topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2015 Release: WhenLast (Android app)  (Read 121005 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2015 Release: WhenLast (Android app)
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2015, 01:58 PM »
@mouser: It appears to me that you just need to add extra (transparent) padding to the top and bottom of the image to make it as tall as it is wide.

i could do that.. but it's been suggested to me that the "icon" is not very mobile-like, and that i should have a more square shaped icon..

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2015, 05:20 PM »
@mouser: It appears to me that you just need to add extra (transparent) padding to the top and bottom of the image to make it as tall as it is wide.

i could do that.. but it's been suggested to me that the "icon" is not very mobile-like, and that i should have a more square shaped icon..

That's what I was saying. Make the height the same as the width. That's the definition of square. (c:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2015, 05:24 PM »
 ;D what i meant is make the image design itself more squarish, rather than an image which is technically square but has large transparent blank area on one side.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2015, 05:43 PM »
I thought the complaint was that because the dimensions of the image aren't square, the icon gets squished to weird proportions. I figured making the image square with some transparent pixels would prevent that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2015, 05:47 PM »
yes, it should fix that problem.
im just saying a secondary problem is that people have suggested i should make the icon more mobile-looking, and that might be best to do that instead.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2015, 03:32 AM »
Updated; you can now specify both a reminder and an overdue setting for an item.

Every time I try to escape my reputation of filling my apps with a million options, they drag me back in again!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2015, 07:22 AM »
yes, it should fix that problem.
im just saying a secondary problem is that people have suggested i should make the icon more mobile-looking, and that might be best to do that instead.
Talk about over-thinking the issue... Draw some wheels onto it!  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2015, 05:33 PM »
New version is up with some new widget options.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2015, 03:02 AM »
The widget needs a contrasting background so that the text is legible.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2015, 03:10 AM »
have you tried the widget option to use a background?
you can't customize the color yet -- it's black.  but it should make text visible clearly regardless of your home screen.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2015, 03:12 AM »
I don't see such an option. Maybe I still have an older version, but I think it updated today on Google Play.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2015, 03:16 AM »
you need an upgrade -- i've been upgrading a lot recently.  this feature was added in the last 24 hours.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14 PM »
New version is up on dc server and uploaded as a BETA on google play store (people who signed up as beta access should be able to see it).
It has a fix from dc member ewemoa to solve the problem where the (#) part of tabs was sometimes being cut off.
Also a few more bugfixes -- hopefully solving a crash that could happen.
Plus new options for controlling what is displayed (date, duration, or both), as well as ability for advanced users to customize the date format, etc.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2015, 09:42 PM »
If anyone thinks up a more unique idea for a android app that uses this same basic user interface approach (user-created items organized into tabs by tags), please let me know.
Some possibilities include: Android version of Progress Bars of Life and Android version of Point Motivator.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:07 AM by mouser »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34 PM »
I just added WhenLast to my new smartphone, and the process of installing it brought to mind several questions/issues:

1) Is there a way to delete all your examples at once, rather than having to delete them one by one?  My categories were sufficiently different from yours that I preferred to start from scratch.  I first tried to delete the categories, hoping that that would also zap the items inside them.  That didn't work.  So I then deleted each item and then tried to delete the category.  That seemed to be successful, in that I was asked whether I wanted to delete the category, but although I said OK, the categories kept appearing.   Eventually they did disappear.

2) Is there a way to manually enter a date when something was done and have that date be visible until the next time?  For example, if I made an image backup on December 21, 2014 (before I had WhenLast) and not since then, I'd like to be able to have WhenLast show the December 21, 2014 date.  I found I could write in a date, but it wouldn't be visible on the main screen.

3) Is there a way to synchronize WhenLast on two (or more) devices?  I now have it on my Nexus 7 tablet and my smartphone.  I tried to find a file or files that I could copy from my device to my computer and then from my computer to the other device, but I couldn't find it/them.

I'm very happy with WhenLast and would recommend it highly as it is. :Thmbsup:  The above are just a few points that might make the app even better.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2015, 10:44 PM »
1) Is there a way to delete all your examples at once, rather than having to delete them one by one?  My categories were sufficiently different from yours that I preferred to start from scratch.  I first tried to delete the categories, hoping that that would also zap the items inside them.  That didn't work.

I can understand the confusion+frustration.  Right now WhenLast will recreate a category even after you delete it, if there are any items with that tag.  I will be changing this behavior so that if you try to delete a category with items in it, you will be told how many items are solely in that category, and then your choice will be to delete the category AND all items in it, or cancel your attempted delete.

2) Is there a way to manually enter a date when something was done and have that date be visible until the next time?  For example, if I made an image backup on December 21, 2014 (before I had WhenLast) and not since then, I'd like to be able to have WhenLast show the December 21, 2014 date.  I found I could write in a date, but it wouldn't be visible on the main screen.

you can do this, though it's a bit uncomfortable.  do this: Click the NOW button for the item so that the current date is entered.  Now edit that item, and in the date history area, go change the date to the date of your choice, keeping the same basic date format.

in a future version i will make it so you can edit the date in a more friendly fashion.

3) Is there a way to synchronize WhenLast on two (or more) devices?

you can EXPORT your data file onto an sdcard or dropbox, etc., and then IMPORT it on the other machine.  WhenLast smartly merges changes so you can export and import back and forth and preserve recent changes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2015, 12:25 PM »
found I could write in a date, but it wouldn't be visible on the main screen.
New version uploaded which makes it much easier to add custom dates for items.  Just edit an item and you'll see a new button for adding a custom date.  As long as the topmost date in history is in proper format, it will be interpreted as the last performed date.

Beta version now deletes all items in a category when you delete a category.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:41 PM by mouser »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Mouser, you are amazing!  Thanks very much for answering my questions so promptly and helpfully, and then for creating a new version of WhenLast that incorporates some of the features I asked about.  :Thmbsup:

There was one glitch when I did the export/import procedure.  I exported the data file to my computer and then imported it to my phone.  All worked well, except that I now had two entries for each item--one that said Never for each (since I installed WhenLast on my phone a day or so ago and added the entries I wanted but didn't put any dates in), and one that contained the correct imported information for each entry.  I was able to delete the entries that had no dates, so all is now well, but I'm wondering whether the duplication will happen again the next time I import. 

Again, MANY THANKS!! 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2015, 10:02 AM »
All worked well, except that I now had two entries for each item--one that said Never for each (since I installed WhenLast on my phone a day or so ago and added the entries I wanted but didn't put any dates in), and one that contained the correct imported information for each entry.  I was able to delete the entries that had no dates, so all is now well, but I'm wondering whether the duplication will happen again the next time I import.

that troubles me.. im trying to think what scenario would cause that.  there are some cases where it could have happened if you created them independently on both devices..

please try exporting and importing back and forth a couple more times and make sure the duplicates are not being created any longer. and let me know.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40 AM »
1) I imported the same data again, and as I expected, there were no duplicates. 

2) I then changed the time on one entry and also added a new entry on the tablet, exported the data file to the computer, and then imported it into the phone--no duplicates.  The changed entry was updated appropriately and the new entry was added. 

3) However, as you suspected, creating entries separately in the two devices causes duplication.  I had set up the entries separately when I first installed WhenLast on my phone.  That apparently resulted in the duplication I saw when I imported the tablet's data into the phone for the first time.  To be sure that was what did it, I now created a new entry in the tablet and clicked on NOW to give it a date.   I then created the same new entry on the phone but did not give it any time.  I then exported from the tablet and imported into the phone again.  Sure enough, the entry that I had created separately was duplicated--once with no time, once with the time from the tablet's entry.

Hope this helps.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Thanks for testing -- it sounds like it's working as designed.  :up:

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Great.  From now on, I'll know not to create the same entry separately in both devices.  There will be no need to do so, since export and import work well.  :up:

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2015, 11:35 AM »
Arrgh, why can't I delete my own messages??  I obviously wanted to post only one message, the one right before this one.  I apparently hit some wrong button, and trying to deal with that only made it worse.   :(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2015, 12:37 PM »
Arrgh, why can't I delete my own messages??  I obviously wanted to post only one message, the one right before this one.  I apparently hit some wrong button, and trying to deal with that only made it worse.   :(

This ability was removed a few years ago when someone went on a binge deleting their messages to burn the earth when they left. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2015, 06:29 PM »
lol