topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Gadget WEEKENDS  (Read 582943 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gadget WEEKENDS
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2012, 11:32 PM »
My gadget post for today is a water fountain for your pet.

The one I have is by Drinkwell but there are a bunch of different models and there is nothing special about this one:

41Yh5MquTbL._SX450_.jpg

I don't know why the cat loves drinking out of it so much, but she does -- something about the moving water is very appealing to cats (dogs too?).  They think they are drinking from a fresh flowing stream or some nonsense.

You do have to clean it every once in a while, but it clearly makes the cat happy so I think it's worth the trouble.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2012, 07:17 PM »
My gadget post for today is a water fountain for your pet.

The one I have is by Drinkwell but there are a bunch of different models and there is nothing special about this one:

I don't know why the cat loves drinking out of it so much, but she does -- something about the moving water is very appealing to cats (dogs too?).  They think they are drinking from a fresh flowing stream or some nonsense.

You do have to clean it every once in a while, but it clearly makes the cat happy so I think it's worth the trouble.

I've got one, but a little different.  Mine looks like a toilet and shoots water up from a spigot close to the water level.  The reason the cats like drinking from it so much is because it's aerated, which makes the water taste better.  Basically the same reason our inside faucets have aeraters, mixes in oxygen into the water giving it a better taste.
  These are good to have for cat owners because the more cats drink the less chance they have of having urinary tract problems, which cats are well known for....

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2012, 08:22 PM »
I've got one, but a little different.  Mine looks like a toilet and shoots water up from a spigot close to the water level.  The reason the cats like drinking from it so much is because it's aerated, which makes the water taste better.  Basically the same reason our inside faucets have aeraters, mixes in oxygen into the water giving it a better taste.

I thought that oxygenation was why, but couldn't remember where I heard it.

These are good to have for cat owners because the more cats drink the less chance they have of having urinary tract problems, which cats are well known for....

Didn't know that.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Anti-slip material:

antislipmaterial.jpgGadget WEEKENDS

The blue material in the image has been much handier than I expected.

Use it to open jars, stabilize tablet / pc stands, support make-shift arrangements for standing tablets, etc.

IIRC, obtained some at a Daiso store.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Anti-slip material:
 (see attachment in previous post)
The blue material in the image has been much handier than I expected.

Use it to open jars, stabilize tablet / pc stands, support make-shift arrangements for standing tablets, etc.

IIRC, obtained some at a Daiso store.

It looks like the stuff I used to line our cupboards. Never thought to use it elsewhere though. That might be because it's all used already. :D

IIRC, I bought it in a roll. Was that how yours came?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2012, 11:32 PM »
It looks like the stuff I used to line our cupboards. Never thought to use it elsewhere though. That might be because it's all used already. :D

He he.  It turns out what the local supply was purchased for was to keep certain other things in place so it was all used up at the time -- but then came rearrangement time and suddenly there were multiple articles begging to be used elsewhere :)

IIRC, I bought it in a roll. Was that how yours came?

I don't remember cutting anything -- I think these were pre-sized individual pieces.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2012, 05:21 AM »
Last apartment I lived in had a window inside the shower, that the sill wasn't quite level. I used a piece of similar stuff to keep the shampoo bottles from sliding off.

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
  • People reckon I'll smash into Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2012, 05:46 AM »
I bought this amazing car tablet mount about 3 months ago and together with an Asus Transformer Prime tablet they make the most powerful infotainment system I have ever seen/used... I have been requested by a growing number of friends to assist getting this mount to work on their cars so I figure I might as well share it here.

The holder gives you a very secure yet low profile mounting option, making a tablet easily accessible from driver's location without obstructing vision for the road. Connecting the tablet to your onboard bluetooth system or AUX port with one of these is easy as ABC:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492TTP-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B0047T79VS

The mount can be bought here or from ebay:
http://www.amazon.com/Kropsson-Universal-Tablet-Mount-Holder/dp/B007C94EY0/

Youtube video:

61XqA+WXJ5L.jpg
Not a photo of my car/mount, just an image from amazon taken by one of the actual buyers.
Get my apps in Android Market! Go droids go! :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2012, 04:22 PM »

Didn't know that.
  My mom called me a couple of weeks ago and asked why her cat would start urinating on the bed every day.  I told her it was most likely a urinary tract problem, the poor kitty associating the litter box with pain, therefore trying to pee somewhere it didn't hurt.
  Anyhow, she took it to the vet and found the cat had a urinary tract infection and put it on the appropriate drugs.  Kitty is now well and using the litter box again instead of the bed....

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2012, 06:14 AM »
While we are on the subject of cat waste, my gadget for this weekend is the Breeze Cat Litter System, which I was so taken with I wrote a mini-review of back in 2009.  I'm still using it.

obj_litterSystemDemo.jpg

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2012, 07:50 AM »
Here's another one of my favorite "gadgets".  What it is is an indoor-faucet to garden hose adapter, plus a quick connect hose adapter, and then a short 6ft hose.

I find it extremely useful when filling up things like humidifier, etc.  Is also useful when you want to generate some higher pressure spray to wash something.  The quick connect thing let's me leave the adapter connected to the sink at all times and quickly attach and detach the hose when needed.

quickconnect.pngGadget WEEKENDS

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2012, 10:30 PM »
One of my favorite cheap gadgets is a Swiffer Sweeper Vac:
swiffer.jpg

It's basically a really tiny, light, cheap, low powered battery-powered vacuum cleaner meant for very light duty work on solid (wood) floors.

It has a large flat head that fits disposable dry cloths on it. Each time you use it, you attach a new cloth which picks up dust.

My experience is that it's basically only useful for one thing, and that's cleaning up dust and cat hair from wood floors -- it's too low powered for anything else.  But at that one job, it is perfectly suited, and a pleasure to use.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2012, 10:56 PM »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2012, 11:00 PM »
It ain't fair!

Every time I start to post a gadget, mouser beats me to it  :( >:( :P!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2012, 02:05 AM »
Déjà vu?

https://www.donation....msg123398#msg123398

No no no! The other one was teal. This one's more of a lime green. ;D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2012, 08:37 PM »
One of my favorite cheap gadgets is a Swiffer Sweeper Vac:
It's basically a really tiny, light, cheap, low powered battery-powered vacuum cleaner meant for very light duty work on solid (wood) floors.
My experience is that it's basically only useful for one thing, and that's cleaning up dust and cat hair from wood floors -- it's too low powered for anything else.  But at that one job, it is perfectly suited, and a pleasure to use.

I have one of those for my wood kitchen floor.  I vacuum it about 10 times a day because of the cat & dog hair.  It works like a champ too, and holds a charge really well.  I don't have to charge it but about every 10 days.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2012, 08:19 PM »
ecig.jpg

We got given 2 of these e-cigarettes (One each) off my in-laws as an early Christmas present...

Let's just say...they work WONDERS...

I have gone from smoking 30 a day, to just having one, yesterday morning.

No real cravings to speak of, and they have plenty of flavours for those who want different tastes.  I just use the one called "Natural Smoke Juice" which...it just plain old Nicotine flavoured.  I WAS using the Menthol (Mint) one, but I decided to use this instead as its s slightly higher dosage of Nicotine (18mg vs just 16 on the menthol) - I will then lower the dosage until I hopefully, don't need ANY nicotine in it at all!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2012, 08:35 AM »
Ok today I'm posting about a cheap gadget that I think everyone should have.
It's a battery-powered water/flood leak detector.

Screenshot - 12_28_2012 , 8_28_56 AM - cap 00116_thumb.png

I have two of these guys, one in the bathroom and one under the kitchen sink.

You put them on the floor and if water ever gets underneath them they let out the most piercing beeps.

Now if you're lucky you'll never have one of these guys go off on you because of a real problem, and only because you accidentally spill some water.

But they provide me with significant peace of mind when i fill up the tub, etc., that if something goes wrong I will at least have a change at being alerted to it before it's too late.

The brand I use is Zircon: http://www.amazon.co...teries/dp/B002Q8GRPG but have little reason to prefer one brand over another (these first alert ones also look good and are possibly easier to change batteries on).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:59 PM by mouser »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2012, 08:43 AM »
It's a battery-powered water leak detector.

I could have used one a little while back. The hot water heater sprung a gushing leak out of the blue... really nasty - spraying all over with a good amount of pressure. I luckily caught it within an hour or 2, but still... there was a lot of water and a nasty mess to clean up.

Seems like a really good thing for the laundry room.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2012, 08:52 AM »
Seems like a really good thing for the laundry room.

definitely.  laundry room and boiler room are great candidates.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Okay, my turn to jump into the fray.

"Travel Soothing Sound Machine with Alarm Clock".

Now let's get the "available for sale somewhere".
http://www.buzzillio...-alarm-clock-reviews
Buzzillions seems to suggest it's at least available on Ebay. However the signature seller used to be Radio Shack, though they are now out of stock.

For me at least, I am recommending it in reverse of the purported reason it was sold. Play with the cute little sound effects, sure. But it's the best travel alarm clock "I have seen, and may ever see".

Travel Soothing Sound Machine.jpg

Basically, it's got the essential features all laid out so clearly you wonder why 30 years of other clock makers couldn't do it. Huge clock numerals. Big button to make the light come on in the dark for 7 seconds. I'm not a Snooze Guy but it's also the snooze button. BOTH the "date" and the "day" in half size font below that. 1/4/2012 AND Fri.

It folds up really secure so no one drop will bounce it in half.

And then the feature that made it priceless for me: A thermometer. Absolutely brilliant. It's prob got a margin of error a couple of degrees, but it's close enough. Whether in one job where the company hobby was fiddling with the thermostat, or the funky heating in my building, no more guessing why you are hot or cold. Just look at your clock.

Yeah, *eventually* the contacts will wear out a little. Because I'd not easily like a clock this much for a long time, I bought about 6 of them! One became a gift. I think I still somewhere have my last spare in the stuff I just moved.

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58 PM »
It's a battery-powered water leak detector.

(see attachment in previous post)

I have two of these guys, one in the bathroom and one under the kitchen sink.

You put them on the floor and if water ever gets underneath them they let out the most piercing beeps.

Now if you're lucky you'll never have one of these guys go off on you because of a real problem, and only because you accidentally spill some water.

But they provide me with significant peace of mind when i fill up the tub, etc., that if something goes wrong I will at least have a change at being alerted to it before it's too late.

The brand I use is Zircon: http://www.amazon.co...teries/dp/B002Q8GRPG but have little reason to prefer one brand over another (these first alert ones also look good and are possibly easier to change batteries on).

Hope these work ... I'm about to put them into service.
Thanks for the tip Mouser.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2013, 09:39 PM »
My gadget this weekend is an RF-based universal/learning remote:

21xNx1k03vL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...aster/dp/B000FL9E6U/

What it is?

It's a learning/universal remote control with a very mediocre user interface design, but which can send based on RF signals quite far.  What that means is you put the base where your stereo is and you can control it from 100 feet away regardless of line of site or walls, etc.

I'm sure there are RF universal/learning remotes that are fancier, but this may be the affordable option (this brand can be found on ebay quite a bit as well).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2013, 10:36 AM »
For this weekend's post I have a double recommendation.

First, a tiny little cheap gadget that I love (I have like 5 of these in my house, one for every room), a Hygrometer:
1.png
http://www.amazon.co...onitor/dp/B0013BKDO8

A hygrometer measures humidity/moisture in the air; this one that I recommend not only measures the humidity but also keeps track of high and low temps for each day, and high+low humidity, which is nice to help see the fluctuation.

Now monitoring humidity in your house is not something you really *need* to do, but if you are a gadget lover it's a fun thing to do.  I definitely recommend getting more than one because they are cheap (under $15) and sometimes a little inaccurate, and it helps to have a couple so that you can compare values.

In the winter when you have heat running, it can make your house very dry.  Until I started measuring humidity and running a humidifier, my house could get down to 15 and even 10% humidity, which I never realized was an issue.. but when i started running serious humidifier the improvement was noticeable -- less waking up to dry eyes and throat, etc.

So.. my second recommendation is a serious humidifier.  Not one of those 1 gallon bedside things, but a serious evaporative console humidifier that can humidify the whole house, or large areas of it.  They are a little loud but fun.

Like:

2.png
http://www.amazon.co...difier/dp/B000N87YO4
(mini console for a large room)

3.jpg
http://www.amazon.co...difier/dp/B0000D8EJS
(large console for whole house)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile