topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2014 Release - epCheck  (Read 331543 times)

subtech

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2014 Release - epCheck
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2015, 09:27 PM »
For the past week or two, it takes exactly 44 seconds for epCheck to start after double clicking the program icon. I am running Windows 10 and I assume the problem is with the OS but I never had a problem until lately and I have been running Win 10 ever since it was available. Perhaps it is one of the latest updates for Windows? The slow start happens every time. I can close epCheck and immediately try running it again and there is another 44 second delay before the program window opens.

I have tried turning off the firewall and antivirus with no difference. I have tried running it as administrator and in Win 8 compatibility mode with no change. I am out of ideas and thought I would ask here if anyone can help.

Thanks

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #301 on: December 13, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Copy just the epCheck.exe file to a new folder and start it up.  How long does it take?

subtech

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2015, 09:35 PM »
I had not thought about doing that. Moving the exe to a different folder makes the program start in 2 seconds or less. So what does that mean?

subtech

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2015, 09:48 PM »
I just tried copying the config file and the data folder to the different folder as well. And now it still opens in just 2 seconds! I don't get what is going on but it looks like using a different folder solves the problem.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #304 on: December 13, 2015, 09:50 PM »
I just tried copying the config file and the data folder to the different folder as well. And now it still opens in just 2 seconds! I don't get what is going on but it looks like using a different folder solves the problem.

That's really odd.  Maybe some data couldn't be read previously?  Is it possible that you're having HDD/SSD issues?

subtech

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #305 on: December 13, 2015, 09:58 PM »
I just tried renaming the original folder from "epCheck" to "epCheck_1" and it now opens as it should. All my shows and everything else is OK. A simple fix but I don't understand it.

subtech

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #306 on: December 13, 2015, 10:03 PM »
I tried renaming the folder back to "epCheck" and get the 44 second delay again. Renaming the folder solves my problem for whatever reason.

Thanks for your help

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #307 on: December 13, 2015, 10:44 PM »
By using software such as DependencyWalker and ProcessMonitor (from SysInternals) you can find out what processes are started in the background while opening epCheck. You should try this with both epCheck folders to see the difference and from there you can deduce which process is the actual troublemaker.

Working with these tools might seem daunting at first, but both software packages come with a clear and easy to follow manual.

subtech

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #308 on: December 13, 2015, 11:06 PM »
I would like to download a fresh copy of the newest version of epCheck but not sure what or where it is. I am using 1.1.5 build 166 right now but I see the one on page 1 of this forum is 1.1.5 build 1 so where is the latest?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #309 on: December 14, 2015, 12:04 AM »
Version 1.1.5 build 166 is the latest beta.  If you need a fresh copy, you can get it here: http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/epcheck/epCheck_.zip

subtech

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #310 on: December 14, 2015, 09:01 AM »
OK. Thanks a lot

subtech

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Just an update for skwire and anyone else following my problem.

After more experimenting, I found out that moving the exe or renaming the folder it was in only solved the slow start on the first run. All subsequent start times went back to 44 seconds again. I have done nothing else since.  Then yesterday comes Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200). So far, ever since that update was installed, epCheck starts in about 2 seconds each and every time.

I have no idea what was going on but thought I would give this info in case it helps anyone else.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #312 on: December 18, 2015, 04:56 PM »
After more experimenting, I found out that moving the exe or renaming the folder it was in only solved the slow start on the first run. All subsequent start times went back to 44 seconds again. I have done nothing else since.  Then yesterday comes Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200). So far, ever since that update was installed, epCheck starts in about 2 seconds each and every time.

I have no idea what was going on but thought I would give this info in case it helps anyone else.

Don't you hate screwy crap like that?   >:(  At any rate, thanks for reporting back!

swallis7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #313 on: December 28, 2015, 10:49 PM »
Thank you for the very nice program!

I was having these problems with EpCheck:

1. It can't search for new series most of the time.

2. The series data will not refresh/update most of the time.

3. If I delete one or more series and close the program, then restart the program
    the 'deleted' series are still there.  They are only temporarily deleted.

TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS, ALWAYS "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR"!!!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:02 PM by swallis7, Reason: Problems fixed! »

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #314 on: December 29, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Thanks again for this wonderful program :Thmbsup:. I use it every day!

I love the added month view. I checked the tv programs for next month and  noticed that some of the programs were moved to another day of the week, and confidently started modifying my (farr) tv script.
Monthly view, in all months the 1st of the month is assumed on a Sunday. (in 1.1.5 build 166 beta).

Should special editions be shown in the monthly view e.g. Dr who 2005  25-12 xmas edition is not shown in the monthly view even after toggle special episode on and refresh, it is shown in the weekly view, and it is in the series data noted as special episode. I this working as designed?

I don't know if you want these bug reports on beta versions, if not, please ignore this post.

Sam Jardine

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2016, 10:53 PM »
After about a year using the latest 'known' beta, it no longer would load my series (all lists are blank). I always had 1 user profile in epCheck and I'm on Win 7. I had a backup of that beta, so I used that for about a week before it broke too. Hmm? Don't know what I changed for that to happen, other than adding and removing a few series.

That said, a few months ago I went back to using the older version with no calendar. I transferred my data folder over and all works great. I never used the calendar that much anyway. Also, the older version always loads proper, whereas the beta had issues with that broken GUI about 1 in 50 times upon loading (known issue).

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2016, 04:35 AM »
When a show is a repeat or not on how dose epCheck Indicate it by color or something else ?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2016, 08:32 AM »
When a show is a repeat or not on how dose epCheck Indicate it by color or something else ?

A repeat of what?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #318 on: August 18, 2016, 10:01 AM »

A repeat of what?

I'm assuming not a new episode, but a repeat of a prior episode.

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #319 on: August 18, 2016, 12:46 PM »
 I apologize I meant a repeat of a prior episode or a episode not on the day and time it should  be how dose epCheck Indicate it by a color or something else ?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #320 on: August 18, 2016, 03:51 PM »
I apologize I meant a repeat of a prior episode or a episode not on the day and time it should  be how dose epCheck Indicate it by a color or something else ?

I think I understand what you're asking.  If so, keep in mind that TheTVDB and epCheck are not TV program guides.  That is, they're not going to have information on future showings of a given episode.  Does that answer your question?  If you need an EPG (Electronic Program Guide), you will have to look elsewhere.

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #321 on: August 18, 2016, 04:07 PM »
skwire if I get what you meant is if a repeat of a prior episode or a episode is not on the day and time it will not show up in weekly or monthly option for the day it is to be on ?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #322 on: August 18, 2016, 06:28 PM »
skwire if I get what you meant is if a repeat of a prior episode or a episode is not on the day and time it will not show up in weekly or monthly option for the day it is to be on ?

Correct.  Again, neither epCheck nor TheTVDB.com is a program guide.  The fact that it can look and act like a program guide, within your configured purview, might have confused you and I apologise for that.  If you're looking for something that will tell you exactly what is upcoming on your local TV channels, what you need is called an EPG (Electronic Program Guide).

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2016, 08:59 PM »
skwire got it I have other questions

1 here in this screenshot for this version on the weekly tab what is the number of future days set to when installed ?

2 Am not getting any listings for jimmy kimmel live and The late late Show with James Corden
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:44 PM by sportman12 »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #324 on: August 19, 2016, 09:21 AM »
1 here in this screenshot for this version on the weekly tab what is the number of future days set to when installed ?

Seven days ahead is the default.  You can change it to whatever you like.

2 Am not getting any listings for jimmy kimmel live and The late late Show with James Corden

Regarding Kimmel, it looks like the episodes are there but anything above episode #100 are displayed/sorted improperly (this is a bug).  Basically, they get display with a leading zero in the episode number like this: s01e0105   Because of this, they get sorted at the top of a season listing.  I'll see if I can find some time to fix this.

Regarding Corden, if you look at the TheTVDB.com site for season two, you'll see that there are no new episodes since 2016-08-04.  Perhaps he's been off the air the last few weeks because of the Olympics?  If that's not the case, you're going to have to wait until somebody enters in the new episode information into the TheTVDB.com site.  That is, epCheck doesn't make up episode information on its own; it only displays the information available on the TheTVDB.com website.