topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR vs LISTARY  (Read 6986 times)

Hilario

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR vs LISTARY
« on: June 15, 2018, 04:52 AM »
Hello Mouser.
First of all thanks for your very usefull tools.
I have been using CHS and FARR for some years and they are always running.
I am sure I miss some functionalities because they have so many.
Would be very interresting to get more "training" or "usage cases".

Any way, I am contacting you because I have seen a tool that make me think of leaving FARR
this is LISTARY.
And I think this can be because I don't know how to use FARR to do the things I find so interresting with LISTARY.

1- LISTARY integrate directly into window explorer. That means when I type some letters in the explorer, automatically LISTARY take the control and look for what I am searching.
2- Many times I am in a program and I want to store or open a file. In general I have to navigate through directories to find the place. With LISTARY, if I have the directory open in another windows, just cliking CTRL+Q and the path is transfer to the search windows and I get the file straight forward.

I use so many times these two options that at the end I am using LISTARY instead FARR.
But I have read some collegues they seams to be using both together (I am not sure how and why)
Just would like to know more about others experiences and comments on this subject.
Thanks for sharing

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR vs LISTARY
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Welcome to the site Hilario -- I apologize for the delayed reply. I was hoping someone else would post a reply before me :)

There is nothing wrong with using both programs or using the one that works best for you.  In general, FARR is much more focused on launching applications, and performing actions, and less focused on finding document files.

I'm trying to remember if anyone has written a plugin for FARR to open it and have it start showing the contents of the directory that was open in the windows file explorer window.. It's not a terrible idea.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 04:49 AM »
1- LISTARY integrate directly into window explorer. That means when I type some letters in the explorer, automatically LISTARY take the control and look for what I am searching.

How is that different from Explorer's built in hotkey Ctrl+F to filter search in the active folder?

2- Many times I am in a program and I want to store or open a file. In general I have to navigate through directories to find the place. With LISTARY, if I have the directory open in another windows, just cliking CTRL+Q and the path is transfer to the search windows and I get the file straight forward.

Do you mean that if you have an Explorer window for e.g. C:\folder open and then start a File Open window in some other application then Listary's Ctrl+Q hotkey will browse to C:\folder in the File Open window? That should be fairly easy to do through an Autohotkey script.

Hilario

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 05:37 AM »
Thank you Mouser ADN Nod5 for your answers and proactive actions.
Yes I like the way FARR inprove the puntuation for the programs in order to put upper in the list.
Good idea the plugin option . Hope we can find something.
But I am not sure the behaviour you tell is the one described in the SYNC option in Listary. Hope I can check if anybody find one.
Here you can see how it works hope you can do something ;-)

https://youtu.be/9T9-OtRVeUw

About the search function
You are right. It is a type of CTRL+F behaviour
except that there are many functions preprogramed easily accesible (probably someone could macro them on FARR)
For example when the file is found, one click to store the path or the folder path.

I know many of your members are good programers but the basic users, we have difficulties to customize your multifunction tools.
Thanks very much

Regards

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 06:14 AM »
I use both FARR and Listary -- but both in a very basic manner so was slow to post here. (Listary had problems in the past interfacing with Dopus, so I disabled a lot of features / shortcuts. I know it got updated but I never did get to getting-to-know it better after that. FARR I had first.)

FWIW will describe:

FARR I use to
  • launch exe's
  • search most recent files (with a plugin)
  • as a calculator (again a plugin -- it saves all calculations when return is pressed)
You can bump an entry towards the top of the list -- or remove an entry from list.
It can save recently ran exe's towards the top of the list.
I can easily add keyword for an app e.g. FF for Firefox etc.

Listary I use mainly in open/save dialogues
favourite folders / most recent folders / but also if I focus in the file manager and AltTab to open/save dialogue, the dialogue will show the location shown in file manager (not sure if that's what you're describing above with Ctrl+Q).

I've learned a bit about Listary from your posts. Re FARR, I would recommend looking at the FARR forum board to get an idea of how it can be used. Seems to me it can be used to do almost anything :-) but does have a different approach & focus to Listary.

Mouser have you FARR videos?
Re videos: I was looking for videos for SC or CHS lately and couldnt find them either -- could you add links to the relevant software pages?
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Listary had problems in the past interfacing with Dopus, so I disabled a lot of features / shortcuts. I know it got updated but I never did get to getting-to-know it better after that. FARR I had first.

The same reason I'm not currently using it.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 05:05 AM »
https://youtu.be/9T9-OtRVeUw
Ok, that was how I guessed it would work. That is not the kind of thing that launcher applications like FARR tend to do. But still a neat feature. I think that kind of sync between File Open and Explorer could be done with AutoHotkey pretty easily. It could probably be done as a Coding Snack or as a small NANY tool.

It is a type of CTRL+F behaviour except that there are many functions preprogramed easily accesible (probably someone could macro them on FARR)
For example when the file is found, one click to store the path or the folder path.
Right. Seems quite useful. But since FARR has other great functionalities, like the powerful and customizable alias system, I don't really see a problem with simply using both side by side.

Hilario

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 03:48 AM »
This exactly what I end doing.
Using both side by side. That's fine, and I haven't find any conflict.
Thanks all for the comments. ;-)