topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Mouser's Media Browser v2 - Dec 30, 2019  (Read 39165 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mouser's Media Browser v1.11.01 - Dec 14, 2019 beta
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2019, 07:27 PM »
I have browsed many folders containing image files and 'GoTo' menu is always inaccessible (Windows 8 here).
Oh! Maybe that's a bug then.. it should add each folder each time you go to a new one.. Maybe I need to reimplement that menu.

Yes, the thumbnails become very big. The only workaround I could find to restore the thumbnails size was to delete settings file ('MousersMediaBrowser.ini').
When I tried to reproduce it was just changing the size of the region.. you can drag it back to its normal size which will resize the thumbnails..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2019, 10:58 PM »
Can anyone else on Windows 10 let me know if the GoTo menu autopopulates with folders as you change your root folder, and exit and restart?  Trying to figure out if I need to rewrite that code.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Win 10 1809 GoTo remains inaccessible

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2019, 04:08 AM »
Goto menu populates as expected on my win 10 1903

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Can those who weren't seeing GoTo menu populate try the new beta.  It uses a new system.  You can also now manually edit the GoTo list in the options (it will also auto populate it as you open new BASE folders).

Download beta:

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2019, 10:28 PM »
No change.

When I manually add a folder it is remembered and I can use the GoTo to choose that folder.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2019, 10:36 PM »
When I manually add a folder it is remembered and I can use the GoTo to choose that folder.

Might be a misunderstanding of how that menu is supposed to work.

Can you describe the action you take that is NOT adding an entry when you think it should?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2019, 10:41 PM »
If I don't manually add anything the GoTo menus does nothing, clicking it there is nothing. This of course after navigating through various folders and clicking on GoTo everytime.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2019, 10:48 PM »
To be clear, items only get added to the GoTo menu when you set them as your BASE/ROOT folder.. They don't get added as you click on subfolders in the tree.
That's by design -- they are only used for switching between your favorite BASE/ROOT folders.

So it sounds like maybe it's working as designed for you?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mouser's Media Browser v2 - Dec 30, 2019
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Ok I've pushed out an official v2 release of Mousers Media Browser.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2020, 01:27 PM »
Currently using this to try and dig out some photos from a folder with a couple of thousand images (copied from phone).

Still loving the virtual hierarchy (which is why I'm using it in above scenario).

Doubleclick thumbnail (I'm in grid view) opens file in default app -- normally pressing Enter key on focused file would do the same, but it doesnt here. Could that be arranged :-) ?

Re font size: still finding the font size in Options too small (compare with e.g. SC options). Also font size of the virtual hierarchy is very small.
Relevant info/settings:
15.6" FHD screen / Font scaling @ 125% (default)
Windows 7
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2020, 03:47 PM »
Glad to hear someone is using it!

Pressing Enter to open an image like double clicking seems natural -- I'll add it.

Can you take a screenshot showing the small fonts?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Can you take a screenshot showing the small fonts?

See this post for screenshot of options

Note the text [in Options] is very small:
FHD screen (1920 x 1080)
Text etc. is @ 125% (default)

Here SC options on the left -- not a big difference but SC is near my limit (but good), the other is a strain

EDIT// for some reason that screenshot shows (here in my browser) a lot bigger that the actual size of those dialogues here. But at least the comparision is helpful

and here the Virtual Hierarchy, again with SC options for comparision (compare also with menu text at top of image)

Screenshot - 2020-06-24 , 00_11_03.jpgMouser's Media Browser v2 - Dec 30, 2019
Tom

cdncanoer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2021, 08:34 PM »
"Bug" 
The "Discuss on forum" link
on the software page https://www.donation...ousers-media-browser
Leads to the old discussion page https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=42114.0
instead of this current one https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=49204

cdncanoer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2021, 09:03 PM »
Feature ideas:
(1) Enable wildcards in the name filter
(2) Partial Filename List (that would be used by the user to select a filter): To provide insight into what's in the folder, provide a filename list configurable by the user ex. "AAAAA" would show the list of all of the the different combinations of 5 letter prefixes used in the directory.  In your video example, you would then see that you have files that start with the word "Deck" and others with "School" and this would help remind the user what is there and what keywords to filter on to find the desired photos.  Might have a drop-down to search/list "First x characters", "First x letters", "Last x characters", "Last x letters"  Or some amazing AI that can find word patterns and list them.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2021, 09:23 PM »
you should use this opportunity to blow away acdsee.  I've spent much time on these photo viewers, and there is an opportunity here.  I will try this and maybe offer some good feedback.

if you are trying to navigate and view a ton of photos and images, acdsee is the way to go.  Other things like lightroom and stuff are for photographers and are not recommended for just browsing, like this and acdsee.  And even acdsee has had a lot of feature creep.

Acdsee is slow though.  Everything is just kind of sluggish.  That's the only problem really.

Another area that needs improvement is what they call Digital Asset Management.  Basically, a server-client (usually through a web service) application for managing your images.  But again, most of these are so professionally oriented and they suck for browsing.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2021, 03:41 PM »
you should use this opportunity to blow away acdsee.
As I read the OP, it isn't intended for that, but as a fast convenient helper for other programs.  I really like the virtual folders by date, and it's commendably fast.  Mouser's Media Browser has some useful features, but I find it odd that you access them from the thumbnail, rather than the larger image.  Also it calls Windows File Explorer, which is never going to be my favourite file manager.  It would be nice if it could pass the file name+path to whatever file manager (FM) you specified.  Failing that, a very useful feature in Faststone Image Viewer is the ability to press [C] for [Copy an image], and have it pop up a dialog of target directories, see screenshot.  That cuts out a lot of the need for an FM.

Acdsee is slow though.  Everything is just kind of sluggish.
Don't overlook that WinCatalog can catalogue image files and store thumbnails.  It's pretty quick at indexing and very fast at displaying and browsing, though again it calls Windows File Manager for file management functions.  The database can be quite large.

FIV_copy.jpgMouser's Media Browser v2 - Dec 30, 2019

markfoley

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2023, 12:46 AM »
Hi, sorry for replying for the first time but this seems to be the thread for the browser.

It's really useful for browsing the autoscreenshotter pics.  I lost some work in an online app, and used this to get a screenshot of it to restore it.  Awesome!

The browser is useful for kind of zooming through your day in fast forward.  However, if I hold down a cursor key to zip through, I want to see something along the lines of a timelapse in the main image window.  Instead, it (for very sensible optimisation reasons) only renders one every so many thumbnails, because the selected thumbnail kind of runs ahead of the big window's ability to render.

My request would be an option along the lines of 'repaint full image every thumbnail navigation'.  Even better would be the ability to hit a little 'play forward' and 'play backwards' button with a speed slider, so you can scan through your day to find where you wrote that email or did whatever.

Thanks for listening!