topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: EditPad Pro 7 - released  (Read 42392 times)

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
EditPad Pro 7 - released
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Update: 2011-05-16 - Version 7 released today!

EditPad Pro 7 is now in the process of being beta tested. As an avid EPP6 user, I was invited to join in on the fun, but normally I avoid (like the plague) pre-release versions of software. However, in this case I decided to make an exception and give it a go because 1.) The quality of JGSoft products tends to be excellent, (so a beta release is likely safe/stable), and 2.) there are a couple features in EPP6 that have been bugging me and I wanted to see if they had been corrected in the latest version. We'll it turns out that all of my grievances with the older version have been resolved. Here are the complaints that I had with EPP6 which have been corrected in the latest version:

• The Ctrl+Tab keystroke, used to switch between documents, did not follow the most-recently-used order - it would simply move from file to file in linear order. Now this option can be selected either way.
  • When opening/saving projects and files, there was only one "last used" folder that would come up as default. For my work-flow this was causing me headaches because I like to keep all my project files in one folder separate from the actual files associated with the project. The new version now independently keeps two separate "last-used" folders, one for files and one for projects.
  • One of the cool features of EPP6 is that it keeps a separate set of options for each filetype that you work with. Settings like word wrap, auto-indenting, LF vs CRLF line terminations, show line numbers, etc, can be set independently for each file type. But the interface used to change these settings forced you to edit each filetype one at a time (and there are dozens of different file types). If you wanted to change one setting for all file types at once (say turning on line numbers), you had to do it over and over for each type one at a time. With the new version you can change common settings all at once.
  • There was no way to quickly copy/paste a file's path/filename. Now you can right-click the files tab and get it into the clipboard.
  • Regarding bookmarks, as I recall, one of the reviewers from a previous thread did not like the fact that EPP did not have a "Next-bookmark" and "Prev-bookmark" hotkey capability. These have been added and there is no longer a 10 bookmark limit.

So I was pretty thrilled to find out that all my complaints had been addressed. But once I started playing with it a bit more I got more than just a little bit excited when I discovered some *very* nice gems. One in particular that really stands out for me is the way it handles...

Matching brackets The already very powerful syntax highlighting capability has been enhanced to provide generalized nested bracket matching. But not just simple brackets such as curly braces, but anything that can be defined with regular expressions. As an example, when editing an HTML file, when your cursor is on an opening tag it is highlighted along with its matching closing tag. But, the really cool thing is that the Ctrl+] hotkey will jump the cursor back and forth from the opening tag and its matching closing tag. And it is able to do this with nested tags. It is VERY handy to be able to jump to a matching tag when working with HTML/XML markup. Very cool! If you are into regex, you can custom design your own coloring schemes to provide nested "brackets" for any file type imaginable. i.e. You could have "brackets" be defined as "do"-"while" or "if"-"then"-"else" or anything else that can be described with a regex.

These were the highlights for me. You can read more about other improvements on JGSoft's EditPad Pro 7 beta page.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:46 PM by widgewunner »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: EditPad Pro 7-BETA
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:08 PM »
i love the idea of more powerful nesting bracket highlighting, so i may give this a try.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:59 PM »
One needs a paid licence to access their forum ?
I searched their website but could not find any link to a forum.
So this beta is restricted to old buyers only, yes ?

SKA

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:14 AM »
One needs a paid licence to access their forum ?
I searched their website but could not find any link to a forum.
So this beta is restricted to old buyers only, yes ?

SKA
The forum is private and is built into the application! Yes, the beta is available only to owners of EPP6.

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:16 AM »
widgewunner, thanks for the heads up.

Some of these issues have annoyed me as well, so it's good to see they will be fixed.
This one in particular
When opening/saving projects and files, there was only one "last used" folder that would come up as default...
and this issue always bugs the heck out of me. Why it was never there in the first place (or added to V6), I have no idea.
There was no way to quickly copy/paste a file's path/filename. Now you can right-click the files tab and get it into the clipboard

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:20 PM »
-congratulations on your 100'th post, NigelH  :up:

--------------
One needs a paid licence to access their forum ? ... So this beta is restricted to old buyers only, yes ?
The forum is private and is built into the application! Yes, the beta is available only to owners of EPP6.

-yes, but:

100% Satisfied or Money Back

Your purchase is covered by Jan Goyvaerts's personal three-month risk-free unconditional money-back guarantee. When you buy EditPad Pro, you can try the full software risk free for three months.

A single license is €40. But I could find no way to change the currency, so my question (to any American reader) is of course, is it $40 ? :tellme:

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 01:42 PM »
Presumably it is whatever your credit card says 40 Euros translates to.

Sorry - I am being dense - how do you get to the forum from inside the software? I am a registered user running 6.4.4 but I can't see any forum access????
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:49 PM by Carol Haynes »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 02:20 PM »
A single license is €40. But I could find no way to change the currency, so my question (to any American reader) is of course, is it $40 ?

I get quoted US$ 49.95 (I'm in California).

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 03:35 PM »
Presumably it is whatever your credit card says 40 Euros translates to.

Sorry - I am being dense - how do you get to the forum from inside the software? I am a registered user running 6.4.4 but I can't see any forum access????

The forum is a part of the new version 7 EPP. It is accessed either from the help menu or the farthest right button on the main toolbar.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Am I the only one who can see a circular argument here - you can only get into the forum via version 7 but you can't get the beta without visiting the forum ???

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 04:27 PM »
PURCHASE version 6, so you can TRY version 7, and then get your money back, if so.

Edited: Sorry, I didn't see widgewunner's post, before I first posted this post post...

The EditPad Pro 7 beta is available to all licensed users of EditPad Pro 6. To download the beta, simply enter the same email address and user ID you use to download EditPad Pro 6.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:33 PM by Curt »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Never mind I am being dense - I should have read the original post and followed the link!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:33 PM by Carol Haynes »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Perhaps the EditPad Pro author might be willing to donate some copies for us to give away?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 05:02 PM »
I love EditPad! Glad to hear about the recent development on this great software.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 06:56 PM »
I love EditPad Pro as well. I have a lifetime license for UltraEdit but I much, much prefer EditPad Pro - so much so that I recently uninstalled edit-32, despite the lifetime license. I can't quite put my finger on why I prefer EditPad Pro... I suppose that if pressed I'd point to the GUI, though.

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 09:03 PM »
I love EditPad Pro as well. I have a lifetime license for UltraEdit but I much, much prefer EditPad Pro - so much so that I recently uninstalled edit-32, despite the lifetime license. I can't quite put my finger on why I prefer EditPad Pro... I suppose that if pressed I'd point to the GUI, though.

Like you, I also have a lifetime UE32 license, but I do keep it around because it still has a few tricks up its sleeves that EPP does not yet have. i.e.

• Powerful column mode editing allows you to:

• Type in text into multiple rows simultaneously.
    • Fill a column block with a sequence of numbers in hex or decimal with or without leading zeroes.

• Sort a selection of rows with multiple column range specifications.
  • Perform operations (such as converting tabs-2-spaces) on only a selected region rather that the whole file. (EPP does this document-wide Correction: this behavior has been fixed in EPP7).
  • Powerful built-in Javascript scripting engine.

But I stick with EPP because of its superior search and replace regex engine. (Although it has yet to implement recursive expressions such as '(?R)' - I don't know of any editor that can do that yet.)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 10:57 PM »
widgewunner - you're right about the column editing mode, I did use that a lot when I was working on my PhD. Don't need it anymore, though. The other thing that I totally agree about WRT EPP is the search and replace feature. This is one of the things that I was thinking about when I talked about the GUI being subtley superior. I'm crap with reg-ex, but love having it right there to play with (one hopes that eventually it'll "stick").

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 03:28 AM »
Have you tried either of the companion products from JGsoft - RegEx Buddy and RegEx Magic?

Both are directly available in EditPad Pro search pane and the Magic version requires no RegEx syntax knowledge! All the power of RegEx without the pain.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Have you tried either of the companion products from JGsoft - RegEx Buddy and RegEx Magic?

Both are directly available in EditPad Pro search pane and the Magic version requires no RegEx syntax knowledge! All the power of RegEx without the pain.

Yes... I have licenses for both. The real problem that I have is that once I quit my PhD I lost all need to actually use/learn Grep, so simply haven't taken the time and, indeed, haven't had the time. One day, though...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 09:37 AM »

How's regex magic?  I have to do an increasing amount with regex, and regex buddy has saved me more than once.  I got regex buddy on the cheap on a special, and Regex magic is pretty pricey though, so I haven't dropped the money yet...

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 11:22 AM »
...and the Magic version requires no RegEx syntax knowledge! All the power of RegEx without the pain.
Regex is like a very powerful complex weapon - you better learn precisely how it operates and use it very carefully or you will shoot your foot off!

The only guaranteed way to use regex safely and effectively is to spend the time it takes to really learn them. For that, there is: Mastering Regular Expressions by Jeffrey Friedl. I can honestly say that this is the most useful book I have ever read. (I was a software engineer for 20 somthing years before I took the plunge into regex - reading this book (4 times so far), has literally changed my life very much for the better.)

I use RegexBuddy all the time but have no need for the RegexMagic product.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 01:18 PM »
RegEx Magic is worth a look if you are, like me, clueless and can't be bothered to learn RegEx. I have had copies of Buddy and Magic for a long time but I find Buddy still requires you to know about what you are doing more.

My problem is that I use RegEx so rarely that every time I need to use it I have to start from scratch. RegEx Magic is designed to let you make RegEx expressions without learning RegEx itslef - which suits me.

If you haven't tried RegEx Magic download the trial and give it a whirl.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 04:01 AM »
Okay, so honest question here, because I just don't know.  I use TextPad at work because they bought a site license for it.  At home I use NotePad++ right now.  What makes EditPad Pro different/better from these two?

Just to start you out on one of my complaints - TextPad is very nice, but fairly expensive for individual use, and isn't really updated much. I understand the engine may be feature complete, but they could always keep up with various clip libraries, etc. to show continued involvement.  Many of the newest clips date back to 2004 timeframe!  So at least this is active.  Anything else?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 06:33 PM »
EditPad has always been a great editor, but I think that the JGsoft products are a bit too pricey for us "normal" consumers at all.
(That's why I purged anything related to it years ago.)

Anyway, +1 for the matching regex thingy...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05 AM »
I dabble with all the different editors just for fun.  I think EditPad is also becoming my preferred editor.  It all comes together very nicely.  It's clear that the author has that great feel for flexibility, simplicity, aesthetics, etc.  I used to be big on Emeditor, which is still good, but I just liked that it was fast more than anything else.  Ultraedit is very good, but a little big and klunky.  I use Notepad++ primarily, since it's free and is pretty darn good.  But if I were to pay for one, I think I would get Editpad.  i just like it more and more and more.