topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 26566 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 03:18 PM »
Sheesh, I don't like ie7pro and firefox and you are on my case and call me a witch hunter. Get a life fella.

End transmission.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 04:10 PM »
Well you have nothing to back up your claims right? I dont care if you like it or not, Im interested in why it violates your security standard. Seems like witch hunting to me. Not surprisingly followed by notes about evil tracking cookings and web crawlers - all a big conspiracy. I trust you have investigated IE7Pro, at least on level with your Firefox adventure, so would you mind telling me where I find the spyware? As suggested by the reputable member! I actually use it, other DC members probably does too, so enlighten people.

Imagine if other forums posted equally unsubstantiated claims against DC software? Should such post be requested backup or eaten up like candy? Security is also about sticking to facts, rejecting ghost stories/rants, demanding proof/ability to reproduce. Im unsure about your "standard".

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 05:12 PM »
I never said there was spyware in either ie7pro or firefox.
I never said anything about evil tracking cookings.

More lies about what I post, you are getting annoying.

What 'claims' exactly are you talking about.
And quote exactly what I said or shut up.

I still use firefox. I'm not interested in ie7pro.

I don't care if you agree or disagree, like the way I said it or not.

I have not made any 'claims' about either one of said programs.

And I even gave you an internet link for doing what both programs 'claim' to do. Does that look as if I'm afraid of the internet?

And I will not discuss what my standards are with you. You continue to twist my words to your liking. Is that your hobby?

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 05:37 PM »
Ha-just noticed that said 'cooking', I guess it was supposed to be cookies. Or not...:).

Could be some evil cooking happening, I'll have to check the Food Network. :)

Lighten up dk, what goes around comes around.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 06:14 PM »
cmpm was just sharing his experiences with both IE 7 and Firefox.

Based on his thoughts, feelings, and experiences with both, he came to some conclusions about both applications. They both have their good points and bad points.

He discovered that he has a use for both, but neither browser is perfect enough for him to become the only browser he uses for everything.

I see nothing wrong with this.

He is happy with his decision to use both browsers for the things he feels they are best at.

I see nothing wrong with this either.

There were some suggestions offered about alternatives that might possibly make one or the other browser be the browser that does it all.

Nothing wrong with that either.

But cmpm decided he doesn't want to try some of the suggestion because he has some concerns about them.

There is nothing wrong with this either. It is his pc and he can avoid any software he chooses in order to keep his system safe. He can base his decision on a gut feeling...or even 'voodoo magic' if he chooses. If he decides he doesn't want to take the risk, that is his right. If it turns out he was correct, his system is safe. And even if he is wrong, his system is still safe.

He doesn't have to prove anything to anybody to have the right NOT to install some application. Attacking him for exercising that right doesn't help anybody.

Personally, I have 5 browsers that I use for various purposes. Not 1 of them can be my browser that does everything. No matter what suggestions anyone makes, that isn't going to change.

Nothing I can add to Firefox is going to make it handle rss feeds exactly like AOLex. And nothing I could add to IE is going to make it as good at doing the things I use Firefox for. And nothing I could add to any of the other browsers is going to make it as good at organizing tabs into groups as opera is in true MDI mode. And nothing I could add to any of them is going to make them open as fast as AOLex. And nothing I could add to any of them is going to duplicate Crystalport's custom channels feature, exactly.

And sometimes even if the same functionality can be duplicated, it doesn't matter...because it doesn't look exactly the same. And maybe...just maybe...I like looking at it because I think it's pretty.

There is no one-size-fits-all in software. And this is a good thing. It means that there are many things to choose from and many more applications will come along in the future to play with.

So there is no sense fighting because someone doesn't want to use the same software as you. One should not have to defend their choice not to duplicate your system on theirs.

So let's stop the bickering and get back to doing what it is that we all enjoy, which for me right now happens to be baking some pumpkin bread.  :-*

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 06:29 PM »
Can I have some?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 10:30 PM »
Can I have some?

I'll brings some to the DC reunion.  ;)

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2007, 11:35 PM »
I'm in Australia.  I would have to fly to the US.  Not that that is out of the question.  I would love to visit the US.  The main problem is money.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2007, 11:42 PM »
pumpkin bread must be worth a second (or subsequent) mortgage  >:D

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 12:09 AM »
pumpkin bread must be worth a second (or subsequent) mortgage  >:D

I don't know about anybody else's, but mine sure is.  :P

I'm in Australia.  I would have to fly to the US.  Not that that is out of the question.  I would love to visit the US.  The main problem is money.

mouser says nobody is allowed to miss it, so you will have to be there. Start saving up for the trip now.  :D

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 02:54 AM »
hey Jeff, if ya go, take me as luggage lol

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 01:06 PM »
Not going to review old misunderstandings but, especially for you app103, unless Im blind one can only get the impression that IE7Pro and/or OrbitDownloader is spyware, unethical - to be avoided. That is rubbish to say and so I object to this. I dont care who say it either. Have nothing to do with "personal" choice of browser - I have no interest in others personal choice but thanks for the lesson. What I will say is that cmpm have no knownledge about what I linked to and is just chitchatting along with "reputable" forum member Wordzilla who declared this evil - in the thread I linked to. I should not care but find logic stupid and dont mind saying so. Self proclaimed truths based on nothing just boils me up. Show me some proof warranting these hints and suggestions. Im not the one associating Ie7Pro theme with web crawlers, dangerous internet or whatever - where did all that come from? Hard to figure out? Why I said to take it easy screaming SPYWARE without being absolutely sure. If there was meat on this case it would be visible, could be reproduced etc. Not down to personal ideas or feelings. Facts are not interesting. This particular item not meeting cmpms "security standards" means he have done thoroughly testing? - yeah right. Totally convincing, care to explain what he is on about? Dont you think he should? Just cut the nonsense and stick to facts is all Im asking - and I still have no share in IE7Pro but see no reason to flame program for anything but minor DC-spamming over a months long periode. Saying that is unethical is already stretching it.

I never pimped any browser to anyone, not the issue at all if you read more than selected lines - saying I find IE7 quite useful with IE7Pro should say enough of that. If he said screw IE7 and addons fine with me, I could not care less. Pretending doing proper testing while just babbling whatever seems appropriate is annoying and in the case of IE7pro just plain silly. Very possible that attitude give me doubts about how he actually carry out his "tests" of this and that including Firefox which he suddenly dont "like" but my problem - must be careful with accusations.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2007, 06:15 PM »
Very possible that attitude give me doubts about how he actually carry out his "tests" of this and that including Firefox which he suddenly dont "like" but my problem - must be careful with accusations.

Nope, sorry dk, never said I didn't like Firefox. In fact I'm using it a lot.
Speaking of attitude, look in the mirror. Unless you are some kind of computer generated response.

http://forums.mozill...0f1a4a964c4db374d412

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Personally, I have 5 browsers that I use for various purposes. Not 1 of them can be my browser that does everything. No matter what suggestions anyone makes, that isn't going to change.
5 browsers :tellme: What have you got that I haven't? More importantly, would it be worthwhile a look?
I've got IE7 (hardly ever used because of the lack of screen space, similar to M$ Office), FF (and I know it inside out), for things that FF for some sinister (Apple related) reason can't do, Safari (certainly the fastest and ugliest browser on the market).
Now which one did I miss?  :-\ Opera doesn't count as this time waster (in every regard) is only for people that like playing around. :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:56 PM by biox »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2007, 05:00 AM »
:-\ Opera doesn't count as this time waster (in every regard) is only for people that like playing around. :P
thought that was Firefox with all its extensions  :P  :P
Tom

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2007, 08:40 AM »
:-\ Opera doesn't count as this time waster (in every regard) is only for people that like playing around. :P
thought that was Firefox with all its extensions  :P  :P
Nice come back. 8) Only I had taken Opera out of my calculation already. So what's the 5th??? :P :-\

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2007, 08:46 AM »
You mean K-Meleon?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 09:37 AM »
me,
i use FF, Opera, K-Meleon (I always tend to have lots of tabs open in FF or Opera so K-M is my fast default browser), IE when necessary - although I suppose I could use Maxthon then which I also have
I still use OffByOne occasionally but dont now why in particular  :-\
Can only really say I use 4

App has a very stripped down IE based browser on offer at her site
dIE (damn IE :) )
Tom

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 12:56 AM »
Does anyone use Mouse Gestures add-on in FF? If so, kindly check this.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:10 AM by sri »