topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: April Fools!  (Read 2875 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
April Fools!
« on: April 01, 2022, 01:50 AM »
Hey all,

This is just a reminder that it's April 1st, so there will likely be a lot of headlines, announcements, emails, etc., that you shouldn't believe. If something seems off about something you read, keep this in mind.

I'm mentioning it here because I got a silly email from Windscribe VPN saying they were bought out. But it came in the early afternoon on March 31 my local time, so I didn't realize for a while that it was an April Fools joke, and I was really puzzled. I thought this kind of thing from soulless corporations was "cute" and fun ~15 years ago because it made them seem like they were more friendly and had a personality, but I've really grown annoyed by it over the years. I don't want corporations to have a personality. I don't want to be "friends" with a company. I just want them to provide the service they say they provide and otherwise stay out of my way.

But that's just me being a curmudgeon, I suppose.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: April Fools!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 09:28 AM »
I hate that April Fools is a thing. I hate even more that it's become something that companies buy into.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 08:59 AM »
I hate that April Fools is a thing. I hate even more that it's become something that companies buy into.

I read Google news feed on my phone just because it is there.  Every day there are items that could be candidates for an April Fools story.  I am in Miami-Dade County in FL.  Any news item for Polk County either an off duty cop kills someone or murderers escape from prison or similar.  Seems like nobody in Polk County ever does anything sane.   :)  In Massachusetts I worked with two brothers who lived in Brockton MA.  They complained that any news story not about Rocky Marciano or Marvin Hagler was negative.  Escaped murderer, drive by shooting etc..  On Amazon Prime Video there is a funny film called Wayne.  The lead roles were teens who lived in Brockton.  True to my coworkers' complaints, all the houses were run down, lawns unkempt etc.

I wonder if the Tom Brady/Bruce Arians fued is just an April Fools story sometimes.   :)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 05:18 AM »
Hey all,

This is just a reminder that it's April 1st, so there will likely be a lot of headlines, announcements, emails, etc., that you shouldn't believe. If something seems off about something you read, keep this in mind.

I'm mentioning it here because I got a silly email from Windscribe VPN saying they were bought out. But it came in the early afternoon on March 31 my local time, so I didn't realize for a while that it was an April Fools joke, and I was really puzzled. I thought this kind of thing from soulless corporations was "cute" and fun ~15 years ago because it made them seem like they were more friendly and had a personality, but I've really grown annoyed by it over the years. I don't want corporations to have a personality. I don't want to be "friends" with a company. I just want them to provide the service they say they provide and otherwise stay out of my way.

But that's just me being a curmudgeon, I suppose.
Apply a heart where is not is pure neoliberalism.
I agree with you.
 :-* :P