topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google now includes StarOffice as a free download!  (Read 11619 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google now includes StarOffice as a free download!
« on: August 14, 2007, 04:20 AM »
Free software offered by Google under Google Pack just got bigger with the addition of StarOffice.

googlepack322.png

According to PCPro on Monday:
Not content with taking on Microsoft Office with its online Docs and Spreadsheet service, Google has now included StarOffice in its free download suite. StarOffice is, curiously, the paid-for cousin of the open-source OpenOffice, which has been selling for around $70 on Sun's website. StarOffice includes extra features, fonts and templates over OpenOffice. Sun also offers customers three free support calls during the first 60 days of ownership. "Google Pack includes a free, non-expiring version of StarOffice 8 that includes all the major functionality of the paid consumer version, except for the Adabas D database," says a Google spokesperson. "We believe that users will benefit from access to a free, full-featured office suite for the desktop." ...However, it poses yet another problem for Microsoft, which is struggling to match Google's vast range of popular online services.

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google now includes StarOffice as a free download!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:56 AM »
Here's a link,so you don't have to fiddle with Google's Pack

http://gpdl.google.c...8.0.9189.0/setup.exe
It weighs about 143.40 MB.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:17 AM »
So, what's cool in staroffice that openoffice doesn't have?
- carpe noctem

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 06:45 AM »
Here’s a list of things included with StarOffice 8 that’s not in OpenOffice (from Wikipedia):

* Several font metric compatible Unicode TrueType fonts containing bitmap representations for better appearance at smaller font sizes
    * 12 Western fonts (including Andale Sans, Arial Narrow, Arial Black, Broadway, Garamond, Imprint MT Shadow, Kidprint, Palace Script, Sheffield) and 7 Asian language fonts (including support for the Hong Kong Supplementary character set)
    * Adabas D database
    * StarOffice-only templates and sample documents
    * A large clip art gallery
    * Sorting functionality for Asian versions
    * File filters for additional older wordprocessing formats (including EBCDIC)
    * A different spell checker (note that OpenOffice.org does include a spell checker as well) and thesaurus
    * StarOffice Configuration Manager
    * Macro Converter for converting Microsoft Office VBA-macros to StarBasic
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:48 AM »
Thanks for that, sri!

So, same codebase as OpenOffice but with some additional stuff... that I don't need :)
- carpe noctem

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 07:56 AM »
It also includes a google toolbar inside all of the office applications which I think doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I managed to get rid of it, but then I discovered that they even included an option to search google for the selected word when doing a spellcheck as well (as the first choice no less). While none of these things are a problem as such (we're getting it for free after all), I find it intrusive and completely unnecessary in a office suite.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:02 AM »
I used to have StarOffice 8 installed (academic licensing meant I got to use it for free) and it is a lot more polished that OpenOffice.org  (I had an early version of OO.org 2 installed previously). The extra fonts make a difference - one of the things that you are "paying" for is the technology for font smoothing, which makes everything look better. Compatibility with MS Office docs seemed better to me too. In the end, having Office 2003 Pro, I coudn't see the point of keeping StarOffice installed, but I was impressed. Even if I had to pay for it (what is it now - $70 or so) I would as I think it is well worth it.

PS Dirhael posted while I was typing the above - if you qualify for StarOffice academic licensing and are able to download direct from Sun, the Google Toolbar is not an issue.

SO: if you qualify for academic licensing (and their conditions are liberal and they don't make you go through any hoops to prove that you qualify) the regular download from Sun is an EXCELLENT alternative to MS Office and WordPerfect Office.

EDIT: corrected several embarrassing spelling mistakes  :-[
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 08:05 AM by Darwin »

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 08:36 AM »
I used to have StarOffice 8 installed (academic licensing meant I got to use it for free) and it is a lot more polished that OpenOffice.org  (I had an early version of OO.org 2 installed previously). The extra fonts make a difference - one of the things that you are "paying" for is the technology for font smoothing, which makes everything look better. Compatibility with MS Office docs seemed better to me too. In the end, having Office 2003 Pro, I coudn't see the point of keeping StarOffice installed, but I was impressed. Even if I had to pay for it (what is it now - $70 or so) I would as I think it is well worth it.

PS Dirhael posted while I was typing the above - if you qualify for StarOffice academic licensing and are able to download direct from Sun, the Google Toolbar is not an issue.

SO: if you qualify for academic licensing (and their conditions are liberal and they don't make you go through any hoops to prove that you qualify) the regular download from Sun is an EXCELLENT alternative to MS Office and WordPerfect Office.

EDIT: corrected several embarrassing spelling mistakes  :-[

Thanks for the info, I didn't know they offered academic licenses just like that. Don't think it'll make me switch from MS Office just yet as I still find both StarOffice & OOo a bit to slow, and the spreadsheet application isn't worth much if you're working with larger documents. Still, it's a great product overall and at a fraction of the cost of a Office license (which is priced out of this world, just like Adobe's programs).
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 11:20 AM »
Yes - I hope my point was clear: StarOffice/OpenOffice are excellent alternatives to MS Office, but if you've got Office you don't need this and there's not much incentive to switch (yet!).

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 12:58 PM »
I mostly use Word 2003, but I like OOo very much -- except for a few things, like cross-referencing, commenting and outlining, which I use a lot. And I don't think that StarOffice makes these things better, of course...

I actually sometimes use OOo to "correct" problems (usually : table problems) in MS Word documents by opening/saving them in OOo and then reopening them in Word. Strangely, it fixes the tables etc.  :huh:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 01:02 PM »
I actually sometimes use OOo to "correct" problems (usually : table problems) in MS Word documents by opening/saving them in OOo and then reopening them in Word. Strangely, it fixes the tables etc. 

Hmm... thanks for that tip, Armando. I may get some use out of StarOffice yet, then.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 12:06 AM »
Hmmmm...

Google is truly becoming the 800 lb Internet gorilla, and their business practices are no better (and often much worse) than whatever MS has been accused of.

I don't think people shoud be chanting, "cool!" Quite the opposite, I think people should be VERY wary of what Google is doing. They're reading your Gmail already (context sensitive ads) and God only knows what else.

The Google mission to "organize all the information in the world" includes YOUR information. This is VERY scary... Now that they're sticking their nose even further into your desktop should be a cause for serious concern.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 09:38 AM »
I prefer MS Office 2000... it's very fast (usable on a pmmx-200/64meg ram), unlike the bloated OpenOffice... and it does all I need.
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Yup. I liked Office 2000 a lot. Update to 2003 was simply a necessity - I needed features of Excel that were unavailable in 2000 (don't ask me what they were - I had to batch replace text in 10's of 1000's of cells spanning three different workbooks and numerous worksheets. The software I was using didn't support Excel 2000). As my copy of 2000 was from my former employer the upgrade to an academic copy of 2003 seemed appropriate.

My earlier point stands though - if anyone is looking for a office suite without the cost associated with MS Office OpenOffice.org/StarOffice is a great alternative for consideration. Of course, there is also WordPerfect Office, but it's more expensive.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 10:05 AM »
Hmmmm...

Google is truly becoming the 800 lb Internet gorilla, and their business practices are no better (and often much worse) than whatever MS has been accused of.

I don't think people shoud be chanting, "cool!" Quite the opposite, I think people should be VERY wary of what Google is doing. They're reading your Gmail already (context sensitive ads) and God only knows what else.

The Google mission to "organize all the information in the world" includes YOUR information. This is VERY scary... Now that they're sticking their nose even further into your desktop should be a cause for serious concern.

I completely agree with you.. The Big G is getting even bigger. This is the turning point, 2007, google is spreading into every thing. You must be careful..  ;D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 01:25 PM »
The Star in Google's Office

Joe Wilcox (www.microsoft-watch.com):

Ho. Ho. StarOffice now comes with Google Pack. Is it really a big deal?

Another reason I hate vacations is that all the exciting news—such as SCO, Novell and Unix—seems to pour out together. Now, it's Google and Sun kissing in a tree.

StarOffice is now included with Google Pack, the oddball collection of free software. StarOffice brings the collection's number to 13. Will that be Google's and Sun's lucky number? Yes and no is the answer.

Quick recap: In late 2005, Google and Sun cut a technology agreement that generated all kinds of speculation about a StarOffice distribution deal. The rumors came to naught. Google instead developed its own online products. Google Docs and Spreadsheets is more suited to the company's Web business.

So, what does it all mean?

Reasons why this is no big deal:

• OpenOffice already is available for free.
  • Microsoft offers Office Trials, for which there is a high conversion to the paid version.
  • Works 9 will be free in an ad-supported version.
  • Many productivity suite functions are commoditized elsewhere, such as e-mail, personal accounting and photo slide show software.

This could be a very big deal, if:

• StarOffice is distributed for free, to anyone, anywhere.
  • Google and Sun extend StarOffice capabilities through Web services, such as online collaboration, e-mail and search keywords (e.g., ad-supported software).
  • Office Trial conversions decline—a likely consumer and small business market scenario for OEM preloads.
  • Dell includes StarOffice on new PCs as part of its Google distribution deal.
  • Google and Sun expand their relationship to include search, server and storage capabilities.

The more immediate risk isn't Microsoft but Corel—or even OpenOffice. Easy and free distribution of commercial StarOffice would likely negatively impact open-source OpenOffice, including future development.

Where Microsoft wins is distribution of the commercial Sun software, rather than its open-source software. Open-source advocates should consider the Google-Sun deal as a foreboding occurrence.
-Joe Wilcox
http://www.microsoft...WRSS02129TX1K0000535

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 03:32 PM »
Thanks Zaine and TinyVillager!!!
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 04:01 PM »
Here's a link,so you don't have to fiddle with Google's Pack

http://gpdl.google.c...8.0.9189.0/setup.exe
It weighs about 143.40 MB.

I installed Star Office but dont believe I used the link in quote cause I also seem to have googleupdater installed
I know there's an update (well the programme says there is) but cant dl it directly and google updater doesnt recognise/cant find the Star Office install and I cant add it manually to google updater

not loosing any sleep :) but wondering how others who used/using google updater getting on?
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 04:29 PM »
forgot to say if I go to "Installed Software" tab & select "Recent Activity" -
it shows Star Office 8 and install date but it still doesnt show it on the "Installed Software" tab

okay, just sorted it
see
http://www.google.co...&hl=en&gl=us

1. Open the Google Updater, and select the "Preferences" tab.
2. Click "Advanced Options" if this section is hidden.
3. Check "Update all software available in the Google Pack" to keep all Google Pack software up-to-date, or un-check it to keep only Google software updated. Please note that by un-checking this box, you also turn off notifications for new third-party software.
4. Click the "Save Preferences" button.
-
I checked "Update all software available in the Google Pack"
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 04:34 PM »
or maybe not -
it shows software as installed but still doesnt find any updates, maybe the update isnt available to google... :-\

it picked up on my acrobat reader install & cant find an (available) update for that either, but that could be because it's a stipped down version that's already installed... so no solutions here at any rate
Tom