topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: When rubber (computer mouse) gets old and sticky, what can you do  (Read 4054 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Have experienced this quite a lot recently, where what was originally some matte rubbery area on a computer mouse or something similar, is starting to deteriorate(?).. it gets sticky and unpleasant.

Is there a solution to this?  Attempting to wash it with soapy water does not help.
Maybe put oil on it?

Maybe there's a preventative way to stop this from happening in the first place?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: When rubber (computer mouse) gets old and sticky, what can you do
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 01:27 AM »
Most likely the plasticizer in the material is breaking down, so eventually the surface will get less rubbery over time. Nothing you can do about it, AFAIK, except of course replace the entire mouse. Had quite a few of them doing this, over time, usually after many years of good use though.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 05:14 AM »
A light dusting of talcum powder well rubbed in over the surface?

Removed the stickiness for me, usually comes back after awhile though since the rubber coating is still deteriorating.

In the end the coating completely wore away which fixed the problem.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 06:37 AM »
Methylated spirits/denatured alcohol should remove the offending material, but you'll want to clean it all off

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 09:32 AM »
My boss has a 3D printer. And he can get his hands on a rubbery filament, which allows him to make gaskets and such. Perhaps the same material could be used to print replacement rubbery sections for your favorite mouse?

If the fading rubber is the only problem the mouse has, of course.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:19 AM »
If the fading rubber is the only problem the mouse has, of course.
My experience is that once the external of the mouse is (severely) deteriorated, than the internals aren't that good as well.

Recently replaced a switch on 3 Logitech M705's, where they started to double-click 'for free', but on 2 of the 3 I also need to replace the other switch, it seems. And it isn't a bad batch either, as the ages of those 3 are quite different (youngest being < 1 yr old when it started failing, second ~5 yr and oldest > 7 yr before it failed).

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 11:45 AM »
This is what I do and it works a treat.

Methylated spirits/denatured alcohol should remove the offending material, but you'll want to clean it all off

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 07:19 PM »
My experience is that once the external of the mouse is (severely) deteriorated, than the internals aren't that good as well.

After 11 years, my CM Sentinel Advance still works well, coating fully wore off about 5 years ago.

Apart from the coating about the only problems with it is that some of the OLED segments are a little dim and the coating they had on the metal mesh inserts started wearing off - so I removed them, cleaned to bare metal, then applied gun blue about 6 or 7 years ago.

IIRC, the removal of the metal mesh to gun blue it has been the only time I've had it apart to clean it ... must be time to give it another surprise 😬

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 05:44 AM »
This is what I do and it works a treat.

Same here, but with a spray surface cleaner (Stoner brand I think) that they use at the office. Also consider using it to clean the mouse pad if it has a hard(ish) plastic surface, as they can get a bit tacky as well over time.

Just had to do this (both) at work a few months back. Quarter fold paper towel, spray some in the center, wipe down mouse and pad.