ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommendation for Project Management software?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Armando:
Actually quite funny.  :)

superboyac:
First of all, let me address this issue according to what I'm doing currently:

--First of all, I have obviously been using InfoQube since this thread started, and yes, it is definitely capable of doing what I'm asking.  Actually, I do use it to do what I initially what I asked for in this thread.  Here's how it's done.  In the grid, I have a column for date, project name, project description, status.  Then any notes go in the html pane.  There are no trees or heirarchy used, it's just one long list.  If I need to look at just the one project, I filter the list and only those are shown.  So for each significant project event it gets logged in this grid, and it becomes a project history database.  I actually call the grid Project Log.

--Now that is not exactly what I asked for in the original question.  Since I work in a heavily bureaucratic environment, my supervisor also has to know some of this stuff, but not in the detail listed above.  He just needs a single line per project showing it's general status and project number.  And since he doesn't use infoqube, excel is the simplest way to do this.  So I made a really cool Excel spreadsheet where everyone lists their projects with a drop-down box for a status, and all these projects get listed in a master sheet for the supervisor to look over.  It works really well and was kind of a pain to do (since it really should be done in access or using VBA, neither of which I know).

So there's my update.  Personally speaking, the simplest solution to this is InfoQube, especially if it's just for one person and not meant to be shared between several people.  Even then, I think InfoQUbe could do it, but you'd have to convince all the other users to use it and buy it and etc...you know how that goes.

PPLandry:
(...) And since he doesn't use infoqube, excel is the simplest way to do this.  So I made a really cool Excel spreadsheet where everyone lists their projects with a drop-down box for a status, and all these projects get listed in a master sheet for the supervisor to look over.  It works really well and was kind of a pain to do (since it really should be done in access or using VBA, neither of which I know).

So there's my update.  Personally speaking, the simplest solution to this is InfoQube, especially if it's just for one person and not meant to be shared between several people.  Even then, I think InfoQUbe could do it, but you'd have to convince all the other users to use it and buy it and etc...you know how that goes.
-superboyac (November 28, 2008, 12:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

For the record, a really neat feature of InfoQube, which hasn't been discussed much yet, is that you can have Excel "read" IQ data live. So you create an excel file, create a link to the project grid, save it and send this file to your co-workers / boss. When they open your Excel file, they'll see your project information, not an (outdated) copy, but the current one. They won't be able to edit the data (they'd need IQ for this), but this is a neat reporting tool.

superboyac:
For the record, a really neat feature of InfoQube, which hasn't been discussed much yet, is that you can have Excel "read" IQ data live. So you create an excel file, create a link to the project grid, save it and send this file to your co-workers / boss. When they open your Excel file, they'll see your project information, not an (outdated) copy, but the current one. They won't be able to edit the data (they'd need IQ for this), but this is a neat reporting tool.
-PPLandry (November 28, 2008, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yikes, Pierre!  That is amazing!

Ron Fletcher:
I checked out Planning Force at http://www.planningforce.com/ and found it useful thnx guys

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version