topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Do you use a good office chair when programming?  (Read 64111 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do you use a good office chair when programming?
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2017, 08:32 AM »
When I worked at IBM they bought a bunch of office chairs that looked like this one:

I am not sure if it is the exact model.  But I remember the manufacturer also made gas shocks for automobiles.  I used the chair for close to a year and never ran into the issue where the seat could not be adjusted high enough because the gas shock failed.  I found the exact same chair on sale at Office Max for $40.  The only thing with it was, the "cloth" upholstery was nylon and wore like iron.  Never wears out but not a good idea to sit in the chair in shorts unless you stuck a pad or cushion on it to keep your skin from being sanded off your legs.  :)

Great chair for cheap money.  The chair you mentioned is the same type they have at the college here.  All kinds of adjustments for the armrests etc..  It takes me 2 or 3 minutes to adjust everything before I can address the PC.  I found the armless model simpler.  Hit the lever to adjust the height and you are done.  :)

Edit:  I am cheap and love to get a bargain.  I think I bought this swivel chair in the mid 90s.  I used it up to the day I was evicted in Feb. 2013.  Even then to look at it you would think it has not been used.  I got my $40 worth!  :)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:55 AM by MilesAhead »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 09:26 AM »
The Alera Elusion has been recommended on a few sites I've seen as an affordable high quality alternative to the big boys, so I bought one on craigslist without much testing, and I can't say I really like it.  I don't know it just doesn't feel very comfortable no matter how I adjust it.

I got a no name (Flash Furniture) one from amazon (https://www.amazon.c.../product/B012JJ2EEY/), mostly because the ability to roll the arms back meant I didn't have to have an extra stool for when I use my guitar.  It's been pretty good, and compares well to all of the $350 or less chairs that I've used.  I think that in order to get a better chair, you have to spend more than I'm willing to...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2017, 09:29 AM »
because the ability to roll the arms back

Oooh nice!!  I always have to take the arms off my office chairs because they get in the way of my desk.  The ability to lift them out of the way would be awesome.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2017, 04:08 PM »
I got a no name (Flash Furniture) one from amazon (https://www.amazon.c.../product/B012JJ2EEY/), mostly because the ability to roll the arms back meant I didn't have to have an extra stool for when I use my guitar.  It's been pretty good, and compares well to all of the $350 or less chairs that I've used.  I think that in order to get a better chair, you have to spend more than I'm willing to...

How long have you had it and how well has the material held up?

My last major chair purchase was about $150 IIRC for a nice "professional/executive" chair probably in 2008 or so. I decided to pay a bit extra for a 3-year extended warranty because the warranty was so cheap. A couple years later, all the faux-leather started cracking and peeling off. So shortly before the warranty expired, I was able to get a replacement--a similarly priced model--for free. And I'm glad I did because the damaged chair started deteriorating quickly. But the replacement, too, started to fall apart after about 3 years. It's been a longer, slower process. But they both leave lots of little black "droppings" all over the carpet, which sometimes even stick to the backside of my clothing.

Here's what my most recent chair looks like now after owning it for about 6 years:

Leather Chair - Worn Material.jpgDo you use a good office chair when programming?

With a close up shot of near the top of the backrest:

Leather Chair - Close Up.jpgDo you use a good office chair when programming?

And here's a small sampling of the little "droppings" that I have to vacuum up all the time:

Leather Chair - Droppings.jpgDo you use a good office chair when programming?

EDIT: I just realized I posted about the initial purchase of my "nice" chair in this very thread:

My two crappy metal chairs with fabric covered cardboard (or some kind of manufactured wood) both broke last month within weeks of each other. So I just bought a decent office chair for about $150, but strangely enough I can't find any information or pictures of it online.

It's an executive style chair made out of what is probably fake leather. It has massage motors in the lower and upper back. Seems pretty comfortable to me. It's a lot better than my previous chairs.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:32 PM by Deozaan »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2017, 07:59 PM »
My main office chair has the same problem as yours Deo..  Except i ended up ripping all that fake peeling leather off and now it looks ok again :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2017, 10:14 PM »
Yeah, I think that's the faux leather they put on a lot of them.  I had that problem with my $250 chair I had before this that I purchased from Staples.  This one is fabric, so none of the 'chair-droppings'.  I haven't had it that long- less than a year.  So I'd have to report on it later.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2017, 11:31 PM »
My main office chair has the same problem as yours Deo..  Except i ended up ripping all that fake peeling leather off and now it looks ok again :)

Well, my old chair didn't fare that well once the faux-leather started coming off:

Leather Chair - Wearing Out.jpgDo you use a good office chair when programming?

Thankfully my current one seems to be lasting much longer, even if the faux-leather hasn't.

Lesson learned: I'll never go for a faux-leather chair again.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2017, 12:33 AM »
Now that this thread has been resurrected, I should probably offer an update on my chair situation.

The chair I mentioned in my previous post bit the dust back in 2008, and I had to buy a new one, because it was killing my back and cutting off the circulation to my legs. It was beyond repair and too bent up to straighten out. :(

I ended up buying a high back Sealy Posturepedic chair, like this one, for about $200:

41YqpUOxZVL._SL500_AA300_[1].jpg

The differences between mine and the one pictured there, is that on mine, the fabric is brown. Yes, fabric, because I still can't stand sitting on leather, vinyl, or plastic.

At the time that I purchased the chair, my back was killing me so bad I could barely walk. :(

I did show mouser the chair I was considering buying, but at the time he thought it was way overpriced and that I could get a "decent" chair for much less. While I did understand his concern at the time, because I was going through some financial difficulties, I am glad I didn't listen to him and bought the chair, any way.

My thoughts on it, which justified the price, is that one spends 6-8 hours per night sleeping in their bed, and would not think twice about spending $600+ on their mattress & box spring, for the purposes of comfort and avoiding a bad backache, so why not spend some extra on a chair that I spend far more time in, than my bed?

If I could have afforded a $600+ chair at the time, I would have bought one, but my budget at that time was around $200*, max. And that was the best $200, fabric covered, high back chair with arm rests that I could find, that was made by a company with a reputation for producing mattresses that offered good back support.

When the chair arrived, my back was in such bad shape that I could barely stand up. My husband brought the box upstairs, and I assembled the chair while sitting down, on my old chair. Then it was a matter of just pushing the old chair our of the way and sitting my butt in the new one. Within 24 hours, I noticed a real difference, and instead of my back getting worse, it actually started to heal, and within a few days I was good as new.

And the chair has served me well enough over the past 8 years, that I'd even consider tossing away all 4 of my oak kitchen chairs (that have seen better days), and replace them all with something similar to this desk chair, if I could get ones in leather, without arm rests. As much as I hate leather to sit on, it's much more practical for use in a kitchen, where chairs would need to be able to be easily wiped clean and not absorb spills directly into the cushions. And the adjustable height would make them perfect for my kitchen table, which is unusually high, too high for standard height kitchen chairs. And that also would mean that when using my laptop, I could have the same comfort as sitting at my desk, without having to drag my desk chair into my kitchen. And having wheels, nobody would ever have to hear that horrific sound of a wooden kitchen chair sliding across a textured floor, ever again. :D

But that dream will have to wait, since I have better things to do with my money, at the moment, than spending $800+ on new kitchen chairs. And before anyone gets the wrong idea, no, I am not requesting or accepting donations to help cover the costs, because the wooden chairs I have are still quite usable and replacing them can wait as long as I need. A trip to Home Depot to buy the appropriate drill bits & screws, to finish reinforcing the chairs, along with a good set of the right type of steel glides, would cost far less and make those wooden chairs last a another 20 years, at least.

*Thank you again, to everyone that has used my software and donated to support further development, during 2006-2008. I wouldn't have been able to afford the new desk chair without your help. :-*

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2017, 06:19 AM »
I wanted to get a swopper for a long time, but wasn't willing to pay the 500+$/€ asking price. Saw this one (pic below) in ikea lately at ~ 50$, and thought I'd give it a go -- have only being using it a few days, but am getting used to it, and I like it so far.

Oups -- just now, I see it's described as 'standing support' :o
I have it adjusted so I sit with my hips slightly above the level of my knees:

The dome seat does feel very 'pushy' -- a bit too firm. Takes a bit of getting used to. Also if you sit incorrectly (which is easy to do), you can go numb down there, even my legs went numb initially. But I seemed to quickly / intuitively find the right way of sitting. Disclaimer: I've learned to sit upright without support via the Gohkale method, so this wasn't a big change for me. The design of the stool though does push you towards sitting with a straight back.

nilserik-standing-support-black__0324793_PE518143_S4.JPGDo you use a good office chair when programming?
NILSERIK

My niece had another from them, a 20$ office chair called ALRIK.
I was amazed by this one - just has support in small of the back which pushes the back straight. I sat in it for (just) a while and found it very comfortable.
Tom

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2017, 09:51 AM »

What exactly does that term mean? When I read that, I conjured an image in my mind of how I used to use a standing desk at one of the places I used to work, resting one knee on a folding chair of the perfect height, keeping one foot off the floor, switching about once per hour to give the other foot a rest. I suppose having something of adjustable height, without a back, and a firm padded seat (like that "chair"), would probably have been more comfortable than the folding chair I used.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2017, 10:39 AM »

What exactly does that term mean? When I read that, I conjured an image in my mind of how I used to use a standing desk at one of the places I used to work, resting one knee on a folding chair of the perfect height, keeping one foot off the floor, switching about once per hour to give the other foot a rest. I suppose having something of adjustable height, without a back, and a firm padded seat (like that "chair"), would probably have been more comfortable than the folding chair I used.

I dont think it would be good as a 'standing chair', not one where you half-sit at any rate: like using an exercise ball, I'd be sliding off the edge of the domed seat, with all the complications that the combination of clothes and sliding give :-/
I've never actually done standing at a desk myself, but the knee method sounds interesting.
Tom

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2017, 10:47 AM »
I've never actually done standing at a desk myself, but the knee method sounds interesting.

It was out of necessity, since standing for 10+ hours was killing my feet. I am just lucky the length of my legs (from knee to floor) was perfect for that folding chair.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2017, 01:36 PM »

It was out of necessity, since standing for 10+ hours was killing my feet. I am just lucky the length of my legs (from knee to floor) was perfect for that folding chair.

different scenario, but I found having to stand around (for work, e.g. selling) a killer as well.
I'd much prefer to sit -- or move.
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2017, 03:21 PM »
I bought a Maverick A4 chair from Office Depot ten years ago and it still looks near brand new.  It's astonishing, really, if you consider how many hours I've got in this chair.  When I'm not travelling for work, I work from home so you can imagine the amount of work (and play) time I have in this seat.  I did have to replace the height-adjustment piston a few years ago but that's to be expected as they don't last forever.  The chair actually has a ten-year warranty on it, too.

http://www.officedep...on-High-Back-Fabric/

2017-03-31_152107.pngDo you use a good office chair when programming?