topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How do you organise your 'My Documents' folder  (Read 57007 times)

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do you organise your 'My Documents' folder
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 05:31 AM »
This thread is proving very useful to me, since I've finally got a new computer!  :P

I'm surpised how little stuff I actually need to move from the old one: bbLean, Opera, DOpus, Rough Draft, NoteTab, and of course FARR. Files I'm working on regularly, but most of the stuff I squirreled away for "reference" I'll either never look at again or find quicker on the Web.  ;)

Perhaps the ultimate would be to have no local "My Documents" at all. http://zenhabits.net...t-completely-online/, but I'm not quite ready for that yet.

If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 01:03 AM »
This stuff's highly dependent on the individual and relies so heavily on what mnemonics work best for that person.

That's damn right. One thing you have to get straight is.. am I sorting for myself? Or other people?  ;D

I also do what mouser does, that is try to keep my data/files seperate from stuff created from other programs.. for example a lot of programs put folders/files in "My Documents." It really is a pain in the ass, then you have to configure the damn program to put its stuff in another dir (that's if you can)..some programs are google apps, adobe apps, etc. I hate how they stick their shit where ever the want, as a matter of fact, that goes to any program that puts stuff where ever (right now I'm battling it out with MSN messenger c:\*.sqm files - WTF!!).  So I feel what mouser and superboyac are saying..
So I usually make a dir such as d:\myshit and have all my files there instead of the "my documents" rubbish.. and then I usually arrange by subject such as "work", "gaming" ,"personal", etc.

As for a C:\Programs dir, I instead use C:\Tools :) for programs, tools and utils that are small, old, etc.

P.S., I have also tried tag2find and tagg, although I don't use them a lot.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:17 AM by mitzevo »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Now that I think of it, most of what I write now goes to onenote, and that does away with the need of folders/files!

cybernetnews

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Ryan - a CyberNet News Editor
    • View Profile
    • CyberNet News
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 10:23 PM »
I actually create another subfolder called "Ryan's Documents" which is where I place everything you would expect to find in My Documents. This is because a lot of applications like to create folders in My Documents, and every night I have an automated backup system scour my "Ryan's Documents" folder for backups. I would hate for it to backup the folders left behind by meaningless applications.

Within the Ryan's Documents I have a ton of subfolders that are crazily nested within eachother in hopes of maining organization between school work, work stuff, and other items that are important to me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 12:17 AM »
Sounds like Ryan and I think alike in this area (see https://www.donation...47.msg72764#msg72764 for my description which also extends this approach to the program files directory). 

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 01:47 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what are those apps which creates dirs under "My Documents"? The only one I can think about it's a-squared, which insists in storing scanning logs there (not that I'm troubled by that) and Max Payne, for its savegames (a workaround for the Win9x-Win2K situation back then)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 06:16 PM »
Well.. Let's see:

PaintShop Pro (a different folder for each version)
IdeaMason
SoftMaker Office 2006
Intervideo WinDVD
DVDFab Platinum
PaperPort
Book Collector
MP3 Collector
Music Collector
Photo Collector
Azureus
ClipMate
Endnote
FinePrint
TextNotes Pro
Do-Organizer
Datamystic software
GOMPlayer
Stuff-It
Snapfire
NetSnippets
ObjectDock
Scansoft PDF Pro
SnagIt
SpellCatcher
TrueLaunchBar
WhereIsIt
Zoner Studio

That's a rough list - I may have missed some!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I toss my stuff I need temporarily onto the desktop for later (a few mins to a week or so) and "Documents" doesn't get much attention anymore. Its mostly an automated stronghold of Halo, Halo 2, Test Drive Unlimited and other gamer profiles and junk that can only be read by some idiot who programmed it in ChinAmericaSpanish or something ("profsavecheckatlocxy=truefalse=nocheck=true 003,045,053,281" type stuff). ;D Anything I want to keep for an extended amount of time I throw into Documents\archived stuff, but I clean it out frequently. I don't save much anymore  :-\

stylecrime

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 08:15 PM »
I'm opting for 3. Unfortunately it clashes with Microsoft's idea, as My Pictures and My Music is not sorted by project or theme.

Exactly my thinking, which is why I don't use the My Documents folder!  I (as do some others, based on the replies I'm seeing here) generally let software put whatever it wants to in there, and I've created a different "Documents" folder where I can safely organise my own hierarchy based on purpose/project without fear of installation routines and other automated stuff messing it up.  I've mapped that folder to a drive letter, so I don't have to dig through folders to find my docs.  I find the usage of all the "My ..." folders really annoying!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:17 PM by stylecrime »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 09:02 PM »
Thanks, Darwin. The only app in that list that I'll use in the future is Azureus, and it's not exactly clear if that will be my BitTorrent client of choice. Maybe Shareaza as it accepts DC, ed2k and Gnutella protocols as well *ahem*

</offtopic>

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007, 03:23 AM »
I'm opting for 3. Unfortunately it clashes with Microsoft's idea, as My Pictures and My Music is not sorted by project or theme.

Exactly my thinking, which is why I don't use the My Documents folder!  I (as do some others, based on the replies I'm seeing here) generally let software put whatever it wants to in there, and I've created a different "Documents" folder where I can safely organise my own hierarchy based on purpose/project without fear of installation routines and other automated stuff messing it up.  I've mapped that folder to a drive letter, so I don't have to dig through folders to find my docs.  I find the usage of all the "My ..." folders really annoying!

are you able to get rid of "My Docs" from the Explorer tree then as well?
oh yeah,
how does one give a folder a drive letter ?!?
Can you do that using windows "Disk Management"?
Tom

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 03:24 AM »
I've mapped that folder to a drive letter, so I don't have to dig through folders to find my docs.
Ahh that's a good tip, never considered that. There are benefits with My documents, but mostly for me they come down to explorer integration. Assigning a drive letter and maybe editing the places bar with Tweak UI should sort that out.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007, 05:36 AM »
Desktop\Work -> Client -> Project -> [files organized as needed]

Share -> Downloads (default download location) -> further divided according to status
         -> CD Images
         -> Categorized Appz (where installers go after installation, for reference and sharing with friends later)
         -> Uploads (for other users on network to drop files in)
         -> zTasks (z to sort to bottom of heirarchy) -> subfolders according to status

My documents -> big list of files for indexing (stuff i can safely ignore)

then use filebox extender and add those folders to the list so they are easy to access from anywhere! done and done :).

still haven't figured out a good way to deal with Reference materials though... :\

oh well...
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007, 03:28 PM »
No Strictness

I don't really have a strict concept of organizing my files, nor do I have a folder "My Documents".

My home directory only has a few subdirectories which don't change often:

desktop-and-home.jpgHow do you organise your 'My Documents' folder

• Apps - wrapper scripts for all the programs I use
  • Bilder - avatar images only
  • Choices - contains files and scripts to configure my desktop environment and most of the programs I use
  • Desktop - files and directories that I actively work with, or plan on working with; about as messy as my real desk
  • bin - so I can locally install programs without confusing my package manager
  • lib - likewise
  • mount - I mount stuff here

The ATPBA

In my Desktop directory I sort the files my secret ATPBA (Adaptive Type/Purpose-Based Algorithm): files I need for my work for the c-base club go into "c-base"; torrent files I keep in "Torrents" until I have downloaded the files; articles for newspapers and magazines, letters, invoices are in "Texte"; movie files are in "Filme".

ATPBA can be expressed shortly as: make directories after purpose and file types.

On Capitalization

I tend to use capitalized directory names; exceptions are "bin" and "lib" for technical reasons, and "c-base" because the name is not to be capitalized.

Slippy Bastard

Applying the ATPBA is not simple due to its adaptive nature. It is like using genetic algorithms to create circuits: it works and it works well - but nobody knows how or why. Deleting files helps a lot; if I haven't touched a file or directory for a couple of weeks I put them in a directory "to burn". Once that holds enough data, they are burned to cd-rom and deleted from my harddrive. I write the date and the names of the directory on the cdrom, but I don't group them in, say, "projects", "fun" - instead there are "cbrp-homework", "Battle Programmer Shirase" (a very funny anime), and the like.

Who's On Top?

I like to put files into directories, but I don't like to create a deep hierarchy - unless there is demand, i.e. organizing my 80 GB of mp3-files.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:14 AM by housetier »

ravenlaughs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Fire From The Sky
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007, 07:20 PM »
I don't. My computer is not shared with anyone else, so I have no reason to use the #$%&@*! My fsck1ng Documents thing. I hate, loathe, and despise the whole "My" scene, Mycorot's demeaning baby-naming makes me sick.

Because the MS Office monsterware (and other things) won't stay out of it, I put in shortcuts to my real archive directories. They are in a partition far, far away, safe from random Windwoes brain-farts that might suddenly make my files inaccessible.

I once lost everything because I trusted That Folder. I'm not the only one. That's a big part of why I hate it so much. I don't want to see That Name any more than I have to. Renaming or moving IT doesn't help, because the puky label will still be all over everything. Also, it can be hard to get into from decent proggies.

One other reason I don't - I have several different accounts on this computer, for special uses, and "we" all want convenient access to the same stuff!

If I had to use IT (retching noises), I would organize pretty much the way I do now. Lots of folders, some subfolders, and no snowdrifts of unorganized files. It would vary a lot. I would back up more often than I do now. It would be a pain in the parts.

In Linux, I behave according to the norm in everyday usage, because Ubuntu doesn't force any "My Widdle Folder" BS on me. It's not the place, it's the attitude, the stupidity of the name - and the bad memories.
Happiness is a warm reboot

Metacosm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 04:30 AM »
Simple, clean and with everything I don't care about hidden away.  At one point I tried to fight the silly ms naming convention, but more recently, I decided to go with it for consistency (rather than fight it) and it has made my life easier.  Accept the convention and things get less painful.  (Microsoft did away with the convention in Vista, go them).

-My Documents
+---My Connections
|   +---Home
|   |   +---Shortcut to some connection to home (vpn / putty / etc)
|   |   +---Shortcut to some connection to home (vpn / putty / etc)
|   +---Work
|   |   +---Shortcut to some connection to work (vpn / putty / etc)
|   |   +---Shortcut to some connection to work (vpn / putty / etc)
|   \---Personal Servers
+---My Downloads
|   +---Stuff
|   |   +---Random
|   \---Things
+---My Music
|   +---iTunes
|   |   +---iTunes controlled structure
|   +---Raw
|   |   +---raw FLAC files
+---My Pictures
|   +---Friends
|   \---Family
+---My Projects
|   +---Company A
|   |   +---Project 1
|   |   |   +---Trunk 1
|   |   \---Project 2
|   +---Company B
|   |   +---Project 1
|   |   |   +---Trunk 1
|   |   \---Project 2
|   +---Personal
|   |   +---Project 1
|   |   |   +---Trunk 1
|   |   +---Project 2
|   +---Shared
|   |   +---Project 1
|   |   |   +---Trunk 1
|   |   \---Project 2
\---My Texts
    \---Company
        +---Ideas
        |   +---Idea 1
        |   \---Idea 2
        +---Networking
        \---Receipts
    \---Personal
        +---Ideas
        |   +---Idea 1
        |   \---Idea 2
        +---Networking
        \---Receipts
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 04:32 AM by Metacosm »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 07:31 AM »
I had a tree structure like this but you end up spending more times shuffling files than working - and a lot of things could fit in more than one category so in the end you are never sure where to look for things.

So I went to a much flatter set up and better search.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 09:53 AM »
At one point I tried to fight the silly ms naming convention, but more recently, I decided to go with it for consistency (rather than fight it) and it has made my life easier.  Accept the convention and things get less painful.

Same conclusions...

I had a tree structure like this but you end up spending more times shuffling files than working - and a lot of things could fit in more than one category so in the end you are never sure where to look for things.

So I went to a much flatter set up and better search.

Same conclusions too!
This is why I've decided to put all my energies in filenaming instead.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 11:45 AM »
I could write volumes on file organizing, but here is the basics (and yes, it is just the basics, sorry it's so long):

It seems to me that the way that Microsoft thinks with the My Documents folder, they expect you to only have 1 hard drive and one huge partition on it and keep all your stuff in that single folder.

I don't use the default folder provided by Windows for anything I care about...and that would be everything that's mine. (I hate putting anything on the OS drive that isn't part of the OS)

And I don't install programs to the default folder on the system drive. And if I can move a default folder off the system drive without encountering any problems, I do it.

Almost every category of file has it's own partition and I have more than 1 hard drive, including an external drive for backups.

extended system & software