topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SuperboyAC's Notetaking Software Roundup #1  (Read 64280 times)

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SuperboyAC's Notetaking Software Roundup #1
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Wow - good work Superboyac. Haven't been around in a while, and now -- this! Credz 2 U.

I missed OneNote from the matrix as well. I'm glad it'll be in your next roundup. Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a problem getting his head around TaoNotes.

I found myself liking Frankenote suprisingly a lot. To my mind, any editor these days ought to be based on XHTML or formatted XML rather than RTF, but that's a quibble.

Thanks!

- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 02:04 AM »
Very nice, thorough review.  I liked it.

I use two of the applications in the review:  AM-Notebook (Pro Version is the only way to go), and Evernote - though I only use the free version of that, as without the ability to use ink notes (like, a Tablet PC) I can;t see buying the Plus version. Syncing doesn't do it for me.  I use Evernote primarily for web clipping - or at least I did until recently. However for notes that I create from scratch, I just can't stop using AM-Notebook by Aignes Software.  Too many really neat features!

I said I used Evernote for clipping until recently because I "recently" obtained a copy of OneNote 2007 - and that has taken over most of the note functions on my main PC. I alerady had MS Office Professional - I still need to run Word, Excel, and Outlook only because I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking due to a disability that makes keyboard usage difficult (my left arm is fast failing me), and Dragon's "Select and Say" capability - which you would know is a must if you had to use Dragon - only works in programs that have added that capability.  Microsoft, though a royal pain in other ways - is the only developer of an Office Suite that writes full Select and Say compatibility into it. However it'll be a cold day in you-know-where before I re-mortgage my house to be able to afford Office 2007!! Even as an upgrade it's just priced ridiculously high.

But I had to purchase OneNote 2007 after reading some reviews - and after some close friends just gushed about it.  And I must admit that Microsoft has really created a winner there.  Best overall notes program I've seen - ever.  And I've seen quite a few in my many years!

I saw where others have posted about OneNote, and so I'll leave it at that.  But as much as I love both Evernote - and especially AM-Notebook, OneNote 2007 has no equal at the present time.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 10:40 AM »
J-Mac, welcome to DC.  Thanks for the word.

Yeah, I thought AM-Notebook was a really cool program.  I still haven't tried OneNote 2007, but I really want to sometime soon when I have the time.  I've also heard great things about it.  I still don't see it taking the place of traditional heirarchical notetakers, but I can see it being competition to programs like EverNote.  I have a feeling I'm selling Onenote short by saying that, but I have to try it out and see for myself.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 04:25 PM »
I still haven't tried OneNote 2007, but I really want to sometime soon when I have the time.  I've also heard great things about it.  I still don't see it taking the place of traditional heirarchical notetakers, but I can see it being competition to programs like EverNote.  I have a feeling I'm selling Onenote short by saying that, but I have to try it out and see for myself.

You sound like me right before I purchased and installed OneNote 2007.  ;)

Really though, in my opinion, you need to try it before "selling it short", as you say.  It has some pretty unique features that are not present in any that you reviewed.  Features that are actually quite a surprise in that Microsoft is not known for its innovation, but for its staid, steady programs, usually without any "pizzazz".  OneNote will not feel like a Microsoft Office application at all, when you try it. Oh - make sure you get the 2007 version, not 2003. Though I understand that OneNote 2003 was pretty good itself, OneNote 2007 jumped ahead a few light years, according to those I know who had both. One friend purchased OneNote 2003 recently because it was so cheap after the 2007 version hit the stores. Retailers were trying to unload it to make room on their shelves. Yet after he downloaded the trial for OneNote 2007 - all of two weeks after paying for 2003 - he went ahead and purchased the 2007 version!

BTW, you ca download a fully-functional trial version from the Microsoft and use it for a fairly long period. Worth a look.  :)

leisenstein

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 06:51 AM »
Wow!  Great review.

I've been looking for a good notetaking software for a long time.  I've tried the top 3, and decided on Mybase.
The only problem is to use it at multiple computers and keep it in sync, I had to keep the DB on a USB stick.  Then, I was informed by my boss, that it was against our security policy and I could get fired!

I'm now working with InnoKB which is the server version of Mybase and hopefully this will work out for me.

Can you include online/sync/portability features in the next roundup?  I'm not sure if InnoKB is the only one that can do this.

Thanks

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 06:58 AM »
I've been looking for a good notetaking software for a long time.  I've tried the top 3, and decided on Mybase.
The only problem is to use it at multiple computers and keep it in sync, I had to keep the DB on a USB stick.  Then, I was informed by my boss, that it was against our security policy and I could get fired!

I'm now working with InnoKB which is the server version of Mybase and hopefully this will work out for me.

Can you include online/sync/portability features in the next roundup?  I'm not sure if InnoKB is the only one that can do this.

have you had a look at General brainstorming for Note-taking software,
and SQLNotes...what is it exactly? if you interested in databases
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 03:12 PM »
[...]

SQLNotes will support Ecco-style off-line / sync.

For those that haven't used Ecco, it had outstanding on-line/off-line capabilities. It was used when working on multiple computers (sync between home and work computers) but also as a collaborative tool, to behave as a network (i.e. share information and allow private items) with live updates.

p.s. I'm the designer of SQLNotes
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:13 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 03:45 PM »
SQLNotes will support Ecco-style off-line / sync.
That would be a feature to die for.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 12:28 PM »
superboyac, just a tag here since I just now read your review.  Nice job! :Thmbsup:

One thing about Evernote (not the web version out now, but the one you had to download and install) that is not documented is its ability to save in real time

I have never lost any keystroke when the screen went the BSOD-ish shade of blue! :)  So, if one needs to have the assurance that what is being typed will not be lost, then Evernote is the ticket.  I just wish it could copy down music notation too!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 01:19 PM »
superboyac, just a tag here since I just now read your review.  Nice job! :Thmbsup:

One thing about Evernote (not the web version out now, but the one you had to download and install) that is not documented is its ability to save in real time

I have never lost any keystroke when the screen went the BSOD-ish shade of blue! :)  So, if one needs to have the assurance that what is being typed will not be lost, then Evernote is the ticket.  I just wish it could copy down music notation too!

Ah yes!  Evernote 2.2...it was a great application.  i still use it.  I wish they never went web only.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 01:23 PM »
It's not web only... I use the desktop app, and love that everything is synced up between my work, home, iPhone, and web...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 01:35 PM »
It's not web only... I use the desktop app, and love that everything is synced up between my work, home, iPhone, and web...
I know you can USE it on the desktop, but isn't everything stored online?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 02:07 PM »
No, it's stored locally then synced.  If you don't want it to sync, then don't put in the password.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 02:20 PM »
No, it's stored locally then synced.  If you don't want it to sync, then don't put in the password.
Yeah, I don't know why ver 3 is getting such bad press. It offers the opportunity of online storage/sync but you can use it solely offline just as you could ver 2.2. Personally, I like the online capability and I much prefer ver 3's interface.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 02:32 PM »
^ Totally agreed.   I think people freaked out at the online bit, the interface, or one of the many changes, and didn't take the time to evaluate the product as an evolution rather than an incremental change so missed out.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2009, 03:00 PM »
^ Totally agreed.   I think people freaked out at the online bit, the interface, or one of the many changes, and didn't take the time to evaluate the product as an evolution rather than an incremental change so missed out.

Seems to me "the online bit" doesn't quite do it justice. I think it's one of the issues over which Holy War will be fought in computing, like vi vs emacs, perl vs everything else that begins with a 'p', or Total Commander vs Directory Opus :)

Quite seriously though, the more important a piece of data is, the less likely I am to put it online, at the mercy of a company that may disappear or be sold overnight. I don't care if it's Evernote or Google. Not to mention the time lag and the usual horrid interfaces (not that I have even seen the online edition of Evernote). I use Gmail and I like it, but I only use it for mailing lists and as a backup when traveling.

When a company is sold or goes into receivership, is the user data counted as an asset, and does it participate in setting the price/value of the business? I'm afraid the answer is yes it is and yes it does - but if so, than the data isn't really ours. It belongs to the company.

I don't have a particular gripe with Evernote - and if the primary storage is local, then all is dandy. I'm saying this only for the benefit of any hypothetical developers that might stumble upon this thread, so that they would consider how many customers they are apt to lose if they choose this path. Perhaps the gains will be greater than the losses, but a fair warning: try to make me put my private parts and pieces online, and, in the immortal words of Stephen Colbert, you are Dead To Me.

(Okay, so I've been burned. Hotmail once erased three weeks' worth of email from / to my fiancee - and I had to use Hotmail because nothing else was allowed across the firewall at a company I was working for abroad. I should have sued BilG for emotional distress and deprivation.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 03:24 PM »
Yeah, I don't know why ver 3 is getting such bad press. It offers the opportunity of online storage/sync but you can use it solely offline just as you could ver 2.2. Personally, I like the online capability and I much prefer ver 3's interface.

I cant remember the details now but I recall people saying the actual programme was dumbed down (in comparision to previous versions) & I thought that was a big factor in upsetting lots of people.
can it still do all that nice tagging it used be able to do?
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 03:41 PM »
i could have sworn evernote 3 stores the information online, and not locally.  Is there anywhere that talks about the details of all of this?  And I agree 100% with tranglos about online anything.  i don't want anything of mine stored online.  i went through great efforts to setup a multiple hard-drive backup/syncing/imaging solution on my computer because i want complete control of my data.  if i need to share my personal data online, I'll do it through very specific file-sharing methods connected to my main computer that i set up myself.  But most people will not go to these extents or even know how to do all this, which is why online methods work for a lot of non-computer-geek people.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 03:48 PM »
3 types of notebooks:
Local notebooks reside only on your computer and never get synchronized to the Web server.

Synchronized notebooks get synchronized to the Web server, but are private and only accessible with your username and password.

Published notebooks get synchronized to the Web server, but are public and can be viewed, but not changed, by anyone who knows it's URL (Web address) and by search engines
From Evernote.com

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I open evernote 3, and my information is there.  If I enter a password it syncs.  If  I don't, it lets me edit what I have locally.  Even if I do sync, my information is not publicly available, but secured by a password.  I can also create a local notebook that never syncs, but I haven't used that facility.  *shrugs*

I could do things another way as far as syncing my information, but tools like dropbox, evernote, and google documents make it so I don't have to.  As far as features, it does support nested tagging, attributes, and multiple notebooks, but beyond that I couldn't tell you if it was dumbed down as I never used it very much before 3, even though I had a license.   Now with version 3, I use it all the time.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2009, 03:52 PM »
I open evernote 3, and my information is there.  If I enter a password it syncs.  If  I don't, it lets me edit what I have locally.  Even if I do sync, my information is not publicly available, but secured by a password.  I can also create a local notebook that never syncs, but I haven't used that facility.  *shrugs*

I could do things another way as far as syncing my information, but tools like dropbox, evernote, and google documents make it so I don't have to.  As far as features, it does support nested tagging, attributes, and multiple notebooks, but beyond that I couldn't tell you if it was dumbed down as I never used it very much before 3, even though I had a license.   Now with version 3, I use it all the time.
Cool, thanks.  Well, looks like I oughta give it a try!

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 03:56 PM »
I like being able to add something to my database while I'm at work and have it show up in my local database on my home hard drive. Of course, I've chosen to have a synched database. I could have chosen a local only database but, I am not as concerned about having my data on the web. Having said that, I don't keep personal stuff in the online databse. I use Keepass for that. If somebody wants to break into my Evernote account and see my recipes, DIY notes and lifehack articles, then let them. They'll find I live a pretty boring life.  :-[

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2009, 12:49 AM »
Folks, the main point of my post was retention...

One thing about Evernote 2... ...that is not documented is its ability to save in real time

I have never lost any keystroke when the screen went the BSOD-ish shade of blue! :)  So, if one needs to have the assurance that what is being typed will not be lost, then Evernote 2 is the ticket. 

Unfortunately, the Evernote 3 client lost this very valuable capability.  In my trials of E3 if there was a BSOD or in random testing of cutting power manually and my assistant dropping the battery at an unannounced moment while I was typing E3 did not retain the keystrokes after the Return/Save.

For whatever reason, I am unable to retain my train of thought while typing since I think fast and type slow.  In cases where I was typing away and the PC glitched, I was unable to rebuild the scenario.  Most frustrating. :( 

Evernote 2 kept every keystroke regardless of the reason for the PC calamity.  This significantly lowered the stress level and I never had to worry about AutoSave either.

To me this is the singular, albeit, "undocumented" feature that makes Evernote 2 stand taller than the rest. 

If there is a chance to lose what you write, what good is any editor, note-taker, word-processor, etc.?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:52 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2009, 04:22 AM »
I know (I believe) that IQ/SQLNotes saves in real time as well but it's a very different beast to Evernote! There are surely othjer notetakers that have that capability - this was talked about somewhere here :-\

EDIT/
related thread:-
pls recommend a good benign keylogger I think there was another one too but ...
Tom
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:29 AM by tomos »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2009, 09:52 AM »
Folks, the main point of my post was retention...

One thing about Evernote 2... ...that is not documented is its ability to save in real time

I have never lost any keystroke when the screen went the BSOD-ish shade of blue! :)  So, if one needs to have the assurance that what is being typed will not be lost, then Evernote 2 is the ticket. 

Unfortunately, the Evernote 3 client lost this very valuable capability.  In my trials of E3 if there was a BSOD or in random testing of cutting power manually and my assistant dropping the battery at an unannounced moment while I was typing E3 did not retain the keystrokes after the Return/Save.

For whatever reason, I am unable to retain my train of thought while typing since I think fast and type slow.  In cases where I was typing away and the PC glitched, I was unable to rebuild the scenario.  Most frustrating. :( 

Evernote 2 kept every keystroke regardless of the reason for the PC calamity.  This significantly lowered the stress level and I never had to worry about AutoSave either.

To me this is the singular, albeit, "undocumented" feature that makes Evernote 2 stand taller than the rest. 

If there is a chance to lose what you write, what good is any editor, note-taker, word-processor, etc.?

Since I started using EN3, I haven't had that issue, and I've had a variety of issues with crashing and such, even as far as the sysadmins shutting down my machine with no notice!  Perhaps it was an issue with the version of EN3 that you were using?  Without saving or syncing, my stuff is always there...