topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Do we have any musical people on DC?  (Read 195589 times)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do we have any musical people on DC?
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28 AM »
^ On the good side, that leaves us with more money for the higher power amps we need and more efficient speakers to save our backs, not to mention another bass or 2. I'm thinking I'll be replacing my POS low end Hartke cab soon with a Bill Fitzmaurice DIY kit.

I would, however, like to get a good compressor pedal, and the Keeley seems to be the one that gets the best reviews. My old Trace head has built in compressor that sounds surprisingly good at a minimal setting. Of course, there are no fine tuning options, and, unlike a pedal, it's not exactly portable to another amp.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2015, 12:11 PM »
I would, however, like to get a good compressor pedal, and the Keeley seems to be the one that gets the best reviews. My old Trace head has built in compressor that sounds surprisingly good at a minimal setting. Of course, there are no fine tuning options, and, unlike a pedal, it's not exactly portable to another amp.

My high wattage SWR head has a built-in compressor too. It's actually rather nice sounding. But it's of the single knob variety which doesn't allow much in the way of fine tuning to get it to sound exactly your way. For normal and sane volumes however, there's always my old and beloved Ampeg B-15N. Being all tube it provides that wonderful natural (by way of physics) compression instrument tube amps do so well.

It always amuses me that the hardcore "vintage tone" freaks love to diss outboard compressors. ("It's just unnatural dude. I'll only plug straight into my Twin 'verb cuz I want to hear pure unadulterated guitar!") And they'll argue at length about it without realizing a compressed signal IS "vintage tone." Those old amps they love and praise so much also compress the living heck out of their signal. But these tubeheads have heard that ol' 12AX7-driven preamp and tube compression so often (and for so long) that they've now come to accept it as uncolored. Which is fine. That trace of distortion and compression is a lot of what makes all-tube amps so musical. So even if the tube freaks underlying premise is wrong, at least the amps they swear by sound good. >:D

Beyond judicious use of compression, I've also had good luck adding the tiniest trace of reverb and the least hint of some very slow tremolo to my bass signal chain. It's so subtle it's virtually inaudible since it only adds a touch of moving air and an indefinable "liveliness" to the overall sound. You can feel a similar sensation of motion when you're in the same room with somebody playing the double bass. Enhancer devices will also give you some of that. I have a lot of respect for the BBE Sonic Maximizer, which I've used in the past even though I rarely use it now. Same goes for the Aphex Aural Exciter which does much the same in stereo. The Aphex also included a feature called Optical Big Bottom which really made it shine for use with electric bass. I have one of those in my rack too. But like the BBE, I seldom use it these days. 

The whole "exciter" thing can be a little hard to get your head and ears around. There's a lot of bad marketing fluff surrounding them. And there's even more flat-out wrong information posted on the web about how they work - along with crazy claims about what  they can do for your sound. However, this video below does a good job demonstrating AND correctly explaining the BBE. Especially impressive (and why I like Nick Jaffee so much) is that this is a redo of his original video. He redid it because BBE contacted him after he posted originally to politely suggest his presentation wasn't clear - and his explanation about how the device worked "wasn't entirely accurate." Most video bloggers wouldn't be so upfront about being wrong when they redid their video. Far too many would double down and start insisting their explanation was "more correct" than the manufacturer's was. But whatever. Put your headphones on and check out what Nick has to say and show you about the BBE Sonic Stomp Maximizer. Fast forward to the 1:00 mark to skip the opening if you want to get right to the demo and explanations:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:59 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2015, 08:54 PM »
I just finished putting some organ on my friends' tracks, for this upcoming album:
http://creativecollo...sacre-at-the-narwhal

So it's coming up soon!  It was a delightful track, if I do say so myself.  A sound we've been talking about for years.

Sounds good! Keep us posted. :Thmbsup:
It's out!
http://creativecollo...sacre-at-the-narwhal

I'm on the last track (the closer, yes!!) "Mac the Knife".  The same band (minus me) is also on track 3 "St. James Infirmary".  Hope you guys like it!

And Happy Valentines!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2015, 09:00 PM »
^Nice! Very nice. (Like that vocalist too!) :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2015, 02:37 AM »
^Nice! Very nice. (Like that vocalist too!) :Thmbsup:
We think she's awesome, too.  Thanks!!  Check out this track from maybe 10 years ago.  That's Houston person playing sax on it, and one of my first times in the studio, and I was basically just mesmerized because he might be my favorite sax player of all time.  Pay attention to 1:50.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2015, 01:23 PM »
So, I figured this was a good place to ask about opinions on the Blurred Lines Verdict.

http://www.musictime...ed-lines-lawsuit.htm

http://www.musictime...ed-lines-verdict.htm

It seems that musicians fall all over the spectrum on this, which was surprising to me.  I don't like "Blurred Lines"- but listening to it and "Got to Give it Up", they're distinctly different songs.  Other opinions:

http://theconcourse....if-you-ha-1690817200
http://www.refinery2...-pharrell-reputation
http://www.slate.com...not_infringe_on.html
http://www.washingto...urred-lines-verdict/
http://www.cbsnews.c...pact-music-industry/
http://radio.com/201...ds-as-blurred-lines/

Thoughts?

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2015, 02:55 PM »
This is the problem with the way copyright is often applied. The line between idea and expression has been blurred by big corporations to the point it effectively doesn't exist.

Marvin Gaye neither wrote nor copyrighted the instrumental arrangements for any of his songs. He walked into the studio with the words and their melody written (the copyrighted portion) and the session musicians threw together the rest. If copyrighting the feel of other musicians' performances is copyright infringement, there are very few songs ever recorded which aren't infringing.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2015, 03:06 PM »
I think the miscalculation by Williams and Thicke's Lawyers was catastrophic.  You can't tell which way a jury is going to rule on something that actually requires expertise.  I don't know what they would have had to do- but they should have done anything they had to in order to avoid that kind of factor.

That said, the "that songs reminds me of another song" threshold would be a new dangerous legal standard IMO.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2015, 03:20 PM »
I think the miscalculation by Williams and Thicke's Lawyers was catastrophic.  You can't tell which way a jury is going to rule on something that actually requires expertise.  I don't know what they would have had to do- but they should have done anything they had to in order to avoid that kind of factor.

That said, the "that songs reminds me of another song" threshold would be a new dangerous legal standard IMO.
Yea, I agree. the implications can be a little frightening.
What about all the blues artists/songs?  Either they can sue almost any pop songs, or pop songs can sue a bunch of blues songs.  I don't know, it's a little nuts.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2015, 05:12 PM »
I think this explains the issue pretty well - except that his examples are actually much closer to the original, compositionally speaking.

- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2015, 05:55 PM »
I think this explains the issue pretty well - except that his examples are actually much closer to the original, compositionally speaking.
yup, exactly.  I don't know what kind of legal mess we're headed into.  I'd say that the sensible thing to do is to avoid trying to set these boundaries on creativity.  Easier said than done.  The problem is...you DO have people who copy music and hide it.  But you also have people who just happen to have the same structure coincidentally.  And I don't think it's possible to draw the line somewhere without nazi-fying the creative process.  but what can you do really.

vrgrrl

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Time to start the DC orchestra it seems! I majored in music performance in college then took some non-music career turns but now I'm playing again (flute, piccolo, alto flute, bass flute, and oboe) in some local groups. I'm working with a teacher who is in the NY Philharmonic and trying to get together a recital for me to play so I could have a more recent stuff soon!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2015, 09:34 PM »
Or there's this one:

Ever wonder why all those pop songs sound kinda the same? Well, it's pretty simple; They all use the same 4 Chords!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2015, 09:43 PM »
My thoughts?  Listen to "Wild Wild West" by The Escape Club:

Then listen to "Pump It Up" by Elvis Costello:

... and tell me who should be suing whom :-\

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2015, 01:34 PM »
^^^lol.  they are exactly the same song!

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Based on this new ruling, Living Colour would be infringing all over the place. They copy everybody's styles, except mixing it with their own.

I personally think it's as original as you can get to turn an influence like this:

into something like this:

Why yes, I am a big fan. And also jealous because they seem to be able to integrate whatever they happen to be listening to into their own music. After working with Vernon Reid, Jack Bruce actually called him the best guitarist he's ever played with. I'm not a fan of some of his solos, but he's like a walking encyclopedia of guitarists.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2015, 05:30 PM »
So what about Weird Al? :huh:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2015, 06:18 PM »
He pays for what he does.  :Thmbsup:

Seriously, he does ask the artists' permission when doing parodies, and he has to share a negotiated cut.  Those negotiations happen for every song, so...
http://mentalfloss.c...-work-weird-al-songs
http://mentalfloss.c...nkovic-and-his-songs

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2015, 09:23 AM »
Anyone else love "Guitar Lessons with Bubbles"? 8)

{NSFW}

https://www.swearnet...th-bubbles/seasons/1

Best guitar lessons ever!  :Thmbsup:

And who doesn't love "Liquor and Whores"? :P

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

theGleep

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Nothing fancy ... just staking a claim!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Well...it's been a long while, but it's finally together. 

And it looks great!  If I took the close-up pictures, I could point out all of the flaws, but at a distance, I'm getting lots of compliments.

Now I'm stripping a Mexican/Korean Strat to do the same treatment with...and probably a year or so (maybe less), I'm going to take the top coat off of this one (polyurethane is lots softer than I thought or wanted!) - and take it in to an auto body shop to have them put a clearcoat on.
Computer Programmer by day
Dreamer at night

theGleep

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2015, 09:48 PM »
... and the back ...
Dreamer at night

tjbray

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2015, 02:21 AM »
@TheGleep: looks really nice, man!  :Thmbsup: The weather around here finally broke, so as long as the humidity lowers a tad, I can finally get the bass I had to put in mothballs in Dec. finished. I'm hoping to have it completely built this month (fingers crossed). I'm also starting a tele build at same time. The body just needs the sharp edge around the top & bottom perimeter rounded over, and I can start deciding on shade of stain or dye. It's gonna have killer tone. I started with Honduran mahogany for the back, with a maple top that has a narrow band of Peruvian Walnut running along each side of the pickups  from neck to bottom. I almost hope the dude I'm building it for doesn't like it so I can keep it!!!

theGleep

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2015, 01:15 PM »
@tjbray:  I can understand that...so far, I'm just doing "refurbishing" as a hobby...but if I get to where they're really nice, I might see about buying cheap, doing the work, and selling them again.

One thing I'm doing with my strat is that BHMay wiring kit.  There is an *amazing* range of sounds available from that mod...and the $35 kit is REALLY affordable.
Dreamer at night

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: June 01, 2015, 11:56 AM »
I didn't know where to put this... but a few articles to honor the passing of the last great bluesman.

BB King obituary

BB King was that rare thing – a game-changer who was also beloved

'Always a rotten apple': BB King, poison and the daughters of an infertile legend

A bit from that last that made me look at him even better than I already had:

He’d met a lot of women playing 300 shows per year, and he had a saying, according to Sawyer: “If a woman is pregnant, and she says you’re the father, the only question to ask is: ‘Is it possible?’ And if it’s possible, it’s yours.”

But Sawyer, the biographer, said King also told him something else, a second piece of information that seemed to contradict the first. This assertion had long been forgotten in his portrait of a blues legend now stalked by family intrigue: King and his second wife couldn’t have children, and he took a fertility test that showed his sperm count was too low to conceive. Sawyer said he published this in his book, The Arrival of BB King, an authorized biography that is now out of print. Sawyer said King read the manuscript and could have removed that statement from the book, but he left it in.

That's the mark of not just a great bluesman, but a great man, IMO.