressing their opinions here is because there is no other place to do this.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:54 AM by zak11000 »