topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684615 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #550 on: August 12, 2015, 03:10 PM »
Apparently I just needed to RTFM ... It was a legacy setting that had gotten reset when I flashed the BIOS a few weeks back.
"Remap memory" setting in the BIOS, eh?

Kinda sucks that flashing a new BIOS reset all settings - it would be nice if settings-reset was an option you got after flashing (in case you were flashing because of FUBAR, and FUBAR was caused by bad settings).
- carpe noctem

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #551 on: August 12, 2015, 03:21 PM »
I cannot believe what I just read about the Win 10 start menu and "all apps" view (plus search!):
http://arstechnica.c...-the-bugs-get-fixed/
In Windows 10, it's... different. Windows creates a per-user database containing all the entries that are in Start, both the live tile portion and the All apps portion. This database is (inexplicably) maintained by a system service running as the super-privileged SYSTEM identity. And at the time of writing, this database has the oh-so convenient feature of being limited to around 500 entries.

Holy shit, it shipped like that!?!?!? What. The. Actual. Fuck!?
Ho humm - moving to a database might make sense for really fast lookups (especially if that part of the codebase is shared between desktop and mobile devices). Sounds a bit weird to limit this database (at least that much), though, since lookups should be that much faster. And it seems insane to make the indexing run as SYSTEM when it really only should require your local user privileges - the arstechnica article certainly makes that part of Win10 sound broken :)
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: August 12, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Apparently I just needed to RTFM ... It was a legacy setting that had gotten reset when I flashed the BIOS a few weeks back.
"Remap memory" setting in the BIOS, eh?

Kinda sucks that flashing a new BIOS reset all settings...

There was a time when that behavior was normal ... Which is why I should have known better. I just didn't think to check because I was in a hurry. My computer isn't supposed to break...Ya know? ...That shit only happens to other people.  :D

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: August 12, 2015, 06:49 PM »
Patch bundles are the new norm for Windows 10.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Patch bundles are the new norm for Windows 10  Computerworld

Yesterday's Windows Update was this kind.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: August 13, 2015, 09:07 AM »
A few days ago, the MS Money user forums were buzzing about how Win10 had disabled MS Money - when MS Money started up, it suddenly stopped and said it needed IE6 to be installed.
(For those as might not know it, MS Money uses IE as its primary UI.)

When my MS Money (Sunset version) failed on this error, I clicked the "Send Error Report" button.

MS Money - Win10 IE6 error 2015-08-13.png

Reading the forums, a workaround to the problem was soon discovered. A good description of the problem and the workaround is here: Windows 10 Compatibility with Microsoft Money | Ameridan's Microsoft Money Offline Weblog

However, following a Win10 update today, MS Money is now working perfectly again.
Kudos to MS for fairly swift action on this. I don't know whether the error was a bug, or if it only affected MS Money, but the effect of fixing it seems to indicate that MS is listening and just might be aware of the need to support this and other legacy applications in Win10.

I am cross-posting this to Microsoft Money Plus Sunset - Mini-Review
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:28 AM by IainB »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #555 on: August 16, 2015, 10:53 AM »
However, following a Win10 update today, MS Money is now working perfectly again.
Kudos to MS for fairly swift action on this. I don't know whether the error was a bug, or if it only affected MS Money, but the effect of fixing it seems to indicate that MS is listening and just might be aware of the need to support this and other legacy applications in Win10.

Color me impressed. Most companies would have pointed you to the "Dude, we discontinued that years ago & have no obligation to get it working again for you." knowledgebase article.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: August 16, 2015, 07:31 PM »
^^ Yes, that's what I reckoned, too.   :up:

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:28 PM by Arizona Hot »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: August 23, 2015, 12:49 AM »
Microsoft can now remotely disable pirated games, if you're running them on Windows 10

At least. it can't delete the pirate. I don't think anyone would really want that, especially you!

Microsoft claims Windows 10 EULA that supposedly removes pirated games is about 'security'  GamesBeat  Games  by Jeff Grubb

Interesting. Let's see what it says:

Sometimes you’ll need software updates to keep using the Services. We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services. Such updates are subject to these Terms unless other terms accompany the updates, in which case, those other terms apply. Microsoft isn’t obligated to make any updates available and we don’t guarantee that we will support the version of the system for which you licensed the software.

Really strange language there. What is meant by "the Services"? What is meant by "unauthorized hardware peripheral devices"? These phrases make it sound more like it's talking about Xbox Live and the Xbox console(s) than Windows 10 devices (desktops, laptops, tablets). But Microsoft is going for the whole unified thing, and I can see how in cases such as the Windows Store they might check for and disable pirated copies of apps/games, as I suspect at least Apple if not also Google do on iOS and Android respectively.

Microsoft's attempt at clarification:

"The Microsoft Services Agreement allows Microsoft to change or discontinue certain apps or content where we deem your security is at risk," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement provided to GamesBeat. "This section of the Microsoft Services Agreement is consistent with language in former Terms of Use agreements, which carried over with the introduction of the unified services agreement on August 1. Software that is pirated or botted places the safety and security of our customers at risk, including a higher risk of malware, fraud, public exposure of personal information, and poor performance or feature malfunction. We remain committed to protecting our customers from the risks of non-genuine software and protecting the intellectual property of developers of all types of content."

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #559 on: August 23, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Really strange language there. What is meant by "the Services"? What is meant by "unauthorized hardware peripheral devices"? These phrases make it sound more like it's talking about Xbox Live and the Xbox console(s) than Windows 10 devices (desktops, laptops, tablets). But Microsoft is going for the whole unified thing, and I can see how in cases such as the Windows Store they might check for and disable pirated copies of apps/games, as I suspect at least Apple if not also Google do on iOS and Android respectively.

Looking past the fancy footwork of their marketing & legal teams, I'm picturing Microsoft wants Windows 10 running on your tablet, your phone, and PC if possible with all those inter-connected with your Xbox and each other. I also picture all those devices doing reconnaissance to every other device they are connected to or interact with....ready to 'squeal' to The Man if anything untoward or suspicious is found regarding Microsoft licensed software (and MS's software partners) and then the appropriately sized hammer will drop accordingly.

Now, all the squealing, The Man, and the hammers are figments of my imagination...so far. We will have to wait to see how it all plays out. I do expect a spike in the sales of third-party Windows firewall solutions.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #560 on: August 23, 2015, 05:07 PM »
I might be crossing threads, but this looks like "they let the spokesman out of the cage" about a year late.

"Is this going to be the norm from now on? If the August [cumulative] update breaks something, will there be a broken chain from there?" asked Goettl, afraid that if one of those updates crippled, say, a specific application used by a business and Microsoft was not able to fix the problem, the customer would be stuck not only with a busted app but also out of the future patch loop because patches will only download and install on an up-to-date system."

We've been hollering about this for a year ... nice to know it finally hit "media". And "a specific app used by a business: .. could be anything. No clear mention of "what are first or second or third line apps". So for ex my MyInfo notes program could be "used by a business" ...

And I seem to recall "broken chains" with some kind in Win 8 / Win 8.1 mess!

Bleh!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #562 on: August 24, 2015, 11:47 PM »
I might be crossing threads, but this looks like "they let the spokesman out of the cage" about a year late.

"Is this going to be the norm from now on? If the August [cumulative] update breaks something, will there be a broken chain from there?"

In theory, you should be able to do a system restore if an update breaks your system. But that assumes you can get booted back into your system long enough to perform the restore.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #563 on: August 25, 2015, 07:06 AM »
Torrent trackers freak out over perceived Windows 10 anti-piracy measures  PCWorld

Interesting, comments on that article lead to this one which I found to be quite a condescending attempt to justify the behavior while misdirecting the actual issue. The problem isn't that there are, or are not, reasons for the data being collected for sharing amongst ones devices. The problem is that the data collected is kept in a shareable state for usage by MS and their "partners". This to me is akin to why DropBox's reputation when to shit overnight when it was exposed that all of the information stored there was master keyed to allow the DB staff to access it at will...instead of being properly encrypted on a 1-to-1 basis, so you the individual were the only one with the key and therefore access to your data.

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

^That^ is the real problem. My information is no longer just my information because it is at all points being mined for behavioral traits that some entity may wish to exploit.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #564 on: August 27, 2015, 10:32 AM »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #565 on: August 27, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Infoworld - 10 Reasons you shouldn't update to Windows 10 (Annoying slideshow alert!)

http://www.infoworld...e-to-windows-10.html

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #566 on: August 27, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Anandtech Reviews Windows 10

http://www.anandtech...he-windows-10-review

That was a very thorough review! Thanks for sharing.

Infoworld - 10 Reasons you shouldn't update to Windows 10 (Annoying slideshow alert!)

Very clickbait-y, with not always accurate info...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #567 on: August 27, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Anandtech Reviews Windows 10

http://www.anandtech...he-windows-10-review

Useful info from this review: If you own a version of Windows with Media Center, you should get the Windows Store DVD Player app for free instead of the crazy $15 price!

Details on how to get it are here: http://answers.micro...117403084&auth=1

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #568 on: August 27, 2015, 08:50 PM »

Very clickbait-y, with not always accurate info...

While I thought it was annoying at times, I didn't see any non-accurate info.  What did you find?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #569 on: August 27, 2015, 09:01 PM »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #570 on: August 27, 2015, 09:11 PM »
While I suppose none of them are totally inaccurate, many of them seem reaching or misleading.

Especially: 8. Missing Media Center and DVD player

As I mentioned above, if you have Media Center, you should get the DVD Player app for free after your upgrade. The article doesn't mention that. It just says if you upgrade from 7 to 10, MC is gone, and if you downgrade back to 7, MC doesn't come back.

The others were just... like he was having a hard time time coming up with 10 reasons, but had to because that was the topic of the article.

"Don't do it ... because... um... you might not like tablet mode!"

"Don't do it... because... erm... you might have to do it manually if you don't want to wait until the bugs are worked out for systems like yours!"

"Don't do it... because... uh... something about Achilles."

Then again, he did say those are the best reasons he could think of, and that those reasons didn't stop him from upgrading to Windows 10. So he seems to agree with me that the reasons he listed are pretty lame excuses. :)

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #571 on: August 28, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Hi Ian,
Does the Sunset version work ok in New Zealand - eg GST reports?
If not, is there a free international version that will work?
I've had a bit of a look around, but can't seem to figure it out.
Thanks,
David

Sorry - I omitted to quote from your comment on MS Money, which I now realise was a couple of weeks ago

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #573 on: August 28, 2015, 10:49 PM »
Taskbar clock.jpg    Taskbar clock 2.jpg

When restarting Win 10 after the last update, I noticed that the taskbar clock showed while restarting, but disappeared or was suppressed when done. My best guess as to what is doing this is Classic Shell. Anyone else have any experience with this problem or have fixed it?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #574 on: August 28, 2015, 11:06 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)     (see attachment in previous post)
When restarting Win 10 after the last update, I noticed that the taskbar clock showed while restarting, but disappeared or was suppressed when done. My best guess as to what is doing this is Classic Shell. Anyone else have any experience with this problem or have fixed it?

Check your DClock2 settings, under Options>Tray Clock and make sure Hide Clock isn't checked. ;)