topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Legally Buy & Download Music Easily - Is it even possible any more?  (Read 16154 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for a site where I can legally buy, and easily download music, idealy of very high quality.
(No, I dont want to pay monthly for whatever music service.)

Occasionally I buy music from Bandcamp -- it's great but most of the music I want isn't there.

So I've been using Amazon(.de) --
on PC you *can* download bought music, but on Android it's a royal pain. They really want you to pay for amazon music unlimited or whatever it's called. Their next best bet is that you only use the amazon music app to play your music. It's diffcult to download the music, it's very difficult to find it and move it. So I want to give my money to someone who caters to my needs. Amazon isn't doing that.

So, anyone know of a site where I can legally buy, and easily download music, idealy of very high quality ?
TIA for any suggestions
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Legally Buy & Download Music Easily - Is it even possible any more?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 03:45 PM »
I'm open to tips how to workaround amazons PITA experience, but would really love another, better option...
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:55 PM »
Bandcamp and Beatport are my two places.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 02:21 AM »
Beatport
that's new to me thanks
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Looking for a site where I can legally buy, and easily download music, idealy of very high quality.
(No, I dont want to pay monthly for whatever music service.)

Occasionally I buy music from Bandcamp -- it's great but most of the music I want isn't there.

So I've been using Amazon(.de) --
on PC you *can* download bought music, but on Android it's a royal pain. They really want you to pay for amazon music unlimited or whatever it's called. Their next best bet is that you only use the amazon music app to play your music. It's diffcult to download the music, it's very difficult to find it and move it. So I want to give my money to someone who caters to my needs. Amazon isn't doing that.

So, anyone know of a site where I can legally buy, and easily download music, idealy of very high quality ?
TIA for any suggestions

Spotify Premium allows you to download any track you want (ofc, if you have a subscription) and play it in offline mode.  My Mrs uses it all the time and it's honestly not that bad.  If you have any access to a student email address, you can get it for half price too (with like 6 months free), which is nice. Compared to how much you could potentially spend buying on a "per-track" basis, subscriptions may actually work out much better (a quick look on a few sites showed me that single tracks cost between £2 and £5...but Spotify costs £10/month for as many as you want lol).

There's also other subscription services such as TIDAL (Very handy if you have your own Plex setup, and works on basically every device you can think of).  I wasn't much of a fan of Amazon Music as they didn't have a lot of the music I wanted to listen to.  Google Play Music is damn decent too, and again, offers an "offline" mode where you can download all your tracks to listen to wherever you want.

So honestly, unless you want the MP3 files specifically for burning onto a CD or whatever, I'd personally say Subscription services are better in the long run.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 11:19 AM »
I know all the arguments for, Stephen, it's just not what I want. Hence this thread...
Unfortunately there's almost no alternatives (to amazon) -- and seemingly none that are better. I guess eventually they'll all want to phase out actual purchase of music so monthly payments will be the only option.
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 01:47 PM »
No experience of it and I doubt whether it's any better on Android but I thought iTunes, (or whatever it's called now), allowed you to purchase individual tracks for download?
The only problem being their software you have to use to get at it in the first place.

Other than that the only ones I know of are localised and as such have relatively small catalogues, eg. https://www.zdigital.com.au/

Which is the Australia site of 7digital, eg. https://de.7digital.com/ (you need to shop your local site).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 02:52 PM »
Thanks 4wd, de.7digital.com has some nice stuff too -- every bit helps.
Amazon does allow you to buy tracks/albums and download, but (especially on android / as opposed to on PC) they do steer you towards not downloading, and having to use their music app. I can and will continue to workaround these factors. Was just hoping there might be something better/easier.

Illegally downloading is probably a much better experience :-/
But I'll stick with paying...
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 04:33 PM »
Thanks 4wd, de.7digital.com has some nice stuff too -- every bit helps.
Amazon does allow you to buy tracks/albums and download, but (especially on android / as opposed to on PC) they do steer you towards not downloading, and having to use their music app. I can and will continue to workaround these factors. Was just hoping there might be something better/easier.

Buy the track from Amazon...download a rip from YouTube...you bought a copy anyway so it should be covered under "fair use".

Bit of an ass ache to do it that way but if you want the artist to get some money for your download...gives you a way to do it a bit easier ^_^

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 04:54 PM »
Buy the track from Amazon...download a rip from YouTube...you bought a copy anyway so it should be covered under "fair use".
thanks Stephen,
with Amazon I can download on PC -- I can also set amazon music android app to auto-download, it's just they hide the music and make it difficult for me get to it so as I can play it with something other than the amazon music app. I've done it before and can figure out how to do it again (must record it this time...). So that's doable. Quality is amazon mp3.

I'm not a seriously hifi kind of guy, but I still like being able to rip my CD's to top quality files. And dislike paying for such a pita service that amazon offers. These days I find more and more music that is only available digitally cause it new, or no longer available as CD. So, I may be dragged kicking and screaming into the 'truly' digital age (paying monthly), but I'm quite not there yet ;-)
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 05:39 PM »

So, I may be dragged kicking and screaming into the 'truly' digital age (paying monthly), but I'm quite not there yet ;-)

Not entirely sure on the legalities, but maybe it would be easier to buy the track you want and then just torrent a high-quality version of the track to use as you wish? (If you're bothered about legalities, then you should probably check that haha).

As for the digital age stuff - HMV (A huge music store here in the UK) just announced a lot of physical store closures owing to 50% the fact people mainly stream now (especially here in the UK where unlimited 4/5G is pretty cheap (I pay £10/month for unlimited everything including tethering), and 50% because business rates just wipe out most of their profits and they can't afford to keep stores open with so few customers now.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 05:41 PM »
I also found this on Google...dunno if they have what you want though (either the track choices or quality..or price): https://mp3caprice.com

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 03:37 AM »
I also found this on Google...dunno if they have what you want though (either the track choices or quality..or price): https://mp3caprice.com
@ an average of $1.50 per album, I suspect it's not legit
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 12:00 PM »
Not entirely sure on the legalities, but maybe it would be easier to buy the track you want and then just torrent a high-quality version of the track to use as you wish? (If you're bothered about legalities, then you should probably check that haha).

Just because it might be legal, finding the torrent can be fraught with other problems, not least of these is the fact that others don't know that it's legal, and dealing with lawyers if you're unfortunate enough to be caught up in something related to downloading the torrent isn't the most pleasant thing.

(Oh, I wasn't pirating.  I was just downloading an archive track of something that I purchased off of X store...)

Yeah... I know I wouldn't use that as an alternative.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 12:11 PM »
@ an average of $1.50 per album, I suspect it's not legit

From their "Terms":

9. Legal Aspects
9.1. All titles and soundtracks are posted on the mp3caprice.com Website under relevant agreements with entities involved with collective management of copyright and related rights.

--

Of course, anybody could type those words and it not be true, but it seems possible to be legitimate and after a (albeit quick) search around, I can't find anything to really suggest they aren't legitimate tbh.  I'd never heard of them before yesterday, however, but that is more likely because I've never wanted to buy single tracks or albums online lol.  Even my favourite bands don't usually have more than a few tracks on an album that I actually enjoy so I usually just stream.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 03:20 PM »
Curious if you ever found somewhere to get your music from xD

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 05:02 PM »
Curious if you ever found somewhere to get your music from xD
no,
I think this thread was my last gasp.
The site you suggested is pretty clearly illegally selling music. If you buy there you're not illegally downloading, but that's not what I want either. Years ago, I decided there's enough free goodies (and affordable alternatives) on the internet to not have to download illegal software. I feel the same way about music. Also, I like the physicality of a CD (sure, records were better), I like the limitation of CD's, especially with driving, surrounded by the music, I'll listen to an album again and again. Either I'm lucky or I've chosen carefully, but most of the albums I've bought in the last year I've listened to again and again and again. Auto-replay or whatever they call it.

As said, I know I'm going to have to move to digital at some stage -- well, it's starting already, but without any good resolution to this thread, I'll hold out another while ;-)
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 09:40 PM »
I mentioned it back here but you didn't reference it specifically.

So I'll mention it again, AFAIAA iTunes, (not Apple Music - the streaming service), allows you to purchase albums/individual tracks that you can download and are DRM free - downside being you have to use ITunes software (or whatever they call it now) on your PC to purchase/download like Amazon.

Some internet search results, some you may already know about but doesn't hurt to mention them.
Jamendo - Independent artists - Generally free streaming, free download (MP3), purchase a licence for commercial use (HQ audio file).
Bleep - Independent artists - Physical and digital music for purchase (320kbps MP3 | 16bit LL WAV/FLAC).
CDBaby - Independent artists - Digital music for purchase (all 320kbps MP3).

Other sources that are DRM free:
Games (Steam, GOG, etc) - I have a few games that included OST albums as part of the game or DLCs, (eg. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl).
Bundle sites (Humble Bundle, Groupees, etc) - I've purchased bundles of a variety of different music genres whether they were something I was interested in or part of a humanitarian type deal, (eg. 2017 Mexican earthquake, Cryo Chamber bundle).
Archive.org - Music (mixed bag, browse the categories), Concerts.
FreeMusicArchive - Free and Royalty Free music, recently acquired by Tribe of Noise.
FreeGal - Offered by some library services, (here in Australia at least), allows MP3 downloads and transfer to other devices, also streaming apps for your phone, (Android, iOS). Essentially free as long as you have library membership.

NOTE: The only ones I've used are Steam, GOG, Groupees, and Archive.org - no personal endorsement of any of them ... but I have just noticed a couple more bundles on Groupees that look interesting ... oh well, down goes the PayPal balance ...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 11:59 PM »
I don't know if this is the case outside of the USA, but buying a CD from Amazon is a pretty good choice. You get the CD which you can rip FLAC files from if you'd like, but you also get immediate access to the album digitally in the form of MP3 files while you wait for your CD to arrive.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 04:54 AM »
I mentioned it back here but you didn't reference it specifically.

So I'll mention it again, AFAIAA iTunes, (not Apple Music - the streaming service), allows you to purchase albums/individual tracks that you can download and are DRM free - downside being you have to use ITunes software (or whatever they call it now) on your PC to purchase/download like Amazon.
yeah (sorry didnt get back to you on that 4wd) --
I'm presuming this is similar to the amazon model. I know that itunes formerly saved all files with unrecognisable names and tried to make it as difficult as possible to export. I'm presuming they havent gotten much better that way, in spite of now having drm free music. Amazon has a similar model [on android] -- I will live with it (rather than risk installing itunes) and just have to figure out a workflow for getting those files where I want them (accessible to other apps on android) and stick with it. As said above, it was doable, they do make it difficult on android, so may do it on pc and transfer -- doing that isn't the problem -- I was (1) just hoping there would be a more user friendly version (2) wanting to express my dissatisfaction by buying elsewhere.
(PS deozaan I think this answers your question as well)

Those other links are good 4wd. I familiar with some:
I have bought from bandcamp and cdbaby, most of the music I want to buy though is older and (or) simply not available there.
I have gotten some great finds on archive.org -- some concerts from the seventies; gigabytes of older traditional irish music. (On a side note I tend to get overwhelmed when I get so much music at one time -- then the ideal way of listening is probably shuffle or similar rather than the album model.)

Thanks all for the suggestions :Thmbsup:
Tom
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:21 AM by tomos, Reason: clarity, hopefully »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 11:10 AM »
FWIW for anyone else wanting to own their music (on android) bought with amazon music:

I have the amazon app installed *and* the amazon music app. I think they forced me or tricked me at some stage to install their music app. You may be better off without this -- I dont know. In the amazon music app, initially at least, they keep steering you towards amazon music or unlimited or whatever they call their music service.
There's a setting in the music app "Automatic downloads" which once ticked will download your purchases to the following path:
/Android/media/com.amazon.mp3
in my case it's on the SD card -- YMMV
The music will download, in my experience though it can take a long time after purchase before it actually shows locally in the com.amazon.mp3 folder.

Next problem is they chuck all the files you buy in the same folder -- no sub-directories. You might have ten files from ten different albums all starting
01 - [tracknamehere].mp3

I installed X-plore, an android file manager recommended by Tuxman. It's sort of a two pane manager, with one pane pinned on the side. If you copy/move from one pane, the destination will automatically be the other pane.

On this side, the default amazon directory (unfortunately took the screenshot after relocating everything from the folder)
Screenshot_20200121-170622.pngLegally Buy & Download Music Easily - Is it even possible any more?
Pressing the arrow on the top-left corner with show the other pane:
Screenshot_20200121-173343.pngLegally Buy & Download Music Easily - Is it even possible any more?
On this side, the path is Music/Linda Ronstadt/Live at etc. showing music I have moved from the amazon folder.

So, my relocating is done, for now. Next step clean the kitchen :P

EDIT// in retrospect, it's not that difficult once you have a good file manager app to 'reclaim' the music -- but the whole experience (also with the music app constantly steering me away from my bought music) just pissed me off so I tried to find an alternative....
Tom
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 02:14 PM by tomos »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 06:28 PM »
a nifty solution that i just found out about, that i have tried the past week and works very smoothly....
instead of actually storing the files on your mobile device, you can stream it from your own computer, but you have to install something called Airsonic.  then, for android, you use the app D-sub to play the music.  It works very well.  The Airsonic install on windows is a tad challenging, but other than that, all good.

now, you might ask, why not use other easier streaming locally solutions like plex or emby?  because they are not as good, as in, so many playback issues and buffering problems and flat out connection problems.  this airsonic/dsub thing is extremely reliable.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 06:31 PM »
i noticed my reply was somewhat off topic as to how to get high quality music.
my preferred way is to buy used cd's and rip them losslessly to my computer.  otherwise you probably have to spend around $10 minimum for the music (per album). 

also, i don't know how legal they are, but there are a lot of nice old vinyl rips out there of things not readily available on modern formats.  i wonder if those are safe to download.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 11:41 AM »
I installed X-plore, an android file manager recommended by Tuxman.
A sound recommendation - that's my default one on Android.

It's sort of a two pane manager, with one pane pinned on the side. If you copy/move from one pane, the destination will automatically be the other pane.
[...]
Pressing the arrow on the top-left corner with show the other pane:

Have you enabled automatic screen rotation (or whatever its called) on your device - i.e., when you turn your phone/tablet from vertical (portrait) format to horizontal (landscape) format, it turns the text to match?  If you do, you'd see X-plore present itself in the usual Norton Commander-style two-pane clarity.  This 'one pane in vertical format, two panes in horizontal format' behaviour seems not uncommon in Android two-pane file managers, at least, Ghost Commander and Solid Explorer both do it.  Total Commander is slightly different.  It defaults to the same scheme, but there's a configuration option to force two panes even in vertical format.  In that case, they're very narrow, of course.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 02:15 PM »
Have you enabled automatic screen rotation (or whatever its called) on your device - i.e., when you turn your phone/tablet from vertical (portrait) format to horizontal (landscape) format, it turns the text to match?  If you do, you'd see X-plore present itself in the usual Norton Commander-style two-pane clarity.
no, I didnt know that -- I usually use portrait and didnt think on this occasion to rotate. Thanks for the tips rj :up:

there are a lot of nice old vinyl rips out there of things not readily available on modern formats.  i wonder if those are safe to download.
FWIW vinyl rips are often the best quality music videos on youtube. I have downloaded vinyl rips of The Smiths (not from YT, but linked from there) -- presumably illegal to do (not only) cause the music still available to purchase... Yeah, safety is another issue....
Tom