topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Newer password keepers/form-fillers - anyone using Dashlane or 1Password?  (Read 25177 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use KeePass, KeePassDroid, and AI RoboForm for Windows; I'm aware that lots of people like LastPass, and DC has mentions of others, e.g Password Depot.  I've recently seen references to 1Password and Dashlane, both of which seem cloud-based.  Please, does anyone have experience of these, especially compared to the ones mentioned above?

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I use KeePass on windows, but for my tablet and phone I use 1Password. My non cellular tablet can open the 1Password database and can modify it without being connected to the internet and still sync.  At least it has for me. :)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use SafeInCloud as a password keeper, but I have no idea how well it works as a form-filler since I don't use that capability.

What I like about it is that it has Windows and Android clients (as well as iOS and Chrome) and uses DropBox, Google Drive or OneDrive for synchronization so I don't have to rely on the SafeInCloud vendor for sync services.  I wish it supported SFTP so I could host the sync point myself, but having a choice among the supported offerings isn't too bad.

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i like and use Enpass. excellent multiplatform support. it does *all* of them. osx/windows/linux/andriod/ios. even blackberry!  it lets you sync through your dropbox account too.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am trying out Sticky Password as an alternative to LastPass.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I posted a message today in a different discussion that is probably relevant here as well, since it mentions both 1Password and Dashlane:
https://www.donation....msg382852#msg382852

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use KeePass, KeePassDroid, and AI RoboForm for Windows; I'm aware that lots of people like LastPass, and DC has mentions of others, e.g Password Depot.  I've recently seen references to 1Password and Dashlane, both of which seem cloud-based.  Please, does anyone have experience of these, especially compared to the ones mentioned above?

1Password is not cloud based.  You link it with Dropbox (or iCloud or over wifi), and it will sync with your dropbox account over several devices.  I like it, it's just that lastpass is more convenient, so I've been using that as of late.  But 1Password is actually better on iDevices, so ...

Haven't really tried to resolve that yet.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Dropped in to suggest this one. You can choose to either sync through the cloud or you can opt to keep syncing restricted to your WiFi network.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i like and use Enpass. excellent multiplatform support. it does *all* of them. osx/windows/linux/andriod/ios. even blackberry!  it lets you sync through your dropbox account too.

This one looked interesting, but I really hate web sites that talk about paying for their product & they never mention a price.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

This one looked interesting, but I really hate web sites that talk about paying for their product & they never mention a price.

they have it well hidden - but if you click on e.g. the Android or iPhone links bottom of page - both of those are $9.99 for a lifetime license
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
they have it well hidden - but if you click on e.g. the Android or iPhone links bottom of page - both of those are $9.99 for a lifetime license

Well, that's most certainly a reasonable price, especially since that purchase goes through the Play Store and I have credit rewards sitting there doing nothing. I decided to check it out.

The Good:
- Enpass will import your data from no less than 19 different password managers.
- Watching the 'How it works' video for the Android app shows a lot of care and power went into it.
- Sync devices with a folder or an ownCloud setup. Keep your data on your equipment if you wish.
- Names and number of categories for data is extremely customizable.
- A version for nearly OS imaginable.

The Bad:
- Mandatory provision of your email address in order to obtain a download link for the Windows PC version.
- No browser integration or auto-fill on the Windows PC version.

The Indifferent:
The developer is based out of India. That doesn't matter to me (hence, the indifference), but I mention it here as some people are sensitive about where their security software comes from.

Conclusion:
If this were the mid 00's, I wouldn't be concerned too much about auto-fill browser integration, but it's 2015. If you want to compete in the for-pay space, it's a feature that is a must-have. I'll keep an eye on it, but it's not up for my use case yet.

Also, since there's no good reason to require a person's email address in order to obtain a download link, I hereby by give the Enpass developers a digital neener-neener, by disclosing their s00per-sekr1t download URL for the Windows PC version thusly with extreme prejudice.

TomD101

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all,
I got to test Dashlane via bitsdujour (I think) a while back. I NEVER used a password manager before, so I have NO idea how to compare their service. I took advantage of their special offer for three years, paying 50 instead of 100 dollars. Yes, I know, there are services for free, cheaper or better, but I started - as I said - for the first time to use a tool that relieved me from looking up or memorize around 200 different passwords or login information for all the sites I visit regularly.
Method is simple: You login, while Dashlane is running. Dashlane "knows", you do a login, monitors it and asks, whether you want to store this special information. NEVER does it automatically, not even, if updating a known login with a new password.
The premium version can be installed on ANY device you own / use. It syncs automatically every new information to every (active / online) device. NO matter which device - including android cellphones (and probably apple as well) you use for creating or updating an entry, it will be synced with every other as soon as it is active.
Dashlane offers a multitude of features, like creating your home adress in a way it will automatically inserted in most masks using the typical fields like name, first name, street etc. You can of course create several of these.
The service: upon downloading the - then - current version, I run afoul on my Vista laptop. It simply would not install. We exchanged emails for a while and the guys at Dashlane did NOT give up until they found a working solution. Since then, no problem with updates or anything with my Vista machine. W7, android, W8, no problem anyway.

Impression: I am satisfied with the service, the product, the usablility and quite everything connected with the company and the product. But I DON'T KNOW better. First time. I like it. Yes, I took a look at KeepAss and some others, but did not even bother to install. Something just didn't feel ... right. No criticism, but just a .... feeling.

My recommendation: IF YOU are really prepared to use a service that charges money AND IF you have some experience to compare, give it a try. Test the free of charge version (not synching, only valid for ONE machine). Get a feeling for the GUI and the way it works and decide for yourself. You are about to offer your inner self to a company. Don't, if you don't feel good with it.

Best
Thomas
Berlin, Germany
The more things stay, the more they change the sane.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there any free and secure LastPass alternative that works as well with Firefox as KeePass does?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Way back when I worked for ESTsoft, their password manager (ALPass) was pretty darn good, and I used that.

ALPass introduced a cloud version where you could sign in to your ALPass account from anywhere.

Now... I'm dead set against any kind of cloud solution for anything that doesn't really need to be there. However, the way it is done with ALPass is good.

Encryption is done client side with nothing stored unencrypted in the cloud. ESTsoft had no power to recover your passwords if you lost your master password. This is absolutely the right thing to do for any kind of cloud password storage.

http://www.altools.c.../ALTools/ALPass.aspx

I don't think that ESTsoft is really updating it much for the non-Korean market though. It's a shame. They make good stuff.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And just for anyone that would like to try Dashlane, AppSumo currently has 1 year of Dashlane Premium for free providing you're a new user.

Via OzBargain.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there any free and secure LastPass alternative that works as well with Firefox as KeePass does?

Just curious: What's wrong with LastPass in Firefox? It's free and seems to work pretty well, IMO. Or are you talking about on mobile devices?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I became paranoid over the years. Having used LastPass for years, I actually noticed rather late that (security breaches...) it might not be the best idea to store your most important data on servers; especially since LastPass actually keeps a local, unencrypted copy. Also, Android support costs 12 bucks.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
I've been using 1Password (trial version) for a while on OSX, and it's kinda nice - but it doesn't have non-cloudbased syncing across devices, which sucks.

Oh, that seems to have the perfect feature set for me! Cross-platform, WiFi sync... I'm definitely going to give this a go! The license model nags me a bit, though. Have I misunderstood it, or will you lose premium features once the license period is over? Lifetime license price is a bit steep.
- carpe noctem

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@f0dder: if you're interested in Sticky Password. Premium,  it's fairly often on Bits du Jour, and appears so now:

http://www.bitsdujou...aign=2015-09-19+PC+A

This is for a lifetime licence at $49.99.

Apologies for clumsy post,  on Android tablet. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:08 AM by rjbull, Reason: Added "lifetime licence." »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh, that seems to have the perfect feature set for me! Cross-platform, WiFi sync... I'm definitely going to give this a go! The license model nags me a bit, though. Have I misunderstood it, or will you lose premium features once the license period is over? Lifetime license price is a bit steep.

I've been a Sticky Password user for years. Love, love, love it....but, holy cow! They have seriously raised their prices!!! I love their product, but I don't know if I can keep recommending them as enthusiastically as I have been at the current price point.

f0dder, wish you would have seen the threads I posted in the Found Deals section a year or so ago before their prices skyrocketed.

Anecdotal story: I can't complain in any way how they have treated me as a customer. I bought Sticky Password v6 on a BitsDuJour special for $8. Version 7 came out and wanted to sync all my stuff to the cloud so I skipped it. Version 8 was released with optional WiFi or Cloud sync (or none at all) and I was getting ready to bite on the upgrade when they announced that all previous paid customers would receive a lifetime license free. So, yeah...$8 for a lifetime license. They earned some good will from me.

I really like how they keep their Firefox extension updated to support the beta versions of Firefox....and when I was in college, it was the only password manager that would auto-fill the login fields on my college's brain-dead log-in page.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
@f0dder: if you're interested in Sticky Password. Premium,  it's fairly often on Bits du Jour, and appears so now:
Thanks, it's tempting - even if it's still a pretty steep price for a password manager.

Also, I tried installing it on OSX, but it claims the StickyPassword for my account is wrong... even though I can login to the StickyAccount just fine from that system in a webbrowser. Not very confidence inspiring! I'm also not super fond of how you master password seems to be tied to your StickyAccount. They might have implemented in a secure and zero-knowledge way, but it feels a bit odd.
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, it's tempting - even if it's still a pretty steep price for a password manager.

Also, I tried installing it on OSX, but it claims the StickyPassword for my account is wrong... even though I can login to the StickyAccount just fine from that system in a webbrowser. Not very confidence inspiring! I'm also not super fond of how you master password seems to be tied to your StickyAccount. They might have implemented in a secure and zero-knowledge way, but it feels a bit odd.

At $49.99, it's exactly the same price as 1Password... but for a lifetime license.  I'm thinking about at least trying it...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good comparison of password services with ranking:

http://www.asecureli...roboform-vs-keepass/

Interesting bit (and breaking point) for using dashlane (if it's still true)

Dashlane servers went down recently and left me unable to access my passwords for most of a day. They don’t have a way to bypass contacting servers and let you use locally saved password archive. Until they fix this, you are out of luck if their servers go down. -Timothy B., PC MAG 2/2015

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm also not super fond of how you master password seems to be tied to your StickyAccount. They might have implemented in a secure and zero-knowledge way, but it feels a bit odd.

From Sticky Password:

"Only you know your Master Password. The authentication that takes place when Sticky Password syncs or performs a backup to the cloud (Sticky Password uses Amazon cloud services for our backend services) involves only your StickyID (your email address) and your StickyPass – which is different to your Master Password. For syncing and backing up to the backend servers, only the encrypted database is sent over the Internet, so even if an attacker were lucky enough to catch the communication he wouldn’t be able access the encrypted data inside the DB."

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
The authentication that takes place when Sticky Password syncs or performs a backup to the cloud (Sticky Password uses Amazon cloud services for our backend services) involves only your StickyID (your email address) and your StickyPass – which is different to your Master Password.
Seems like they've made changes since that text was written.

I can't find anywhere to change the StickyPass, there's nothing in the StickyAccount regarding passwords - and when I change the Master Password in the Windows application, it affects the login for the StickyAccount. Also, the StickyAccount password input field says "Master Password".
- carpe noctem