topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ?  (Read 34262 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ?
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09 AM »
I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.

Spybot S&D is not up to much these days - what do you use/need it for?

I dunno if it's a good idea to run two seperate antispyware/antimalware apps. => Maybe someone more expert will comment <=

LAST PART:[/b]
I was in a bit-of-a-panic when SpeedMaxPc deleted stuff I wanted or needed... so I didn't sit and think about... I just picked the first System Restore Point before the SpeedMaxPc install.  (It was the only Windows System Restore Point listed ...

if you're worried about this, you could go back into system restore and check what is on offer - the first one shown should probably be the one you used. Check it's date. Was it before, during, or after the virus?

SECOND QUOTE:[/b]
Why doesn't it have anything to do with Microsoft?  I know SpeedMaxPc isn't a Microsoft product... but why would they allow SpeedMaxPc to use their Windows Help & Support header... if it wasn't at least endorsed by Microsoft?   :tellme

that's part of the scam... (it's just an image they stuck up there. MS probably doesnt have time/interest to go after these people.)
Tom

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 06:53 AM »
I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.

I dunno if it's a good idea to run two seperate antispyware/antimalware apps. => Maybe someone more expert will comment <=

I was in a bit-of-a-panic when SpeedMaxPc deleted stuff I wanted or needed... so I didn't sit and think about... I just picked the first System Restore Point before the SpeedMaxPc install.  (It was the only Windows System Restore Point listed ...

if you're worried about this, you could go back into system restore and check what is on offer - the first one shown should probably be the one you used. Check it's date. Was it before, during, or after the virus?

Why doesn't it have anything to do with Microsoft?  I know SpeedMaxPc isn't a Microsoft product... but why would they allow SpeedMaxPc to use their Windows Help & Support header... if it wasn't at least endorsed by Microsoft?   :tellme

that's part of the scam... (it's just an image they stuck up there. MS probably doesnt have time/interest to go after these people.)

SpyBot S&D was the first anti-malware program I installed, but I haven't used it since I got Malwarebytes and SuperAnti-Spyware so I may uninstall it.

The SuperAnti-Spyware website says it's "...Designed not to conflict with your existing anti-spyware or anti-virus solution!" so I thought I'd add it to my collection.

NOTE: I just posted this by mistake so I'll continue my feedback further down....   :-[
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:59 AM by crabby3, Reason: my stupidity »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 07:56 AM »
I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.

I was in a bit-of-a-panic when SpeedMaxPc deleted stuff I wanted or needed... so I didn't sit and think about... I just picked the first System Restore Point before the SpeedMaxPc install.  (It was the only Windows System Restore Point listed ...

Why doesn't it have anything to do with Microsoft?  I know SpeedMaxPc isn't a Microsoft product... but why would they allow SpeedMaxPc to use their Windows Help & Support header... if it wasn't at least endorsed by Microsoft?   :tellme

SpyBot S&D was the first anti-malware program I installed, but I haven't used it since I got Malwarebytes and SuperAnti-Spyware so I may uninstall it.

The SuperAnti-Spyware website says it's "...Designed not to conflict with your existing anti-spyware or anti-virus solution!" so I thought I'd add it to my collection.

NOTE: I just posted this by mistake so I'll continue my feedback further down....   :-[

SECOND QUOTE:
I think the System Restore date I chose was after MBAM's Chameleon had *killed the process*.  Yeah... it had to be because the newest version of MBAM was still on my desktop after the restore.   :)
This doesn't mean I don't have other issues... I just don't have the FBI SCAM issue any more.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank .  ..  .....   (Jaws 2)

THIRD QUOTE:
I'll try to find out today if SpeedMaxPc is a scam or not... and report back here... good or bad.   :) or :(

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 08:07 AM »
THIRD QUOTE:
I'll try to find out today if SpeedMaxPc is a scam or not... and report back here... good or bad.   :) or :(

well, either way it's in the grey zone:

• misleading banner
  • didnt help your PC
  • probably did a major registry cleanup which can help things, but can easily totally screw up your pc
  • very dubious sales practices

I'm sure theres more...
Tom

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 09:26 AM »
crabby3, There is no "SpeedUp" for windows program that works.
Even if it is endorsed by Microsoft.
Don't believe everything you read on the net.

The simple way would be to reinstall windows.
If you don't want to do that, try TFC.
A temporary file cleaner.

http://www.geekstogo...cleaner-by-oldtimer/

Read about what it will clean.
Search the net for info about it.
Ask on sites where you value their opinion.
Then, maybe, download and run it.

I can't easily reinstall a clean copy of Windows because my machine didn't come with System Restore CD's and I've never run a backup of my own.   :(   Plus... I don't really want to have to reinstall all of the other programs I have added.  IMO this seems like a last-resort fix ... and I don't think I'm that far gone yet.

This TFC seems/reads like it does the same thing as Windows Disk Cleanup... but it just concentrates on all temp file only... is this assumption correct?   :tellme:     I value your opinion.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 09:35 AM »
TFC will clean more then Windows Disk Cleanup and CCleaner.
All 3 will pick up what the other does not.

TFC will stop most process' before it cleans and sometimes prompts for a reboot.
Even if it does not prompt for a reboot I always log off and back on again.
You should see better performance for a while till the temps load up again.
If you want to run it, there is no install, it's portable.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07 AM »
TFC will clean more then Windows Disk Cleanup and CCleaner.
All 3 will pick up what the other does not.

TFC will stop most process' before it cleans and sometimes prompts for a reboot.
Even if it does not prompt for a reboot I always log off and back on again.
You should see better performance for a while till the temps load up again.
If you want to run it, there is no install, it's portable.

I appreciate your suggestions and opinion, cmpm, but this TFC seems a little scary.  Some of the posts I've read deal with problems it caused the users... not to reassuring, to me anyway.

It seems like it's behavior is similar to the modern-day drug perscriptions out there.  Some users ailments are cured... but others die.   :(

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 11:13 AM »
If you are unsure about TFC, do not run it.
I have not had any problems myself,but that is me.

Have you tried CCleaner?
For CCleaner I only use the cleaner, not the registry cleaner.
Also I would uncheck the cleaning of cookies, untill you know how the advanced settings work.

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=11931.0

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 12:01 PM »
A variation on the same theme is ATF-Cleaner which I've been using for a few years. It says it's only good for 2000/XP but I've used it frequently on Vista & 7 without any problems...so it's still a favorite of mine.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 01:46 PM »
@Stoic Joker

ATF-Cleaner, do you disable these or leave them disabled?-

Notes for Windows Vista users:

On Windows Vista that "Windows Temp" is disabled, to empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator"
Prefetch has been disabled on Windows Vista. As I'm not sure the effects that emptying prefetch on Windows Vista  will have for the time being it I won't enable that function.

Just wondering.

And I do use TFC without any troubles.

I have been using CleanUp! (Gould), but not recommending it.
It's good for custom file and folder locations and temps.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 02:08 PM »
I quit dumping the prefetch folder back in the XP days (as it's self cleaning), and I usually dump the Windows temp manually so I can get some idea of what sort of history the machine has had.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Thanks, One thing I like about CleanUp! Is I can run it in demo mode, and it shows what files it would have deleted. And it shows a report in real mode too, but after I have cleaned. This is one thing that TFC lacks is a report of files deleted, like CCleaner.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 04:13 PM »
THIRD QUOTE:
I'll try to find out today if SpeedMaxPc is a scam or not... and report back here... good or bad.   :) or :(

well, either way it's in the grey zone:

• misleading banner
  • didnt help your PC
  • probably did a major registry cleanup which can help things, but can easily totally screw up your pc
  • very dubious sales practices

I'm sure theres more...

SpeedMaxPc's Tech-Support page is back on-line today... sort-of.  The page text is off-center to the left and this was at the top - Notice: Undefined variable: entryPointId in D:\websites\shared\support\premiumSupportLogin.php on line 6  I guess this is the reason why the text is off-center?   :tellme:

Anyway... I entered my License Key... but it didn't accept it.   ;D  Surprise - Surprise - Surprise    ;D      (Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.)

I submitted a question, which was my only other option, and it said  "A support team member will respond to your inquiry within 24 hours."  I won't hold my breath.   :( ;D

Their Contact Us page looks real.  Would scammers go this far... just to screw-over their product buyers?   :huh:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:57 PM by crabby3, Reason: Surprise credit »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 07:41 PM »
  I've heard a lot of bad things about SpeedMaxPC, like:

SpeedMaxPc (also called as Speed Max Pc) is a program, which is presented as PC optimization tool. According to its owners, this program is designed for 'everyday PC user that enjoys productivity at an enjoyable pace'. However, the reason why we have included this program into our data base is very simple - just like many other PC optimization tools, this one fails to find the biggest part of the PC bugs that can be found on it and sometimes even reports about invented errors. We can say that it hasn't been very successful when we were testing it on our hard drive and registry some days ago. Besides, this program clearly slows the system down instead of making it faster. If you have already paid for the registered version of SpeedMaxPc, we recommend contacting its owners to get your money back. However, according to some of its unhappy customers, it may be almost impossible to contact the company for the refund.
http://www.2-spyware...move-speedmaxpc.html

AND

speedmaxpc/Qresolve scammed out of $440.05 by so called technicians!!! Internet

http://www.ripoffrep...-scammed-o-1e13e.htm

They also "PAY" for people to write favorable reviews and post them on their websites, which is standard for a lot of software companies, which isn't Truth in Advertising.

Persally I think it's a waste of money considering all the quality freeware out there that does the same thing that they advertise.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 06:06 AM »
 I've heard a lot of bad things about SpeedMaxPC, like:

SpeedMaxPc (also called as Speed Max Pc) is a program, which is presented as PC optimization tool. According to its owners, this program is designed for 'everyday PC user that enjoys productivity at an enjoyable pace'. However, the reason why we have included this program into our data base is very simple - just like many other PC optimization tools, this one fails to find the biggest part of the PC bugs that can be found on it and sometimes even reports about invented errors. We can say that it hasn't been very successful when we were testing it on our hard drive and registry some days ago. Besides, this program clearly slows the system down instead of making it faster. If you have already paid for the registered version of SpeedMaxPc, we recommend contacting its owners to get your money back. However, according to some of its unhappy customers, it may be almost impossible to contact the company for the refund.
http://www.2-spyware...move-speedmaxpc.html

AND

speedmaxpc/Qresolve scammed out of $440.05 by so called technicians!!! Internet

http://www.ripoffrep...-scammed-o-1e13e.htm

They also "PAY" for people to write favorable reviews and post them on their websites, which is standard for a lot of software companies, which isn't Truth in Advertising.

Persally I think it's a waste of money considering all the quality freeware out there that does the same thing that they advertise.

Thanks for the links, Tinman57, I visited both.  However... they seem to be a bit out-dated?  Would you happen to have other more current sites?   :tellme:

As far as being a waste of money... ?  It's a HUGE waste of money ... But.  As you may recall... I was duped into thinking that this SpeedMaxPc was offered/recommended/endorsed by Windows Help & Support.  And the three misleading steps, in the blue box, is where my Odyssey began.  Step 1: I downloaded and installed;  Step 2: I clicked Scan;  Step 3: I clicked Fix All.
This is when another window opened saying I had to buy the full version to continue.   :(

This wasn't totally unexpected, on my part, because I didn't remember seeing the word free anywhere on their web page.  (I had closed my browser before the install and I didn't go back a check)

So...... I paid the ransom... and now I'm trying to get it back.   :-[   It was way less than $440.05 .... it was more like two and a half cases of beer worth?   ;D

And... as far as Freebies doing the same thing... hopefully they don't... 'cause this one deleted some files I NEEDED to run other programs I have.  >:(   Thankfully System Restore fixed that.   :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:23 AM by crabby3, Reason: Typo »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 06:28 AM »
^ I think it's pretty clear what they do - and what they probably dont (refund) :(

I dont think a cleaner programme will make much difference to your system.
If you want to clear out temporary internet files a quick search will tell you where they are for each browser.

I personally normally never use cleaner-type programmes; I also never normally use anything that claims to fix my registry (note: I did do both when clearing out this virus on a friend laptop).

I would personally removing Spybot S&D (that's an easy choice as it's generally considered of not much use these days; also disabling it will make a difference to startup).
*Personally* I'd also remove one of the other Spyware programmes - or another good option would be to turn off the real-time scanning on one of them.
Tom

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 07:17 AM »
^ I think it's pretty clear what they do - and what they probably dont (refund) :(

I dont think a cleaner programme will make much difference to your system.
If you want to clear out temporary internet files a quick search will tell you where they are for each browser.

I personally normally never use cleaner-type programmes; I also never normally use anything that claims to fix my registry (note: I did do both when clearing out this virus on a friend laptop).

I would personally removing Spybot S&D (that's an easy choice as it's generally considered of not much use these days; also disabling it will make a difference to startup).
*Personally* I'd also remove one of the other Spyware programmes - or another good option would be to turn off the real-time scanning on one of them.

'sup, tomos.

My Refund-Quest is on-going... stay tuned...

I uninstalled SpyBot S&D yesterday, just before shut-down, and today my start-up was much faster.  It went from about 15 minutes to around 10 or 11.

What exactly would I gain by turning off one of the remaining three (2 malware, 1 AV) real-time scanners?  MBAM is supposed to be compatable with other malware or AV programs.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 07:45 AM »
What exactly would I gain by turning off one of the remaining three (2 malware, 1 AV) real-time scanners?

Speed.

I think maywarebytes has a better reputation than SUPERAntiSpyware. Having three scanning simultaneously will slow things down and might not necessarily be of any more help than just having the real-time protection of two.

But again, it's your call :)

edit/ PS 10 or 11 minutes is still a very long time for startup :-\
Tom

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 08:28 AM »
What exactly would I gain by turning off one of the remaining three (2 malware, 1 AV) real-time scanners?

Speed.

I think maywarebytes has a better reputation than SUPERAntiSpyware. Having three scanning simultaneously will slow things down and might not necessarily be of any more help than just having the real-time protection of two.

But again, it's your call :)

edit/ PS 10 or 11 minutes is still a very long time for startup :-\

My PC slow-down has been so gradual I don't remember how long it should be.  What's the rough average for a 4GB RAM laptop?   :huh:

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 06:18 PM »
For what it's worth, I tend to use Bleachbit for cleaning up various junk/temp files occasionally.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 08:19 PM »
;D  I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.  ;D  That's okay... I use or need most of these daily... so I'll just live with the slow starts.   :)   For me, anyway, it's easier to click on a pre-loaded tray icon... than it is to track it down in the Start Menu.

As I was reminded recently - here on DC, as a matter of fact - you can stagger the start times of those programs.  The sluggishness is, usually, due to everything trying to start at once.  If you offset the start times - say by a minute each - your perceived startup will be much speedier.  Or, you could get a software like Chameleon Task Manager - not the Malwarebytes launcher - to make staggering startup times a bit easier.  Either way, you can start using your system much sooner, even though stuff is still loading.  Changed my usage from starting ~ten (10) minutes after boot to start using ~three (3) minutes after boot.  Amazing how much you can get done in a mere seven (7) minutes  :P.

Note:  if you go the staggered startup route, play with it a bit ... changing the start order can significantly affect total startup time.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 08:55 PM »

Thanks for the links, Tinman57, I visited both.  However... they seem to be a bit out-dated?  Would you happen to have other more current sites?   :tellme:

As far as being a waste of money... ?  It's a HUGE waste of money ... But.  As you may recall... I was duped into thinking that this SpeedMaxPc was offered/recommended/endorsed by Windows Help & Support.  And the three misleading steps, in the blue box, is where my Odyssey began.  Step 1: I downloaded and installed;  Step 2: I clicked Scan;  Step 3: I clicked Fix All.
This is when another window opened saying I had to buy the full version to continue.   :(

This wasn't totally unexpected, on my part, because I didn't remember seeing the word free anywhere on their web page.  (I had closed my browser before the install and I didn't go back a check)

So...... I paid the ransom... and now I'm trying to get it back.   :-[   It was way less than $440.05 .... it was more like two and a half cases of beer worth?   ;D

And... as far as Freebies doing the same thing... hopefully they don't... 'cause this one deleted some files I NEEDED to run other programs I have.  >:(   Thankfully System Restore fixed that.   :D
  With the way you described how they got you to pay for it, there was a lawsuit on this same scam about 5 years ago and the Justice Department forced them to refund all the money.

You can do a simple internet search for more recent sites.

As far as anti-viruses go, NEVER have more than ONE anti-virus installed on your system.  They "fight" each other and cause a lot of problems.

Spybot S&D is a good anti-malware app, I use it myself.  However, the Tea-Timer part of it will eat up a lot of memory and CPU cycles, so I wouldn't suggest letting it run at startup.

If your system is taking 11 - 15 minutes to start up, then you definitely have problems. My XP SP3 machine boots up in under 3 minutes, with the desktop showing up in a little under a minute.

I personally clean my registry every couple of weeks using Eusing and Wise registry cleaners.  You would be amazed at all the crap that's left over in the registry from apps and the system, that when left alone slows your system down to a crawl.  And then there's the hard drive optimization.  I run Defraggler every couple of weeks to keep my drive in tip-top shape, which also speeds up things a lot.

I don't know about Vista and above, you would have to do some research to find out if it's needed on those OS's.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 11:16 PM »
;D  I think I've found the reason for my machines sluggishness during start-up.  ;D  Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D, PickPic and PNotes all load with Windows.  ;D  That's okay... I use or need most of these daily... so I'll just live with the slow starts.   :)   For me, anyway, it's easier to click on a pre-loaded tray icon... than it is to track it down in the Start Menu.

As I was reminded recently - here on DC, as a matter of fact - you can stagger the start times of those programs.  The sluggishness is, usually, due to everything trying to start at once.  If you offset the start times - say by a minute each - your perceived startup will be much speedier.  Or, you could get a software like Chameleon Task Manager - not the Malwarebytes launcher - to make staggering startup times a bit easier.  Either way, you can start using your system much sooner, even though stuff is still loading.  Changed my usage from starting ~ten (10) minutes after boot to start using ~three (3) minutes after boot.  Amazing how much you can get done in a mere seven (7) minutes  :P.

Note:  if you go the staggered startup route, play with it a bit ... changing the start order can significantly affect total startup time.

I wrote Lacuna Launcher specifically for that purpose, because by staggering out the launching of apps I was able to avoid issues with apps having missing tray icons, if they were not all competing to get their icon in the tray at the same time.

All you have to do is put the path to everything in a text file, then create a shortcut to Lacuna Launcher in the startup folder, edit the shortcut to add the command line parameters to point to your text file (and configure the initial pause time and time between launches). Then just remove all the original shortcuts from the startup folder (you should have them all in your text file), so all you have left in there is the one to Lacuna Launcher.

Since it's all in a single text file, changing the startup order is as easy as rearranging the lines. I keep a shortcut to the text file on my taskbar to make it quicker to add/remove/rearrange stuff.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 07:24 AM »
@ app103

;D Maybe not safe for work

The Killer Biscuits is really funny except for the last sentence.  IMO ditzy is ditzy no matter the hair (dye) color or gender.   :)

Or maybe it's from the '50s when that concept was more widely accepted?   :huh:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37 AM »
@ app103

;D Maybe not safe for work

The Killer Biscuits is really funny except for the last sentence.  IMO ditzy is ditzy no matter the hair (dye) color or gender.   :)

Or maybe it's from the '50s when that concept was more widely accepted?   :huh:

???

Did I miss something?