topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NASA OOPS!  (Read 18617 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NASA OOPS!
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 09:05 AM »
The image was obviously Photoshopped, but not to add that single object, but remove all the others;)

It would have looked a lot more like this, if they had not cleaned it up:

(see attachment in previous post)

Yeah... this was more my mental picture of the space-crap out there.    ;D   I guess there's no economical way to coax some of this stuff back home?

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 09:15 AM »
This looks like an Alian Cotton-Ball Attack   :o ;D

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I could see it being that.

Thermal tiles are black in color, and one that cracked could produce a triangular piece that in zero-G would simply float away slowly enough to be photographed.

Some theories advanced earlier by a community of spacefans is that it was part of the Hubble telescope that had been discarded, but although there was a STS-61 mission with that task it was not marked as STS-61C.

All thermal tiles, AKA "Heat Shields" are white, at least all the ones I've dealt with in "Skunk Works" and the Space Shuttle.  After re-entry they're slightly blackened with soot, but still white in color as seen here.  This piece of tile, among many other parts that landed around my house, came from the Columbia shuttle crash.
 (see attachment in previous post)
  As far as the SR-91 Aurora, it's way slimmer than what's in the picture.

You care to share where this pic came from Tinman57?  Looks like a piece of Styrofoam to me.   ;D   And what's that white shaft to the right of it?   :tellme:

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 06:54 PM »
The image was obviously Photoshopped, but not to add that single object, but remove all the others;)

It would have looked a lot more like this, if they had not cleaned it up:

Looks like there's a bunch of empty vodka bottles floating around.  Now we know what the Russians do with their empties...  :D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 07:07 PM »
You care to share where this pic came from Tinman57?  Looks like a piece of Styrofoam to me.   ;D   And what's that white shaft to the right of it?   :tellme:

The picture came from my Olympus Camedia C-4000 digital camera, taken in my side yard.  And yes, the tiles do look just like styrofoam, and not much heavier.  The shaft to the right of it is an electrical post for electric fencing.  I posted them by all the debris I found around my house and property as markers so the NASA folks could see where all the debris were when they came out to my place to retrieve them all.
  I had a shitload of people here from NASA, FBI, Sheriffs Dept., FAA, Air Force, Constables and "others" that I couldn't identify.  My wolves were having a hissy fit over all the people around.  lol

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53 PM »
Most of the debris will return to earth on their own. Although they are in stable orbits, they still do get some drag from the uppermost extents of the atmosphere and their orbits wobble slightly from the earth moon and sun gravitational system.

Just it can take anywhere from a few months to a few thousand years for this to happen, depending entirely on the exact path of the object in question.

Also that's odd. Because the tiles on the bottom of the shuttle are clearly black in color in photographs, although that may just be their surface color and the ceramic they are made from is white inside.

But that image is tagged as STS-61-C. STS-61 itself replaced portions of the Hubble Telescope, and we may be looking at pieces of that which were discarded.

Alternately, STS-61-C was just a routine deploy satellites and do experiments flight.

Either one could easily have photographed a passing piece of debris. Large chunks like this are relatively rare still, but do from time to time pass near active structures.

paulobrabo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Brazilian Bomber
    • View Profile
    • Brabo Illustration
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 03:02 AM »
I would still love to take a look at a hi-res scan of the original film. :-\ 

Guess I'll have to accept that NASA offer to work for them after all. :P
English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Also that's odd. Because the tiles on the bottom of the shuttle are clearly black in color in photographs, although that may just be their surface color and the ceramic they are made from is white inside. 
  You are quite correct, the space shuttle is painted black on the bottom, though I don't know the reason for this other than aesthetics, cuz when it hits the atmosphere the paint burns off.  The bricks are very close tolerance, and what little space that's between them is puttied in with a heat-resistant putty that's dark gray to black and gives the bottom of the shuttle a checkered appearence.  I used to have a picture of the bottom before it was painted and it did look rather ragged.  I'll see if I still have it....