topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OneNote is now free  (Read 23306 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OneNote is now free
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Today we’re excited to complete that story with three major developments:

OneNote for Mac is available for the first time and for free. With this, OneNote is now available on all the platforms you care about: PC, Mac, Windows tablets, Windows Phone, iPad, iPhone, Android and the Web. And they’re always in sync.

OneNote is now free everywhere including the Windows PC desktop and Mac version because we want everyone to be able to use it. Premium features are available to paid customers.

The OneNote service now provides a cloud API enabling any application to connect to it. This makes it easier than ever to capture ideas, information and inspirations from more applications and more places straight into OneNote, including:

•    OneNote Clipper for saving web pages to OneNote
  •    [email protected] for emailing notes to OneNote
  •    Office Lens for capturing documents and whiteboards with your Windows Phone
  •    Sending blog and news articles to OneNote from Feedly, News360 and Weave
  •    Easy document scanning to OneNote with Brother, Doxie Go, Epson, and Neat
  •    Writing notes with pen and paper and sending them to OneNote with Livescribe
  •    Mobile document scanning to OneNote with Genius Scan and JotNot
  •    Having your physical notebooks scanned into OneNote with Mod Notebooks
  •    Connecting your world to OneNote with IFTTT

Go to www.onenote.com to get OneNote for free for your Mac, PC or other devices, and try out the new OneNote service connected experiences.

There is still a paid version of OneNote if you need such "premium features like SharePoint support, version history, Outlook integration and so on".

So, is this an Evernote-killer or is it too late or not enough for that?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: OneNote is now free
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:43 PM »
April 1??   ;)

I love this developement

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45 PM »
So, is this an Evernote-killer or is it too late or not enough for that?

Don't know if it is or not.  Onenote is more flexible in my opinion; not being able to access it where ever I was was the big reason I've used Evernote for so long.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Is this for real in 2014?

In the "Other download options" dropdown:

For the best compatibility, we recommend the 32-bit version. If you already have other 64-bit Office products installed, use the 64-bit version of OneNote.

I've got a 64-bit CPU, running a 64-bit OS made by Microsoft, yet they recommend a 32-bit version of the software for compatibility? Compatibility with what? :tellme:

But other than that, this is cool news! I love OneNote. I thought it was really cool/useful in Office 2007.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:11 PM »
But other than that, this is cool news! I love OneNote. I thought it was really cool/useful in Office 2007.

A few points from the other thread:

• It's more like freemium
  • You can only use notebooks stored in the cloud in the free version (you have to buy/subscribe to Office to use a local notebook)
  • It's around 1 GB installed, the tiny setup tool downloads all of that
  • It also installs OneDrive and a printer driver
  • Some people see 64-bit programs being installed when they chose the 32-bit version, not sure what exactly the difference is

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:51 PM »
  • Some people see 64-bit programs being installed when they chose the 32-bit version, not sure what exactly the difference is

Since x64 versions are usually a bit larger than their x86 counterparts, maybe it accounts for 900MB of the download?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 07:13 PM »
^ heh

3rd party plugins for Office are usually written for 32-bit Office versions and these are more than likely useless on a 64-bit Office version. Hence the advice that MS gave when I downloaded Office 2010 way back then.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:17 PM »
It was a dig at the size of the download and the fact that x86 versions of (any) programs are generally smaller than their x64 counterparts.

Maybe in the future I need to add more  ;D :) 8) ;) :( >:( :D :tellme: :o :huh: :-[ :down: :up: :Thmbsup: :'( :mad: :-\ :-* :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:29 PM »
I got it and I thought it was funny. :-D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 07:04 PM »
3rd party plugins for Office are usually written for 32-bit Office versions and these are more than likely useless on a 64-bit Office version. Hence the advice that MS gave when I downloaded Office 2010 way back then.

This is exactly the reason for Microsoft's recommendations. 99% of the MS Office plugins available are 32-bit & they will not work with the 64-bit version of Office.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 10:49 PM »
This is exactly the reason for Microsoft's recommendations. 99% of the MS Office plugins available are 32-bit & they will not work with the 64-bit version of Office.

Thus the farce of downloading the x86 installer and running it at their recommendation then finding that they apparently installed the x64 version instead ... without telling you.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Thus the farce of downloading the x86 installer and running it at their recommendation then finding that they apparently installed the x64 version instead ... without telling you.

Not that it excuses what is happening, but to be fair I don't think there are any plugins available for OneNote anyway. At least, I'm not aware of any.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 01:24 PM »

I downloaded and installed the x86 version and that's what exactly I got. I had to run a special removal tool to get rid of it so that I could install the x64 version. I also didn't have any other Office products installed on my computer before installing OneNote.

Did you by chance already have some Office x64 products installed before you installed OneNote?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 02:28 PM »

Did you by chance already have some Office x64 products installed before you installed OneNote?

Other than Windows 8.1 Pro x64, there's no other Microsoft programs installed, (except those installed by WHS2011 - also x64).

When I ran the x86 installer I ended up with a folder in Program Files (x86) of ~200kB and one in Program Files of ~1GB - which if the folder under Program Files actually contained the x86 version, seems contrary to Microsoft's stipulations.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 03:26 PM »

I only had the free Word Viewer (with compatibility pack) installed (only think that comes in 32-bit). I noticed it no longer opens docx files but gives an error message now, not sure if the OneNote install broke it.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: OneNote is now free (for reals this time)
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 12:37 PM »
It seems Microsoft has removed all feature restrictions and now OneNote is completely free (as in price) instead of freemium:

Microsoft makes OneNote for Windows completely free by removing all feature restrictions

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Worth downloading for sure.

Worth using?
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 06:03 AM »
Worth downloading, yes, but note that it seems to be for the Cloud-only variant.
Worth using? Yes, probably, but as always it would depend on one's requirements.

My requirements necessitate the Client-based (laptop) variant, with sync to the OneNote/OneDrive Cloud.
Whilst I am still not entirely happy with some aspects/functionality of it, it's 80% or more of the way there, and there's nothing else quite like it in the market to meet my requirements otherwise, so I'm using it mightily. It gets better as it gets updated, and the busy Onetastic "forum" for add-ons and macros help to make it incrementally more useful.

At the $10 commercial home use option though, MS Office is a steal, and it includes the OneNote Client and integrates brilliantly with with it. Makes it a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 07:50 AM »
At the $10 commercial home use option though, MS Office is a steal, and it includes the OneNote Client and integrates brilliantly with with it. Makes it a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.

That sounds good even if the main use is the OneNote Client.  Do you have the url or more info? I looked around a bit.

Right now, my main PC has licensed Office 2007 (Craigslist Dell purchase) which has a OneNote 2007 implementation with tabs both on top and left side, a bit unusual.  Nice looking.  However, I don't want to bother if I can figger out how to get the new free one and it is better.  For OneNote I don't mind cloud-based. I'll look around for that url and download.

Ok, I found this:

Home Use Program
http://www.microsoft....com/hupus/home.aspx

Maybe it is dependent on your working with a biz that has Office?
"You need a program code from your employer to be eligible."

==============================================

Here is MakeUseOf going through hoops, jumps and swirls to try to get free Office.

Use Microsoft Office for Free with Microsoft Web Apps
http://www.makeuseof...-microsoft-web-apps/

That is one of the problem of looking for fully free.  Sometimes the very best is low-cost, not free, and you would waste time and effort.

===============================================

and the busy Onetastic "forum" for add-ons and macros

I found the Onetastic site, didn't find a forum.  And the Office forum apparently dances around Onetastic. Are you actually referring to a forum or to a "forum" ?

Steven
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:58 PM by Steven Avery »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Ok, I found this:

Home Use Program
http://www.microsoft....com/hupus/home.aspx

Maybe it is dependent on your working with a biz that has Office?
"You need a program code from your employer to be eligible."

From the FAQ on their web site:

Who qualifies for the Home Use Program (HUP)?

The Home Use Program is a Software Assurance benefit available to Microsoft volume licensing customers with active Software Assurance coverage on their Office applications.  Employees who use the covered licenses at work are eligible to purchase these Office applications for use on a home PC during the term of their employment.  This temporary license expires with the employers Software Assurance coverage, or upon termination of employment with the covered customer.

It's a really great deal if your employer is a Microsoft volume licensing customer.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Useful OneNote links
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 11:44 PM »
Just some notes, following my comments and others', above. Sorry I was in a rush and did not put these in earlier. These are some potentially useful links:
  • 7breaths - occasionally has some good user posts about OneNote.

• Engineering OneNote Blog - very informative and worth a read, but now closed, with Onetastic (Omer Atay) kind of picking up the threads.

• MS Office Answers (all OneNote discussions) - potentially informative and useful if you want to see what problems/queries other users are having or need advice about OneNote. A busy forum. Make posts there if there is something you feel you have to offer to help.

• Office OneNote Gem Add-Ins - Commercial ($PAID) and proprietary add-ins that mostly seem to do what you can probably do with OneTastic macros ($FREE), so I haven't wanted to use any of these add-ins, and cannot really comment. Probably useful for users who haven't got the knowledge or expertise to use Onetastic macros.

• OneNote Office Blog - mostly product news.

• Onetastic - I describe it as a "forum" because you can post comments and also upload your own-developed macros to share with other users. There are a few seriously useful OneNote macros or add-ins on this forum/website. The macro language is under ongoing development, and not all the macro commands can necessarily use all of the functionality of OneNote and get the expected result (from my experience of writing some macros).

• MS Office 2013 US$9.95 Corporate/Enterprise Home Use Program - Mini-Review - on DC Forum.

• Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks - on DC Forum.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Thanks!

====

How to Back Up Your Notebooks in OneNote 2013
http://www.solveyour...oks-in-onenote-2013/

====

The Houston Chronicle small business section
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/

seems to specialize in short articles that tackle individual tasks.
I made this list using the google advanced search on the domain, saving urls to Linkman with a spot of cut-and-paste keyword specialty, and then OCR with Abbyy Screenshot Reader.

Can You Link Excel With OneNote?
Collaborating in Office 365
Connecting Android to MS OneNote via MobileNoter
Deleting OneNote Pages on an iPhone
Embedding YouTube in OneNote
Evernote Vs. Microsoft OneNote
Here's What You Need To Know About Office Online And OneDrive, Microsoft's Latest Alternative To Google Docs (MSFT)
How to Access OneNote for Android
How to Add to OneNote in Firefox
How to Align Text in OneNote
How to Back Up OneNote
How to Change Note Names in OneNote for iPhone
How to Change OneNote Files to Evernote
How to Convert a PDF to OneNote
How to Create a Calendar in OneNote
How to Create an RTF Document From Microsoft Office & Word
How to Create Company Letterhead in OneNote
How to Disable Microsoft OneNote
How to Edit a Scanned Document in Word
How to Enable Add-Ons in OneNote for a Printer Driver From Outlook
How to Export OneNote to OpenOffice
How to Format Normal Paragraphs in OneNote
How to Import Word Into OneNote 2007
How to Make Address Labels in OneNote
How to Make OneNote Make Text Note Card Size
How to Open an EMF
How to Open an MDI File
How to Open OneNote on a Mac
How to Print a DOS Screen (Onenote used for OCR)
How to Protect From Editing in Shared OneNote
How to Resize Inserted Printouts in OneNote
How to Restore From Back Up on OneNote
How to Retrieve Files From Microsoft Office OneNote
How to Save Lost Data in Microsoft Office OneNote
How to Save OneNote to Google Docs
How to Scan a PDF Into Word
How to Scan Documents & Save in Word
How to Send Gmail to OneNote
How to Send to OneNote 2007 From Outlook
How to Start Microsoft Side Note
How to Sync a OneNote and iPod | Chron.com
How to Sync Notes Between an IPad & an Android Device
How to Transfer From Livescribe to MS OneNote
How to Use a Scanner to Read Comma Separated Values
Microsoft Prepares Its Attack On Evernote (MSFT) - Houston Chronicle
Syncing OneNote on an iPhone With a Computer
The Advantages of Using Both Evernote & OneNote   - **
What Microsoft Product Is Good for Outlining a Business Plan?
Why Does Microsoft Office Give Me Such a Hard Time With Spacing?
Zoho vs. OneNote

Steven
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:21 AM by Steven Avery »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 09:44 AM »
^^ That's looks like an interesting list. I shall have to go through those one by one.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 10:28 PM »
Hi,

I'm comparing the Onenote 2007 that is incidentally on my system with the new Onenote 2013, now fully free.

2007 can be run fully in a home-base desktop mode, while the 2013 free is a cloud item with no home-disk access (other than a type of backup).  
Is there a 2013 paid that is architecturally more like the 2007?  What would be the most economical way to do that, ignoring the rest of Office.

The color is more vivid in the 2007. This might be a question though of modern cloud thinking, and able to be adjusted. (Style-sheet?). Or simply a style preference.

2007 has dropdown menus, the 2013 has the ribbon interface.

2007 comes with three built-in notebooks, one a Onenote 2007 Guide, the other two function as templates, and are rather decent, personal and work.  I might make copies of these and actually use the notebooks.  Is there any equivalent in the cloud ?

Related to this, and also a general question ... can 2007 Notebooks be exported to the 2013 cloud with no difficulty?  
(This leads to a few questions as to whether you are trying to synch, or simply allow external web viewing.)

2007 has each notebook as "tab on left" type of indexing, while 2013 set up an index page that acts as like a cover book.  While I prefer 2007 for speed of switching, the 2013 might have some nice aspects. Oh, the two tabs on bottom left 2007 "All Notebooks List" and "Unfiled Notes" are nice, I don't see an equivalent in 2013.

2007 has a very nice toolbar implementation, which is apparently quite limited within the ribbon interace in 2013.

If you do have the 2007 available, and prefer working from the desktop file, what advantages are there in 2013?
And is there an inexpensive way of having the 2007 home-base utility in 2013?

===========================

From the pictures here:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=31755.0

I see the "Page List" sidebar, yet the word sidebar does not appear in the Onenote help.

The small tabs on the left.
Are those pages moved over from the starting spot on the right? Or something else.

==========================

Additional questions.

Is there any way to get a box line around rectangles on a page? (when it is not in focus.)
Same question about background color inside the rectangle?
Can a whole Onenote page have a background (e.g. corkboard, cream color?)

==========================

Overall, I am rather impressed, I still like the way that you can avoid the white space problem with multiple boxes.
Though I see it has, overall, lots of nice stuff.  I'm not sure I would like it to be too cloud oriented.

Steven
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:57 PM by Steven Avery »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 02:36 AM »
Because it suddenly is free, I installed OneNote 2013 on my Win 7, for testing. Having now removed the program, using Revo Uninstaller Pro > Advanced, there are still a lot of OneNote entries in the various right-click context menus. How disappointing! Can "you" (anyone) help me, please, to remove these?
 :tellme:
-------------------------

Oops, silly me! OneNote 2013 did not overwrite OneNote 2010, so I still have that one installed. Never used, but forgotten.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:49 AM by Curt »