topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What Android Apps Do You Use?  (Read 181277 times)

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What Android Apps Do You Use?
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2021, 11:20 PM »
EDIT: v5.6 has disappeared from F-Droid, (looks like they only keep the current and previous two versions).

Old versions here: https://k-9-mail.en....com/android/versions

Should I uninstall the newest version before installing v5.6? Thanks

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2021, 01:13 AM »
@milesahead:
Sounds like a DRM problem to me.

I'm sure there is software that is able to strip DRM from books, so a tool like Calibre can convert it to a different format that make it easy to read in your favorite reading software on your computer. Whatever this may be.

You are not allowed to use such software, and you probably shouldn't. Still, there is also something to say that you should be able to read your book on whatever device you own after purchasing that book. And as long as that book never "leaves" your library, the author/publisher/distributor aren't really hurting on the financial end. No harm, no foul.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2021, 09:34 AM »
I'm sure there is software that is able to strip DRM from books, so a tool like Calibre can convert it to a different format that make it easy to read in your favorite reading software on your computer. Whatever this may be.

My understanding is that Amazon uses its own encryption on top of the DRM.  It seems the only way to strip the file of all the crap involves using the Amazon physical kindle reader device.  If I want to read an Amazon kindle book on the Windows Amazon Kindle app I have to buy it from my Windows laptop.  The alternative is to send the book to the Web Reader thing at Amazon to read it with any web browser.

The Android sharing thing would be okay but I have not been able to find one of those Android tablets with attached keyboards for small money.  At least not one I can pick up at Walmart.  Those Samsung tablets get into the $800 plus range very quickly.  I may as well buy a Laptop if I am going to spend that kind of money.

I am reading a SciFi novel on my phone.  I guess I will acclimate in time.  I used to have a little RCA 7" tablet with keyboard that was fine for reading eBooks.  But they are very slow booting, as in 5 minutes plus, and tend to have old versions of Android along with small storage and less than a gig of ram.  So I was hoping to find something similar but a bit more capable.

Using the phone is likely the easiest way out though.   ;D

Edit:  It turns out there is an updated version of the RCA Voyager Pro 7" tablet with keyboard.  The price is 65 bucks plus shipping.  No more in store pickup.  It has 2 GB ram but still only 16 GB storage(which is likely closer to 12 usable) so booting is likely to still be an exercise in patience.  I already have a Windows laptop with 11.6" screen, plus I hate to have computer stuff shipped to the shelter.  If I get a subsidized apartment then it will depend on the mailbox situation if stuff like that would be cool to ship etc..  No telling how long before a permanent address pans out.  I feel like life is hovering over the back burner.  I just got a state ID after nearly 10 years without one.  Movement seems to be glacial.  I guess they figure if they wait long enough you'll die making your problems moot.   8)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 10:50 AM by MilesAhead »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2021, 07:49 PM »
EDIT: v5.6 has disappeared from F-Droid, (looks like they only keep the current and previous two versions).

Old versions here: https://k-9-mail.en....com/android/versions

Should I uninstall the newest version before installing v5.6? Thanks

Yes, export K-9's settings first, uninstall it, sideload 5.6, and import the settings - you will need to enter any passwords for accounts, they don't get exported.

Also, I'm not sure but the earlier versions from UpToDown might auto-update since they're just the APK pulled from the Play store whereas F-Droid versions are built by F-Droid from the repo without the Play store link so can't auto-update.

I've attached F-Droid's 5.6 version.

Downgrade instructions at K-9 Mail's forum.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:20 PM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2021, 08:13 PM »
For transferring files to/from my phone, I just use the Android version of Total Commander. With that I can connect through WiFi with my cabled computer. You can get extra modules for this version of Total Commander to use the LAN directly. Or FTP/SFTP or even directly using just WiFi between 2 devices. All for free.

Started using KDE Connect since they've recently released a Windows client, (Windows 10 only):

Features listed as working in this beta build include:

Shared clipboard to/from Windows and Android
    See phone battery and signal strength on desktop
    Remote Input (i.e. use your phone as a mouse on Windows)
    Notifications sync
    File transfer
    Pause Music
    Multimedia remote control
    Presentation Remote
    End-to-end TLS encryption
    WiFi connection
    Run custom commands on the desktop remotely
    Locate your phone

To date it has been the easiest method by far for devices on the same WiFi network that I've ever used.

Right-click a file->Send to->Send to remote device via KDE Connect for the computer, select a file and Share via KDE Connect on Android - then select the device you want to send it to.

All versions available from here.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2021, 04:56 AM »
I've attached F-Droid's 5.6 version.

Downgrade instructions at K-9 Mail's forum.

Thank you very much

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2021, 09:25 AM »
Can anyone recommend a note taking app that will store notes locally and allow for export?

Diarium is one possibility, I can scroll through entries with the timeline view, and it allows export as txt, but I'm curious about alternatives.

(I've tried a search but my search fu not very good and the internet doesn't seem to understand the word 'offline'...)
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2021, 11:57 PM »
Notally is an option (https://play.google....p;hl=en_US&gl=US) It's also on FDroid.

Same for Omni Notes (https://play.google....p;hl=en_US&gl=US).

Both are also FOSS.

https://github.com/OmGodse/Notally and https://github.com/f...icoiosue/Omni-Notes/

There are quite a few others that have similar functionality if you go to FDroid and search Notes...

If you're not wanting a list of notes, two others that I use are Markor and iA Writer.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: August 25, 2021, 01:55 AM »
Thanks wraith, will check those out  :up:

EDIT// I'm using Markor -- was one of the first I installed, and I liked it, so didn't really try out any of the others.
Tom
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 03:15 PM by tomos »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2022, 04:43 PM »
Are any of you hold-outs who stick to the older version of K-9 Mail, with its better accounts list, having any problems with it?  Two of my accounts (with GMX) no longer work; K-9 hangs or crashes now.  This happens to me both on my old Android 4.2.2 (!) tablet and on my Android 11 phone.  I presume the webmail provider has changed something, because my other accounts still appear to work. 

Admittedly, I'm mostly using FairEmail now on the phone (thanks to 4WD for the recommendation) but it doesn't, as far as I can see, use Android SharePity; K-9 Mail does that, but doesn't always render HTML email properly.  I wish people would stick to plain text, but they don't  :(

Correction: FairEmail does have Android Share enabled, but it's well hidden.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 02:25 PM by rjbull »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2022, 10:12 AM »
I used to have a Moto e5 plus phone.  It came pre-configured shake the phone toggles the flashlight.  I got a OnePlus N10 5G phone and missed that feature.  I found an App that works even when the screen is off.  Shake-Torch is free and may be downloaded from the Google Play Store.  My phone has Android 11 so I assume the app is backward compatible to recent Android versions.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2022, 11:27 AM »
^ thanks, will try. I also miss that feature since I moved on from Moto
Tom

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2022, 02:25 PM »
For better security, "an open DNS recursive service for free security and high privacy":
https://quad9.net

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2022, 01:35 AM »
For better security, "an open DNS recursive service for free security and high privacy":
https://quad9.net

Also ControlD's DNS: https://controld.com/free-dns

You can choose from preconfigured filters (just enter the appropriate DNS: IP4, IP6, DoH, DoT):
  • Unfiltered,
  • Malware,
  • Ads & Tracking,
  • Social,
  • Family Friendly,
  • Uncensored

Or create your own custom filters (a DNS URL for DoH and DoT will be created) from:
  • Ads & Trackers,
  • Adult Content,
  • Dating,
  • Drugs,
  • Gambling,
  • Government Sites,
  • Malware,
  • Social,
  • Typosquatting

If you sign up for a paid service you get access to more filters as well as other things like Smart DNS for geo-restricted content - they're a separate service of Windscribe VPN.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: March 23, 2022, 07:38 AM »
@milesahead:
Sounds like a DRM problem to me.

You are not allowed to use such software, and you probably shouldn't. Still, there is also something to say that you should be able to read your book on whatever device you own after purchasing that book. And as long as that book never "leaves" your library, the author/publisher/distributor aren't really hurting on the financial end. No harm, no foul.

DeDRM Tools is a set of plug-ins for Calibre that will remove DRM from most purchased (but not rented or borrowed) Kindle/Nook/Kobo/Adobe ebooks.  I use it for many ebooks I buy from Amazon, Adobe or B&N in order to read them in programs that handle footnotes and cross-references better than Kindle or Adobe Reader, or when I just want to keep an archival copy.  Note that for Kindle ebooks, you will usually need to have available an older version of the Kindle reader for PC or Mac, or a very old Kindle device, in order to download a file in a format from which the DRM can be removed. That usually means a second PC or device.

DeDRM seems to have recently been forked and has a new developer who goes by the name noDRM.  This lengthy mobileread thread follows its development.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2022, 09:16 AM »
myTuner

I cannot seem to find wired earbuds that will work with over the air FM Radio apps.  The wire in the earphone jack is never tight enough to be dependable as antenna.  Besides, with myTuner I can listen to internet radio streams for stations I liked when I lived in Boston.

I haven't tried it while walking around yet.  But I did not see any comments complaining about dropped connectios so I hope for the best.   8)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2022, 07:48 AM »
After watching a tech video, switched back from a try with DuckDuckGo's similar and now using regularly RethinkDNS

This video about "Best Ad-Blocker Apps" from HowToMen is the one that helped me decide.

And while i like Firefox, it is so much slower (for me) than Vivaldi.
Huge fan of url box at bottom option along with reader mode (Firefox outperforms here any other AFAIK).
But Vivaldi speed over Firefox is tops!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 11:01 AM by dantheman »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: May 06, 2022, 09:58 AM »
I just found a free music player app called CloudBeats that allows me to easily queue tunes to play directly from folders on my Google Drive.  I have only messed with it for a short time this morning.  But it only took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to add music files to the play queue without having to download them first.

Very intuitive to use.   :Thmbsup: