topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 682328 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #1200 on: November 12, 2020, 05:24 PM »
Win 10 default.jpgWindows 10 Announced     Win 10 Dclock.jpgWindows 10 Announced

I normally have the the left screen as a default desktop on my Win 10 Gateway computer. When I click on the Dclock icon in the icon bar I get the right screen.

Desktop_.jpgWindows 10 Announced

One time I got this screen on that computer. Clicking on the icons did nothing. I had to restart the computer later because of problems and this didn't reappear. The default desktop on my Win 10 Shinobee computer looks like this  and the icons work when clicked. Does anyone here have something like this now or in the past with the latest Win 10?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 05:29 PM by Arizona Hot »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1201 on: November 12, 2020, 07:54 PM »
I just know that it's going to take a long time.

It didn't take very long for me. I think by the time it told me to reboot to perform the upgrade, it was finished with the process in less than 5-10 minutes.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1202 on: November 12, 2020, 09:39 PM »
I just know that it's going to take a long time.

It didn't take very long for me. I think by the time it told me to reboot to perform the upgrade, it was finished with the process in less than 5-10 minutes.

I haven't gotten the latest before this one.  So I have to get that one first.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1203 on: November 27, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Desktop with clock.jpgWindows 10 Announced    Locld9 desktop clock.jpgWindows 10 Announced

App's apps digital clock wouldn't show on my Shinobee computer, so I got a Microsoft Store free digital clock. It doesn't have App's features, but it does offer a transparent background.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1204 on: December 07, 2020, 04:51 PM »
It doesn't have App's features,

What features are you referring to?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1205 on: December 08, 2020, 10:54 PM »

DClock tools.jpgWindows 10 Announced

The tools shown here. The app probably has others, but these are the ones I was thinking about.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1206 on: December 11, 2020, 01:51 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The tools shown here. The app probably has others, but these are the ones I was thinking about.

Go in the application folder and you will find an exe file for each of them that can be used without launching the clock. You can create shortcuts to them on your desktop or wherever else you want them. ;)

Alphasort and ToDo List are also available on my site, as stand alone apps.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1207 on: December 15, 2020, 10:55 AM »
App103:  Thank you!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1208 on: December 18, 2020, 11:13 PM »
Old solutions for new problems....

I had an old Pentium I computer with a combo modem/soundcard that had issues staying connected to the internet when a system sound played (system would lock up just long enough to kick me offline), unless there was sound continuously flowing through the soundcard at all times. This meant playing music all the time, and usually keeping the speakers turned off if I didn't want to hear it, till I came across a small app capable of playing continuous low frequency tones that my cheap speakers were unable to produce. (25 Hz did the trick)

Flash forward to a couple of days ago, when a screwy Windows feature update, which I am unable to uninstall, messed up my bluetooth, so that no matter how I have the hardware settings configured, it turns Bluetooth off (to save power) when it thinks it is not in use. This is very BAD for a bluetooth mouse. I reported here about this issue in this thread, and was avoiding reinstalling that update for as long as possible, but Microsoft managed to automatically cram it down my throat when I recently rebooted my machine, despite having updates paused till some time in January.

BUT I noticed it doesn't cut off my mouse if I have sound playing through my bluetooth headphones. So, I am back to using that very old app, to generate a continuous 10 Hz tone, just so I can use my mouse.

Screenshot - 12_17_2020 , 7_13_29 PM.pngWindows 10 Announced

I had to use the system volume mixer to set the volume of this app at a very low level, since my bluetooth headphones are capable of producing audible sound generated from this app, at even the lowest (10 Hz) setting.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1209 on: December 19, 2020, 12:42 AM »
Let me begin by confessing that I own a pretty crap Bluetooth 60% keyboard (which looks like a Apple mini keyboard, and that is where all similarities end). A cheap Chinese rip-off, but I did buy a Bluetooth dongle to be able to use it with my desktop. When I use a wireless speaker, Bluetooth power saving mode doesn't activate. OK. I also own a Bluetooth Apple Macbook mouse. Also no problem with Bluetooth's power saving mode.

But with that keyboard, Bluetooth's power saving features would already occur within 10 seconds of inactivity. So not only do I understand the problem app103 experiences, I sympathize too.

Instructions.Bluetooth.power.saving.disable.jpgWindows 10 Announced
However, disabling the setting shown in the image worked out well for my situation. Likely you (app103) have tried that setting already, but it might help others.

Come to think of it, you should disable the power saving feature from your (wired) network card too. Works exactly the same as shown in the image.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1210 on: December 21, 2020, 02:32 AM »
However, disabling the setting shown in the image worked out well for my situation. Likely you (app103) have tried that setting already, but it might help others.

Come to think of it, you should disable the power saving feature from your (wired) network card too. Works exactly the same as shown in the image.

Yup, been there, done that, and it didn't help. Since this laptop is never used on battery power, I don't really care about power saving, so I disabled that in anything where I found the option to do so. But this update removed that option for my mouse, headphones, and some other items, and now I can only do it for whatever is above that in the Bluetooth food chain. The individual peripherals no longer have a power management tab.

ich thys

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1211 on: January 06, 2021, 08:16 PM »
I set my new HP laptop with Win10 to 'no password', and it persists in halting boot-up just before reaching Desktop to require it. Is there some extra option I'm supposed to enable, or is there a DonationCoder fix for this?
Also, what's that Windows dimmer function that works like f.lux, and which is more preferable, and is there a way to set it to go 'on' all the time and not just when it gets dark outside?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:24 PM by ich thys »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1212 on: January 07, 2021, 05:44 AM »
I set my new HP laptop with Win10 to 'no password',

Elaborate on what you did so far to accomplish that, so we know what not to suggest..  :D

Historically, that always been done using control userpasswords2 (from either run or command prompt)

ich thys

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1213 on: January 07, 2021, 02:52 PM »

Elaborate on what you did so far to accomplish that, so we know what not to suggest..  :D

Historically, that always been done using control userpasswords2 (from either run or command prompt)
I start with Desktop and go to Sign-in options.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1214 on: January 07, 2021, 08:16 PM »
Also, what's that Windows dimmer function that works like f.lux,

Night Light - Open the Notification area, right-click in the tile area and select Edit, then Add it.

ich thys

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1215 on: January 07, 2021, 11:21 PM »
Also, what's that Windows dimmer function that works like f.lux,

Night Light - Open the Notification area, right-click in the tile area and select Edit, then Add it.
Thanks! :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1216 on: January 08, 2021, 05:46 AM »

Is a local account, or a Microsoft account?

ich thys

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1217 on: January 08, 2021, 10:39 AM »

Is a local account, or a Microsoft account?
It appears to all be Microsoft, in a HP laptop. I had to log in to some kind of 'S' account and turn something off so I could add non-Microsoft apps.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1218 on: January 08, 2021, 11:55 AM »
You can't set microsoft accounts to be no password enabled.  The best you can do is set it to use a Pin.

ich thys

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1219 on: January 08, 2021, 02:58 PM »
You can't set microsoft accounts to be no password enabled.  The best you can do is set it to use a Pin.
Well that's good to know anyways. Thank you. :)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1220 on: January 13, 2021, 12:24 PM »
Win 10 Update  01-13-21.jpgWindows 10 Announced

It's Patch Tuesday. I survived  the latest Cumulative Update. A Skynet client wasn't installed. Did anyone here get one?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1221 on: February 21, 2021, 05:46 PM »
Unlimited SWF, Flash to EXE - Chrome.jpgWindows 10 Announced

The latest Win 10 Cumulative Update removed the Adobe Flash player, so I converted all the *.swf files I wanted to keep using into .exes using the site linked to below.

Unlimited SWF, Flash to EXE - Chrome

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1222 on: February 23, 2021, 03:13 PM »
360 degree panoramas of Southwest USA.jpgWindows 10 Announced

There are some nice panoramas here as .swf files that I converted for use after the latest Update using the site in the last post.

360 degree panoramas of Southwest USA

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1223 on: March 11, 2021, 08:39 PM »

Fix Windows 10 Stuck in Tablet Mode

Yesterday I found out about desktop mode and tablet mode and used the procedure in the video above to fix the problem in Reply#1200. After some re-arranging I now have the desktop in the picture below reliably.

Fixed desktop.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1224 on: April 10, 2021, 02:57 AM »
I had an old Pentium I computer with a combo modem/soundcard that had issues staying connected to the internet when a system sound played (system would lock up just long enough to kick me offline), unless there was sound continuously flowing through the soundcard at all times. This meant playing music all the time, and usually keeping the speakers turned off if I didn't want to hear it, till I came across a small app capable of playing continuous low frequency tones that my cheap speakers were unable to produce. (25 Hz did the trick)

I originally made a reply here asking about this app, and got a few responses and a solution. But since it wasn't really related to Windows 10, those posts have been split off into a new thread here:

Program to play inaudible sound continuously