topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why My Mom Bought an Android, Returned It, and Got an iPhone  (Read 34378 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why My Mom Bought an Android, Returned It, and Got an iPhone
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 06:39 AM »
A Dell Streak might be an option for android ipod touch type.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

The Dell Streak appears to have a phone in it, but at least no hard keyboard reducing the screen size, so I could just ignore the fact that it is phone capable.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Dell Streak is dead... Dell had all stock pulled from vendors' shelves a month or so ago, triggering "happy, happy, joy, joy" rumours about Gingerbread or even Honeycomb being installed, but last week announced that they've cancelled the product altogether...

iPod Touch-esque Android devices include the Archos 5IT, Archos 48IT, Archos 32IT and 43IT (all with resistive screens), the Samsung Galaxy Players (3.2 and 5 inch versions) and the Cowon D3 (I *think* it is the D3). There are others, but these are the ones that I am aware of. The latter two have capacitive screens. The 3.2" Galaxy has a pretty chintzy screen resolution (something like 240X320) while the 5 inch version sounds wonderful.

I have the Archos 43IT and love it... however, there are some major limitations to it: 256MB of RAM, the touch screen is very finicky and there are some bugs in the firmware. No showstoppers (for me), but they are there! I also have the Archos 5IT (identical to the 48IT but includes built in GPS) and it is a wonderful little device. Sadly, firmware development has stalled at Android 1.6... The resistive touchscreen is REALLY good - I use it without a stylus without a problem - and the build quality very good.

Cowon D3 is apparently a real gem, but more expensive (I think) than and iPod Touch and the firmware is or was apparently buggy. Not sure if that's been sorted out or not.

ajp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 10:35 AM »
I mainly use my phone to make phone calls ... because, it's a phone.

My $0.02: if it's a phone, then it IS a phone, but if it's a "smartphone" I think it's not exactly a phone. Having used PDAs (Palms) for long before cellphones were a must for most, I firmly believe that the smartphone is the come of age of the PDA, and one crucial reason for its success is the inclusion of a phone in it. So no, PDAs are NOT dead, and a smartphone is not a phone, it's the ACTUAL personal computer that you carry around to do many things... placing phone calls, for example.

If you read above or ask around, you'll see "I mainly use my phone to read books / read news / listen to music / IM / Twitter...". So no, it's not (only) a phone.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 06:37 AM »
I did not read the page linked to in the original post.

After using iPhone 4 for almost a year, I have recently bought Samsung Galaxy S2.

It is pretty easy to use. Features wise it rocks, but UI wise of course nothing can beat iOS.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 07:15 AM »
Man, I haven't been on this site in aaaaages.  But I saw this in the newsletter and thought I'd chime in.

I don't have a lot to add, just that my husband bought me an HTC Desire Z as a present for turning in my PhD thesis, and I have to say it's pretty cool.  So far I mostly use it to surf the net (in the house or out in the garden, using the wireless connection), read ebooks, and listen to music, but I like the gadgety-ness of it and being able to install all kinds of crazy apps.

Anyway, this is mostly just to say that I imagine the specific model of phone has a lot to do with the problems people might have, rather than android itself. This particular phone that I have seems to have a decent battery life (I charge it about every other day), doesn't have a noticeable lag, and has all the bells and whistles that I expected it to have, like the ability to watch videos on the web and be annoyed by flash ads on normal websites. But then it's also a UK version that came unlocked, straight from HTC rather than from a phone company, so it doesn't have any branding or apps except HTC's. I don't know how much that impacts things.
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 08:13 AM »
It is pretty easy to use. Features wise it rocks, but UI wise of course nothing can beat iOS.

WP7, by a landslide. I'm running Mango on my handset (HTC Surround) and it's da bomb! I loved WP7 prior to installing the beta, but Mango subtly augments and enhances just about everything. I have devices running iOS 4.3.5, Android 1.6 and Android 2.21 and I VASTLY prefer the GUI in WP7.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 11:41 AM »

My $0.02: if it's a phone, then it IS a phone, but if it's a "smartphone" I think it's not exactly a phone.

Not exactly a phone, is still a phone ... Especially when it just so happens to be called a phone, be it smart or otherwise. I don't care what else it does, I was at a phone store, to get a phone ... and that's what I'll be using it for, as that is what I went after in the first place. :)

Do I have a "Smart" phone? Yes. However the rest of its features only serve to allow people an ever increasing number of ways to annoy the shit out of me even when they are not physically present. Hence my two favorite features of the device are that it allows me to call people when I need to speak with them, and it has this delightful little button on the top that allows me to shut the son-of-a-bitch off.

...Yes, I am getting old and cantankerous.

:D

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 12:44 PM »

My $0.02: if it's a phone, then it IS a phone, but if it's a "smartphone" I think it's not exactly a phone.

Not exactly a phone, is still a phone ... Especially when it just so happens to be called a phone, be it smart or otherwise. I don't care what else it does, I was at a phone store, to get a phone ... and that's what I'll be using it for, as that is what I went after in the first place. :)

Do I have a "Smart" phone? Yes. However the rest of its features only serve to allow people an ever increasing number of ways to annoy the shit out of me even when they are not physically present. Hence my two favorite features of the device are that it allows me to call people when I need to speak with them, and it has this delightful little button on the top that allows me to shut the son-of-a-bitch off.

...Yes, I am getting old and cantankerous.

:D

Interesting, why not just get a plain old dumbphone then?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Interesting, why not just get a plain old dumbphone then?

(fair question!) Because the office insisted, and is paying for the phone. Left to my own devices (pun intended), I'd just get a plain phone. Assuming I could find one...considering they are trying to make it impossible to not get stuck with a data plan these days.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Even in a backwater like Paraguay it is becoming seriously hard to buy a new "dumb" phone. Whether you want it or not, the only options available are the not so-"dumb", the smart and (when money is not a problem) really smart phones.

Went to the official Nokia dealer here to get a dumb one....and I leave with a 5530! Besides good salesmanship and my attraction to the "blinkenlights" it offered I now do not have what I actually was out to get...a phone to call with.

Ah well, at least it is relatively easy to write SMS messages with it, which is often the most efficient way of communicating over here anyway.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 03:45 PM »
Even in a backwater like Paraguay it is becoming seriously hard to buy a new "dumb" phone. Whether you want it or not, the only options available are the not so-"dumb", the smart and (when money is not a problem) really smart phones.

Remember back in the 80's when people thought it would be so cool to have a cellphone that would fit in their pocket. And here we are 30 years later still hoping for the same thing.

OOooo but its got a 4" screen... Right. ...And I'm supposed to put the rest of my shit where?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Exactly why I'm still using a Samsung D900. It's "crap" but it's thin enough to go in my pocket without being a problem (specifically why I bought it, via eBay). It's amazing, you can use it like a phone (I know, incredible) and it's even got Tetris on it. So where's the smart bit? At home built into a computer that has an internet connection.

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 04:59 PM »
Well, I have a pretty 'dumb' phone ... SE K530i. Had it for years, and it's really good at ... making phone calls.
Much better than the nearly TOTL K750i I had before. And probably better than an iPhone.

And I have a Palm M515. Actually, I have four of them, plus an M500 and two extra batteries in case all of the others have worn out.

Why?

1) I don't feel like paying for a data plan. And I have a (non-data) carrier plan with a monthly basic rate of zero (okay, I admit it's a >10 y old plan for journalists with a 100% rebate on the monthly basic fee). For making phone calls, I rarely ever pay more than 10 Euros in any month.

2) I need a portable organizer (= PIM), but don't feel like putting my personal (PIM) data somewhere on the net.

3) I can lock down the PDA, which I can't do with something that also doubles as a phone.

4) I prefer putting my files on an encrypted USB thumb drive rather than on Dropbox, Evernote, or the like. Although I have to admit that both are tempting.

5) I have two pretty nifty cases for the M5xx form factor:
  a) Palm Leather Wallet case.
  b) Kensington aluminum hard case. So sturdy you can let a tank roll over it.

6) The battery of the PDA lasts for more than a week. And the one of the phone for several days.

7) I prefer reading paper books. Especially as my eyes don't get younger.

Those cases are actually the main reason why I had Palm Tungstens and a Win Mobile 6 smartphone gathering dust unused. I've never seen anything like those for one of the touchscreen-smartphones. I usually use the one I feel better suited for the situation. And I still have spares for those two as well.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Well, I've got a very dumb LG cell phone for which I pay $20 every three months.  :Thmbsup:  Admittedly, I don't use it all that often, but I have it when I need it.  And since I rarely use it, the battery goes for months on a single charge.  I confess, though, that I was about to buy an Optimus V android and join the more-or-less modern world, but then I found that there was no decent Scrabble game available for it.  I've got my priorities, and that for me was the deal-breaker.  ;D  So I kept my dumb phone and am continuing to use my PalmTX for everything else.  Yes, the TX has a very good Scrabble game  :) , as well as a Spanish/English dictionary, a French/English dictionary, a German/English dictionary, my calendar (Datebk 6), my contacts, memos, email, a not-very-good web browser, wi-fi, bluetooth, a bunch of movies, and more. )  

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Man, you guys are cranky! Get off my lawn, indeed. Hehe. Personally I love my smart phone. A few years ago before I got a cell phone at all, when all my friends pretty much had them, I was kind of against them. And regular cell phones *aren't* an essential for me - if I had one I would probably keep it off a lot of the time. But a smart phone, that's a different story. So damn useful all the fricking time. I don't see how any serious computer user can avoid their utility for long. They are an awesome complement to a proper computer or laptop.

On another note, an update from my friend who had an iPhone and wanted Android: He bought an HTC Evo 3D with Sprint and he's happy overall, but definitely has a few issues. I'm not clear whether he prefers it over his iPhone fully yet, but I know he's had some problems that he did not have with his iPhone, issues like random reboots and some browser pages persistently reloading. So that's not so great. He was never a huge app user on his iPhone and I don't think he is in Android yet either. But we'll see. I'm curious how things will be in a few months.

I think Mandork has it right: it really depends on which phone you get. And in that regard the iPhone/Android debate is almost *exactly* like the Mac/PC debate. Mac's "just work" (no, not really, but maybe more on average than PCs), largely because they are made by a single manufacturer, have a single OS, and Apple has not been too concerned about long-term backward compatibility nor allowing for a range of hardware upgrades (e.g. few graphics card options). PCs are vastly more configurable and flexible, available in a range of different models, but they have more problems, or at the very least there are *problematic models* and/or manufacturers. So that's the thing, with Android and PCs, you have choice, and choice means *you can make a bad choice*. With iPhone you really have no choice, and while certain specific Android models may exceed iPhone in some areas, *overall* iPhone is a more polished platform and experience. So unless you get a good device on Android, you're likely to find it less "easy to use" than iPhone.

That being said, perhaps an exception to this, or at least an addendum, is that I personally find the iPhone UI atrocious. Once you get it, it's fine, albeit limited and annoying. But having used Android, it's so much more intuitive. I've played with WP7 a bit and really didn't like that either, but it wasn't enough experimenting to say whether I preferred it over iOS. I'm curious to try more since some people do rave about it, but ultimately I'm pretty sold on Android as a base platform. The trick is getting the right phone, right manufacturer, right carrier, and that's a lot of combinations to get right.

So perhaps in summary: Android has higher potential for awesome, iOS has more consistent execution of good-to-awesome. And WP7 doesn't sell enough to matter. ;)

- Oshyan

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Best to have one of each, for the best of both worlds!

dumbphone ($15 / month for me (NET10))
smart non phone ($0 /month)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 01:55 PM »
So perhaps in summary: Android has higher potential for awesome, iOS has more consistent execution of good-to-awesome. And WP7 doesn't sell enough to matter.

Out of the dozen of us here with smart phones. we have:
 One (sales type) with an iPhone that has had to be reminded 3 times in the past 2 months how to find the Exchange server.

Most of the others are running some flavor of Android all of which have had to be flattened at least 5 times in he past 6 months for various reasons, many of which involved getting (to the Exchange server) Email.

And one Odd-Man-Out (me) who insisted on having a Windows (WP7) phone...Just to be an asshole. However, in the above mentioned very same past few months. The Windows Phone has consistantly just worked requiring only a good charging every other day.

So I guess Kewl ain't everything. ;)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Hmm, shocking that WP7 would work with Exchange and others would have problems? Hehe. Or do you mean just in general? Also, all/most of the WP7 phones I know to date are fairly consistent hardware-wise and sort of have a baseline level of quality (a good thing, of course). That's true of iOS as well. Less so of Android unfortunately, but that's one price of being open...

- Oshyan

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 02:32 PM »
Stoic Joker - I'm the odd-man out WP7 user where I am, too. I'm the odd-man out in that, in almost a year, I've yet to see another WP7 phone in the wild anywhere in my hometown, population @80,000. It's strange because I think it is a great phone and a great OS. I've experienced the oft-reported (not always) subtle sales pitches away from WP7 to iOS or Android in shops (I often go in and look at other phones - because I'm quite sad, really  ;D), so there is a clear sales bias against the OS.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I want WP7 to be successful, and actually want a WP7 device.  However, I run into the dual problem of (a) some of the apps I use on my phone daily aren't available on WP7 and (b) I have too much money invested into iOS apps.  My first smartphone was a windows mobile phone, and I have had several since.  I had the same pain when I moved from windows mobile (my last was a Pantech Duo that my daughter only recently upgraded from), and don't relish going through that again.

*sigh*

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Hmm, shocking that WP7 would work with Exchange and others would have problems? Hehe. Or do you mean just in general?

Both actually, but if you look at Office 2007's track record with the same RPC over HTTP style connection it isn't really a given out of the gate. I got a laptop on the bench now I'm about to either downgrade to 03 or shoot.

@Darwin - Good Man!  

I too have run into some of the cronic sales bias against the Windows Phones. Fortunately I have a rather strong bias against sales people...which tends to make them feel bad after I finish expressing it (Tehehe). ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 03:23 PM »
I want WP7 to be successful, and actually want a WP7 device.  However, I run into the dual problem of (a) some of the apps I use on my phone daily aren't available on WP7 and (b) I have too much money invested into iOS apps.  My first smartphone was a windows mobile phone, and I have had several since.  I had the same pain when I moved from windows mobile (my last was a Pantech Duo that my daughter only recently upgraded from), and don't relish going through that again.

*sigh*

Look on the bright side, at least you won't need to worry about the store being sold out of them when you get ready to make the jump.

Proximo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Proximo Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 11:11 AM »
I consider myself a Geek but choose not to use Android.  Why is it that people say Android is for Geeks?  If this is the case, then Google really messed up.  There are more normal everyday users out there than there are Geeks.  If you are trying to succeed and become the world leader of any platform, you need to realize who you are designing it for.

This is why Linux has and never will succeed to the level of Windows or OSX.

As a Geek, I am also a professional a husband and a father.  My life is busy enough as it is and I need my Tech devices to simply work.  The iPhone is not only simple, but it does exactly what I need it to do in a simple and predictable way.

I love and use most of Google Services but I still carry an iPhone.  I love Google Services but love Apple hardware.  I don't think this makes me a newbie or stupid.  I think spending less time with a device that should make life easier is intelligent.  Having a device suck more energy out of me than I need and making my life more difficult is actually stupid.

Android is too unpredictable.  When I look at the offerings, I need to consider the manufacturer because their UI's are completely different.  I need to pay attention to the version of the OS since there are several out there.  I need to be careful of the Market place since a lot of Malware is found in there because it's not policed. 

No thanks.  I will stick with the iPhone.  It works, it's simple, I always have the latest version and I can spend more time living life rather than tweaking my device.
"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent because they don't realize they can fly like Superman."

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 12:35 PM »
^ +1.  That sums up my feelings too.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Why is it that people say Android is for Geeks?
IMHO, it's more that Android is also for geeks. The iPhone 4 my employer forced into my hands, feels is much more closed than the Android I've been carrying around for more than 1 year now. But that one I choose myself because of the opportunities the platform offers... And ofcourse I think of myself being a technical/geek user :D