topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What, if anything, has IMPROVED for you as a result of the pandemic?  (Read 6098 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New hobby?
Learning more?
Developing new skills?
Better immediate family time?
Realization of long-term objectives?
Freedom to work in your underwear?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What, if anything, has IMPROVED for you as a result of the pandemic?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 08:43 PM »
I'm not a second class citizen working from home.

(then again, they also decided that now would be a good time to send us new windows 10 laptops, locked down so that we're not admin as devs and change the AD, so ... meh.)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 12:52 AM »
My boss told all of us to work from home whenever possible. His whole life he has been struggling with asthma. Even had to stay home for a whole school year because of having so much trouble he could barely be around other people and whatever remnants of pets the other children took from home into class. That was not a happy time for him and doesn't want to gamble his own health to have "first class" citizens around him the whole day. He created a office next to his home, so he can spend his time between work and family or dive in his swimming pool, whenever he feels like doing these things.

So...a strange notion to have. Then again, whatever floats your boat.

Back to the subject of the OP:
Freedom of working in slightly more than underwear has actually been a blessing. Spring started here below the equator and it is already very hot here. Between 35 and 40 degrees Celsius at night. Too lazy to translate that into Fahrenheit right now. Summer will be like hell here this year. Shedding clothes helps to cope with that heat.

A lack of commute also provides a bit of time to learn about things outside of work, yet work-related. Found those 2 extra hours a day a nice period to spend on that, if I'm honest.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 02:33 AM »
The best thing for me is other people adapting so that more things can be done without me having to interact with humans in person :)

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 03:55 AM »
Interaction with others on a more sensitive manner. (not virtual, real talkings)
Reduced prices.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 05:31 AM »
Reduced prices.
Where ?

Here the prices have actually increased due to shortage and non-running of transport.

Working from home, but not comfortable as office setup is missing.
Yes, can start work late and no need to dress.

Regards,

Anand

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 05:47 AM »
The best thing for me is other people adapting so that more things can be done without me having to interact with humans in person :)

Agreed, but for some of us it's best not to go too far with that, lest we go cave shopping and completely withdraw from society.

Seriously...the temptation is always there gnawing at the edges, because alone is oh so much "safer"..

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 07:25 AM »
Working from home, but not comfortable as office setup is missing.

My job actually gave us a work from home allowance.  As I was already working from home, I just upgraded my setup with a nice new monitor, and a very nice chair.  I've never had a $500 chair before... I've always been of the opinion that a more expensive chair is just a luxury, even though I sit much of the day (depending on how much I use my standing station).  I see the allure now.

https://www.steelcas.../steelcase-series-1/

Now I'm wondering what the even more expensive chairs offer...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 09:33 AM »
When I told people I got food stamps they asked how much I got a month.  When I said $16 they laughed.  But with the pandemic they boosted everyone to the max allotment.  From March to September that was $194 for single head of household.  This month it was bumped up to $204.

This has allowed me to enjoy some desserts and other goodies on occasion without breaking the bank.  Also the stimulus check helped a bit.  Additionally trains and buses in Miami are free during the emergency.  On the downside water fountains are disabled everywhere.  If I am thirsty I shell out for Evian low sodium.  Good thing I have the temporary food stamp increase.   :Thmbsup:

The big bummer for me is not being able to buy a hot meal and sit down to eat it.  Everything is to go.  No fun finding someplace to eat in the rain.  Some of the Starbucks have a couple of seats inside.  But for the most part the seating consists of tiny square tables under umbrellas outside.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 04:50 PM »
Less people around ... but unfortunately the good times are coming to an end as we get closer to exiting Stage 4 lockdown.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 09:38 AM »
Less people around ... but unfortunately the good times are coming to an end as we get closer to exiting Stage 4 lockdown.

My worry is as soon as they stop paying mortgages for people it will create a surge of new and clueless homeless on the streets.  I envisage them crawling over each other like ants.   :down:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 10:22 AM »

My worry is as soon as they stop paying mortgages for people it will create a surge of new and clueless homeless on the streets.  I envisage them crawling over each other like ants.   :down:

They've already found a way to start evicting people for apartments.  A realtor that I knew said that they were expecting inventory to increase significantly once the allowances that people were given during the pandemic started to expire (i.e. people to get foreclosed on).  However, it appears that people are trying to get ahead of the wave- inventory is actually increasing now because people are trying to sell before the allowances expire.

On another note, during the start of the quarantines, the IRS told people that they could borrow from their 401k and defer payments for a year.  New guidance has shortened that to January.  Nice change to policy there...  :-\

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 11:13 AM »
New hobby?
Learning more?
Developing new skills?
Better immediate family time?
Realization of long-term objectives?
Freedom to work in your underwear?

-cranioscopical (October 19, 2020, 08:14 PM)

• Yes. (Electronics)
  • Yes. (My Udemy, MasterClass, and Babel, and Curiosity Channel subscriotions are all getting a serious workout these days.)
  • Yes. (Chinese language.)
  • No. (I always prioritized family time.)
  • Sorta. (My LTOs are all on track but mostly nearing realization rather than actually having arrived, possibly because I keep adding stretch goals whenever I get close to them.)
  • Wardrobe…not so much. I kinda grew up with the admonishment to act in private as you would when in public as far as grooming, manners, and decorum went. So I get up each morning and shower, shave, and get dressed regardless. I find it’s far too easy to start losing track of time and goals if I don’t have some semblance of a daily routine.

Biggest change is I’m now devoting a lot more time to physical exercise than in the past. I manage at least 5 miles of walking daily, either outdoors or on a non-motorized treadmill. I’ve dropped 40+ lbs. of unneeded weight since January, am now close to my weight when I was in college, and feel better than I’ve felt for several years.

The pandemic has been hard on a lot of people. But I’m eternally grateful that (for me at least) I was able to approach it as an opportunity to reflect and get things in my life in better order than they were when i was juggling too many competing priorities
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:38 PM by 40hz »

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Reduced prices.
Where ?
In our country the taxes are reduced from 19% down to 16% for most things. (Tobacco and alcohol not I think)