topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: pretty-software.com does the same as Find and Run Robot and it is really free ;D  (Read 7821 times)

cyberdoc999

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
pretty-software.com does the same as Find and Run Robot and it is really free ;D

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
does the same as Find and Run Robot and it is really free
Why do you suggest that FARR isn't really free? Because it is actually, very much, free.

You can (and probably should) support it by giving a donation to the author, if you are actively using it in your day to day computer activities.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pretty Run is actually mentioned in the FARR manual under related programs.

I have always thought it was a nice gesture of mouser to list the competition :-[.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pretty Run is actually mentioned in the FARR manual under related programs.

I have always thought it was a nice gesture of mouser to list the competition :-[.
I don't mind mentioning a competing product, I stumbled over the 'really free' phrase :(

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Nice of Cyberdoc to stick around and discuss though.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
cyberdoc may have just had some frustration getting Find and Run Robot to accept the free license key -- i know sometimes there can be some frustration with the captcha signing up to the forum, or with just the idea of having to download a free license key -- as i've said many times before my frustration threshold is very low and when trying to install some software i can understand getting mad at having to do any extra step.

cyberdoc, if you are still around, and got frustrated with the procedure and want to try FARR again, feel free to contact me for any assistance in getting it working or getting the license key put in -- sometimes the approach we use here leaves something to be desired, but all we are trying to do is get people to at least consider for a moment donating.  but regardless of that, i'm happy to assist in getting it working well for you, so let me/us know how we can assist.

or if you are just trying to advertise another tool.. well as Jibz says, you can find a list of alternative programs at the bottom of the Find and Run help file (you'll also see there that FARR has been in fairly constant development since 2002 -- many similar programs have come and gone since then!).

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
pretty-software.com does the same as Find and Run Robot and it is really free ;D

I shall ignore the obvious spammy factors of a first time poster, linking to a competitors products (Not sure if this guy is the dev, or just a fan...)

However,  I wasn't aware that FARR, or in fact, ANYTHING from DC wasn't free...yes you need a license key in order to stop it moaning at you in like 6 months time...but...it is still free....Registering on the forum to get a key, is free...entering the key, is free...donating is 100% optional...so...it's free...and seeing as pretty-software also ask for donations, I don't see how anything other than the license key is different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
completely off-topic :-[

hah,
I like that one Stephen:
()
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This thread got me to try it out of curiosity.  Turns out it was one of a bunch a launchers I tried a few months ago and removed.  I have a ton of tiny exes under a single folder.  Adding the folder with "search subfolders" enabled did not bring them up in spiffy fashion, which would be the only reason for me to use the utility.

Been there done that.  :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

I shall ignore the obvious spammy factors of a first time poster, linking to a competitors products (Not sure if this guy is the dev, or just a fan...)

However,  I wasn't aware that FARR, or in fact, ANYTHING from DC wasn't free...yes you need a license key in order to stop it moaning at you in like 6 months time...but...it is still free....Registering on the forum to get a key, is free...entering the key, is free...donating is 100% optional...so...it's free...and seeing as pretty-software also ask for donations, I don't see how anything other than the license key is different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-Stephen66515 (March 25, 2015, 06:18 AM)

First, I do get your point.

as i've said many times before my frustration threshold is very low and when trying to install some software i can understand getting mad at having to do any extra step.

And you're far from the only one! :)

But consider this...

DC started in 2005. That's 10 years ago. Or, a epoch ago in Internet age.

Back in 2005 we (as software authors) were worried about spyware and adware and shady stuff in our software. We looked for ethical ways to create ties or links or bonds to customers, and opt-in licenses were one way, e.g. Expresso used the same model.

Today giving away your email address has far more far reaching consequences.

And today a very large number of software authors are doing things that are at best unethical.

If anyone remembers OpenCandy, I wrote a deconstruction of what was happening under the hood in OpenCandy. I turned up nothing. There are good guys out there, but there are also a lot of bad guys.

Today, asking for an email address is a different thing.

In any event, I can understand that perception. It's a shame that we don't really have a good reputation system that isn't gamed.

So, the question is, is the OP's post an indication of a changing environment, or is it just a knee-jerk reaction from a 1-time poster? Dunno. The title drew me in, and the thread got me thinking a bit.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I still say spam:

Date Registered:   March 25, 2015, 12:14:23 AM
Last Active:   March 25, 2015, 12:22:46 AM

He registered, posted this, then left...typical of a spammer.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I still say spam:

-Stephen66515 (March 26, 2015, 09:07 AM)

The reason that I wouldn't have a knee jerk reaction in the other direction of spam is the fact that there are countless others who have done the same thing- most of them just say your software sucks!  Or why is this so hard?  And never come back.  Though the way in which it is posed is a bit rude, it still is good for rumination.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I still say spam:

-Stephen66515 (March 26, 2015, 09:07 AM)

The reason that I wouldn't have a knee jerk reaction in the other direction of spam is the fact that there are countless others who have done the same thing- most of them just say your software sucks!  Or why is this so hard?  And never come back.  Though the way in which it is posed is a bit rude, it still is good for rumination.

I think that's why mouser has decided to leave it here tbh, in one way, if it is spam...oh well...it gives everybody a chance to weigh in and defend DC...which they have done here ^_^

Either way, I still say spam...or angry person...or the dev of pretty-software needs fresh users and thought he could lure some from here (Apologies if the pretty-software dev had nothing to do with this!)  ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I think that's why mouser has decided to leave it here tbh, in one way, if it is spam...oh well...it gives everybody a chance to weigh in and defend DC...which they have done here ^_^
-Stephen66515 (March 26, 2015, 09:57 AM)

Please don't misconstrue my post as a defense of DC. It was not intended as such. It was a statement on the state of software ethics in 2005 vs 2015.

I'm not sure if you took my post into consideration for that statement, so please forgive me if I've been presumptuous. That wasn't my intent.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker