topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DonationCoder Recipe Sharing Thread  (Read 42877 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DonationCoder Recipe Sharing Thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 06:02 PM »
My daughter contacted me on Facebook, from her boyfriend's house, needing this recipe. And since I had typed it in the box for her, I figured I'd copy & paste it here, too. This is the perfect base recipe, ready for altering in creative ways.

Fat Free Banana Bread (no eggs or milk, so it's also vegan)

• 6 bananas
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350F. (hopefully, you have tested the oven with a thermometer, by now, for accuracy)
2. Mash the bananas and sugar together.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
4. Stir in the banana mixture and the vanilla.
5. When thoroughly blended, pour into an ungreased non-stick loaf pan and bake about 1 hour.
6. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.

Now, how to alter this...

Make it with the bananas first, so you know what the consistency of the batter should be. Replace the bananas with 2 cups of any pureed fruit and add the appropriate spices. You can even use 4 of those 4oz jars of baby food fruits, if you don't feel like pureeing them yourself (mix and match, have fun with it).

• Apple cinnamon bread - 2 cups of chunky apple sauce and a whole lot of cinnamon
  • Oatmeal bread - 2 cups of cooked, cooled oatmeal (handful of raisins optional)
  • Apple cinnamon oatmeal bread - double the recipe and add both of the above - makes 2 loaves
  • Pumpkin bread - 2 cups pureed pumpkin and the same spices needed to make pumpkin pie
  • Strawberry banana bread - 3 bananas and 1 cup of pureed strawberries
  • Chocolate bread - 2 cups cooked, cooled oatmeal and some cocoa (may need extra sugar)
  • Blueberry bread - 2 cups pureed blueberries and some extra whole ones
  • Peach bread - 2 cups pureed peaches (canned or fresh)
  • Mixed fruit bread - 2 cups of drained and pureed fruit cocktail, with an additional .5 cup of unpureed fruit.
  • Mango papaya bread - 1 cup of pureed mango, and 1 cup of pureed papaya.
  • Pina Colada bread - 2 cups of pureed pineapple and some shredded coconut

Just use your imagination and whatever you have on hand. If your batter comes out a bit thick with some of these substitutions, add a little water to thin it down. You might even want to take an adventure into using some pureed, cooked vegetables, such as carrots or sweet potatoes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:20 PM by app103 »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43 AM »
Just use your imagination and whatever you have on hand. If your batter comes out a bit thick with some of these substitutions, add a little water to thin it down. You might even want to take an adventure into using some pureed, cooked vegetables, such as carrots or sweet potatoes.

Take your original ingredient list, diminish by half, replace bananas with carrots, shaved or pureed - I prefer shaved, but it's more work, food processor not withstanding  :-\.  Bake in some mini-loaf pans.  Been doing it for years, and it makes a pleasant change to sweets with coffee.  Flavour, minimal sweet, and complements the taste of the coffee.  Only problem is remembering to mix it the day before - I don' wanna work that hard in the morning for breakfast  :P.  Oh, one (1) other thing ... if you puree the carrots, they don't have to be all that fresh  ;).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Dead simple but good for those avoiding wheat.

Chic pea crêpes.

1 egg
1/2 to 2/3 cup chic pea flour
1 cup milk or milk/water mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fine sugar

Start with the flour, add half of the milk and the egg, salt, and sugar. Blend until smooth. Add remaining milk and blend fully.

Make a frying pan or crêpe pan hot enough to boil off a drop of water instantly. Spray the pan with a mist of olive oil.

Add enough batter to cover thinly the bottom of the pan. Cook on medium to high heat for about 2 minutes (or until the crêpe moves freely in the pan when shaken). Flip the crêpe or turn with a spatula and cook the other side.

Add filling to crêpe, roll and serve.

Filling suggestions:
Asparagus and cream cheese
Black cherries
(not all together  ;) )

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Beef Lasagne

Preparation time:
25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Serves: 6

Ingredients:

•     350g (12oz) lean minced beef
  •     1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
  •     1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
  •     1 Beef Stock Cube - Beef reduction is a suitable alternative here
  •     600g canned chopped tomatoes
  •     2–3 tbsps tomato purée
  •     Handful of fresh chopped herbs, Try a mixture of: thyme, sage, oregano and rosemary
  •     Good pinch freshly ground pepper
  •     1 glass red wine (125ml) - Don't use cheap plonk or you will regret it.  Try to spend a decent amount on the wine...You can always use the rest for Dinner Drinks!
  •     175g (6oz) lasagne sheets

Béchamel:

•     425ml (¾ pint) semi-skimmed milk
  •     1 small onion and carrot
  •     Bay leaf
  •     25g (1oz) flour
  •     40g (1½oz) Parmesan cheese, grated

When cooking the béchamel, you could also try adding a pinch of nutmeg for additional flavor!

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to moderate 170°C (fan assisted), 350°F, gas mark 4.

2. Place mince, onion and garlic in a pan and fry, stirring until the beef is browned.

3. Crumble in the stock cube/pour in the beef reduction and stir in. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, herbs, pepper and wine. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Meanwhile, cook the lasagne in boiling salted water for 10–15 minutes, until just soft. Drain and rinse in cold water.

5. For the sauce, bring the milk to the boil with the onion, carrot and bay leaf. Take off the heat and leave to infuse for 10–15 minutes. Strain the milk and place back in the pan with the flour. Stirring constantly, bring to the boil and simmer for 2–3 minutes until thickened and smooth.

6. In an ovenproof dish, layer the meat mixture, lasagne and sauce ending with the sauce and sprinkle with the cheese.

7. Cook in preheated oven for 30–40 minutes.

8.  Serve with a topping of cheese, and sprinkle on some rosemary over the top.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59 AM »
GINGER ALE

Ingredients:

• Chunk of fresh ginger (1 cm or to taste)
  • 60 g raw sugar (see below)
  • 1.5 L filtered water (see below)
  • 1 tsp fresh yeast
  • Pinch of cream of tartar OR lemon juice
  • Sterilized bottles

Instructions:

• Mill the sugar into icing sugar if you can. Otherwise, just continue.
  • Pulverize/mill the ginger as fine as possible.
  • Mix the sugar & ginger. You can mill them together if you have equipment to do that, i.e. a very powerful food processor.
  • Add the water, cream of tartar, and yeast and mix the b'jeez out of it. Really. Mix as hard as your blender/food processor will allow. If you have a regular food processor/blender, do it for a couple minutes.
  • Let it stand open to the air for 12 hours or so.
  • Bottle & wait 2 weeks.

RECIPE NOTES:

• 60 g of sugar won't give you much sweetness. On my first batch I used 85 g and it wasn't very sweet. I'd say use around 200 g of sugar at my first guess for some sweeter ginger ale.
  • You should use filtered water, and preferably water filtered for chlorine and fluoride. Both are toxins and will impede the fermentation process. You can use quality bottled water, but an RO filter will do a better job in most cases. Resin filters are still good for filtering out chlorine and fluoride. Particulate matter is less important, but filtered water with less particulate will give a better flavour. This is actually more important for lacto-fermented soda than for this particular recipe.
  • If you don't have cream of tartar, you can use lemon juice, but that will slightly flavour the ginger ale, which you may or may not like.
  • The bottles should be sterile. You can get bottle sterilizer at any home brew shop. If not, just wash well & rinse well.
  • Don't filter it when you bottle it.

General comments:

That's a very fast & easy fermented soda. Lacto-fermentation techniques are much more difficult, so this is a nice & easy method.

When you put it in the fridge, store it UPRIGHT and not on its side. The ginger pulp will precipitate out to the bottom. You can decide if you want to mix it into the drink easier if it's stored upright.

The initial 12 hours are the first fermentation. When you bottle it, that's when it undergoes its secondary fermentation and that's where you get the carbonation/bubbles. You can add more sugar at the bottling stage, but depending on how much you've added blah blah blah, you could risk exploding bottles.

This has never happened to me, but during secondary fermentation (the 2 week period), you should store the bottles somewhere safe as they *could* explode in a "less-terrorist" but more messy kind of way.

You don't want to filter the particulate out when bottling as you'll end up removing a lot of the good stuff that helps give it bubbles and wonderfulness.

Flip-top bottle like you get with Grolsch beer are excellent for this kind of thing. (HINT - I just gave you an excellent excuse to go out and buy some beer! :P )

flip-top-bottle.JPG
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Nice to see this thread picking up!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 08:32 AM »
You can add more sugar at the bottling stage, but depending on how much you've added blah blah blah, you could risk exploding bottles.

This has never happened to me, but during secondary fermentation (the 2 week period), you should store the bottles somewhere safe as they *could* explode in a "less-terrorist" but more messy kind of way.

I wonder - with say, 200gr sugar, would the initial fermentation period not need to be longer (in order to avoid the exploding bottles part)?
Or does the yeast die after a certain period without air? (i.e. after having being bottled)
To be on the safe side use heavier bottles (e.g. as you recommend, beer bottles intended for resuse).
Tom

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 09:47 PM »
The bottles should be sterile. You can get bottle sterilizer at any home brew shop. If not, just wash well & rinse well.

Or keep your eyes open for yard sales (or ebay), where someone might be selling an electric steam baby bottle sterilizer.  ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 10:14 PM »
The bottles should be sterile. You can get bottle sterilizer at any home brew shop. If not, just wash well & rinse well.

Or keep your eyes open for yard sales (or ebay), where someone might be selling an electric steam baby bottle sterilizer.  ;)

Those would work for 500 ml bottles, but I think the 750's are a bit large... hold on... Yep. Just checked - way too large.

You can add more sugar at the bottling stage, but depending on how much you've added blah blah blah, you could risk exploding bottles.

I wonder - with say, 200gr sugar, would the initial fermentation period not need to be longer (in order to avoid the exploding bottles part)?
Or does the yeast die after a certain period without air? (i.e. after having being bottled)
To be on the safe side use heavier bottles (e.g. as you recommend, beer bottles intended for resuse).

I'm not too sure about the exact times and amounts for fermentation and explosion. Resources on brewing beer would be good to find out though as there are fewer resources on making soda.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 10:35 PM »
What kind of yeast are you using in this?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 11:11 PM »
^ Just dried bakers yeast. Nothing special. You can get it at any grocer. I suppose someone who knows more about the topic could recommend a better yeast, but it's often easier to use non-specialized ingredients. e.g. cream of tartar might not be in your kitchen, but you might have a lemon or lemon juice.

Mongoplus

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Computer Consultants of New England
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2013, 02:54 AM »
Peanut Butter Apple Dessert

My mom, who's well-known in our community for her cooking, shared the recipe for this yummy layered dessert.  It's very popular with my husband.  He made it in a 9 x 13 pan for his men's Bible study group and ended up giving out the recipe!

Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Chilling Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours & 25 minutes
Servings: 20

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 24 squares)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup peanut butter, divided
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 cans (21 ounces each) apple pie filling
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparations:

In a large bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, 1/2 cup peanut butter and butter; spoon half into a 3-qt. bowl.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth; fold in whipped topping. Spread half over crumb mixture in the bowl. Top with one can of apple pie filling.

Combine the confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and remaining peanut butter until crumbly; sprinkle half over pie filling. Repeat layers. Refrigerate until serving (for at least 2 hours).

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per 1 Serving:

Calories: 310
Total Fats: 16g
Saturated Fat: 9g
Cholesterol: 19mg
Sodium: 160mg
Total Carbohydrates: 37g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Protein: 4g
Mongoplus!!!

I am always on a quest to quench my thirst for knowledge!!!

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Peanut Butter Apple Dessert

I went into diabetic shock just reading the ingredients!   :o   But it does sound delicious.....

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Simple but delicious!

Pasta Bake:

Ingredients:

1 Bag of Pasta
Pasta Sauce of your choice
As much cheese as you can possibly stomach
Tortilla Chips

Prep:

Pre-heat the oven to 175c
Fill saucepan with water, add 1 table spoon of salt to the water
Bring water to the boil
Add pasta to the pan (As much as you want to eat...it tastes good the next day anyway)
Wait until the pasta is close to cooked and throw the pasta sauce into another pan, and cook until hot (DO NOT ALLOW THE SAUCE TO BOIL)
Add cheese to the sauce

Once the pasta is cooked, transfer to an oven dish and grate cheese on top...mix into the pasta. 
Add the sauce to the mix, and stir into the pasta so it is completely coated.
Grate cheese all over the top.
Add crushed Tortilla Chips over the cheese, then grate more cheese on top (Coat completely)

Place into the now heated oven for appx 15 minutes (Until you get a nice golden color on top) - If your oven has a grill point, it is always nice to grill the top for 5-10 minutes to give it some crispiness, but this is just my preference :)

Remove from the oven and serve piping hot.  Add more cheese to it if you want (I do) and add salt/pepper to taste.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 06:54 PM »
Simple but delicious!

Pasta Bake:
-Stephen66515 (July 20, 2013, 06:41 PM)

Would love to find a way to bake that on ~four (4) inch tostadas - comfort food extraordinaire.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2013, 02:11 AM »
Anyone know any good ice cream recipes? I'd like to try my hand at some, but I've got a bunch of recipes and not sure what to try, so kind of fishing for personal experience from others here...

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Easy Ice Cream

Here is a recipe for strawberry ice cream. However, you can substitute any fruit for this and make some amazing variations to this simple recipe. You can also have a good feeling about this recipe knowing that you made it yourself and skipped all of those preservatives and the other nasty things to avoid when dealing with most grocery store ice creams as well.

What You’ll Need:

10 ounces of frozen strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup of heavy cream

Blend in the blender until smooth and freeze for up to a week.

Peach ice cream

Ingredients

1¼ lb unpeeled peaches - (you will need 2 cups of puree)
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup milk
1 cup whipping cream
¾ cup sugar
2 egg yolks

Blanch peaches in large pot of boiling water 1 minute; peel. Purée peach pulp with lemon juice in processor or blender; you should have 2 cups. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Combine milk and cream in heavy medium saucepan and simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently; do not boil. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.

Whisk yolks to blend in bowl. Gradually whisk in 1 cup milk mixture. Pour back into sauce pan and whisk over medium-low heat until mixture thickens enough to coat back of spoon; do not boil. Strain custard and cool.

Blend custard and peach puree. Chill overnight if possible. Transfer to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to airtight container and freeze until ready to serve. If frozen solid, let soften slightly in refrigerator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Banana ice cream

Ingredients

3 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 split vanilla bean
4 egg yolks, at room temp
1 cup superfine sugar
1½ lb bananas
6 tbsp strained fresh lemon juice
3 cup hulled strawberries
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
8 whole strawberry
8 small fresh sprigs mint

Heat 1 cup cream, milk and vanilla bean in top of double boiler over barely simmering water until tiny bubbles form around edge of pan, stirring occasionally.

Turn off heat and let mixture steep 20 minutes. Reheat mixture until bubbles form.
Meanwhile, beat yolks with sugar in bowl of electric mixer until pale yellow and slowly dissolving ribbon forms when beaters are lifted.
Slowly beat in 1 cup milk mixture. Return to double boiler and cook, stirring occasionally, until custard leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 10 minutes.

Cool to room temperature. Remove vanilla bean.

Peel bananas and cut into 1" chunks. Puree with 6 tablespoons lemon juice in processor using on/off turns, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of work bowl. Mix 2 cups puree into custard. Blend in remaining 2 cups cream.

Refrigerate mixture at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.

Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.

Freeze ice cream in covered container for at least 3 hours.

For sauce: Puree 3 cups strawberries in processor until smooth. Strain through fine sieve into small bowl. Mix in ½ cup sugar with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackberry ice cream

Ingredients

4 cups fresh blackberry
1 cup water
sugar
2½ cups whipping cream
garnish fresh blackberry
garnish fresh leaves mint

Line strainer with two layers of dampened cheesecloth. Set over large bowl.

Combine berries* and water in medium saucepan. Slowly bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until soft, about 10 minutes.

*Can substitute unsweetened frozen blackberries, thawed.*

Pour into cheesecloth-lined strainer. Let stand until juice has drained into bowl, about 30 minutes.

Gently squeeze pulp to extract remaining juice.

Measure berry juice into heavy medium saucepan. Add 1 cup sugar for each cup juice.

Cook over low heat, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil syrup 2 minutes.

Cool completely.

Mix 2½ cups syrup with cream. Refrigerate until well chilled.
Process blackberry mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions; ice cream will be soft.

Freeze in covered container several hours to mellow flavors.
Garnish with fresh berries and mint leaves.

Butter Pecan Ice Cream

Ingredients
2 cup pecans, chopped
3 tbsp butter or marg., melted
3 carton milk, evaporated, 14½ oz ea.
2 packet Pudding, instant vanilla
2½ cup sugar
1 tspn vanilla extract
2 qt milk

Preparation & Cooking Instructions:

Sauté pecans in butter, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes or until toasted. Set aside to cool.

Combine remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour mixture into freezer can of a 1½ to 2-gallon hand-turned or electric freezer.

Freeze about 10 minutes or until ice cream is thick.

Remove dasher, and add pecans to ice cream mixture.

Return dasher; freeze until firm according to manufacturer's instructions. Let ripen at least 1 hour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coffee ice cream

Ingredients

1 cup (½ pint) heavy cream
¼ cup sugar
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup extra-strong brewed coffee

In a medium bowl, whisk the cream and sugar until the sugar has dissolved completely and the mixture is frothy.

Add the milk, vanilla, and coffee. Whisk until well blended.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Prepare the ice cream in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Store the ice cream in the freezer, where it has a shelf life of about 1 week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fudge ice cream

Ingredients

6 oz unsweetened chocolate (6 x 1 -oz. squares)
2 tbsp butter
2 cups sugar
¼ cup light corn syrup
¾ cup half and half
2 eggs
2 tspn vanilla extract
1½ cups half and half
2 cups whipping cream

In a heavy medium saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring often.

Stir in sugar, corn syrup and ¾ cup half and half. Stir over medium-low heat until mixture comes to a boil.

Simmer 4 minutes without stirring; set aside.

In a small bowl, beat eggs until blended. Stir in ½ cup hot chocolate mixture.

Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.

Cool to lukewarm. Stir in vanilla, 1 ½ cup half and half and whipping cream.

Pour into ice cream canister. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.

Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
8 egg yolk
3 cups milk
chocolate chips
1 vanilla bean or extract

Heat the milk to a boil with the vanilla bean.

Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in a heavy bottomed pot, until well mixed.

Remove the vanilla bean from the milk. Add the milk to the egg yolk mixture and stir constantly over low heat, until the liquid thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Do Not Boil.

Transfer immediately to another bowl. Cover with waxed paper and cool in the refrigerator, mixing occasionally to prevent a crust from forming.

Freeze the mixture in an ice cream freezer, according to the manufacturer's instructions

VANILLA ICE CREAM

Serves 4

Power setting FULL

Total cooking time 6 minutes

2 eggs, beaten

¾ pint milk

6 oz sugar

1 tblsp vanilla essence

½ pint double cream

Mix the eggs, milk and sugar in a medium-sized bowl and cook for 6 minutes, until lightly thickened, stirring every 2 minutes. Allow to cool, and then add the vanilla essence and cream.

Pour into a freezing tray and freeze until almost solid. Remove, allow to stand for 15 to 30 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Return to the freezer and freeze until firm.

Place in the refrigerator for about ½ to 1 hour to soften slightly before serving. Serve scooped into individual dishes or glasses.

********************************************************************************************

VARIATIONS

Almond Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but use 2 teaspoons almond essence instead of the vanilla essence.

Pistachio Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but stir 1 oz finely chopped pistachio nuts and a little green food colouring into the ice cream before the second freezing.

Ginger Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but reduce the sugar by ½ oz and omit the vanilla essence. Add 1 ½ oz very finely chopped preserved ginger and 1 tablespoon ginger wine or ginger syrup to the ice cream before the second freezing.

Chocolate Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but while the mixture is freezing for the first time, mix 2 tablespoons cocoa to a smooth paste with 3 tablespoons boiling water. Leave to cool. Add to the ice cream, whisking in well, before the second freezing.

Maraschino Cherry Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but reduce the sugar by ½ oz and omit the vanilla essence. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped maraschino cherries and 1 tablespoon of maraschino syrup to the ice cream before the second freezing.

Cointreau and Orange Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but reduce the sugar by ½ oz and omit the vanilla essence. Add 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind and 1 tablespoon Cointreau to the ice cream before the second freezing.

Praline Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but omit the vanilla essence. Add 2 oz finely crushed nut brittle to the ice cream before the second freezing.

Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but add 2 oz coarsely grated plain chocolate or chocolate chips to the ice cream before the second freezing.

Tutti-frutti Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but add 2 oz coarsely chopped coloured glacé cherries, 2 drained and coarsely chopped canned pineapple slices and 1 small sliced banana to the ice cream before the second freezing.

Banana Ice Cream: Prepare and cook as above but add 2 mashed or puréed bananas to the ice cream before the second freezing.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 08:43 PM »
@tinman - Hahahaha! Information overload!

Which one(s) have you tried, or which one(s) would you recommend? Especially for my first attempt?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
8 egg yolk
3 cups milk
chocolate chips
1 vanilla bean or extract

Heat the milk to a boil with the vanilla bean.

Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in a heavy bottomed pot, until well mixed.

Remove the vanilla bean from the milk. Add the milk to the egg yolk mixture and stir constantly over low heat, until the liquid thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Do Not Boil.

Transfer immediately to another bowl. Cover with waxed paper and cool in the refrigerator, mixing occasionally to prevent a crust from forming.

Freeze the mixture in an ice cream freezer, according to the manufacturer's instructions
This I have to try.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2013, 08:27 PM »
@tinman - Hahahaha! Information overload!

Which one(s) have you tried, or which one(s) would you recommend? Especially for my first attempt?

You just have to go with what you feel comfortable with.  I've made several of these over the years, but I always preferred doin it the old fashioned way with an Ice Cream Maker.  Yup, got one in the undercounter....   :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 05:29 AM »
I just made this for dinner tonight, and wow... it was really good! :D

SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS WITH VEGGIES

Gadgets

Steamer
Pot
Or a Thermomix

Ingredients

500 g pork tenderloin (pork fillet) (slightly frozen) - use pork mince otherwise
1 tbsp sesame oil (less depending on your taste, e.g. 1 tsp)
4 tsbp corn starch (cornflour)
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 egg yolk
1 brown onion
1 green bell pepper (capsicum)
1 red bell pepper
2 carrots - thick juliennes or sliced
1 small tin bamboo shoots (I omitted this)
1 large tin (880 g) pineapple - or 1 fresh pineapple
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
50 g tomato paste
100 g sherry
40 g dark sugar -- or 40 g raw sugar with 2 tbsp molasses
Rice

Method

• Mince pork to desired texture (I used well minced - works very well)
  • Add sesame oil, 3 tbsp corn starch, 1 tbsp soy sauce, egg yolk and mix well.
  • Roll into balls and place in 1 layer of your steamer.
  • ---------
  • Chop vegetables into bite sized chunks.
  • Place vegetables into another layer of your steamer.
  • Save the pineapple juice.
  • ---------
  • Any vegetables that don't fit in the steamer, puree them.
  • If you use fresh pineapple, puree the core.
  • ---------
  • Place remaining ingredients (corn starch, soy sauce, pine apple juice, tomato paste, sherry, sugar, molasses, vinegar) into your puree. (Optionally hold back the corn starch and sherry until almost done.) Add some water if you used a fresh pineapple to make up for the pineapple juice. Boil and stir for however long you feel like. It should reduce down somewhat as you want it to be a bit thick and not too watery. It will depend on if you used pineapple juice or how much water you added.
  • ---------
  • Steam your veggies and pork balls while the sauce is cooking.
  • ---------
  • Serve in a serving bowl and pour sauce over top. Serve rice on the side in a rice bowl or small bowl. Optionally have soy sauce available for dipping.

The way I cooked it was slightly different as I used our Thermomix - see this thread for a quick description. I've adapted the instructions somewhat there.

I was really surprised at just how well it turned out. My wife said it beat what you get in a restaurant. :D Then again, she might just be trying to keep me cooking all the time~! :D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Oh Yummy!  Just had to share this one....  :P

How to harvest your own insects for food
Can a new insect-breeding device make eating insects more appetizing?

http://www.smartplan...sects-for-food/25328

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 10:34 AM »
Fast-Cooked-Food #1

Spinach Tortelloni

These days you can get cheap fresh tortelloni in most supermarkets (here at any rate).
  • they usually have a spinach+cheese/ricotta or meat fillings or sometimes tomato+cheese.
  • I like the spinach ones the best - I wouldnt get the meat filled ones - in my experience they dont taste so good
  • the trick with these is to cook them for 5 minutes or so (taste to check if done) - they usually say 2 mins, but in my experience the filling is never properly cooked at that stage

Ingredients:
  • Tortelloni (read above) I use 400g packet for two people (just under a pound weight)
  • Fresh Spinach, lots of it - shrinks a huge amount (maybe 400 grams for two, less is okay). Have nothing against frozen spinach but I dont think it would work with this
  • Parmesan (not dried/powdered) - or comparable 'hard' cheese
  • Olive oil - or some other oil with a bit of character
  • Sea Salt

Pot for pasta
Pot for spinach - not non-stick - I use a low-sided stainless steel pan (with a lid) and chop the cooked leaves in the pot

Sequence might not always be exactly the same here:

1) put water on for the pasta - I usually put smallish amount of water in the pot, and boil the rest in the kettle; add the kettle water when the pot is already boiling (quickest method)
2) Wash the spinach well - if it's not seperate leaves, twist off the base of the plants, and give another quick rinse.
3) add the tortelloni to boiling water - if the pasta comes out as a block, let it boil a bit, then tease the tortelloni apart with a spoon or wooden spoon so they dont rip.
4) Throw spinach in a pot on high - dont let it drain *too* much before hand - I take it out of a basin of water, shake, and throw it in the pot. Add tight fitting lid.
When the spinach starts to boil/steam, turn the heat down. It cooks very quickly - can take a bit longer if it's large leaves. As soon as it starts to reduce you can turn the leaves en masse, then turn off the heat and replace the lid.
5) taste pasta. drain when done.
6) chop the spinach in the pan, criss-cross. I use a fork and cheap serrated knife (steak knife would do)
7) 'Shave' the parmesan, with a small sharp-ish knife. Like peeling a potato. It's usually sold in a wedge here - I shave the short side/end. Your call how much here, I like lots of it

Finally,
either in one of the pots, or a heated bowl, or a plastic bowl (doesnt cool down ingredients so much) combine the ingredients:

• Tortelloni
  • Chopped Spinach
  • Two overflowing desert spoons olive oil
  • Lots of parmesan
  • Salt to taste

Toss the ingredients, serve on warmed plates.
Important is, not to let it cool down too much.

Alternatively (especially good when cooking for one) mix the ingredients directly in a bowl or plate with deep centre. And eat it ;-)
Tom

Dell[a]

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 10:30 AM »
french fries http://imgur.com/gallery/JG35j

Source: imgur

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Back to basics... my easy, no-think dinner:

- Boil a big pot of water (that takes the longest time)
- Start heating a large skillet with a couple tablespoons olive oil, medium heat
- While the water is heating, slice some good mushrooms and break a bunch of asparagus stalks into bite sized pieces
- Toss the mushrooms & asparagus in the skillet, stir it around (& keep it moving)
- After a few minutes, toss a batch of angel hair (capellini) in the water (cooks fast, don't overcook)
- Drain the pasta, serve with mushies & asparagus, top with grated parmesan & fresh ground pepper

You can add some soy sauce or sesame oil to the skillet, or add other spices to add interest. Or add a few rashers of bacon on the side, or sprinkle with bacon bits (of course, fresh cooked & crumbled yourself if possible), or you could chop up some leftover pork roast or salmon and toss it in the skillet to heat with the vegetables. Whatever, it's always easy and satisfying. You have to play with the times a little to get the mushies & asparagus appropriately done.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast