topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Apple v Samsung Verdict is in  (Read 55935 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Apple v Samsung Verdict is in
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Well, the jury has reached a verdict, and rounded corners are worth... $1,000,000,000.00!

dr-evil-one-million-dollars-400x322.jpg

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48783982

Apple scored a sweeping legal victory over Samsung Electronics on Friday as a U.S. jury found the Korean company had copied critical features of the hugely popular iPhone and iPad and awarded the U.S. company $1.05 billion in damages.

As for the countersuit, the jury found Apple did not violate any of Samsung's wireless standards or feature patents.

http://www.zdnet.com...t-matter-7000003164/

This verdict doesn't even matter in the long run. This was just another clash.

This case was going to be appealed, no matter who won, the second it started. This is just one more encounter on the case's way to the Supreme Court. Samsung has lost this skirmish, but not the war.

Antarctica may be the only continent where the two aren't locked in battle.

This case really shows only one thing. The patent system, especially when it comes to software, is utterly and totally broken. While I tend to side with Samsung—come on Apple you really believe that your patenting the rectangle makes sense in any sane world?--the whole fouled up patent system is doing nothing but blocking innovation, raising end-user prices, and enriching no one except law firms.

https://www.eff.org/...attle-in-marketplace

As you’ve likely heard, Apple and Samsung continue to duke it out in what commentators have called the “patent trial of the century.” The case involves more than three dozen devices (such as iPhones, iPads, and Galaxy phones and tablets) and various patents, allegedly covering Apple’s designs, “double-click-to-zoom,” 3G technology, and various other functionalities. But what’s really at stake?

Apple v. Samsung is not the problem in itself, but it’s a symptom of a broken system. You can find some of our proposals to fix it at defendinnovation.org.

https://defendinnovation.org/

The patent system is in crisis, and it endangers the future of software development in the United States. Let's create a system that defends innovation, instead of hindering it.

• A patent covering software should be shorter: no more than five years from the application date.
  • If the patent is invalid or there's no infringement, the trolls should have to pay the legal fees.
  • Patent applicants should be required to provide an example of running software code for each claim in the patent.
  • Infringers should avoid liability if they independently arrive at the patented invention.
  • Patents and licenses should be public right away. Patent owners should be required to keep their public records up-to-date.
  • The law should limit damages so that a patent owner can't collect millions if the patent represented only a tiny fraction of a defendant's product.
  • Congress should commission  a study and hold hearings to examine whether software patents actually benefit our economy at all.

Now, on to the next stage of the blood-letting!

EDIT: Actually, $1,049,343,540. But who's counting after a billion?

http://www.huffingto...dict_n_1829119.html?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:39 PM by Renegade »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple v Samsung Verdict is in
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:13 AM »
EDIT: Actually, $1,049,343,540. But who's counting after a billion?
No worries, I'll take the change :P

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 03:14 AM »
Any place where we can start a consumers protest? :mad:

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:26 AM »
Donationcoder.com  ;D

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 03:59 AM »
Sad day.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 06:08 AM »
Lets see: you got an American business + Amercan law being abused to stifle competition and "protect" (largely non-existent) American jobs + election year nationalism playing in the background + California court and jury versus an 'evil' and 'thieving' South Korean company who is arguing for rationality and fairness, and maybe just a touch of sanity? Hmm...tricky...

Did anybody seriously expect any different an outcome? :-\

Oh well. It ain't over yet folks! That was just the opening act.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 06:15 AM by 40hz »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 06:51 AM »
40Hz - that was precisely my reaction too. It was never going to be any different.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the European and Australian courts LOL

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 07:11 AM »
It will be interesting to see what happens in the European and Australian courts LOL

I rather doubt that we'll actually find out the exact amounts of the bribes... ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 07:18 AM »

I rather doubt that we'll actually find out the exact amounts of the bribes... ;D

Why bother with bribes? Why not just threaten to extradite any non-cooperative judiciary en masse to the United States to stand trial for impeding US law - or better yet, to simply be detained indefinitely and without charges for being "found" to be a threat to US "national security?"

The US government has the authority to do all of that. And they ought to know since they gave themselves that "legal" authority a few years back.
What it's starting to look like for 2012
1984.jpg

:P
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:24 AM by 40hz »

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 07:22 AM »
Isn't there some way I/we/people could make known to Apple what I/we/people think of them ? No ...?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 07:23 AM »
The verdict in Korean court was the following:

Apple is not allowed to sell ipad, ipad2 and some more older products over there, Samsung is not allowed to sell Galaxy S1, S2, Tab10.1 and a few other older products anymore. Effective immediately. That is the only sane outcome for those idiots in both camps.

My understanding is the following: Apple does not pay any license fee(s) for the FRAND patents from Samsung. In my opinion: until they do they should not even be allowed to sue for any patent they have. If Apple does not play by the rules (read: common sense), why should others even acknowledge Apple or any their patents. Come on, if Apple finds it does not have to pay for the essential basics, I don't see any reason for Samsung to pay for design basics.

You know, you would get the idea from the Korean verdict that the US is even outsourcing Justice nowadays. Truly, what happened to once great nation? Oh wait, outsourced that as well...  :(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Isn't there some way I/we/people could make known to Apple what I/we/people think of them ? No ...?

What makes you think for one minute Apple could possibly care what anybody who doesn't completely agree with them really thinks? They never have before. They had a ideological walled garden long before they built their technical one. They've always had an "Us vs Them" mindset.

When you're dealing with self-confessed "genius" you get a lot of that. :-\

Apple was built in the image of a man who never got over the fact his parents put him up for adoption - and who wanted to be seen as an innovative genius - even though he was the single least technical and creative member in a group of true computer wizards.

There is not enough payback in the entire world for a person with that much baggage. And Apple's mindset reflects that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:35 AM by 40hz »

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 08:04 AM »

What makes you think for one minute Apple could possibly care what anybody who doesn't completely agree with them really thinks? They never have before. They had a ideological walled garden long before they built their technical one. They've always had an "Us vs Them" mindset.

When you're dealing with self-confessed "genius" you get a lot of that. :-\

Apple was built in the image of a man who never got over the fact his parents put him up for adoption - and who wanted to be seen as an innovative genius - even though he was the single least technical and creative member in a group of true computer wizards.

There is not enough payback in the entire world for a person with that much baggage. And Apple's mindset reflects that.

Well, maybe they would care as their whole culture is narcissist - and narcissists care very much about what others think of them.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 08:53 AM »

If enough people "vote" with their wallets, and Apple's sales tank or at least dip noticeably ... They might just go Um...

It's worth a shot anyway.

Apple was built in the image of a man who never got over the fact his parents put him up for adoption

Seriously?? Christ I was adopted; I even spent some time in a orphanage. It's not that big a deal. I'll agree that on a certain level the "world" does owe one an answer regarding their origins ... But you're not owed the world.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 09:04 AM »
Why bother with bribes? Why not just threaten to extradite any non-cooperative judiciary en masse to the United States to stand trial for impeding US law - or better yet, to simply be detained indefinitely and without charges for being "found" to be a threat to US "national security?"

Could be... But given the mess with trying to kidnap Dotcom, and how nice and clean assassinating Abdulrahman al-Awlaki was, not sure that's really the best way to go about it. Seems like drones are the "in" thing now - both internationally and domestically. :P

That Korean verdict is just nutty... But really, they just banned old models, so it effectively comes up as nothing. It's not like there's a market for old stuff there anyways. (I saw a Galaxy Tab 10.1 v2... oh god was it amazing! Want want want want want want want want want want!!!!!!!)

Now I'm wondering if I patent rounded corners on a triangle... :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 09:22 AM »
[Now I'm wondering if I patent rounded corners on a triangle... :P

Go for it! (I'd do it now while there's still time.) ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51 AM »
[Now I'm wondering if I patent rounded corners on a triangle... :P

Go for it! (I'd do it now while there's still time.) ;D

Hmmm... I was just thinking...

If the payout is based on the number of radians in the roundings of the vertices/corners, then it doesn't matter what I patent as long as it's not Apple's rectangle.

HOWEVER!!! If the payout is based on the number of sides of the polygon that has rounded vertices/corners, then I'm much better off going with a pentagon, or even a dodecagon, or even more! Heck...

EUREKA~!

An INFINITE number of sides! I will patent the CIRCLE WITH ROUNDED CORNERS~! ;D :P

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 11:12 AM »

That Korean verdict is just nutty...

I thought, or rather I think, in fact I'm sure that it was a jury in California that awarded $1 bn+ to Apple - must have been so easy for them to remain neutral and objective.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 02:46 PM »
I will patent the CIRCLE WITH ROUNDED CORNERS~! ;D :P

Where's your point?

While I was scratching my head it occurred to me to patent that gesture. Had I done so earlier I'd have reaped a handsome reward, just from those baffled by these patent wars.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 04:42 PM »
I recommend a look at this, from the notable pj of Groklaw:

Jury in Apple v. Samsung Goofed, Damages Reduced -- Uh Oh. What's Wrong With this Picture?

Come on. This is farce.

This has to be the best summary for the current situation!  ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 11:07 PM »
While I was scratching my head it occurred to me to patent that gesture. Had I done so earlier I'd have reaped a handsome reward, just from those baffled by these patent wars.

-cranioscopical (August 25, 2012, 02:46 PM)

"The united association of adult entertainment wishes to inform you that "scratching a body part" has prior art. Scratching your head is not considered sufficiently innovative and should be viewed as a prohibited derivative action". Or something!

However, the resulting diagrams are Not Safe For DC.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Lets see: you got an American business + Amercan law being abused to stifle competition and "protect" (largely non-existent) American jobs + election year nationalism playing in the background + California court and jury versus an 'evil' and 'thieving' South Korean company who is arguing for rationality and fairness, and maybe just a touch of sanity? Hmm...tricky...

Did anybody seriously expect any different an outcome? :-\

Oh well. It ain't over yet folks! That was just the opening act.
:(
It's all happening now, isn't it?  My hope is that these are just the part of the growing pains of a transition into a freer and nicer society.  The information/computer age seems to have matured and we are now dealing with what that means for us.

Optimism: a world with free access to education and information and implementation of your good ideas.
Pessimism: a world where we spend all our lives looking for the next stupid thing to copyright to make enough money where life is enjoyable.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 01:02 AM »
Pessimism: a world where we spend all our lives looking over our shoulders in case we may have infringed some obscure, never used, BS patent owned by some troll company.

Fixed it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 01:57 AM »
I will patent the CIRCLE WITH ROUNDED CORNERS~! ;D :P

Where's your point?

-cranioscopical (August 25, 2012, 02:46 PM)

My point? Well, my point there is always at the center of things, though I invariably end up going round and round and never get to it. :D

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 03:56 AM »
Meanwhile, at Starbucks:

https://plus.google....32/posts/246srfbqg6G

I'm writing this post after the FOURTH group of Starbucks patrons have made the connection that Samsung is now the same as Apple. They don't know the details, they don't really care, what they know is Apple is saying that Samsung is the same as Apple ... and with one simple Google Search, you get prices that are basically half for what seems to be the same products -- for nearly everything.

Two of these groups (including the husband/wife) asked me about my Samsung laptop, the second group noticed my Galaxy phone (also by Samsung)... Best billion dollar ad-campaign Samsung ever had.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:02 AM by Jibz »