topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Do you use a good office chair when programming?  (Read 64130 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Do you use a good office chair when programming?
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:49 PM »
Anyone want to recommend a reasonably priced office chair for long sessions of programming?
Does it make a difference?  What are your experiences?  My back has been bothering me just a little because i never sit properly.

taichimaster

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do you use a good office chair when programming?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 07:07 PM »
I had a discussion with CPilot last week about the very same topic as I am also on the market for a new chair.

I have always wanted to get an Aeron chair for my home office.

http://www.hermanmil...,a10-c440-p8,00.html
http://www.sit4less....hairs/aeronchair.php

It's a bit pricey but I figured if I am going to sit on my a$$ programming for a significant portion of my life, I might as well get a good one.  There are a few of these in my work place and they do feel nice when I tried them on.  It's going to be tough to get my wife's approval though :D

Check out the review http://www.egrindsto....uk/aeron_review.htm

P_AER_E012.jpg

Another supposedly good one is http://www.hermanmil...a10-c440-p62,00.html

ergon1.jpg

Let us know what you eventually decide :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 07:09 PM »
I suffered in the same way (just from sitting at a computer for long periods on a cheap office chair). I splashed out on a decent bit of furniture and haven't looked back since. Go for something that supports your lower back and is adjustable to your shape. If you are going to use a tradional type office chair (like the one immediately above this post) then footrests come highly recommended too.

Some people swear by the 'kneeling' style chairs for computer use, but I have never seen them at anthing other than sill prices. (eg. http://www.homeworki.../catalog/kneeler.cfm)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 07:14 PM by Carol Haynes »

taichimaster

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 07:13 PM »
I have one of these "kneeling" style chairs in my cube, but I never really get used to it so it's mostly for guest's use :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 06:34 AM »
aeron chari =  $1000

for a chair !??!?!!?

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 07:13 AM »
aeron chari =  $1000

for a chair !??!?!!?

;D ain't nobodies bottom worth that much.

I switch between a good old fashion wooded chair and (because I'm wireless) my recliner. That heated massage really works the kinks out.  :Thmbsup:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I used to have a pretty lousy wooden chair, but after I moved in with the gf I now have a more decent office-style chair :). Still not top-notch, but decent enough. No-name brand etc.
- carpe noctem

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:20 PM »
I once read a blogpost after someone bought a 2500 dollar chair -- and their argument was that they spend far more time in that chair than their car and considered it a reasonable investment.  That said, my chair is < 100 dollars and I really, really like it -- I bought it after my back started giving me trouble.  It's perfect for me, as it provides the right about of posture, support and comfort.
That said, it's a balance of comfort -- it's by no means posh, it's a simple piece of wood with fake leather over it -- and I love it.

Black Faux Leather Armless High Back Chair

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 09:17 PM »
My wireless card keeps giving me a blue screen of death, so I'm in the living room on my flatmate's "bean bag" chair that was $100 with a direct ethernet connection to the router.  The chair is four feet in diameter, so it's fairly large, but I don't like it very much because it isn't really filled with beans or bean-like things. Just giant chunks of foam so it's hard to shape the way you want it to. It encourages a reclining position which is kind of hard on my neck sometimes.

But for a standard office chair I recommend leg rests, and if you get one with arm rests I suggest one that has some sort of material/padding on them. My elbows get rubbed to soreness on the plastic/hard ones. It's also great if they are at about the same height as your desk.

If I had the money I would definitely be willing to spend up to a few hundred dollars for a chair, considering how much time I spend using the computer.

noth(a)nk.you

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • More than meets the eye.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My chair.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 08:11 PM »
After taking a job that meant I would spend long hours on the phone, I opted for a decent chair.

Went to Sam's, came up with this one (~$110 in-store):

It's more of a budget pick, but it works alright.  My major gripe is that the arms are too wide to fit under the desk (dorm furniture) and cannot be removed.

If you don't plan on leaning way back, I'd suggest one of those exercise balls.  They're cheap (~$10) and are supposed to strengthen your back, balance.  I used one of the 65cm balls over about six months (it squeezed under the desk!), but I have also worked with a woman who had used a larger variety for a couple of years.  What's more, they take up very little space in storage.  These could be purchased at any self-respecting sports shop.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 08:14 PM »
Love the chair in the second post... that is some SICK design! Awesome. The last post is nice too. Not as fancy as the one in the second, but still that's sweet ;)

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 11:13 PM »
I wish I had this chair, or a similar one. You can bounce up and down and uhm oscillate in all directions. So you actually don't sit still but move constantly. This relaxes some muscles while others are being used; it's like a workout while sitting!

I was allowed to test-sit one of these once for two hours and it was very comfortable. The chair I tested also had armrests and a backrest. The swinging and bouncing makes sure you do not overwork any muscles like you do when sitting still. These types of chairs are very expensive, but then again: how much are people willing to give to reduce pain?

I strongly recommend this chair, although it will take some time getting used to and it might be exhausting during the first few days of the workout... But maybe you should ask your whatever-therapist for a recommendation as well.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 03:13 AM »
house that is a truly strange chair - i'd love to try it out though.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 03:20 AM »
I've been sitting on evil hard wooden chairs until i couldn't take the bummpain no longer, and simply moved the couch to the computer. Our computers are next to the tv etc anyway, and our living room is basically our office, so I do most of my coding from the couch. You'd think it's comfortable, but truely it's not. (as you don't lean backwards for programming) but at least it's a step up from having a numb bumm from sitting on those hard chairs. I'm still waiting for a better alternative. :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 03:49 AM »
does anyone know if there is such a thing as a high quality chair meant for people who tend to site cross-legged (ie sit with their feet up on the seat of the chair).  and if not, maybe it would be a good invention..

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 04:04 AM »
My chair fell apart yesterday, i can't use it anymore, because the seat is not level anymore :(
So, i'm temporarily using my "giant pillow" as my computer seat.
Not being exactly this one, it's similar:

The only problem with it is that it isn't high enought for me to get to my desk, so, i'm in a bit of a unconfortable position.
Good thing this thread was started, it looks like i'll have to bue a new chair someday soon :(

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 02:11 AM »
One does not need to spend a fortune on a chair for it to be the most comfortable thing they have ever sat on.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2973/chair015do.jpg

I live in this chair. Not just when programming, but when watching tv, reading, doing my nails, etc.

People in my house fight over this chair...it's the most comfy one we have.

I used to have a long history of bad back problems before I got this chair. I think this chair fixed them.

My father came to my house one day back in 1998, to do a little work on my pc. He made the comment, when seeing my chair, that I should buy a new one...then he sat in it and changed his mind, kind of. Offered to trade me his brand new expensive leather chair for mine.

NO WAY! I already have a chair like that and hate it....gave it to my daughter for the desk in her room since it matches her leather sofa quite well.

This chair is now quite old, and was kind of old but in almost new condition when I acquired it. A neighbor of mine threw it away along with a desk. (My wasteful neighbors always seem to throw away great stuff.)

It's wide enough to sit with your feet up on the seat...which is probably why it's all lopsided now.

I plan on re-upholstering it, eventually...probably in stone washed blue demin and flannel, to match the decor of the room better and add extra padding to the seat too.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/8395/chair025xv.jpg

Since my cat seems to love the chair, too, the re-upholstering will have to wait till I can break him of his clawing habit. So for now I'll just keep buying rolls of duct tape to hold it together.

I wouldn't trade this chair for anything.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 01:43 PM »
I am one of the lucky folks that has an Aeron chair at work courtesy of the U.S. Government. At home my main desk chair is much more modest.

However today I am in my special back chair because my back is bothering me again. So now that I have a lap top I decided to buy one of those tables.

My local Walmart didn't have the one they show on their website, so I went across the street to OfficeMax. They had one, but it was $20 more. I decided that it was just time to get one, so I bought it.

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

I am using it right now and my back feels much better. I am certain that I will be futzing and fiddling with it for a while until I get it just the way I want it.

jah

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • i->c();
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 05:29 AM »
Mine cost 129euros and is well worth it as it sorted my back problem.

http://www.conforama...63/img/p111763-3.jpg

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 06:05 AM »
Mine cost 129euros and is well worth it as it sorted my back problem.

http://www.conforama...63/img/p111763-3.jpg

LOL - That is almost identical to my chair (which cost me £0.01 UKP as a sepcial offer - list price £75 ... ~ 110 Euro +VAT)

see Viking
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 06:09 AM by Carol Haynes »

jah

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • i->c();
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 07:34 AM »
lol, cheap chair for 1p. but none the less probably a good chair!

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 12:03 PM »
I've been using one of these lately, and it feels good to my sixty-year-old back.  I take it with me when I drive, too.  Costs sixty bucks at Amazon.

Obus Forme Lowback Backrest Support

http://www.amazon.co...1&pf_rd_i=507846

ovus forme.jpg
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:05 PM by mrainey »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 02:05 PM »
im using a crappy wood chair with boards stuffed with a thin strip of foam covered in cloth being passed off as cushions, and to make things worse, the chair is to low, and the desk is to high, so I want something that is more comfortable, and higher off the ground.
[Insert really cool signature here]

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 06:35 PM »
logo-ask.png

Well you guys from dc.com are way too advanced for the rest of the world, which is why slashdot only recently started a thread about this same topic!

go dc  :Thmbsup:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 06:38 PM »
p3lb0x should post some pics of the various chairs he has mutilated. Spends way too much time in front of the computer, that kiddo, and just can't sit still.
- carpe noctem