ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Do you use a good office chair when programming?

<< < (11/13) > >>

MilesAhead:
When I worked at IBM they bought a bunch of office chairs that looked like this one:

I am not sure if it is the exact model.  But I remember the manufacturer also made gas shocks for automobiles.  I used the chair for close to a year and never ran into the issue where the seat could not be adjusted high enough because the gas shock failed.  I found the exact same chair on sale at Office Max for $40.  The only thing with it was, the "cloth" upholstery was nylon and wore like iron.  Never wears out but not a good idea to sit in the chair in shorts unless you stuck a pad or cushion on it to keep your skin from being sanded off your legs.  :)

Great chair for cheap money.  The chair you mentioned is the same type they have at the college here.  All kinds of adjustments for the armrests etc..  It takes me 2 or 3 minutes to adjust everything before I can address the PC.  I found the armless model simpler.  Hit the lever to adjust the height and you are done.  :)

Edit:  I am cheap and love to get a bargain.  I think I bought this swivel chair in the mid 90s.  I used it up to the day I was evicted in Feb. 2013.  Even then to look at it you would think it has not been used.  I got my $40 worth!  :)

wraith808:
The Alera Elusion has been recommended on a few sites I've seen as an affordable high quality alternative to the big boys, so I bought one on craigslist without much testing, and I can't say I really like it.  I don't know it just doesn't feel very comfortable no matter how I adjust it.
-mouser (March 17, 2017, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got a no name (Flash Furniture) one from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012JJ2EEY/), mostly because the ability to roll the arms back meant I didn't have to have an extra stool for when I use my guitar.  It's been pretty good, and compares well to all of the $350 or less chairs that I've used.  I think that in order to get a better chair, you have to spend more than I'm willing to...

mouser:
because the ability to roll the arms back
--- End quote ---

Oooh nice!!  I always have to take the arms off my office chairs because they get in the way of my desk.  The ability to lift them out of the way would be awesome.

Deozaan:
I got a no name (Flash Furniture) one from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012JJ2EEY/), mostly because the ability to roll the arms back meant I didn't have to have an extra stool for when I use my guitar.  It's been pretty good, and compares well to all of the $350 or less chairs that I've used.  I think that in order to get a better chair, you have to spend more than I'm willing to...
-wraith808 (March 17, 2017, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

How long have you had it and how well has the material held up?

My last major chair purchase was about $150 IIRC for a nice "professional/executive" chair probably in 2008 or so. I decided to pay a bit extra for a 3-year extended warranty because the warranty was so cheap. A couple years later, all the faux-leather started cracking and peeling off. So shortly before the warranty expired, I was able to get a replacement--a similarly priced model--for free. And I'm glad I did because the damaged chair started deteriorating quickly. But the replacement, too, started to fall apart after about 3 years. It's been a longer, slower process. But they both leave lots of little black "droppings" all over the carpet, which sometimes even stick to the backside of my clothing.

Here's what my most recent chair looks like now after owning it for about 6 years:

With a close up shot of near the top of the backrest:

And here's a small sampling of the little "droppings" that I have to vacuum up all the time:

EDIT: I just realized I posted about the initial purchase of my "nice" chair in this very thread:

My two crappy metal chairs with fabric covered cardboard (or some kind of manufactured wood) both broke last month within weeks of each other. So I just bought a decent office chair for about $150, but strangely enough I can't find any information or pictures of it online.

It's an executive style chair made out of what is probably fake leather. It has massage motors in the lower and upper back. Seems pretty comfortable to me. It's a lot better than my previous chairs.
-Deozaan (June 15, 2008, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

mouser:
My main office chair has the same problem as yours Deo..  Except i ended up ripping all that fake peeling leather off and now it looks ok again :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version