topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684446 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #1150 on: January 28, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Microsoft unveils Windows Terminal, a new command line app for Windows
-Arizona Hot (May 07, 2019, 08:01 AM)

For now it is just the source code, not the executable. For those already wanting this type of functionality (and then some): ExtraTerm (open source, works on Windows, Linux and Mac, supports cmd, PowerShell, WSL, tabs and 'terminal multiplexing').

Microsoft's new Windows Terminal is now available in the Store

Was cute that it was tabbed and one could choose from cmd.exe vs powershell flavors.  Definitely had rough edges though.  Not ready for general use IMHO.

Somehow I missed it both times it was mentioned in this thread, and I was just made aware of it through this video someone linked to on Twitter:

I just downloaded Windows Terminal on the Microsoft Store, where it's still in preview.

I'm not an expert on cmd.exe or PowerShell. As far as I can tell it works just like the old Command Prompt or the current PowerShell, but with the benefit of a tabbed interface. I think I'd like to continue using it, but I may forget it exists and just launch PowerShell the usual way (ctrl-shift right-click in Windows Explorer -> Open PowerShell window here).

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1151 on: February 05, 2020, 09:19 AM »
Prefer Windows 7 over Windows 10's updates_ Here's how to make the adjustment.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Prefer Windows 7 over Windows 10's updates? Here's how to make the adjustment

Are there any people here who have Win 10 and don't use Classic Shell or something like it?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:51 AM by Arizona Hot »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1152 on: February 05, 2020, 11:53 AM »
Are there any people here who have Win 10 and don't use Classic Shell or something like it?

Me.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1153 on: February 05, 2020, 12:18 PM »

Me.

Ditto.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1154 on: February 15, 2020, 09:13 AM »

Me.

Ditto.

What do you use?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1155 on: February 15, 2020, 01:52 PM »
Just the shell that comes with Windows.  It's capable enough.  For my programs, I use True Launch Bar and Fences.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1156 on: February 15, 2020, 03:34 PM »
I use Windows 10.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1157 on: February 19, 2020, 10:03 AM »
I prefer the Hierarchial File System I get with Classic Shell over the flat program menu of Win 10.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1158 on: February 19, 2020, 10:06 AM »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1159 on: February 19, 2020, 12:32 PM »
I prefer the Hierarchial File System I get with Classic Shell over the flat program menu of Win 10.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The Windows 10 Start Menu still has a hierarchical layout like it did in Windows 7 and earlier, and AFAIK you're able to organize it however you want. It just also has a "flat" area with "tiles" you can use as shortcuts to your most used apps, which you can also customize and organize however you want.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1160 on: February 20, 2020, 04:00 AM »
The Windows 10 Start Menu still has a hierarchical layout like it did in Windows 7 and earlier, and AFAIK you're able to organize it however you want.

I can't delete any entries nor can I drag'n'drop to rearrange them - everything just gets lumped under an alphabetical order.

There appears to be no way to 'declutter' the start menu of the rubbish I don't require, (eg. Xbox Game Bar, Your phone, etc).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:10 AM by 4wd »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1161 on: February 20, 2020, 05:51 AM »
There appears to be no way to 'declutter' the start menu of the rubbish I don't require, (eg. Xbox Game Bar, Your phone, etc).
I could swear I just right clicked the tiles and deleted the ones like that. No, it was Unpin from Start.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1162 on: February 20, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Yes, you can customize the pinned tiles, but the actual menu, you can only remove sub-sections.  If I actually ever used the start menu, it would be a bit lackluster.  But I think that they're trying to get people to use search more, as when I do use the start menu, I just start typing the name of the item that I want, and it works.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1163 on: February 20, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Yes, you can customize the pinned tiles, but the actual menu, you can only remove sub-sections.  If I actually ever used the start menu, it would be a bit lackluster.  But I think that they're trying to get people to use search more, as when I do use the start menu, I just start typing the name of the item that I want, and it works.

Also sometimes when I am looking for a program shortcut in a crowded folder of them on my desktop I remember that typing the shortcut name will seek it out.  I suspect many Windows users do not realize they can do that even though there is no search box .   :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1164 on: February 20, 2020, 04:37 PM »
But I think that they're trying to get people to use search more, as when I do use the start menu, I just start typing the name of the item that I want, and it works.

That's great ... when you know the name of the program you want, (I usually do but there are some I only use once in a blue moon).

If, for example, you install a program and you file it under a menu item that says 'Video' for video editors/codecs/etc (pre-8.0), it's a lot easier to just pick Video out of the menu list and see what you want out of a list of 10 or so, rather than everything installed on the computer.

I don't want every URL/read me/EULA/the name of every software manufacturer/the postman's dog/etc that program writers seem to think I want cluttering up the menu.

Generally I use a DOpus toolbar stuck on the Desktop, FARR, or Everything, rather than the thing they currently call a Start Menu.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1165 on: February 21, 2020, 02:53 AM »
The Windows 10 Start Menu still has a hierarchical layout like it did in Windows 7 and earlier, and AFAIK you're able to organize it however you want.

I can't delete any entries nor can I drag'n'drop to rearrange them - everything just gets lumped under an alphabetical order.

You can no longer delete and drag'n'drop from the Start Menu to reorganize files, but you can still delete or reorganize from your AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ folders.

Windows Store apps are another story and do indeed just get listed alphabetically, and there seems to be no way to remove them from the Start Menu without uninstalling them. And also as you said, it seems there are some Microsoft apps that are bundled with Windows and cannot be uninstalled, such as Your Phone and the Xbox Game Bar. So there's not much that can be done about those.

But I'm with wraith808. While I do sometimes use the pinned/tiled apps, I rarely use the list of programs in the Start Menu anymore. I just press the Windows key and start typing and press enter. If the Start Menu search doesn't find what I'm looking for, I create a shortcut and give it a name I'll remember to search for and pin that shortcut to the Start Menu. And if I don't know the name of what I'm looking for, then how would I know where to find it in the Start Menu anyway? Unless of course, I've done as you suggested and manually filed it into a "Video" subfolder of the appropriate Start Menu directory as stated above.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:04 AM by Deozaan »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1166 on: February 21, 2020, 07:26 AM »
But I'm with wraith808. While I do sometimes use the pinned/tiled apps, I rarely use the list of programs in the Start Menu anymore. I just press the Windows key and start typing and press enter. If the Start Menu search doesn't find what I'm looking for, I create a shortcut and give it a name I'll remember to search for and pin that shortcut to the Start Menu

Same here … Hell, I forgot the list was even there I haven't used it in so long.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1167 on: May 09, 2020, 07:14 PM »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1168 on: May 09, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Windows 10 Warning: Users Hit By Serious New Failure
-Arizona Hot (May 09, 2020, 07:14 PM)

What a terrible article. The headline makes it sound like there's a security vulnerability or data is being lost. All the article says is that Game Mode is broken for some GPUs, but it doesn't say how or what the symptoms are.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1169 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39 AM »
It does tell you that Microsoft is having a lot of trouble fixing Win10 at this time.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1170 on: May 13, 2020, 04:08 PM »
It does tell you that Microsoft is having a lot of trouble fixing Win10 at this time.
-Arizona Hot (May 13, 2020, 10:39 AM)

That wasn't my takeaway from that article...

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1171 on: May 25, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Microsoft to unify Windows desktop and UWP apps with new Project Reunion.jpgWindows 10 Announced    SetupDiag can help fix Windows 10 upgrade issues – here's how to use it.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft to unify Windows desktop and UWP apps with new Project Reunion

SetupDiag can help fix Windows 10 upgrade issues – here's how to use it

If you want to take these with a grain of salt, do so. Just keep it there for people here on a salt-free diet.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1172 on: May 25, 2020, 10:52 PM »
If you want to take these with a grain of salt, do so. Just keep it there for people here on a salt-free diet.
-Arizona Hot (May 25, 2020, 06:07 PM)

So what you're saying is that even though you're posting to a discussion forum, you don't want there to be any discussion? :huh:

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1173 on: May 26, 2020, 04:06 AM »
Of course, Microsoft is perfect!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1174 on: June 05, 2020, 07:01 PM »
 I installed the latest Win 10 feature update on my Gateway computer today. Although it may be due to my connecting via WiFi, it seemed to take around an hour and a half(I didn't time it). After it fininished installing I got a black screen which never changed, even after a half hour. I control-alt-deleted that and got the password screen and logged into the computer without incident. Everything worked fine when I tried them.