topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: will Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?  (Read 10614 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
will Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?
« on: April 08, 2017, 03:30 PM »
I was given a PC, to replace the laptop. This means I can use the "old" monitor I have, but never before have used. My problem is that it is 1920x1080 pixels, and my new Windows 10 does not offer this option! So far I have it set to 1600x1200, but that is not looking good  :(

Udklip.GIF

Surely this must be some kind of error?
 :tellme:

Help needed, please!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: will Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 03:45 PM »
I cant think of why windows 10 wouldnt offer you that option.. Are you sure it's seeing the right monitor (and not the built-in one) when it gives you those choices?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 04:43 PM »
Curt, does the machine have a video card?
Is the driver up-to-date? (if so maybe it needs an older driver :-[)

EDIT//
or maybe uninstall the driver and start again - but not being the expert, I dont know whether to recommend letting windows find the driver, or trying to find it yourself...
Tom
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:51 PM by tomos »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Mine is currently at 1920 x 1080, so it's not Windows 10.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Of course internet has every query but strange to see more than a few when googling for that resolution and Win10. Example https://www.tenforum...ng-windows-10-a.html http://www.tomshardw...20x1080-windows.html

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 07:40 PM »
The generic Windows video driver software that Windows falls back upon when it doesn't recognize the capabilities of either your monitor or video card...isn't very fond of the 1920x1080 resolution. But this was already happening in Windows 7 and XP.

In my anecdotal experience the consumer versions of Windows have a slightly "smarter" generic video driver than Windows Server versions. Still, I haven't seen this type of automagic mis-configuration for quite some time. Installing the proper drivers for your video card and/or monitor(s) will help Windows to correctly identify the native resolution of your monitor. Old and/or cheap brand monitors would not always "tell" Windows their native resolution, hence it is not shown as a select-able option.

With software like SIW you can quickly find out the type and model of the video card in your computer, which allows you to download the correct driver from its manufacturer.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 08:57 PM »
You need an .INF file to identify your monitor's properties to the video driver.

This information from Intel explains the problem and what to do about it.

If you can't get the correct .INF file from the maker of your monitor, there are a number of generic ones easily found online, or you can write your own. 

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 02:29 AM »
@curt, sharing the make & model of your monitor and videoadapter might help us find any (if any) known quirks with this combo

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 08:20 AM »
This was just on ghacks today, maybe of use:
http://www.ghacks.ne...utility-for-windows/

"Custom Resolution Utility is a free portable program for Microsoft Windows devices that enables you to add custom display resolutions."

custom-resolution-utility.png

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 10:38 AM »
@curt, sharing the make & model of your monitor and videoadapter might help us find any (if any) known quirks with this combo

You can use DumpEDID to get this information also.

http://www.nirsoft.n...utils/dump_edid.html

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 07:59 AM »
I am sorry that I haven't been back to this thread a lot sooner.

Due to Easter the relevant shops around 'here' are closed, so for the moment I am unable to prove my conclusion, which is:
The problem is not inside the computer or inside the monitor, but outside! Yes, the problem is the cable between the pc and the monitor.

I am using the only cable I had that would fit the eh.. fitting, and it took me a long time (several days) to realize it merely is a so-called VGA cable, instead of a proper DVI cable. VGA doesn't do high definition, DVI will at least do the necessary 1920x1080.

With all relevant shops being closed for Easter, I have ordered a DVI cable to be delivered by snail-mail.

VGA (blue) and DVI (white):

vagdvi.jpgwill Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?
- these kind of cables will only transfer video, not audio.

Info:
monitor: Viseo243D by Acer / packard bell, 24" / 61cm, 1920x1080 pixels. Made in 2014. Not Plug&Play. No loudspeakers.

"New" desktop tower: Gigabyte Technology, homemade 10 years ago: 2007.
64-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo. CPU: 6700 @ 2.66GHz, Intel P35C
Memory: DDR2. 8191MB=8GB RAM. However, SIW is reporting this to be wrong, incomplete values => sockets: 4x1024=4GB RAM. But every time I start the computer, the black&white loading page will say 8GB. I witnessed the technician try a lot of different memory sticks, before the PC would accept the 4x2GB solution.
No HDMI
Disk C: 1.8 TB
Disk D: 18GB

Windows Experience Index:
CPU score: 5.80, Memory score: 5.8, Graphics score: 2.0 (hence this thread!), D3D score: 9.9, Disk score: 5.9
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:28 PM by Curt, Reason: pic+wei »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 08:40 AM »
That makes a lot of sense.  There's also dual-DVI vs Single-DVI, and sorry I didn't see earlier your supposition, as this might or might not cause you issues.  Either 1920x1080 is the highest for single-link, or just outside the spec.  Hopefully, either you got dual link, or it's in the single link area.  I had to troubleshoot that issue for a couple of days before realizing it, so I wanted to throw that out there just in case you have that problem.

(And funny, it's the machine that I was saying I could do that resolution with that I had that problem on!  It seems like I would have remembered that frustration... sorry again.)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 07:11 PM »
ehh... "1511"

I have just purchased a license key for my "new" Windows 10 Pro. Of course I was free to also download an iso file of the Operating System installer. I have not yet installed it because I wanted to check if it was newer or older than what I already have. And this is where it begins to be weird. Because my present desktop PC's operating system is version 1511 build 10586, and on Wikipedia's "Windows 10 version history" it says that version 1511 10586 is for Mobile!

Version 1511 (November Update)
Windows 10 November Update, or Windows 10 version 1511, codenamed "Threshold 2", is the first major update to Windows 10 and the second version of the operating system. It carries the build number 10.0.10586. (...)... to existing Windows 10 users, and as a free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. Unlike the initial release of Windows, this branch was also made available to existing Windows Phone 8.1 devices and the Xbox One and as a preview release to Windows Server 2016, and was pre-installed on new Windows 10 Mobile devices. This release is supported for users of the Current Branch for Business (CBB)

• My first question for you is, if my "old" version 1511 10586 for sure also is for a normal PC?  :tellme:
  • The second is, if you most certainly will expect my "new" Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 (no "mobile" mentioned!) to update 1511 without problems?
  • My third question is, if you think I should ask the seller for a version 1703 Creators Update instead?

"Should I move this post to a Windows 10 thread?" would be a fourth question
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:46 AM by Curt, Reason: iso »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 08:35 AM »
I never understood the ^mobile^ part. But to make a long and tedious story short: Windows kept updating, and I now have version 1703 Creators Update 15063.138, and no mobile talk... So please forget my various questions in the previous post. I am however still waiting for my DVI cable to arrive.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 10:46 PM »
I am using the only cable I had that would fit the eh.. fitting, and it took me a long time (several days) to realize it merely is a so-called VGA cable, instead of a proper DVI cable. VGA doesn't do high definition, DVI will at least do the necessary 1920x1080.

VGA does do 1920x1080 and will do it on your monitor according to the Packard Bell manual, which you can get here.

The monitor is not plug & play and will not provide the proper information to Windows on its own, so you need to install a driver (.INF file) that tells Windows the capabilities of the monitor.  You can download the driver from Packard Bell's GB web site here.

That said, you will get a more stable picture using the DVI cable, which transmits a digital signal (VGA is analog), but you should still install the driver to identify the monitor to Windows.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 01:25 AM »
Manufacturers treat parts of the world differently then others. In Western-Europe, US/Canada and Japan/Korea/Australia you can take the specs from the monitor manufacturers at face value. In South America, not so much...

From the 36 active monitors here (mainly Samsung, Acer, LG and Sony) the website for their monitor models indicate that those monitors have a combination of VGA and/or DVI and/or HDMI connector. However, after unboxing I am surprised if there are any of the digital video connectors available. There is only the VGA connector. Sure, there are openings in the chassis for those digital video connectors, but th are simply not there. To add insult to injury, the VGA cable that comes with these monitors are of p.ss poor quality.

Many years ago, I had some Eizo CRT monitors and while those monitors have arrived at the great scrapyard in the sky, their VGA cables are still in use today...and have no problem with 1920x1080 resolution at all. The VGA cable that comes with monitors can barely keep up.

For me it is a necessity to have good VGA cables...so I have made some myself. Even one that is 15 meters long. That particular cable I got from a someone who works at the national phone company. Shielded and 32 wires in twisted pairs, ideal for a VGA cable of that length. The twisted pairs an shielding eliminate all interference, making it a very useful cable with the bonus of not having DRM standards build into the digital connector standards. Those standards are know to introduce problems, when the display port on the transmitting device is not using the same version of the DVI/HDMI connectors as on the device showing the image.

With those unnecessary headaches and practically unnoticeable differences in image quality, you will need to pry my good VGA cables from my cold dead hands.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 03:35 AM »
Please understand that the last week has been quite stressful to me; anything out of order is stressful ;-) My point being that I of course should have listed what measures I have tried in order to fix this weird monitor problem. To put it inaccurate but shortly: I have tried ALL the various suggestions in this thread. The .INF file from the manufacturer was last updated 2013 and was not accepted by Windows, so it didn't change a thing, and so on and on.

Only last night did I begin to understand that most of the problems were caused by the lack of activation! I tried again and again to activate the key from the laptop that I was moving from, but MS wouldn't accept it. Yesterday Windows began to say out loud so even I could understand it, that the various settings I was trying to do, wouldn't be accepted until I had activated Windows. Inside my head I expected it opposite: I wanted to be able say that this x64 Windows 10 Pro was so satisfying to me that now I wanted to also activate it! No, wrong order, MS said: Pay first, then like it - Whether you like it or not...

All this was more frustrating to me than the monitor problem. But at least I now have activated Windows.

A new problem is that our approx 250 years old post system has broken down, due to text messaging and emails instead of handwritten letters, so my cable is out there... somewhere... mailed, but not yet received.

I can see that the technician has removed the old Nvidia card and replaced it with Microsoft Basic:

SpeccyGraphics.jpgwill Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?

--------------
Modified:
quote from YouTube: "this is a video explaining why you can't update your older nvidia card - and what you can do to fix being stuck with Microsoft Basic Display Driver - and still use your windows 10 OS."

Hmm... what I think I understand is: My graphics card from Nvidia didn't comply with Win 10, so the installer (not "the technician") replaced Nvidia with MS Basic! So now I need a new graphics card? :tellme: That will take more than my two cents!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:52 PM by Curt, Reason: Whether, not weather »

Mikekolly

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Thanks @xtabber for you short but excellent solution because i am also facing the same problem of my monitor acceptability to my windows! :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Thank you, all of you guys.

It made no positive difference to mount a DVI cable instead of the VGA cable. I tried and it all got even worse! I have now ordered a graphics card instead: Nvidia Asus GeForce 710-2-SL or something. It won because it's fairly affordable and the box is stamped "Windows 10 compatible". Like that!

ASU7102SL.jpgwill Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:25 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Finally I am posting from my new old computer which is connected to this 1920x1080 pixels monitor screen, and all is looking good.

Forgive me for not sounding more happy, but the technician and I misunderstood each other more than I could imagine was possible: After mounting the GeForce 710-2, as planned he also installed a Solid State Drive as my new C: drive. But then he deleted everything from my old C: hard drive, without first copying / moving / keeping anything => absolutely not according to plan! I now have a strong but empty computer.

1920x1080recommended.pngwill Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:53 PM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 03:34 PM »
the technician and I misunderstood each other more than I could imagine was possible: After mounting the GeForce 710-2, as planned he also installed a Solid State Drive as my new C: drive. But then he deleted everything from my old C: hard drive, without first copying / moving / keeping anything => absolutely not according to plan! I now have a strong but empty computer.

ouch!
that was really bad . . .
[hope you didnt lose too much or any really important stuff]
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 04:46 PM »
thank you for the empathy, tomos.

I have more than 95% in doublet.

However, because of the chock, I didn't notice until a couple of hours ago that the operating system now is "Home", and the Microsoft robot refuses to re-accept the 'Pro' key that I activated a week ago. I have not had any chance to de-activate it, because I didn't imagine it would be necessary, and even if I had known, I don't know how to de-activate a Microsoft Windows key; I merely assume one can do it.

Modified:
------------

Better rating, but still not great.

ChrisPC,WEI.pngwill Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?

I realize the 9.9 is of no interest: >"We no longer run the D3D test. Returned scores and metrics are hardcoded sentinel values.">NoD3DTestRun

You can run this WEI test yourself: "Open an administrative command prompt and type winsat formal -v -xml c:\winstatresults.xml.  This will run the full formal test".
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:30 AM by Curt, Reason: WEI rate »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 04:49 PM »
regarding information about the system, I really like this small nfo file:

SystemInformation.nfo.zip, 64kb zipped, 1.38 MB unpacked (1.451.502 byte)