Hello there :}
I work in some sort of help desk and have been "dreaming" lately of some GUI program which I (and maybe my co-workers) could use as a customizable remote administration console.
I looked for various types of launchers or other "parameterizers", but couldn't find what I need.Selector
first seemed close to that, but still, somehow lacks some things for my needs.
So, without further ado, I guess I should explain how I see the thing…Main features / requirements :
* A GUI driven program, to be run under Windows (32/64 bits), which would have :
- a text field where the user would type or paste a "target
" : for the usage I have in mind, we would enter there either a networked machine's hostname or IP address
- a zone with user-definable action triggering buttons (from now on, let's call them "button
* For each of those buttons
, the user should be able to define :
- a caption (displayed either on the button or near it, up to you and depending on whether or not some of the optional features —see further below— are implemented)
- a command with optional prefix parameters string (let's call that whole string "prefixcmd
" from here on)
- additional parameter "suffixes" : the user would not be required to enter some, but it is necessary that he would be able to
- it must be possible for the command to be a .bat/.cmd file, it must NOT be restricted to .exe files (like Selector seems to be, from what I've seen)
* The user should be able to create more, modify or remove individual "buttons
", if possible from within the GUI itself (for example by clicking a dedicated button, or by means of a right click/context menu from the empty space in the window) ; if not, by editing a human readable config file
* The buttons list should be saved in a portable config file anyway (please, not in the registry)
* When the user clicks the action button, the program concatenates prefixcmd
(without "+" or anything) and starts the resulting command lineOptional Features that would be pretty nice if you have enough time for it :
* let the user chose an optional custom icon for each button
* while the mouse cursor is over a button
, display the concatenation of the command that clicking that button would send, either as a tooltip or in a status bar
* ability for the user, when editing an action trigger button, to add some flag for the program to ask confirmation before running that command (useful for "shutdown-like" commands ^^'
* a most recent targets list
* a "favorites" list ; the user should be able to easily add the "current target" to his favorites or load a target from his favorites list
In case you'd need a name for the program, well I've been thinking about it… though I could not settle on something definitive, I suppose something around the lines of "Customizable Remote Administration Panel" (or in short "CRAP") would do ? xD
Of course, don't hesitate to ask if you need me to rephrase something, give more precisions, if you have suggestions etc.