topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommendation for Project Management software?  (Read 27029 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Recommendation for Project Management software?
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:35 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good project management software?  I'm a sueprvisor and have 5 people working under me and between us, we have to keep track of 20-30 projects.  I don't need a heavy duty project management package, like Microsoft Project, or something that complex.  What I'm looking for is something simple with just basic information in the database.

The data I'd like to keep track of are the following:  project manager, Project, project description, project #, state of project (how far along it is, either as a percentage or a description), random notes.  I'd also like to be able to separate out the projects according to the project manager, so I can see who's in charge of what.

So, are there any ideas out there?  I use mylife organized right now, but it's more of a To-DO list maker, than a true project management program.  Although, I can probably tweak it easily enough to act like what I'm trying to do, I'd be interested if there was a better option.  The main issue with MLO is that I can't separate the projects according to the different managers--it's basically meant for one person.  It would be cool if every person had their own MLO file and they could be combined to form one master-supervisor list for me.

Anyway, look forward to the suggestions.  Thanks!

david.intp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommendation for Project Management software?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 07:17 PM »
I have found that Project Kickstart http://www.projectkickstart.com/ works very well for efficiently modelling and tracking small to medium sized projects.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member

qunom

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 12:56 PM »
http://proj.chbs.dk/

Thank you! This software review is just what we looked for!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 02:37 AM »

Jamesdany

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:41 AM »
http://proj.chbs.dk/

great link!

The provided link is not working! I would recommend Planningforce. A new project mangement tool with easy to use interface and well designed to track and maintain all ur project management needs. Would be helpful for project managers.
http://www.planningforce.com/

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 02:19 AM »
Jamesdany: are you affiliated with Planningforce? Just to make things clear :)
- carpe noctem

Jamesdany

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 03:50 AM »
Jamesdany: are you affiliated with Planningforce? Just to make things clear :)

Not in anyway. I am a satisfied user thats all.  :)

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:10 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good project management software?  I'm a sueprvisor and have 5 people working under me and between us, we have to keep track of 20-30 projects.  I don't need a heavy duty project management package, like Microsoft Project, or something that complex.  What I'm looking for is something simple with just basic information in the database.

The data I'd like to keep track of are the following:  project manager, Project, project description, project #, state of project (how far along it is, either as a percentage or a description), random notes.  I'd also like to be able to separate out the projects according to the project manager, so I can see who's in charge of what.

So, are there any ideas out there?  I use mylife organized right now, but it's more of a To-DO list maker, than a true project management program.  Although, I can probably tweak it easily enough to act like what I'm trying to do, I'd be interested if there was a better option.  The main issue with MLO is that I can't separate the projects according to the different managers--it's basically meant for one person.  It would be cool if every person had their own MLO file and they could be combined to form one master-supervisor list for me.

Just wondered if you had thought of that SQLNotes/Infocube thingy? :)

Seriously, from what I've been able to follow in the thread, it would seem to be just the sort of project it would be suited for.
Could you comment as to why it might not - I'm still trying to come to grips with just how it can be put to use.

Regards,

David

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 10:32 AM »
The provided link is not working!

It used to, but then this thread started in May 2006 :)

Jamesdany

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 01:57 AM »

Yes, but when a link is pointed as a reference link, people normally look for information there. Thats the reason, I have made it clear that its not working anymore!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 02:18 AM »
Seems like Claus Agerskov's Proj is dead?

The http://proj.chbs.dk/ site basically says the site is being moved to new servers, and rewritten in PHP5 because of security flaws... and last updated 2007-05-25? Ugh :). Haven't been able to find mention of Proj elsewhere. His current site seems to be http://www.agercon.dk/index.php , which doesn't mention it either.

Oh well, that's as far as my hunting goes.
- carpe noctem

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Just goes to show that material on the internet usually has a very short life. Good thing we don't rely on it to store all our important stuff.... oh wait..

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Just goes to show that material on the internet usually has a very short life. Good thing we don't rely on it to store all our important stuff.... oh wait..
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
That made me laugh real hard, Gothi[c]

Back to topic:
Yes, but when a link is pointed as a reference link, people normally look for information there. Thats the reason, I have made it clear that its not working anymore!

Nothing that the Wayback Machine can't solve, right?  ;)

I'll have what she's having

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 09:36 PM »

Just wondered if you had thought of that SQLNotes/Infocube thingy? :)

Seriously, from what I've been able to follow in the thread, it would seem to be just the sort of project it would be suited for.
Could you comment as to why it might not - I'm still trying to come to grips with just how it can be put to use.

Regards,

David

Aaaargh!!!
I came to this thread from a different route than usual on the site and, not looking at the dates properly, thought the whole thread - including Superboyac's initial post of May 2006 - was a current discussion! :-[
My apologies for what must have been a rather puzzling post.

David

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Actually quite funny.  :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 12:06 AM »
First of all, let me address this issue according to what I'm doing currently:

--First of all, I have obviously been using InfoQube since this thread started, and yes, it is definitely capable of doing what I'm asking.  Actually, I do use it to do what I initially what I asked for in this thread.  Here's how it's done.  In the grid, I have a column for date, project name, project description, status.  Then any notes go in the html pane.  There are no trees or heirarchy used, it's just one long list.  If I need to look at just the one project, I filter the list and only those are shown.  So for each significant project event it gets logged in this grid, and it becomes a project history database.  I actually call the grid Project Log.

--Now that is not exactly what I asked for in the original question.  Since I work in a heavily bureaucratic environment, my supervisor also has to know some of this stuff, but not in the detail listed above.  He just needs a single line per project showing it's general status and project number.  And since he doesn't use infoqube, excel is the simplest way to do this.  So I made a really cool Excel spreadsheet where everyone lists their projects with a drop-down box for a status, and all these projects get listed in a master sheet for the supervisor to look over.  It works really well and was kind of a pain to do (since it really should be done in access or using VBA, neither of which I know).

So there's my update.  Personally speaking, the simplest solution to this is InfoQube, especially if it's just for one person and not meant to be shared between several people.  Even then, I think InfoQUbe could do it, but you'd have to convince all the other users to use it and buy it and etc...you know how that goes.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 10:36 PM »
(...) And since he doesn't use infoqube, excel is the simplest way to do this.  So I made a really cool Excel spreadsheet where everyone lists their projects with a drop-down box for a status, and all these projects get listed in a master sheet for the supervisor to look over.  It works really well and was kind of a pain to do (since it really should be done in access or using VBA, neither of which I know).

So there's my update.  Personally speaking, the simplest solution to this is InfoQube, especially if it's just for one person and not meant to be shared between several people.  Even then, I think InfoQUbe could do it, but you'd have to convince all the other users to use it and buy it and etc...you know how that goes.

For the record, a really neat feature of InfoQube, which hasn't been discussed much yet, is that you can have Excel "read" IQ data live. So you create an excel file, create a link to the project grid, save it and send this file to your co-workers / boss. When they open your Excel file, they'll see your project information, not an (outdated) copy, but the current one. They won't be able to edit the data (they'd need IQ for this), but this is a neat reporting tool.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 04:06 AM »
For the record, a really neat feature of InfoQube, which hasn't been discussed much yet, is that you can have Excel "read" IQ data live. So you create an excel file, create a link to the project grid, save it and send this file to your co-workers / boss. When they open your Excel file, they'll see your project information, not an (outdated) copy, but the current one. They won't be able to edit the data (they'd need IQ for this), but this is a neat reporting tool.
Yikes, Pierre!  That is amazing!

Ron Fletcher

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 07:17 AM »
I checked out Planning Force at http://www.planningforce.com/ and found it useful thnx guys

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 11:12 AM »
Ron, are you affiliated with PlanningForce? Just wondering since this is your first post and all :)
- carpe noctem

Ron Fletcher

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 02:51 AM »
Ron, are you affiliated with PlanningForce? Just wondering since this is your first post and all :)

NOPE !!! not in any way I am in search of a PM tool and I just checked it out from ur post over here........

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 08:01 AM »
Hm, still no mention of OpenProj, which I've been using (no connections 8)) for some time now: http://openproj.org/

kindrosker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 02:45 AM »
You can also try this http://qdpm.qds-team.com/index.php
This is for small team and there is useful reports

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 03:49 AM »
Just so everyone knows, kindrosker is the developer of qdPM and not only is it free, it's open source.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qdpm/

kindrosker, welcome to DonationCoder.

In the future, please don't be shy about letting people here know that you are the developer of an application. You will find it quite beneficial to you in the long run, if you do. We might have questions about it that only the developer could answer and knowing that you are, means that we can ask you.

If you withhold this information, we can't give you feedback, comments, suggestions, and ask questions that can help you to make your software better.

Don't be afraid of us. We are a very friendly, helpful community.