topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Gadget WEEKENDS  (Read 582935 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gadget WEEKENDS
« Reply #400 on: March 02, 2017, 04:05 PM »
The usb security key looks cool.. I'd like to look into coding apps that use these.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #401 on: March 02, 2017, 04:06 PM »
I bought a small $25 fryer and we made some Miso soup with fried tofu.  SOOOOO good and easy.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Screenshot - 3_2_2017 , 4_06_56 PM.png
https://www.amazon.c...eamer/dp/B002JM202I/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #402 on: March 02, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Can you link us to your old fryer so we can avoid it?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #403 on: March 02, 2017, 05:42 PM »
I don't get it.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #404 on: March 02, 2017, 06:19 PM »
The usb security key looks cool.. I'd like to look into coding apps that use these.

You probably should look at the more expensive versions that do OTP and are programmable, I think the U2F only keys (eg. YubiKey Fido) are really only useful for websites but I haven't had a good look at the documentation at Yubico yet.

The programmable nature of the OTP versions would have let me program them for use with PayPal for example.

Documentation
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:33 PM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #405 on: March 02, 2017, 06:22 PM »
I bought a small $25 fryer
Can you link us to your old fryer so we can avoid it?
I don't get it.

Didn't you recently have an incident with a fryer with a plastic lid that melted? I assumed that was why you bought that fryer.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #406 on: March 02, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Yes I did actually..  I just didn't have any memory of mentioning that..

I guess I told the donationcoder irc chat channel about it  :P

So yeah my prior model was this one for $16: https://www.amazon.c...-Fryer/dp/B00005KB37

I put the plastic lid on while still hot and it just melted right into the oil.

In truth though, after it cooled the melted plastic peeled right off and i could use the fryer with a glass pot lid fine.  The real reason I upgraded from the $16 to the $25 fryer was because the new one gets a bit higher in temperature which is better for frying.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #407 on: March 02, 2017, 11:47 PM »
So yeah my prior model was this one for $16: https://www.amazon.c...-Fryer/dp/B00005KB37

Yikes! There are plenty of 1 & 2 star reviews that make this thing sound terrifying!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #408 on: July 15, 2017, 02:43 PM »
During Amazon's recent Prime Day they had the Yubikey 4 and Yubikey 4 Nano for 1/2 price, ($20 & $25 respectively).

So I picked up a Nano version.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #409 on: July 15, 2017, 03:08 PM »
During Amazon's recent Prime Day they had the Yubikey 4 and Yubikey 4 Nano for 1/2 price, ($20 & $25 respectively).

So I picked up a Nano version.
Finally another Gadget, great :Thmbsup:

I actually got such Yubikey 4 from a colleague who won a dozen or so at a security conference a while back, with the intent of doing something useful with it and reporting that back to him. I'm still thinking about what to use it for :-[

Wait, I'll 'sign' this post with it: ccccccfcrviucerjeltjcktljbhdtkngbtnnklnhffjj
And another one just for fun: ccccccfcrviuvfthljdjttfdhefvnejnufeunjjvvuel

So, I've at least once done something useful with it now...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #410 on: July 15, 2017, 04:15 PM »
I actually got such Yubikey 4 from a colleague who won a dozen or so at a security conference a while back, with the intent of doing something useful with it and reporting that back to him. I'm still thinking about what to use it for :-[

Haven't actually got mine yet since I'm overseas for another 2 weeks, won't collect it until I get back ;D

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #411 on: August 06, 2017, 04:14 AM »
I'll carefully toss in the 'gadget' I bought yesterday: A VW Golfw 1.6 FSI Sportline (2006).

vwgolf2006ath.JPG

I bought it to commute to my new job where I'll be starting October 1st (actually Monday the 2nd), and the 45 km distance isn't easily doable by (e)bike, compared to the current 12 km.

I'm leaving my current job after 16+ years to pursue a new challenge, in a new environment, though still in software development, it's more to do with cloud, healthcare related application development, and less with 'hardcore code-crunching' (applications, libraries, standard components) and systems maintenance (the second 'chunk' of my current job, keeping stuff like JIRA, SVN, Jenkins, Confluence, Crucible, Artifactory, etc. running and all users happy). Plus all the accumulated specialized projects (license generator, internal libraries, JIRA external issue creator, stuff like that) I keep dragging behind me :tellme:
Now a couple of weeks vacation, then transferring all knowledge that isn't yet documented from my head to our Confluence and to colleagues heads/notebooks, and then a fresh start :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:23 AM by Ath »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #412 on: August 06, 2017, 05:31 AM »
I'm leaving my current job after 16+ years to pursue a new challenge...and then a fresh start

Congratulations, Ath!!! Go get 'em!!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #413 on: August 06, 2017, 10:31 AM »
I'm leaving my current job after 16+ years to pursue a new challenge...and then a fresh start

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #414 on: August 06, 2017, 10:35 AM »
A Tale of Three Clocks

3clocks.jpgGadget WEEKENDS

I have had this Braun travel alarm (#1 in the photo - Type 4 768 AB30sl) for 30 years, and it has always worked great. The back falls off and battery rolls out if it falls - which it has done many times - but it hasn't broken yet, and I started putting a rubber band around it to keep the back on better. It has a quiet tick-per-second movement like most of the electric analog clocks of its era. There's snooze bar/light at the top front and the alarm on/off bar across the top back. Alarm starts out on the quiet side and gets louder ("crescendo alarm") which is what I need because I always wake up at the first cheep and don't want it to screech at me. Not too big, not too small. Classic design, works great, and the only time it failed me was when it went missing for a few months (thanks, daughter who shall not be named). During the Dark Time when it was missing, I went on a search for its replacement.

The first thing I found is that this clock is no longer being manufactured. Braun has a number of clocks listed on Amazon, but none of them have the same feature set. And after reading far too many reviews, it sure seems like the current crop of Brauns don't have the same build quality as the old ones. Bummer.

So I kept looking and determined that I likely couldn't get a perfect match for the Braun, but I could get a clock that would satisfy my needs. First candidate that I bought was the Marathon CL030053BK (center clock in the pic). This is an awesome clock and I really like it a lot! Smooth movement that is completely quiet, not too bright light that comes on when the sensor says it is dark enough. It also has enough mass that it feels extremely sturdy and won't move around due to non slip bars on the bottom. It doesn't have a crescendo alarm, but the volume is fine - not too loud. (Might not work well for heavy sleepers, but then nothing does.) It has the perfect time/alarm set mechanism - a recessed area in back with one stem, normally it changes the alarm time but you can pull it out to reset the time. The only problem with this clock is its size - it's just a bit too big to be really portable. (I am keeping it because it's a great clock - in fact I bought one for my daughter to replace the clock I took back.  :P)

I tested a few other clocks on my journey as well, none memorable or satisfactory, but I eventually ended up settling on the silver clock - the LaCrosse 60.1013.54. It is much closer to the Braun's size and weight, it's easy to turn on the light when desired and easy to turn the alarm on or off or visibly see or feel its current state. The movement is smooth and silent. Again, not a crescendo alarm, but it's still ok. Its one down side would the alarm and time set mechanism - this clock uses small dials on the back of the clock, not an unusual arrangement, but the dials actually stick out past the flat back of the clock, so if I pop it in my pocket or suitcase, I can't guarantee that action won't reset the time! I tested taping the dials, but that prevents the time from keeping up.  :( If they had just recessed the dials a little...

Anyway, still looking for the perfect replacement. I would really like to see Marathon put out a 2/3 size replica of their clock, that would be awesome!
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #415 on: August 06, 2017, 01:16 PM »

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

yes, congrats Ath, enjoy the new start!
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #416 on: August 06, 2017, 01:24 PM »
I have had this Braun travel alarm (#1 in the photo - Type 4 768 AB30sl) for 30 years, and it has always worked great. The back falls off and battery rolls out if it falls - which it has done many times - but it hasn't broken yet, and I started putting a rubber band around it to keep the back on better.

I'm still using neat little one that's about twenty years old -- the back has fallen off it, so the battery is held in with a hair elastic. I cant see any brand name on it, but it says 'Made in Germany'. I had given up using it until I realised smartphones are not so smart as I thought, and cannot be depended on (mine anyways).

Good to get a couple of possible replacement recommendations  :up:
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #417 on: August 06, 2017, 03:10 PM »
yes, congrats Ath, enjoy the new start!
Thanks tomos, wraith808 and mouser for the encouragement :), I've been looking around silently for some time but at 55 that's not easy. But for this job I've been asked if I would be interested to join, and I'm quite sure I'm gonna like it very much.

Thanks x16wda for enlightning us with your alarmclock selection process, it is very helpful :up:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #418 on: August 06, 2017, 03:25 PM »
I'll carefully toss in the 'gadget' I bought yesterday: A VW Golf
Golf and a new job… clearly this will be a management role.

Good luck!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #419 on: August 06, 2017, 04:04 PM »
...the back has fallen off it, so the battery is held in with a hair elastic. ...

Tip: Battery covers are often the first bit to "fail" on small DC appliances that might otherwise work just fine. I found that Blue Tack placed strategically on the inside of the cover is unobtrusive and can sometimes perform better than elastic bands or tape, and it isn't messy and doesn't "break" - one may just need to "readjust" it every now and then.
Don't use fake/copy or non-Blue Tack brand though - from experience, they tend to dry up and go hard, losing their flexible and sticky characteristics.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:03 PM by IainB »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #420 on: August 30, 2017, 08:56 PM »
It'll be the weekend sometime so anyway a new phone: Moto G5+ (XT1685 APAC version) 4GB/32GB, NFC, Dual SIM and μSD, 4k UHD and Slo-mo video, etc.

motorola-moto-g5-plus-1.jpgGadget WEEKENDS

Loses the compass and BeiDou GPS receiver that the Redmi Note 2 had but at least it's not a f'n MTK chipset.

Now to unlock the bootloader  :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #421 on: August 30, 2017, 09:17 PM »
 :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #422 on: September 03, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Got myself a 15-degree knife sharpener:
Screenshot - 9_3_2017 , 10_40_12 AM.png

https://www.amazon.c...rpener/dp/B0018RSEMU

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #423 on: September 03, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Got myself a 15-degree knife sharpener

Let us know how well it works.  I've been thinking of getting a sharpening system, but I'd really prefer something that works easily rather than something that will get my knives straight-razor sharp, but only if I become some sort of skilled craftsman.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #424 on: September 03, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Oh it works.
If you have some skill, lots of people enjoy manually sharpening their knives.  I just don't have the aptitude for it.