topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Interesting "stuff"  (Read 1188958 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting "stuff"
« Reply #500 on: December 23, 2014, 08:05 PM »
The Smelliest Food in the World

They missed bundegi! I had to hold my nose for years for fear that I'd throw up whenever I smelled it. It took a decade or so to kind of get used to it.

10 things that aren't illegal but should be

The only thing that should be illegal is making things illegal. :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #501 on: December 24, 2014, 09:19 AM »
This is from one of those Youtube channels that I really enjoy. (See~! They're not all about aliens! :P )

This short video ends in a nifty little quote that I think some may find entertaining, especially if you've actually watched the video and not skipped to the end.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #502 on: December 24, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Sony works out deal to show 'Interview' online.jpg

Sony works out deal to show 'Interview' online

Is anyone here planning on doing this?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #503 on: December 25, 2014, 12:17 AM »
"Don't trust these ignorant American bastards!" - Text under the name.

"War will begin!" - Text on missile.

Nope. Not going. I'll wait for it to come out on DVD/rental. Also, I doubt it's playing here - everything takes a lot longer.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #504 on: December 25, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Unless I hear it's an unusually well done picture, worth watching for that alone, I probably won't.

The subject matter doesn't really interest me all that much. 8)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #505 on: December 25, 2014, 01:36 PM »
Unless I hear it's an unusually well done picture, worth watching for that alone, I probably won't.

Me either. This whole fiasco is looking more like a publicity stunt to me. Because any halfassed intelligent (truly independent) hacking group would have known better than to risk triggering a Streisand effect stampede to the ticket booth.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #506 on: December 25, 2014, 09:11 PM »
This whole fiasco is looking more like a publicity stunt to me.

It's a distinct possibility.

Because any halfassed intelligent (truly independent) hacking group would have known better than to risk triggering a Streisand effect stampede to the ticket booth.

Possibly. But in a society as closed-off from everything as NK is, there's also a very good chance that the hackers' street savvy comes nowhere close to their computer skills. (Assuming it was an NK-based group that actually pulled this caper off, of course.)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #507 on: December 25, 2014, 11:01 PM »
This whole fiasco is looking more like a publicity stunt to me.

It's a distinct possibility.

The reason that I don't think that is because of *what* was released.  It wasn't just embarrassing to Sony, it was potentially damaging.  And not just to this movie, either.  Not worth it as a publicity stunt.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #508 on: December 26, 2014, 07:14 AM »
^I probably should have made myself clearer.

I don't think the entire thing was planned as a publicity stunt for precisely the reasons you've given.

I was talking about what I suspect was an attempt to garner sympathy from the public by pulling the movie from theaters.

Unfortunately for Sony Entertainment, most people thought that was fairly gutless. And it was only when Mr. Obama chided them for "caving" that Sony suddenly saw fit to tell us "it was the theaters" (and not very many as it turned out) whose "concerns" they were attempting to accommodate.

The original announcement they were pulling the movie was what I thought was the publicity stunt. Especially since they had no assurances they could trust that not showing the picture would stop further disclosures. They would have been crazy to think that alone would be enough to make them stop.

And now the mothership from Tokyo is taking a more active role in overseeing their semi-autonomous American subsidiary. Knowing a bit about how Japan conducts business, that seems to indicate a major management decision went wrong, and the big boys saw the need to get directly involved. That's not something they do lightly.

If heads in marketing start to gently roll at Sony Entertainment within 6 months after the dust settles, I'll be firmly convinced this is precisely what went down.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 07:23 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #509 on: December 26, 2014, 07:52 AM »
^I probably should have made myself clearer.

I don't think the entire thing was planned as a publicity stunt for precisely the reasons you've given.

I was talking about what I suspect was an attempt to garner sympathy from the public by pulling the movie from theaters.

Unfortunately for Sony Entertainment, most people thought that was fairly gutless. And it was only when Mr. Obama chided them for "caving" that Sony suddenly saw fit to tell us "it was the theaters" (and not very many as it turned out) whose "concerns" they were attempting to accommodate.

The original announcement they were pulling the movie was what I thought was the publicity stunt. Especially since they had no assurances they could trust that not showing the picture would stop further disclosures. They would have been crazy to think that alone would be enough to make them stop.

And now the mothership from Tokyo is taking a more active role in overseeing their semi-autonomous American subsidiary. Knowing a bit about how Japan conducts business, that seems to indicate a major management decision went wrong, and the big boys saw the need to get directly involved. That's not something they do lightly.

If heads in marketing start to gently roll at Sony Entertainment within 6 months after the dust settles, I'll be firmly convinced this is precisely what went down.

Ah, I understand... and totally agree.  Sony Japan likes to continue with the carefully calculated fiction that Sony of America is independent... and having to go against that is going to cause blood to run in the corp, I think.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #510 on: December 26, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I just noticed in passing this morning on CNN (only caught the tail of it unfortunately) that some fans at the box office were saying it was "our patriotic duty" as Americans to go see The Interview...

Ah! Here's the link.

Interesting that Sony got major theater chains to screen the movie at the same time Sony was intent on streaming it. That's something these chains have always balked at in the past. But this media carnival neatly put theaters in a double-bind. Show the picture - or lose seats to the web stream. And look like wimps as well. (Could this be the shape of things to come for theater chains?)

Looks like Sony is in a very tidy win-win revenue position right now. That may ultimately save a few heads in LA, as long as they're not working in IT. Because those IT guys are toast. And deservedly so IMHO.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #511 on: December 26, 2014, 10:17 PM »
Because those IT guys are toast. And deservedly so IMHO.

While it is tempting to jump there, I think the point of initial access should be considered. Because if some 'C' level suit decided to use fluffy1 for their password ... Then it ain't IT's ass that should be on the line.

I say this because I'm sure we've both been in situations where someone was throwing their weight around to get something really stupid (like a 3 character password) put in place.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #512 on: December 27, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Ah! Here's the link.

From the link:

"This film represents our commitment to our filmmakers and free speech,"

And here's something "interesting". ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #513 on: December 27, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Then it ain't IT's ass that should be on the line.

Still. Right, wrong, or in-between, the buck stops there.

I say this because I'm sure we've both been in situations where someone was throwing their weight around to get something really stupid (like a 3 character password) put in place.

Been there. And if that's the case, you document what was done, memo it along with your caveats, and copy relevant parties. Doing that saved my butt on at least three occasions in my career. Never leave yourself being the only one without a chair (and at the mercy of a bout of "corporate amnesia") when the music stops.

chairs.jpg

Doesn't look like any of that happened much at Sony though. It mostly looks like they ran a very loose ship when you consider the variety and number of absolutely bonehead things they we allowing to happen. Or possibly simply ignoring when they did. If it were one obscure bug, or some crazy zero-day exploit that cracked them, I'd be much more sympathetic. But these people weren't consistently doing even the basic stuff they teach you in tech school, let alone what seasoned professionals should be aware of - and be doing.

If you ain't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. And in my experience, if you play along without objection, you'll be one of the first they let go when things go sideways. Because like it or not, as IT people, it is our responsibility. And there's just no getting around that.

Or so I think. 8) ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:43 AM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #514 on: December 27, 2014, 11:01 AM »
I hear Ya ... I just like to watch shit run up hill on the odd occasion it happens.

And yes, I document everything. I also make frequent comments regarding/referring to said documented issue ... Just to make sure nobody get/has/even thinks about pretending to "forget" why something exists. :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #515 on: December 27, 2014, 01:25 PM »
I just like to watch shit run up hill on the odd occasion it happens.

out of it.jpg

I don't. I've about reached my limit with all the nonsense. Both in business and IT. Glad I won't be doing this stuff all that much longer. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 01:38 PM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #516 on: December 27, 2014, 01:30 PM »

Um, don't tell me.  They wanted to put "God" like in the movie Hackers?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #517 on: December 27, 2014, 01:41 PM »

Um, don't tell me.  They wanted to put "God" like in the movie Hackers?

How about Sony keeping a list of important passwords in a file protected with the word "password" if the reports I saw were correct?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #518 on: December 27, 2014, 02:43 PM »
^Hay, at least it was just the one file. I've seen worse...much (much...) worse. Prior to XP SP2 blank passwords were allowed for network access. I've actually had to fight against disabling that policy to get an owner to "suffer" the "anguish" of typing their own initials - all lower case mind you ... And it was a knock down drag out fight to get them to use all three of them (Yeah, that's right...they wanted a 2 character password).

My father was often fond of saying: "Sympathy is in the dictionary...right between shit and syphilis". And I will love that quote till the day I die, because ... Some people really do deserve to get hacked.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #519 on: December 28, 2014, 06:26 AM »
^ 2 characters. Lower case. Fight for 3.

:huh:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #520 on: December 29, 2014, 09:23 AM »

Um, don't tell me.  They wanted to put "God" like in the movie Hackers?

How about Sony keeping a list of important passwords in a file protected with the word "password" if the reports I saw were correct?

When you think of it that may be bulletproof.  The prompt usually says "Enter password here" and we know nobody every follows directions.  ;)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #521 on: December 29, 2014, 01:15 PM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #522 on: December 29, 2014, 02:00 PM »
^Very nice dancer there. Too bad it's so hard to tell.

40hz rant time! :tellme: :tellme: :tellme:

What is it about these morons who film dancers? Why must they always do those dumb-ass tight closeups, quick cuts, and camera shifts? This is not an action film. It's dance.

The entire point of a dance is its continuity and line. And the movement through space. You need to step back and get the entire performance area in the visual frame in order for the viewer to adequately see and appreciate that. Shooting dance like it's some movie 'action' sequence - or like they also seem to be doing with sports lately - completely destroys that.

It's true that dance can be very dramatic. But that doesn't make it a drama - which most people who make movies and videos simply can't seem to grasp.

***end rant***

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #523 on: December 29, 2014, 04:05 PM »

What is it about these morons who film dancers? Why must they always do those dumb-ass tight closeups, quick cuts, and camera shifts? This is not an action film. It's dance.

The entire point of a dance is its continuity and line. And the movement through space. You need to step back and get the entire performance area in the visual frame in order for the viewer to adequately see and appreciate that. Shooting dance like it's some movie 'action' sequence - or like they also seem to be doing with sports lately - completely destroys that.

It's true that dance can be very dramatic. But that doesn't make it a drama - which most people who make movies and videos simply can't seem to grasp.

***end rant***
I enjoyed and approve of this rant!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #524 on: December 29, 2014, 05:54 PM »

***end rant***

I think they trained at the MTV school of film production.  More important than content is shifting the shot every couple of seconds to force the observer to refocus.  Supposedly this keeps people watching even though nothing good is shown.  The trick is old now.  I wish they'd think up a new gimmick.  :)

Edit:  Fortunately it's not 2015 yet as I've pointed this out at least a dozen times on DC.  New Years res. is to let it and similar rest.  :)