topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2014 Release - epCheck  (Read 331478 times)

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2014 Release - epCheck
« Reply #350 on: September 05, 2016, 03:52 PM »

skwire please answer  I apologize I m not technical I want to do a fresh install of (v1.1.5 build 166). can you please give directions I do have epcheck previious version on my computer ?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #351 on: September 05, 2016, 03:56 PM »
It's no different than the regular version.  To do a fresh install, unzip the epCheck_.zip file into a new folder and run epCheck.exe.

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #352 on: September 05, 2016, 04:05 PM »
skwire please answer  I apologize I m not technical when you say a  new folder you meant where I download  in the download folder ?

ganymede4

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #353 on: April 06, 2017, 08:14 AM »
Hi skwire, not sure if you are still interested in continuing to develop this great little app but I have two things to mention.

First is a bit of a bug: sometimes when updating shows (refresh data option), refreshing the view on the weekly tab or adding a new show from search, a random amount of ticks disappear from the list of shows marked as watched. It is usually most of them which is not good as it's thousands of checkboxes. Sometimes it will leave one or two checked per show but it is completely random. It's extremely frustrating.

Second is a small feature request: Would it be possible to have an option for the refresh data option to only update shows listed as "continuing". It seems an unnecessary waste of time to check TVDB for cancelled/completed shows whose listing have been static for long periods, particularly for those with a lot of shows in their list.

Hope to hear back from you and thank you for a wonderful and handy tool.

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2017, 10:46 AM »
First is a bit of a bug: sometimes when updating shows (refresh data option), refreshing the view on the weekly tab or adding a new show from search, a random amount of ticks disappear from the list of shows marked as watched. It is usually most of them which is not good as it's thousands of checkboxes. Sometimes it will leave one or two checked per show but it is completely random. It's extremely frustrating.

OK, so I am not going senile yet. This has happened to me as well. Using epcheck on a USB drive that I fill up for my nephew to view shows on. Was using epcheck to know where I last downloaded and when I get the drive, about once a month, I would launch and refresh data to see what I still needed to get. Whole seasons would be unchecked. I was thinking it was me or the nephew but he always stated he never opened it since it was in my personal folder.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #355 on: April 06, 2017, 11:44 PM »
Hi, ganymede4, and welcome to the DonationCoder forums.

Are you using the beta from this post here:  https://www.donation....msg368839#msg368839

In addition to the new features, I tried to improve the bug you mentioned in that beta, too.

Second is a small feature request: Would it be possible to have an option for the refresh data option to only update shows listed as "continuing". It seems an unnecessary waste of time to check TVDB for cancelled/completed shows whose listing have been static for long periods, particularly for those with a lot of shows in their list.

If you're letting epCheck update the data automatically, it should only update the shows that have changed data (according to TheTVDB).  So, even if a show is "ended", there's still a chance the data may have been edited.  Now, if you go into the Options and choose the "Refresh all series data now" button, it will download each series' data no matter what.

ganymede4

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #356 on: April 08, 2017, 02:26 PM »
Hi, ganymede4, and welcome to the DonationCoder forums.

Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

Are you using the beta from this post here:  https://www.donation....msg368839#msg368839

In addition to the new features, I tried to improve the bug you mentioned in that beta, too.

Yes, I am using that one, v1.1.5 Build 166 dated 30/01/2015. I apologise, I should have mentioned that in my OP.

The bug doesn't seem to have any consistent vector. I would say it most often occurs when refreshing weekly view only, but I have noticed it when refreshing weekly view after adding a new series from search. In addition, it has occurred after a manual refresh of all data. Is a daily backup of the watched.ini file a valid workaround? It seems the only way for me to save myself thousands of clicks.

If you're letting epCheck update the data automatically, it should only update the shows that have changed data (according to TheTVDB).  So, even if a show is "ended", there's still a chance the data may have been edited.  Now, if you go into the Options and choose the "Refresh all series data now" button, it will download each series' data no matter what.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I suspected that the auto-refresh I was letting it do (usually every 3 days) was the culprit for the bug so I set it to zero and only ever used the "Refresh all series data now" button, which of course, as you mentioned, pulled down data for the entire database. I didn't realise that the auto-refresh was only pulling data for continuing or recently changed entries. So much for my bright idea feature request! :P I will now use the auto-refresh set at 1 day and see how I go.

Judging by a quick glance at the forums, you are busy here but if you ever do find the time or inclination to squash this bug, I and others would be very appreciative. I love this app and have searched in vain for something similar to no avail. Thank you again for a really handy piece of software.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #357 on: March 03, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Skwire,

Say, I know this program is a few years old, but I wanted to try it for one single show's series: Star Wars Rebels.

Apparently, the server is no longer available.  Here' my screenshot of the website.

screenshot_waterfox_116.pngNANY 2014 Release - epCheck

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #358 on: March 03, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Are you sure it's not your connection or something transient?  I tried it for Star Wars Rebels and received the correct results.

Update: I get it.  You don't mean for the series information or anything within the application- you mean the uri when you go to https://www.thetvdb.com/.  The whole site appears to be down, so I don't think he's going to be able to do anything about it.  Perhaps it will come back up, or he might change providers possibly.

Update 2: It seems to be a problem with the site.  There's a thread about it on their forums: https://forums.thetv...t=39984&start=20
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:09 PM by wraith808 »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #359 on: March 03, 2018, 10:17 PM »
Apparently, the server is no longer available.

It was up as of last week.  However, this isn't the first time this has happened with the site so nothing to do but wait for it to come back.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #360 on: March 04, 2018, 01:00 PM »
http://www.thetvdb.com site appears to be back up.

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #361 on: March 05, 2018, 06:48 AM »
It's been working smoothly for me.

msteph

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #362 on: May 03, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Jody, I see that TVDB has a new website 'upgrade', although some commenters in the forum are saying "WTH!"

:)

Noticed it last night when I saw that Modern Family was not in my epCheck listings when it was there earlier.  Checked in Series View and the the episode list for MF was blank, as were 6 other series (I have a whole lot of series).  5 of them did show their episodes with a 'Refresh series data' but two shows were still empty.

This morning things seems to be ok with TVDB which is a huge relief since I rely on epCheck so heavily.   

Just thought I'd draw that to your attention, if you weren't already aware. 

Mike S.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #363 on: May 03, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Thank you for the heads up.  I've been sort of dreading this because there have been talks for a long while about moving to an API v2 (but, so far, they haven't).  The problem is that I really don't have time right now to convert epCheck once they actually decide to deprecate the v1 API.   :(

msteph

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #364 on: May 03, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Well, then I say to TVDB, 'to hell with progress', stay put.

LOL

zzynx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #365 on: August 04, 2019, 11:51 AM »
Hi skwire,

I'm a long time user of epcheck.
Today I wanted to mark my "progress" to the TV series "Big Little Lies", but it didn't show any information for that series (I added earlier to "My shows").
When I try to refresh the series data, it "hangs".
I closed the program. Removed the show from the files myshows.txt and watched.ini.
I restarted epcheck, tried to add "Big Little Lies" to my shows again, but once again it hangs showing

Downloading data for:
              Big Little Lies

Any idea what's going on?
Presumably a problem with the source you get the info from?
PS. I had the same problem (no data showing) for the (earlier added) series "Black Mirror", but removing and re-adding it solved it. However, not so for "Big Little Lies".

Kind regards

[Update]
I had the above problem with version 1.1.5 Build 1.
But after some browsing around in this thread I found the latest version is 1.1.5 Build 166.
I installed that one, did a refresh of the data. It didn't hang no more, but it showed nothing (white space).
But after selecting another series and selecting "Big Little Lies" again, I had all the information.
So, problem solved apparently.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:11 PM by zzynx »

msteph

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #366 on: September 28, 2019, 12:14 AM »
Jody, it looks like the 'dreaded day' has finally come to TVDB.  This evening I saw that epCheck was missing some shows' dates so I did a refresh and ALL the data is gone (my Series shows are still listed but no episodes, dates etc). 

Checked at TVDB and see that they've gone to "v3" which I assume is their 'upgrade' that breaks epCheck.

Can you verify my conclusion?

Mike S.

zzynx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #367 on: September 28, 2019, 05:26 AM »
I think when they're talking about "version 3" in their forum they mean their web site.
The API is version 2.2 (https://api.thetvdb.com/swagger).

And btw, epCheck is still working well on my side.

msteph

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #368 on: September 28, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on the version numbers, zzynx.  And I'm really glad to hear that epCheck is still working for you.

With that in mind, just now, I refreshed all the data, twice (first time saw no change), and now all the show dates etc are back.

In the past, I've had a show or a couple of shows have their data disappear from the Series list.  The show's title is still there but the episodes, air dates, etc are gone.  I've always just 'Refresh series data' and the info comes back.  This time was very weird - all the data for all the shows was gone, just blank spaces.  And, obviously, all the listings in the Weekly and Monthly tabs were not there.

What a relief!  I can't tell you how much I rely on epCheck to keep track of my big/long list of shows.  :)

zzynx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #369 on: September 28, 2019, 02:45 PM »
In the past, I've had a show or a couple of shows have their data disappear from the Series list.
I've had the same. (cf. Reply #365). Make sure you use 1.1.5 Build 166. At least it solved my problem at that moment.

What a relief!
Good to hear. :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #370 on: September 28, 2019, 11:36 PM »
FWIW, I just updated my series data and epCheck appears to be working normally.   :up:

msteph

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #371 on: September 29, 2019, 01:23 AM »
zzynx, just checked and I do have build 166.  :)

And Jody, I am really happy that all I had was a temporary glitch, and that epCheck is working fine for all 3 of us.  Not sure what I'd do without it!

dallas7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #372 on: October 19, 2019, 12:37 AM »
Greetings.  Been a long time.  Good to see activity here continues because...

epCheck 1.1.5 b166 has been working great, seems like forever.

I've been trying to add HBO's Watchmen but Search returns only Watchmen: Motion Comic from 2009.  I checked in TheTVDB and that's there with Watchmen (2017) and the HBO Watchmen with their three IDs.  Never had any issues with HBO; just added His Dark Materials a few days ago.

Is there a way to add a series by its ID?

Thanks!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #373 on: October 19, 2019, 10:52 AM »
I've been trying to add HBO's Watchmen but Search returns only Watchmen: Motion Comic from 2009.  I checked in TheTVDB and that's there with Watchmen (2017) and the HBO Watchmen with their three IDs.  Never had any issues with HBO; just added His Dark Materials a few days ago.

Oddly enough, the API search returns different results than searching via the website.  It's even mentioned in the API docs and, unfortunately, can cause situations such as this.  There is no way to add by ID, but you can manually add a show using this process:

• Within epCheck, add any show to a profile.  Make note of the name of the show and the profile you added it to.
  • Shut down epCheck.
  • Use a file manager to go into the "data" folder within epCheck's folder.  Find the <profile_name>.txt file and create a backup copy of it somewhere else.  Open the original in a text editor.
  • Find the show name you added and change the name and show ID to what you want.  Be careful not to mess up the tab characters between the name, show ID, and profile name.
  • Save the file and start up epCheck.  Find your show.
  • Right-click your show, choose "Refresh series data" and let it do its thing.
  • Once it's done downloading the show data, select a different show, and then reselect your show.  The data should be there.

ganymede4

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #374 on: October 19, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Hi skwire, I'm still using epCheck happily and it's still going strong.

I have a question about TVmaze: how easy/difficult would it be to add as an option to use the TVmaze API? I mean in addition to TVDB, as a selectable option. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably not trivial, but I'm interested to know.

The main reason is that often for very recent episodes, TVmaze has the correct info, i.e. ep title and airdate sooner than TVDB. Occasionally it's the other way round but I find I often have to check their website when something doesn't match up.

Here's the info for their API - https://www.tvmaze.com/api

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Bonus question: Have you ever considered open sourcing the project to Github or similar?