ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

will Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Curt:
I am sorry that I haven't been back to this thread a lot sooner.

Due to Easter the relevant shops around 'here' are closed, so for the moment I am unable to prove my conclusion, which is:
The problem is not inside the computer or inside the monitor, but outside! Yes, the problem is the cable between the pc and the monitor.

I am using the only cable I had that would fit the eh.. fitting, and it took me a long time (several days) to realize it merely is a so-called VGA cable, instead of a proper DVI cable. VGA doesn't do high definition, DVI will at least do the necessary 1920x1080.

With all relevant shops being closed for Easter, I have ordered a DVI cable to be delivered by snail-mail.

VGA (blue) and DVI (white):

will Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?
- these kind of cables will only transfer video, not audio.

Info:
monitor: Viseo243D by Acer / packard bell, 24" / 61cm, 1920x1080 pixels. Made in 2014. Not Plug&Play. No loudspeakers.

"New" desktop tower: Gigabyte Technology, homemade 10 years ago: 2007.
64-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo. CPU: 6700 @ 2.66GHz, Intel P35C
Memory: DDR2. 8191MB=8GB RAM. However, SIW is reporting this to be wrong, incomplete values => sockets: 4x1024=4GB RAM. But every time I start the computer, the black&white loading page will say 8GB. I witnessed the technician try a lot of different memory sticks, before the PC would accept the 4x2GB solution.
No HDMI
Disk C: 1.8 TB
Disk D: 18GB

Windows Experience Index:
CPU score: 5.80, Memory score: 5.8, Graphics score: 2.0 (hence this thread!), D3D score: 9.9, Disk score: 5.9

wraith808:
That makes a lot of sense.  There's also dual-DVI vs Single-DVI, and sorry I didn't see earlier your supposition, as this might or might not cause you issues.  Either 1920x1080 is the highest for single-link, or just outside the spec.  Hopefully, either you got dual link, or it's in the single link area.  I had to troubleshoot that issue for a couple of days before realizing it, so I wanted to throw that out there just in case you have that problem.

(And funny, it's the machine that I was saying I could do that resolution with that I had that problem on!  It seems like I would have remembered that frustration... sorry again.)

Curt:
ehh... "1511"

I have just purchased a license key for my "new" Windows 10 Pro. Of course I was free to also download an iso file of the Operating System installer. I have not yet installed it because I wanted to check if it was newer or older than what I already have. And this is where it begins to be weird. Because my present desktop PC's operating system is version 1511 build 10586, and on Wikipedia's "Windows 10 version history" it says that version 1511 10586 is for Mobile!

Version 1511 (November Update)
Windows 10 November Update, or Windows 10 version 1511, codenamed "Threshold 2", is the first major update to Windows 10 and the second version of the operating system. It carries the build number 10.0.10586. (...)... to existing Windows 10 users, and as a free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. Unlike the initial release of Windows, this branch was also made available to existing Windows Phone 8.1 devices and the Xbox One and as a preview release to Windows Server 2016, and was pre-installed on new Windows 10 Mobile devices. This release is supported for users of the Current Branch for Business (CBB)
--- End quote ---

* My first question for you is, if my "old" version 1511 10586 for sure also is for a normal PC?  :tellme:
* The second is, if you most certainly will expect my "new" Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 (no "mobile" mentioned!) to update 1511 without problems?
* My third question is, if you think I should ask the seller for a version 1703 Creators Update instead?
"Should I move this post to a Windows 10 thread?" would be a fourth question

Curt:
I never understood the ^mobile^ part. But to make a long and tedious story short: Windows kept updating, and I now have version 1703 Creators Update 15063.138, and no mobile talk... So please forget my various questions in the previous post. I am however still waiting for my DVI cable to arrive.

xtabber:
I am using the only cable I had that would fit the eh.. fitting, and it took me a long time (several days) to realize it merely is a so-called VGA cable, instead of a proper DVI cable. VGA doesn't do high definition, DVI will at least do the necessary 1920x1080.
-Curt (April 14, 2017, 07:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

VGA does do 1920x1080 and will do it on your monitor according to the Packard Bell manual, which you can get here.

The monitor is not plug & play and will not provide the proper information to Windows on its own, so you need to install a driver (.INF file) that tells Windows the capabilities of the monitor.  You can download the driver from Packard Bell's GB web site here.

That said, you will get a more stable picture using the DVI cable, which transmits a digital signal (VGA is analog), but you should still install the driver to identify the monitor to Windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version