topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Window Arranger Software  (Read 16132 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Window Arranger Software
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:53 AM »
Free software to modify windows and arrange them in a pattern to maximize desktop space.

Although monitors and video cards are becoming cheaper every day, it is still not enough space on the screen for those people who intensively use computer in their everyday work, such as engineers, financial brokers, software developers, etc. Do they need to buy another monitor? No, there is WinArranger - a simpler solution.

WinArranger helps you to use your workspace more effectively by arranging windows on your computer screen in the most optimal way. It can even hide windows borders and captions and system taskbar. Multi-monitor configurations are fully supported.

Its low system requirements make it possible to use it in your office as well as at home. Moreover, it has neat and straightforward interface, customizable hotkeys and features unique layouts which can not be accomplished by the standard means.

Key Features
Hiding of window borders and captions
Customizable number of windows per each monitor
Customizable layout for each screen configuration
Three modes for window ordering: manual, by process, by title
Hotkey shortcuts for quick operation
Rules for the flexible management of windows to be arranged

from http://tech.cybernetnews.com/
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Window Arranger Software
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 07:13 AM »
Holly hack, it hates find and run!
Nevertheless, it is a good idea, Something i should thing about implementing in gridmove.
Very interesting post, ken. I'll keep this around ;)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 08:48 AM »
Holly hack, it hates find and run!
Nevertheless, it is a good idea, Something i should thing about implementing in gridmove.
Very interesting post, ken. I'll keep this around ;)

I use gridmove constantly. I'm not sure that auto-arranging windows would be all that useful. I like putting windows right where I want them. However, adding the options to remove borders, status bars, etc. could be useful when you are dealing with smaller windows.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:19 AM »
I use gridmove constantly. I'm not sure that auto-arranging windows would be all that useful. I like putting windows right where I want them.
Yes, but it'd be cool if i could somehow configure the grids to have the windows automatically adjust themselves to it. Imagine for example the edge grid: the main grid could have a list of applications like this:
opera,firefox,internet explorer
and the others could have something like:
Mirc,msn messenger,xyplorer
So, when you pressed a hotkey (or activated the option in the tray menu), the existing windows that fitted the grid's description would be moved and adjusted automatically.
I think it sounds like a feature worth trying. I'd love to get some feedback on this idea.

However, adding the options to remove borders, status bars, etc. could be useful when you are dealing with smaller windows.
Well... I just tried that with ahk and didn't get very good results, the windows look messed up.
If you'd like to try it youself, here's the ahk code:
#y:
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A
return
#u:
WinSet, Style, +0xC00000, A
return
Just press windows + y to remove caption and windows + u to get it back.

If you like this, it's easy to make a plugin for gridmove.

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:17 AM »
you might also want to check this roundup 'Optimize your Screen Space with this Freeware' http://tech.cybernet...-with-this-freeware/ from the great guys at CyberNet News...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 09:04 PM »
look what happened, when i chose the default 'Arrange Windows'. all the hidden windows are pre-arranged for me.. :'(

wtf-1.pngWindow Arranger Software

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 06:48 AM »
look what happened, when i chose the default 'Arrange Windows'. all the hidden windows are pre-arranged for me.. :'(

Yep, that's why i said it hates find and run :)
I think it can be configured to ignore those windows, though.
Maybe they should pack it with better defaults, but sure looks like good software.

gussan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 07:16 PM »
jgpaiva, I agree with you "winarrange hates find and run". I like very much gridmove, but there is another great program to arrange windows using "(Win + NumPad)", very easy to use. Both are excellent for me, give me your opinion please.

http://zestant.googlepages.com/resizer

Take a look at it, it is great, many functions.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:21 PM »
good find, gussan! similar to FreeSnap, which i use but with more options.. :up:

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 09:13 PM »
This program is a major pain to setup regarding all the rules you have to add (at least for me anyway). I seen nothing that does what WindowSizer does, and it works right out of the box.

www.windowsizer.com

I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

gussan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 10:30 PM »
lanux128 good to know you like the software as I do. Regarding windowsizer, it seems nice, but it is shareware, however I will give it a try. Thanks for the info Nighted.

gussan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 10:58 PM »
Tried windowsizer, it does not work with all kind of windows, and it does not have hotkey personalization, although all the functions can be launched from tray tool. It seems a little limited to me, but useful I wish it were free or at least cheaper. reSizer works with all kind of windows I have worked with, and it is free.

gussan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 11:01 PM »
Forgot to say that both programs are not equal in features, both could be used in conjunction. But the issue windowsizer does not work with all kind of windows keeps me waiting for a version that works well.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 11:21 PM »
if you prefer a rule-based windows arranger, try Skrommel's WinWarden. just like winsizer, there's a one-time procedure where you have to add windows to the list. after that, it's all auto-pilot.. :)

skrommel-winwarden.png

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 11:24 PM »
Yeah, gussan, WindowSizer could really use some hotkeys, and probably a price drop. But it's unique in it's features.

What is this "reSizer" you mention?
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 11:41 PM »
What is this "reSizer" you mention?

i think he meant the program he is using..

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 01:24 AM »
Hmm...I think I'll stick with Sizer for most window sizing and positioning. When I'm moving windows around I'm using my mouse anyway. BTW, I have managed to figure out WinArranger and it works quite well when setup properly. Wish you could click the tray icon to reposition the windows though.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 02:00 AM »
yes, reSizer & FreeSnap are keyboard-based.. glad to see that you have figured out how to set-up WinArranger, any tips? :)

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 03:16 AM »
The best tip I can offer anyone is to study the attached screenshot. Some applications have more than one rule in my list, here's why: After first installing, I didn't quite know what I was doing. I'd add a program and when arranging windows, have some goofy looking behaviour like the screenshot (lanux128) posted above. SlickRun was one of these, man...it was frustrating...and KeyPass, wow, tons of little titlebars at the bottom of my screen. At first I was trying to set rules for every one of those objects that popped up when arranging. Soon I got it to work with one rule by deleting all the SlickRun rules I had set up and then just checking the one box, as before I was checking both the class and title of each object that was related to whichever program it sprang from.

The other rules from my first attempts are still there, so that's why you'll see some programs entered more than once. I could probably go back and do the same as I've described with SlickRun and remove those extra rules but it works that way and I'm VERY lazy.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:31 AM by Nighted »

gussan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 09:18 AM »
Hey, long time, but I must admit that after using WindowSizer some time I decided to bought it, it is great as Nighted said. Of course, I still miss hotkey personalization, but current mapping does not interfere with any application I currently use. I would recommend it very much. Regards.