topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684441 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #625 on: October 25, 2015, 09:31 PM »
^ Not for me. :(

http://www.techtimes...ged-by-microsoft.htm

http://www.techrepub...icrosofts-new-rules/

Doesn't seem so ominous if those links are what the forbes article was referring to.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #626 on: October 26, 2015, 12:57 AM »
^ I should have quoted -- yeah, basically you can use Win.7, 8, 8.1 key for a clean Win. 10 install

Microsoft’s Free Upgrade Rules Have Changed
Spoiler
Last week, Forbes contributor Gordon Kelly wrote about the “free upgrade” rules for Windows 10 changing in a good way. Now Microsoft has made it easier for users to upgrade to Windows 10 if you have a genuine copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Windows and Devices Group Vice President Gabe Aul said that an upcoming build of Windows 10 will let users register using existing keys for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

“If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key,” said Aul in a blog post.

Aul also said users can use the existing keys while performing a clean installation. This is convenient because Microsoft previously required users to upgrade by downloading and installing the operating system update after their hardware was registered and hard drives were formatted. This made the upgrade process very difficult so Microsoft’s help desk forums filled with complaints. Giving users more options to upgrade their operating system is definitely beneficial.

Tom

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #627 on: October 29, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Microsoft Windows 10: Is it worth upgrading? | The Guardian

Reasons to upgrade

Windows 10’s attractions, compared with Windows 7, include great touch-screen and stylus support, the ability to run new-style apps as well as traditional programs, and the integration of free OneDrive cloud storage (all from Windows 8 ), the Cortana personal assistant and a notification centre (both from Windows Phone), virtual desktops, Windows Hello sign-on via face or fingerprint recognition, and better gaming capabilities with DirectX 12.

Windows’ touch-oriented apps work much like Apple iOS/Google Android tablet apps. It’s a good idea to use them because they are light weight, securely sandboxed, easy to install/uninstall, and get downloaded/updated from a known source – the Windows Store. Windows’ free games, including Solitaire and Freecell, have been moved to the store to encourage people to use it.

Most of these seem to me primarily consumer-oriented features. Not much there to convince a business user (in fact they're likely to wind them up with the forced download and reminders).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #628 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Most of these seem to me primarily consumer-oriented features. Not much there to convince a business user (in fact they're likely to wind them up with the forced download and reminders).

I notice in my college's library and computer court all the PCs are running Windows 7 Enterprise.  Although many have Apple flat screen monitors.  I guess the Apple flat screen is tough to beat?  A friend has a Mac Laptop and the screen is paper thin, very lightweight, and high quality.  But I digress.  I agree.  I don't know why any business would go past Windows 7 unless they want the touch screen point of sale system(e.g. they are a restaurant.)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #629 on: October 29, 2015, 04:09 PM »
A consumer newspaper probably focuses on features of consumer interests? :-)

Not very interested in what's enterprise-interesting myself, so haven't looked at it - but it performs pretty well (MS seems have done progressively better with 7->8->10), and there's some additional lowlevel security panzering (mitigations, defense-in-depth). Those benefit consumers, and might be of interest at the corporate level.

Of course there's also the said-to-be-privacy-invading stuff, which I'm no fan of - but until somebody discovers anything really underhanded about it, well, that's what group policies are for.

Although many have Apple flat screen monitors.  I guess the Apple flat screen is tough to beat?  A friend has a Mac Laptop and the screen is paper thin, very lightweight, and high quality.
Haven't seen many laptops that can beat the macbook screens, but dunno why you'd buy an external monitor from Apple, really.
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #630 on: October 29, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Haven't seen many laptops that can beat the macbook screens, but dunno why you'd buy an external monitor from Apple, really.

I dunno unless the Apple just fell off the tree.  :)
It's hard to tell what it's hooked up to without crawling around.  There doesn't seem to be a PC under the table as there is on other setups but maybe they are mini-servers and it is wired in or they are just smart terminals.  It says Windows 7 Enterprise on the login screen is all I know.

Control-Alt-Del to log in.  No yelling at Cortana will get you on.  :)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #631 on: October 29, 2015, 07:21 PM »
A consumer newspaper probably focuses on features of consumer interests? :-)

Not very interested in what's enterprise-interesting myself, so haven't looked at it - but it performs pretty well (MS seems have done progressively better with 7->8->10), and there's some additional lowlevel security panzering (mitigations, defense-in-depth). Those benefit consumers, and might be of interest at the corporate level.

Fair enough. Though by "business user" I didn't quite mean 'enterprise' or 'corporate' use. I was wondering what was MS's main proposition to convince someone to switch from Win7 to Win10 who uses it for work, rather than just play. The article itself was kind of suggesting that there wasn't one.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #632 on: October 30, 2015, 07:08 AM »
In 2016 the "optional" Windows 10 download, becomes a "Recommended" one, according to this article (about the middle of the page).

Usually means that much more people will have the Windows 10 installation files on their computer.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #633 on: November 02, 2015, 10:31 AM »
Fair enough. Though by "business user" I didn't quite mean 'enterprise' or 'corporate' use. I was wondering what was MS's main proposition to convince someone to switch from Win7 to Win10 who uses it for work, rather than just play. The article itself was kind of suggesting that there wasn't one.
I can't really recall the last time an OS upgrade had a killer feature - the thing that comes closest is probably Vista moving the graphics stack mostly back into usermode, improving stability over XP immensively. It's really been just gradual improvements (and a few warts).

I've personally found increased performance and additional security stuff good enough reasons to eventually update, when I needed a reinstall anyway.
- carpe noctem

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #634 on: November 02, 2015, 03:35 PM »
For those who want to stop Microsoft from trying to "upgrade" them to Windows 10, GWX Control Panel Version 1.5 was released yesterday.

Among other things, this version will find and optionally remove both types (~BT and ~WS) of hidden Windows 10 installation folders created by Windows Update.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #636 on: November 07, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Dell, HP caught telling customers not to upgrade to Windows 10

It turns out the reason for that was because their after-sales tech support staff are clueless. I had a couple of negative experiences myself with Nuance and HP recently (not related to Win 10) and was even wondering why they bother to offer support service at all, as it reflects so badly on the brand.

The conclusion of the report is the same as it has been for years: never phone a computer manufacturer's tech support. The best way to find a solution to a problem is to search online on enthusiast sites populated by knowledgeable users as anywhere else is likely to lead to considerable delays and generic responses from poorly trained support staff.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #637 on: November 08, 2015, 05:02 AM »
Hmm, could it be a "cumulative update" is tantamount to what we called a service pack in the old days?  Back then there wasn't enough of a broadband customer base to "ship" it via internet. They used CDs.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #638 on: November 12, 2015, 11:36 AM »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #639 on: November 12, 2015, 01:12 PM »
Is there by now an easy way to upgrade from a computer with OEM win8 pro to a clean install (not upgrade on top of win8) of win10 pro? I.e. extract a key from my win8, put a win10 iso on a USB, format the harddrive and then clean install win10. Has anyone here done it? Did you run into any issues?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #640 on: November 12, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Is there by now an easy way to upgrade from a computer with OEM win8 pro to a clean install (not upgrade on top of win8) of win10 pro? I.e. extract a key from my win8, put a win10 iso on a USB, format the harddrive and then clean install win10. Has anyone here done it? Did you run into any issues?

Not directly AFAIK -
see the linked dc thread (it is a couple of months old, so things *may* have changed since, but I dont think so)
Windows 10 Clean Install Instructions
Summary
you would have to do the upgrade in place, Windows 10 registers the hardware - you can then format and do a clean install. I *think* you then dont even need a key (but check that - is discussed in thread).
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #641 on: November 12, 2015, 02:36 PM »
I am not sure if this is exactly the issue of product key clean install.  Perhaps it is relevant:

http://news.softpedi...ovember-495086.shtml

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #642 on: November 12, 2015, 03:12 PM »

Once this new update is out, you can perform a clean install and activate with a key from Win7 or Win8, rather than having to do an in-place upgrade over the old OS.

EDIT: Oops. I had written this a couple hours ago but forgot to push post, then got distracted doing other things. In the meantime there have been two other replies to you. :-[

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #643 on: November 12, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Has anyone gotten today's update? I'm still waiting, and Windows Update says there are no new updates for me.

Anyone know how to force Windows 10 to download the latest update (without joining Insider/fast ring program)?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #644 on: November 12, 2015, 08:59 PM »
This gave me a bit of a surprise (CCleaner cleanup of Win10 + MS Edge 14Gb cache 2015-11-13):
(with thanks to @mouser for creating SC, which made the compound screen clipping easy)
CCleaner - Win10 + MS Edge 14Gb cache 2015-11-13.png
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:04 PM by IainB »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #645 on: November 12, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Has anyone gotten today's update? I'm still waiting, and Windows Update says there are no new updates for me.Anyone know how to force Windows 10 to download the latest update (without joining Insider/fast ring program)?

This article may answer the question.

Windows 10's Latest Update Will Be Delayed For Some Users, But There's A Fix.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Windows 10's Latest Update Will Be Delayed For Some Users, But There's A Fix - Forbes

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #646 on: November 13, 2015, 12:04 AM »
Has anyone gotten today's update? I'm still waiting, and Windows Update says there are no new updates for me. Anyone know how to force Windows 10 to download the latest update (without joining Insider/fast ring program)?

This article may answer the question.

The article says that if you've upgraded to Windows 10 within the last 31 days it won't install the update because it wants you to still have the opportunity to revert to your previous install within 30 days. That doesn't apply to me since I've had Windows 10 installed pretty much since the day it released. That said, it does have a tip on how to get the latest version anyway:

[H]ead over to the Windows 10 download page and hit the “upgrade” button. This will download Microsoft’s migration tool. While this might feel odd, this tool is prepped with the latest version of Windows 10, and will do an in-place upgrade of the OS for you. I haven’t updated my machine yet – although I plan to – but the process runs very much like a new install, so the usual disclaimer about making sure you have a good backup is relevant here.

This might seem a bit heavy-handed but the update does all of the same stuff when it arrives naturally, so it’s just a matter of hurrying the process along slightly.

The reason, apparently, for this is that Threshold is such a massive upgrade to the core of Windows 10 that it isn’t like a patch, or even a service pack. This is essentially a whole new version of Windows 10. This is, obviously somewhat backed up by Microsoft’s claim that Windows 10 would be the “last” version of Windows. Because of this, we won’t really see service packs any more, but just a new version of the OS. This makes some things a lot easier though, like installing Windows down the line without having to patch or slipstream the latest updates into your build.

So, basically, just go to the normal Windows 10 Upgrade page and do an in-place upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10? Interesting...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:09 AM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #647 on: November 13, 2015, 02:20 AM »
So, basically, just go to the normal Windows 10 Upgrade page and do an in-place upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10? Interesting...

I did it and it worked just fine for me. :Thmbsup:

I'm now on Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3). Heh. It says (c) 2016.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:02 PM by Deozaan »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #648 on: November 13, 2015, 01:44 PM »
(Build 10586) New Email balloon messages are back! That was driving me nutz.

I'm not seeing anything new in the Get Control of Windows Updates department yet though ... I thought I'd seen something around here somewhere about a new business update - stop wrecking my Zen you stupid ape - option.

Update took an hour and a half.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #649 on: November 20, 2015, 10:38 AM »
So, basically, just go to the normal Windows 10 Upgrade page and do an in-place upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10? Interesting...I did it and it worked just fine for me. I'm now on Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3). Heh. It says (c) 2016.

How much do you think it is better. I think IE under Win 10 has a problem with website scripts.